Post edited by daveso on

Comments

• davesodaveso Posts: 6,421
    edited October 2021

DELETE

Post edited by daveso on
  • MasterstrokeMasterstroke Posts: 1,790
    edited November 2020

As far as I rememberrrrr, it is a seperate mat zone. Just set opacity to zero.

Post edited by Masterstroke on
  • srieschsriesch Posts: 4,241

Is the transparency missing perhaps?  Maybe it doesn't convert and you'll have to manually read the stettings.

• English BobEnglish Bob Posts: 113
    edited November 2020

(From memory) There's an eyebrow hide morph dial in her head, if you want to use textures with painted-on eyebrows. The separate eyebrows are for sets which include an eyebrow transmap and there aren't many of those about.

[Edit] Or as @Masterstroke says, you can just set the upper eyebrows to 100% transparent, no specular.

Post edited by English Bob on
    edited October 2021

DELETE

Post edited by daveso on
    edited October 2021

DELETE

Post edited by daveso on
    edited October 2021

DELETE

Post edited by daveso on
  • she looks good yeah I was looking at v2 and 3 too, v2 has some nice poses with the figure but no expressions and you can't open the mouth unless there was a morph you hadto buy youget three versions well 2 really as one with skin is standard and  light edition the other is the silver no skin which is taller for some reason.oh no clothing. V3 at least has expressions and sort of clothing. Trying to think how could use her maybe as a synth droid, humanoid but not too real looking or a Auton

• mmalbertmmalbert Posts: 412

Those older skin textures didn't always have bump maps, rarely had specular maps, and no SSS maps at all. They often had baked-in highlights. Makes them a challenge to use for sure.

You can try desaturating diffuse texture maps and save those as SSS/Translucency maps. I've seen folks just add the diffuse textures to the SSS/Translucency channels too.

Specular maps for Iray and 3DL shaders like Ubersurface work better if they're dark with lighter grayish areas for highlights (lips, cheeks, etc.) Older specular maps were often much lighter, so you get really bright, shiny people. Sometimes you can fudge a spec map by darkening a bump map in an image editor -- add a new layer, flood fill the new layer black, and then lower the opacity until the result looks workable. Doesn't always work out; depends on the bump map.

If the baked-in highlights are really bad, I try to fix the base textures in my image editor. It's a lot of work to go through for old figures though, and most folks aren't going to bother with all that.

And you may already know this, but the older figures need to have subdivision added to them so they don't have jaggy edges.

daveso said:

much better ... not smooth overall, but I like her. Had to work her post render. she doesn;t take to DS lighting all that well..lots of shine and bright. I could mess with render settings

I've spent some time cobbling together spec and sss maps for a few old V3 textures. Not a perfect solution but it helps make the them look a little better in DS4. An example with a V3 texture called Katie Sue, that was sold at RuntimeDNA.

The first is 3DL using Ubersurface settings and the second is Iray, which I just converted using Iray Uber base -- I'm not very good with Iray and the eyes need a lot of work, but otherwise she looks okay enough.

Lauren_V3_3DL.png
    1000 x 1000 - 1M
    Lauren_V3_Iray.png
    1000 x 1000 - 2M
    edited October 2021

DELETE

Post edited by daveso on
  • mmalbertmmalbert Posts: 412

I'm still learning Iray -- only recently bought a computer that could handle it -- so someone else could probably make her look much better in Iray than I did. :)

The Generation 4 figures need to have subdivision added too, but it's done through the power loader panel where there's check box under the "Advanced" tab. Once the box is selected, the Gen4 figures should always load in sub-d. I frequently forget about it for those rare times I load up V3/M3 or A3/H3.

• she looks good yeah I was looking at v2 and 3 too, v2 has some nice poses with the figure but no expressions and you can't open the mouth unless there was a morph you hadto buy youget three versions well 2 really as one with skin is standard and  light edition the other is the silver no skin which is taller for some reason.oh no clothing. V3 at least has expressions and sort of clothing. Trying to think how could use her maybe as a synth droid, humanoid but not too real looking or a Auton

V1 with Mimic lite certainly opens her mouth

I am pretty sure my V2 does too

• With just the standard resolution V3 maps being used in the DAZ Uber shader, you can get pretty decent iRay rendering on V3 based figures. GV3 on the left doesn't look too out of place in the image below:

She's in a picture with 2 off G8F figures. I saved the bump map as a monochrome .jpg and used it for specular, sss and displacement and tweaked various other settings until it looked right, about 45 mins of trial and error, then saved the character as a scene subset for future use. That was April last year, so can't remember exactly what I did.. But since then I have found the time invested to be very useful.

Regards,

Richard.

• KeryaKerya Posts: 10,943

she looks good yeah I was looking at v2 and 3 too, v2 has some nice poses with the figure but no expressions and you can't open the mouth unless there was a morph you hadto buy youget three versions well 2 really as one with skin is standard and  light edition the other is the silver no skin which is taller for some reason.oh no clothing. V3 at least has expressions and sort of clothing. Trying to think how could use her maybe as a synth droid, humanoid but not too real looking or a Auton

V2 has expressions and can open the mouth ... you have to buy nothing, just select the head and there they are.

v2mouthopen.png
    1200 x 828 - 291K
  • DollyGirlDollyGirl Posts: 2,646
    edited November 2020

Mapps has a set of expressions for V2 here: http://www.freewebs.com/mapps/downloadsvicky.htm Below is V2 with one of the expressions in use.

At-the-temple.png
    800 x 640 - 1M
    Post edited by DollyGirl on

Tofusan has a shader for 3Delight Ubersurface that is nice see here:

Skin Shader Preset (for DAZ Default Shader) - Poser and Daz Studio Free Resources Wiki (miraheze.org)

For Iray, I have used this shader from vrxitachi as a starter. The eyeball does recieve the incorrect shader I just apply thin water DAZ Studio default shader to the eye ball and set the upper eye brow cutout parameter to zero

https://sharecg.com/v/87083/

These are shader presets and therefore you must have the object selected in the scene and the surface tab for them to work. All of the links I have provided to you in this response and the previous one are for free. Enjoy your journey.

If you want more free things like clothing, poses, morphs and textures for Victoria 3 I suggest visiting here: Victoria 3 - Poser and Daz Studio Free Resources Wiki (miraheze.org)

For Victoria 1 or 2 go here: Victoria 1-2 - Poser and Daz Studio Free Resources Wiki (miraheze.org)

• she was actually very expressive when I loaded her into mimic standalone 

that is what I love about legacy figures, they generally all are, mimic live was a step backwards IMO and DAZ lip sync a very watered down version of Mimic (which is no longer available)

she looks good yeah I was looking at v2 and 3 too, v2 has some nice poses with the figure but no expressions and you can't open the mouth unless there was a morph you hadto buy youget three versions well 2 really as one with skin is standard and  light edition the other is the silver no skin which is taller for some reason.oh no clothing. V3 at least has expressions and sort of clothing. Trying to think how could use her maybe as a synth droid, humanoid but not too real looking or a Auton

From my review of the Victoria 2.0 product 83 it comes with three actors. The Poser 4 Female shaped LE, the Poser 4 Female shaped high res version and  the standard Victoria 2 high res version. In my reply about expressions above the image is of the P4F high res version. You can think of this version and the P4F LE as a clone version. Lets V2 wear all of P4F's clothing. 

Also included are a set of poses for hands and full body. There are no textures included with the 83 set. There are textures included in item numbers 95, 96, 97 and 98, which you could buy seperatly. They are light and medium, low and high res textures sets. AprilYSH has a remapped version of Victoria 2 that allows her to use P4F textures. I am thinking about making a morph from the P4F Victorias to make Victoria 2 completely P4F just for fun. Then Victoria can have textures of P4F and her clothes.

The Victoria 3 product. 1098, comes with an actor shape of V3 allowing her to wear V2 clothing. The V3 version is based using the SAE version of V3, which is the latest version of V3.

edited October 2021

DELETE

Post edited by daveso on
  • daveso said:

With just the standard resolution V3 maps being used in the DAZ Uber shader, you can get pretty decent iRay rendering on V3 based figures. GV3 on the left doesn't look too out of place in the image below:

She's in a picture with 2 off G8F figures. I saved the bump map as a monochrome .jpg and used it for specular, sss and displacement and tweaked various other settings until it looked right, about 45 mins of trial and error, then saved the character as a scene subset for future use. That was April last year, so can't remember exactly what I did.. But since then I have found the time invested to be very useful.

Regards,

Richard.

great render. Yeah, most of the old stuff overall holds up just fine. I often wonder why I need to buy new figures ...  I used to really get some great morphing wiht V4. It was more adjustable in the face than the G8 figures, imo. Unless you buy more morphs, 

they are also considerably less resource heavy while still having the polygons.

IMO it is pure snobbery encouraged by DAZ to sell the latest figures and content and people fall for it hook, line and sinker citing stuff like oh but the realistic bends, when clothed and postworked anyway what the hell does that matter unless they are just clicking and loading dolls.

• WendyLuvsCatzWendyLuvsCatz Posts: 37,794
    edited November 2020

these are all M3 and V3, I would be out of RAM with two Genesis + in that scene

I am now redoing it with even 6 more M3 characters so less instanced duplicates, still under 20GB RAM and just fits on my 980ti surprisingly with more headroom using iray than Filament but iray painfully slow.

Post edited by WendyLuvsCatz on
    edited October 2021

DELETE

Post edited by daveso on