OT: Anyone use a super ultra-wide monitor?

QuasarQuasar Posts: 568
edited November 2020 in The Commons

Anyone use a super ultra-wide monitor? I haven't really looked at monitors for a while since I have two working ones still. However, a review for the CHG90 QLED Gaming Monitor popped up in my news feed today, and now I really want one. It would be a while to save up for it but before that, it would be cool to hear how others like them. Do/would they work good with DS? I don't game much these days but it would be a nice way to play No Man's Sky every once in a while when I jump on. Would you want one if you don't already have one?

Post edited by Quasar on

Comments

• Seven193Seven193 Posts: 1,061

I think a dual or triple monitor setup would be more productive than that thing.  It's too wide and not adjustable.  For gaming, yes, for work, no..

• StingerStinger Posts: 296

I have an LG https://www.newegg.com/lg-29ub55-b-29-uw-uxga/p/N82E16824025038?Item=N82E16824025038 and I love it.  It fits all the menus I need displayed. It's not SUPER ultra wide but it works great.

• FSMCDesignsFSMCDesigns Posts: 12,518

You can get a Quest 2 for far cheaper. No Mans Sky is fantastic in VR!

• 3Diva3Diva Posts: 11,276
    edited November 2020

I have a 32" monitor for work and next to it is a small 24" monitor that I usually have a video going on so I can watch/listen to something while I work. I can't imagine needing anything bigger than that for my own uses, but then again I'm not gaming these days. If I ever got back into gaming a large curved screen like that would be pretty amazing. I don't game anymore though, and I probably won't get back into it until I retire many years from now, as it just makes me far too unproductive. lol Considering how far in the future that will be though, I'm sure by that time most people will probably be replacing desktop monitors with VR headsets. lol 

Post edited by 3Diva on
  • I just bought a 43 inch TV at Best Buy a week ago or so as it was only 140 bucks. Seeing as the 27 inch monitor they had there was about 240, I opted to get the bang out of my buck since I use it for Roku too. It's amazing, I don't have to squint at anything anymore! Sure, I know the reasons why they say not to use a TV, but before this, I was using a regular 27 inch TV for three years and never had an issue either. 

• set77set77 Posts: 20

I have an ASUS ultra wide that I bought just for gaming a year or so ago and its a great monitor, though I will say I would not buy it again as outside of gaming its almost to wide for everyday use, as soon as I can slip it past the wife I plan on replacing it with a 4k HDR monitor 

• I have an LG 34 inch curved widescreen that I purchased a few years back, and it's amazing! Works great for gaming and handles DAZ rather well. If I were a rich man, I'd get 4 more like it and have a true panoramic gaming experience, lol (Totally unrealistic I know... I'll never be rich).

• MelissaGTMelissaGT Posts: 2,602
    edited November 2020

It's only 1080p...for that price, I would go with 4k. For a long time I used a 34" LG 3440 x 1440 and it was nice...even used it with Daz...but for gaming it could be a pain because not all games are friendly towards ultra-wide. Brand new AAA titles yes, but things like Skyrim, etc need special user-made add-ons to get interfaces working right and whatnot. It was a pain in that respect, and that was just with ultra-wide 21:9...and you're talking super ultra-wide 32:9. You might actually have problems with even new stuff. I moved to a 32" Acer Predator 3840 x 2160 and am very happy with the change. 

Post edited by MelissaGT on
  • QuasarQuasar Posts: 568

You can get a Quest 2 for far cheaper. No Mans Sky is fantastic in VR!

The problem with VR for me is the hand controls. I'm a quadriplegic so I have no ability to grip anything with my hands. If I could use the headset for the 3D effect and use my head to look around a bit while still using my trackball and keyboard to move and control everything, then I could get a VR unit. Based on what I've read, that doesn't seem possible.

set77 said:

I have an ASUS ultra wide that I bought just for gaming a year or so ago and its a great monitor, though I will say I would not buy it again as outside of gaming its almost to wide for everyday use, as soon as I can slip it past the wife I plan on replacing it with a 4k HDR monitor 

One of the things I like about the monitor I linked to is that it lets you split the screen in many different ways. I could have it split in half to be like two monitors side by side without any screen bezel in between.

• hwgs1971hwgs1971 Posts: 128
    edited November 2020

I have a Dell 38" and love it. If I see a deal on the 49" version of this over the next couple of days, I may buy it. I was very surprised the first time I loaded Daz Studio on the 38 incher that nothing was distorted.

https://www.dell.com/en-us/work/shop/dell-ultrasharp-38-curved-monitor-u3818dw/apd/210-amrc

Post edited by hwgs1971 on
  • ChumlyChumly Posts: 793

Ok... tag on question

I have a 32" Samsung 2K display that is my main display.  My secondary is a 24" 1080.

I was thinking of replacing the 24" with a 4K 32" Cuvrved and have that be the "Main" monitor and then use the 2K for the secondary.

Sooooooo
    Here is the question... would there be a problem (eye problem?) of trying to use a Curved Main with a Flat Secondary?

Or would it be better, visually, to go with another Flat?

Curious... as black friday deals are awaiting!

• nonesuch00nonesuch00 Posts: 17,890

I thought about those too but do you realize 49" long is over 4', well over 1 metre long? And so a monitor that size QLED is not a great dense dot pitch you'd get on the monitor pixels. So not for me. Take a tape measure to the desk you want to put that monitor on and see if it's too your liking.

I got one of these:

Amazon.com: Sceptre IPS 27-Inch Business Computer Monitor 1080p 75Hz with HDMI VGA Build-in Speakers, Machine Black 2020 (e275W-FPT): Computers & Accessories

And I'll be buying a second one after Christmas. The dot pitch density is also just so-so but the price & size are ideal to put 2 side by side in a dual monitor setup.

• ZiconZicon Posts: 164

I use a 49" Philips monitor and it's honestly one of the best upgrades I've ever gotten. It takes up less space than two monitors side-by-side, and the screen space is much more flexible. I use FancyZones to split the screen up into usable chunks, and have multiple layouts I switch between depending on what I'm doing. When working with Daz Studio, I usually have one regular screen size with DS in the middle, and a half-screen's worth on each side with tutorials, reference images, DIM, or just whatever entertainment I need while rendering.

• I use a curve ultra wide.

I had originally wanted 2 monitors, however, I learned that having 2 monitors is a resource drain. It's better to have 1 super-wide monitor, and just move the windows around in the space than to have 2 or more monitors. With how resource-intensive 3D is, I was as much power in my system for 3D as possible.

I -love- my ultra wide.

• PerttiAPerttiA Posts: 9,294

I use a curve ultra wide.

I had originally wanted 2 monitors, however, I learned that having 2 monitors is a resource drain. It's better to have 1 super-wide monitor, and just move the windows around in the space than to have 2 or more monitors. With how resource-intensive 3D is, I was as much power in my system for 3D as possible.

I -love- my ultra wide.

Please explain, how multiple monitors drain recources more than the super wide if the overall/combined desktop resolution is the same.

• lilweeplilweep Posts: 2,217
    Andricaus said:

I have an LG 34 inch curved widescreen that I purchased a few years back, and it's amazing! Works great for gaming and handles DAZ rather well. If I were a rich man, I'd get 4 more like it and have a true panoramic gaming experience, lol (Totally unrealistic I know... I'll never be rich).

i had the 38 inch one. It was so good!

Even the in-built speakers and stand were good.

I had to sell it when i moved and i ended up replacing it with a cheaper 34" Samsung one and you get what you pay for!

Quasar said:

Anyone use a super ultra-wide monitor? I haven't really looked at monitors for a while since I have two working ones still. However, a review for the CHG90 QLED Gaming Monitor popped up in my news feed today, and now I really want one. It would be a while to save up for it but before that, it would be cool to hear how others like them. Do/would they work good with DS? I don't game much these days but it would be a nice way to play No Man's Sky every once in a while when I jump on. Would you want one if you don't already have one?

I think with gaming monitors you are paying for low latency and high refresh etc that you dont necessarily need if you arent playing games.

• nonesuch00nonesuch00 Posts: 17,890
    PerttiA said:

I use a curve ultra wide.

I -love- my ultra wide.

Please explain, how multiple monitors drain recources more than the super wide if the overall/combined desktop resolution is the same.

In Windows you can see for yourself that it can create 2 different Windows monitor screens or extend the Windows screen as if it's one monitor so the actual resource drain is minimal, just a few extra Windows resources to manage the hardware of two different monitors and their two different connections. The chance of the small bit of extra resource usage interfering with your workflow are so small as to be effectively none. It's really a matter of do you want two monitors or 1 monitor that is very wide. Personally, I like the option of using 1 of the 2 monitors on other computers.

• I have never had anything wider, aspect ratio, than 21x9 but from what I've read 32x9 has spotty support in games. Some games will put their UI in the far right and left corners just like the screen was 16x9 and some know better. You really do not want to be going back and forth that far in a game all the time. For productivity It's just two 1080p displays at 49" I don't think that would be all that helpful. For $750 you could get 3 decent 1080P monitors and a good triple arm to mount them which would be more screen real estate and be more adjustable.

• ArtAngelArtAngel Posts: 1,484

I don't do gaming but supposedly these are great for that, but I have two 38" LG Curved Monitors and I love them. One per main rig but you can connect them for wall displays. Awesome for Daz, Photoshop and great for large scenes, creating full book covers, and animation work. The clarity of these displays is incredible. Shows every fine detail and unfortunately every missed flaw in graphics work. Typically I have three apps open side by side on one screen. a few years ago I worked with dual monitors so I was a sure candidate for these. This is a pic of them setup on a large dining room table. They are a space hogger but worth it.

Monitors.jpg
    5312 x 2988 - 5M
  • A little bit off topic, but possibly helpful... Pay attention to your ergonomics when you make a major change to your workspace.

I switched from a single 27 inch WS monitor to a dual monitor set up. A QHD 32 WS and the previous 27.

After about two months or so my neck started to bother me and was getting progressively worse. Work had just changed by desk set up and it was easy to blame that.

One of the causes turned out to be the frequent turning of my head to see the extents of the screen;resolved by turning the smaller screen vertical.

The other cause was the tendancy to slowly lean forward as I worked, due to the smaller font size on the QHD screen; resolved with a pair of readers, adjusting font size where I could, and being a bit more dilligent about my posture.

General advice... If the default stand(s) don't vertically adjust, look into an arm mount that will. Sit comfortably in your seat and try to make sure that the screen real estate fits easily into your FOV.

A little bit off topic, but possibly helpful... Pay attention to your ergonomics when you make a major change to your workspace.

I switched from a single 27 inch WS monitor to a dual monitor set up. A QHD 32 WS and the previous 27.

After about two months or so my neck started to bother me and was getting progressively worse. Work had just changed by desk set up and it was easy to blame that.

One of the causes turned out to be the frequent turning of my head to see the extents of the screen;resolved by turning the smaller screen vertical.

The other cause was the tendancy to slowly lean forward as I worked, due to the smaller font size on the QHD screen; resolved with a pair of readers, adjusting font size where I could, and being a bit more dilligent about my posture.

General advice... If the default stand(s) don't vertically adjust, look into an arm mount that will. Sit comfortably in your seat and try to make sure that the screen real estate fits easily into your FOV.

Great points. The screen fonts are adjustable per window for different browsers. The left is at 175%. The right is the normal size at 100%

screen fonts.JPG
    3827 x 1555 - 791K
  • Jason GalterioJason Galterio Posts: 2,562
    edited November 2020
    ArtAngel said:

A little bit off topic, but possibly helpful... Pay attention to your ergonomics when you make a major change to your workspace.

Great points. The screen fonts are adjustable per window for different browsers. The left is at 175%. The right is the normal size at 100%

Thanks. :)

My main stumbling point was refusing to believe where the cause was. After investing in the new monitor, it felt like a bitter pill to swallow. Remembering how long it takes for symptoms to appear was the first hurdle. Then needing to think about it logically was the second hurdle.

Changing the font size made a big difference. As did training myself to reach for the readers when I felt myself leaning forward.

The DS library font is still small, but I restrict those menus to the vertical, non-QHD monitor, which has made reading them easier.

Post edited by Jason Galterio on
  • PerttiA said:

It's really a matter of do you want two monitors or 1 monitor that is very wide. Personally, I like the option of using 1 of the 2 monitors on other computers.

some of the ultrawides actually let you use 2 different sources if you want. I just bought an LG 34" ultrawide. Didn't play around with it yet, but it can use 2 sources and  do a split screen if you want.

• PerttiAPerttiA Posts: 9,294

I have never had anything wider, aspect ratio, than 21x9 but from what I've read 32x9 has spotty support in games. Some games will put their UI in the far right and left corners just like the screen was 16x9 and some know better. You really do not want to be going back and forth that far in a game all the time. For productivity It's just two 1080p displays at 49" I don't think that would be all that helpful. For $750 you could get 3 decent 1080P monitors and a good triple arm to mount them which would be more screen real estate and be more adjustable.

IMHO 1080P was a huge step backwards from the CRT:s with 1600x1200 resolution, 1200 or 1440 vertical resolution is the range to look for. You can really see the difference, but the change is still not too big to make the text and icons too small.

I have 3 HP LA2405:s both at work and at home (24"/1920x1200) with the desktop extended to cover all of them and having three separate ones is especially helpful (in W10) when running multiple applications at the same time, as you can still run them "full screen" in their designated monitors, reducing the need to adjust the position of the windows all the time (office 365)

In DS the tree monitors allows dedicating one to the viewport, another for product library and leaves a lot of room on the third for the rest.

WorkW10.JPG
    1439 x 482 - 78K
    DS 3 monitors.jpg
    1843 x 384 - 44K
  • Noah LGPNoah LGP Posts: 2,556

How to get Viewport in a separate window ?

• RobinsonRobinson Posts: 751

I have a Lenovo Legion (44").  Resolution is a bit odd but I don't care about that (3840x1200).  Once you've tried one you'll never want to go back to multi-monitor.  It's easy to park windows either side.

• stephenschoonstephenschoon Posts: 351
    edited November 2020

I have a curved Dell Ultrasharp 38" 3840x1600, superb, whatever I'm working in the middle and other stuff on the edges. Never going back to a multi monitor setup.
    Steve.

Post edited by stephenschoon on
  • Quasar said:

Do not buy the CHG90.  We have several at work that are about 1 1/2 yeas old.  A couple of them are going bad.  Besides, it is only 1080p.  Get something 1440p or better.

I just picked up an LG 35" (1440p) from Costco for $100 off.  It is a great deal, and is fast enough for gaming.

• jbowlerjbowler Posts: 740
    edited November 2020
    Noah LGP said:

How to get Viewport in a separate window ?

Right click on the "viewport" tab, i.e. the little pseudo-filing-system-tab thingy at the top/left/right, and select "undock pane".  Works for any tab'ed "pane".

Oh, and I just discovered that a further right click allows for "make pane undockable" which apparently turns it into a separate top level window, but that seems to be a waste of space because all you get is a useless Windows title bar.  Don't know what happens on a Mac; in Qt terms I think the first is a modeless dialog and the second is just another window.

Post edited by jbowler on

I also have a 60" 3D Sharp Aqous Quattron but it's on the wall above the shelves. Use it for animations-video  related work and playbacks. Twelve feet away. I inherited after hubby bought a larger Sony 3D. The thing is Jason Galterio nailed it. Whether you use singles x 2 or singles x 3 or the wides, the bigger the span  the harder the suckers are hard on the neck especially if you are scrutinizing graphics 18" from your face.