Separate V4 Shoes? (Solved)

nDelphinDelphi Posts: 1,846
edited June 2014 in Hexagon Discussion

Can anyone explain or point me to a discussion (I haven't found one) on separating V4 shoes that load together?

I have an issue that I want to fix with a pair of armor shoes from the SupremeArmor set that have a protruding spike when the figure is posed and the shoes start to separate.

Post edited by nDelphi on

Comments

• patience55patience55 Posts: 7,006
    edited December 1969

nDelphi said:
    Can anyone explain or point me to a discussion (I haven't found one) on separating V4 shoes that load together?

I have an issue that I want to fix with a pair of armor shoes from the SupremeArmor set that have a protruding spike when the figure is posed and the shoes start to separate.

You'd have to import the geometry into a modeler, remove one side, export out the remaining one. Repeat for other side. Then in D/S create the model "one shoe at a time". This way one would have shoes that load separately.

Problem might also be fixable adjusting the bone with the joint editor ... if just for one still, if you don't save it, etc ... whatever "damage done" to the bone will not be kept ;-)

• nDelphinDelphi Posts: 1,846
    edited December 1969

You'd have to import the geometry into a modeler, remove one side, export out the remaining one. Repeat for other side. Then in D/S create the model "one shoe at a time". This way one would have shoes that load separately.

Problem might also be fixable adjusting the bone with the joint editor ... if just for one still, if you don't save it, etc ... whatever "damage done" to the bone will not be kept ;-)

I tried the bone idea once, it was suggested by Richard H. It didn't work. That's why I am looking to maybe separate them.

• WendyLuvsCatzWendyLuvsCatz Posts: 37,814
    edited December 1969

you could lasso one with the polygon group editor or what ever it is now called hide selected and delete hidden polygons save under new name then reload redo with other one.
    or with weightbrush selected in tools setting tab select that spike's polys again with PGE and fill with the bone weight for that foot or try painting it making sure in in all weight maps by copy paste

• pwiecekpwiecek Posts: 1,538
    edited December 1969

Two solutions:

It looks to me like you're having a problem with falloff zones. In poser, this involves using the joint editor, so it may be the same solution as that you mentioned fro Richard.

The quick and dirty fix:
    Load the shoes.
    Hide all the stuff on the left leg.
    Position the visible right shoe on the right leg of Michael.
    Parent it to the thigh or shin.
    Hide Michael's right foot & toe.

Load another shoe set.
    Repeat on the other side.

Use the shoes to pose the feet & toes rather then michael.

edited June 2014

It was easy removing one of the shoes in Hexagon, but I couldn't send the other back to DAZ Studio with morphs/bones intact. That's going to be the hardest for me as I am not a modeler.

I just remembered, I have a Hexagon tutorial I purchased recently, I had forgotten, this will be a good exercise, if it talks about creating bones and morphs. I will go thru that video and see.

Update: Solved. I used the shoes from the M4 version. Those don't have this issue and I am able to use them on Genesis Female/Male as this project is using SickleYield's Rigging System to convert the shoes for use on Genesis. And yes, the V4 Shoes (unmodified for Genesis) do have that spike issue in DAZ Studio when used with V4.

Post edited by nDelphi on
    edited December 1969

nDelphi said:
    It was easy removing one of the shoes in Hexagon, but I couldn't send the other back to DAZ Studio with morphs/bones intact. That's going to be the hardest for me as I am not a modeler.

I just remembered, I have a Hexagon tutorial I purchased recently, I had forgotten, this will be a good exercise, if it talks about creating bones and morphs. I will go thru that video and see.

Update: Solved. I used the shoes from the M4 version. Those don't have this issue and I am able to use them on Genesis Female/Male as this project is using SickleYield's Rigging System to convert the shoes for use on Genesis. And yes, the V4 Shoes (unmodified for Genesis) do have that spike issue in DAZ Studio when used with V4.

hmm ... "importing" the geometry into Hexagon does not involve the Bridge coming or going.
    Sadly yes you'd lose the morphs and bones however if using on a triax figure the Transfer Utility can put some bones back.
    For V4, the FS tools can be used but that's a little more involved.

Hexagon does not create bones ... I don't have that tutorial but hopefully it covers what you want. One creates the bones in D/S.

I'm glad you found a working solution for immediate use ... maybe somebody else can double check the model and send a note to QC. [just my 3 cents worth - we shouldn't have to do anything drastic to make the products usable].

edited December 1969

I'm glad you found a working solution for immediate use ... maybe somebody else can double check the model and send a note to QC. [just my 3 cents worth - we shouldn't have to do anything drastic to make the products usable].

This is an armor sold at Renderosity compatible with Poser 5 and above. Those who wish to use this with DAZ Studio should be prepared to also apply SubD to many of its pieces and work the materials a lot, and not forget to also apply the displacement mats.

Not an efficient model for DAZ Studio, but I like how it looks, so I muddle thru.

edited December 1969

nDelphi said:

This is an armor sold at Renderosity compatible with Poser 5 and above. Those who wish to use this with DAZ Studio should be prepared to also apply SubD to many of its pieces and work the materials a lot, and not forget to also apply the displacement mats.

Not an efficient model for DAZ Studio, but I like how it looks, so I muddle thru.

Oops ... wonder how I missed that! [okay ... so let's not tell QC ;-) ] ... yes items bought elsewhere often need 'tweaking' as do any products generally intended for "one" program. as you've noted for example, with the mats.

• RoygeeRoygee Posts: 2,247
    edited December 1969

glad you got it sorted - I was going to suggest a very lazy method - edit out the spike in post:)

• WilmapWilmap Posts: 2,917
    edited December 1969

Was this item a .dsf file? If so I have had some of my old freebies do this when used in DS 4.6. All you need to do is change the smoothing modifier in the Parameters tab from Catmark to Catmull-Clarke (Legacy) and the spike should go away.

edited December 1969

wilmap said:
    Was this item a .dsf file? If so I have had some of my old freebies do this when used in DS 4.6. All you need to do is change the smoothing modifier in the Parameters tab from Catmark to Catmull-Clarke (Legacy) and the spike should go away.

This shoe was converted using the Transfer Utility and Sickle Yield's Rigging & Morph System. The only Smoothing Types I see are Base Shape Matching and Generic. If I use Generic with a Collision of 154 the spike goes away, but I still see a slightly larger point from the side of the shoe, no big deal if I had to use the shoe, so your suggestion would have worked quite nicely.

But since the M4 converted shoes are slightly larger they fit better on Genesis Female (for example, no poke thru to begin with) and don't have this issue, so I am good now.

I appreciate the tip, this can certainly work in other pieces that might have this issue in the future where I wouldn't have any other easy option.

• WilmapWilmap Posts: 2,917
    edited December 1969

Sorry I should have said in the Mesh Resolution not smothing modifier.

edited December 1969

wilmap said:
    Sorry I should have said in the Mesh Resolution not smothing modifier.

OK, I tried that, no go. The spike remains, also, it seems that my messing with the Smoothing Modifier as I explained in my previous post only works up to a point, as the shoes start to separate farther the spike (which looks more like a dagger now after messing with the smoothing modifier) starts to creep back out.

Supreme_Shoes_V4_dagger.jpg
    900 x 900 - 55K
    edited December 1969

For anyone who tried to help me, here is what the final armor looks like in DAZ Studio.

http://www.daz3d.com/forums/viewreply/624765/

It is 100 times better than the WIP image here.