(Released) Materia MeshMaker plug-in

Comments

• With the others, I would instabuy this too. I like the real geometry versus a geoshell effect.

My only hope is that between finishing the product and the usual Daz pipeline to launch time is that it would be available before Christmas. The next couple of weeks will be a massive amount of Christmas and "Happy Holidays" renders. 

Regardless, I'll pick it up. I just hope it's available soon'ish instead of Spring when I'm probably not going to want to make Winter renders anymore wink

Agreed.
  • lilweep said:

Curious whether materia geometry can be instanced along with its parent object? Or at very least exported so can be reimported and instanced?

Absolutely yes, please take a look at this latest movie I made, I used Ultrascatter to populate the terrain with several instanced snowy stones.

• With the others, I would instabuy this too. I like the real geometry versus a geoshell effect.

My only hope is that between finishing the product and the usual Daz pipeline to launch time is that it would be available before Christmas. The next couple of weeks will be a massive amount of Christmas and "Happy Holidays" renders. 

Regardless, I'll pick it up. I just hope it's available soon'ish instead of Spring when I'm probably not going to want to make Winter renders anymore wink

It has been submitted so if things go well (and it's accepted of course), should be hopefully be there before Xmas.

It has been submitted so if things go well (and it's accepted of course), should be hopefully be there before Xmas.

• AWESOME!!

• Hurdy3DHurdy3D Posts: 1,037

there's a simelar free addon for blender 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iWJaOuapx-w

this addon has the feature to apply the snow only to selcted verticis. Would this also be possible with Mareria?

• gerster said:

there's a simelar free addon for blender 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iWJaOuapx-w

this addon has the feature to apply the snow only to selcted verticis. Would this also be possible with Mareria?

Not in the initial release.

•  

Awesome! Looking forward to its release :)

• lilweeplilweep Posts: 2,218

With the others, I would instabuy this too. I like the real geometry versus a geoshell effect.

hope they fast track it!

• lilweep said:

Curious whether materia geometry can be instanced along with its parent object? Or at very least exported so can be reimported and instanced?

Absolutely yes, please take a look at this latest movie I made, I used Ultrascatter to populate the terrain with several instanced snowy stones.

I am now picturing a snowy battlefield littered with discarded weapons and armor. This tool is very inspiring.

• Well it will be "before Christmas"... although I really do hope its begoer THIS Christmas laugh. I need a gift to myself....

• I am really hoping for this like really soon because I have a Christmas snow scene that could really use this.

edited December 2020

yes, dont they realise how much more money they get from this must-have product by releasing it early.

Also would this work on very complex geometry like hair to make the effect like below. I tried to do it with cloth simulation - i.e., just draping some cloth over the hair and then adding a snow texture to it, but is tedious to make drape properly and doesnt look good anyway.

Jon-Snow-in-Snow.jpg
    1200 x 600 - 238K
    drapedcloth.JPG
    752 x 659 - 58K
    Capture34.JPG
    944 x 658 - 101K
    Post edited by lilweep on
  • lilweep said:

yes, dont they realise how much more money they get from this must-have product by releasing it early.

Also would this work on very complex geometry like hair to make the effect like below. I tried to do it with cloth simulation - i.e., just draping some cloth over the hair and then adding a snow texture to it, but is tedious to make drape properly and doesnt look good anyway.

I think it looks great. 

• That looks good. Great job.

• Alessandro Mastronardi said:

just brainstorming... one solution could be the footprints could be part of the geometry.
    Just thinking of that you can select some objects/figures in the scene and when they "hit" the snow, they shape is cut of the snow -> footprints.

Regarding AM's plugin, it's primary functon is to add new geometry to a scene, not modify existing geometry - which is what you are asking for.  The snow surface he is showcasing appears to just be a plane, used to demonstrate the snow shader.

The idea was not modifiny existing geometry. It was checking if some selected object do collide with the snow geometry, which is added by the plugin to the scene. If there's a collision, the the collision would be cut off the new added snow geometry.

oh, i see, so you envision that, in your scene, the ground/terrain would be the object you add the Materia on.  And then there would be some mechanism within the plugin to exclude/consider the presence of secondary objects such as footprint-maker objects.

In the initial release Materia already presents options for disregarding some surfaces like eyes/mouth/tongue/teeth/face and so on, useful for characters in case you don't want them fully covered on specific areas. As a new branch of development, I'll certainly include the possibility to actually handle different groups/surfaces, have customized maps drive the polygon generation and maybe have objects in the scene have influence of it, so that, in the specific of footprints, say a character feet would deny polygon generation around them. Can be done.

If you can make it so the snow is affected by proximity, then if a set of foot shaped invisible props were made you could have your foot prints,,, or any other indentations as long as the object was set to be invisible in the render ( rather like some of the dummy instances used in ultra scatter and ultra scenery)  Paw prints, bird tracks and foot prints both shod and bare would be great especially if used with mud or sand!  

• Martinjfrost said:

Alessandro Mastronardi said:

just brainstorming... one solution could be the footprints could be part of the geometry.
    Just thinking of that you can select some objects/figures in the scene and when they "hit" the snow, they shape is cut of the snow -> footprints.

Regarding AM's plugin, it's primary functon is to add new geometry to a scene, not modify existing geometry - which is what you are asking for.  The snow surface he is showcasing appears to just be a plane, used to demonstrate the snow shader.

The idea was not modifiny existing geometry. It was checking if some selected object do collide with the snow geometry, which is added by the plugin to the scene. If there's a collision, the the collision would be cut off the new added snow geometry.

oh, i see, so you envision that, in your scene, the ground/terrain would be the object you add the Materia on.  And then there would be some mechanism within the plugin to exclude/consider the presence of secondary objects such as footprint-maker objects.

In the initial release Materia already presents options for disregarding some surfaces like eyes/mouth/tongue/teeth/face and so on, useful for characters in case you don't want them fully covered on specific areas. As a new branch of development, I'll certainly include the possibility to actually handle different groups/surfaces, have customized maps drive the polygon generation and maybe have objects in the scene have influence of it, so that, in the specific of footprints, say a character feet would deny polygon generation around them. Can be done.

If you can make it so the snow is affected by proximity, then if a set of foot shaped invisible props were made you could have your foot prints,,, or any other indentations as long as the object was set to be invisible in the render ( rather like some of the dummy instances used in ultra scatter and ultra scenery)  Paw prints, bird tracks and foot prints both shod and bare would be great especially if used with mud or sand!  

Certainly a feature to be added in an update. Thanks.

daz really wants to wait to release this huh

• Yeah, any updates on this? I'm really shocked they haven't released this yet.

• It's still in QA testing, hopefully will be there not too far from now. Nothing I can do on my end at this point, sorry.

• Understandable. Sorry it didn't get released before Christmas.

• MelissaGTMelissaGT Posts: 2,603

So looking forward to this!!!

• Mustakettu85Mustakettu85 Posts: 2,933

Materia is capable of generating a procedural convex polyhedron isosurface. Simply put, starting from any model of your choice, it places and merges metablobs into a unique and consistent piece of geometry

Can I ask a technical question? Is the resulting geometry a generic dzFacetMesh that can be exported etc, or are we talking about something renderer-specific, like those iray decals?
  • Alessandro MastronardiAlessandro Mastronardi Posts: 2,593
    edited January 2021

Mustakettu85 said:

Materia is capable of generating a procedural convex polyhedron isosurface. Simply put, starting from any model of your choice, it places and merges metablobs into a unique and consistent piece of geometry

Can I ask a technical question? Is the resulting geometry a generic dzFacetMesh that can be exported etc, or are we talking about something renderer-specific, like those iray decals?

It's a generic mesh, so yes you can also export it and use it in any 3D application of your choice.

Post edited by Alessandro Mastronardi on
  • Mustakettu85Mustakettu85 Posts: 2,933

Mustakettu85 said:

It's a generic mesh, so yes you can also export it and use it in any 3D application of your choice.

Awesome! Thank you so much :)
  • TimotheusTimotheus Posts: 236

Any update on this? Still making its way through the pipeline, or has something gone amiss? I kinda hate to even ask, but this is slow, even for Daz....

• Timotheus said:

Any update on this? Still making its way through the pipeline, or has something gone amiss? I kinda hate to even ask, but this is slow, even for Daz....

It's almost there, from what I've been told. Probably not a product that raised particular excitement.

• Lothar WeberLothar Weber Posts: 1,611

Timotheus said:

It's almost there, from what I've been told. Probably not a product that raised particular excitement.

What? It's weeks since we got a really really exciting product!!! I'm very excited!!!

• AnEye4ArtAnEye4Art Posts: 702

Lothar Weber said:

Timotheus said:

What? It's weeks since we got a really really exciting product!!! I'm very excited!!!

Agreed. 

• AnEye4ArtAnEye4Art Posts: 702
    edited January 2021

I am very excited about this product.

Post edited by AnEye4Art on