Ten Years After - The Making of Dartanbeck.com

Comments

• DartanbeckDartanbeck Posts: 21,106

It seems to work really well if we don't mind it being straight.

So one Idea I had, if I couldn't get the curly hair working right is to make thick, layered long hair - kind like this... kinda

edited November 2020

Of course, there's always this idea as well.

I haven't tried dForce yet, nor have I figured out exactly how to VWD hair. But ever since this hit the store, I've been wanting to try it.

I'd like to try it in dForce as well as VWD. I just have difficulties being able to get my hands on it

Linday's Classic Long Curly Hair

Post edited by Dartanbeck on

I love the Branwen hair shown above in my Iray render, but it begins to really stray from that Rosie look

• DesertDudeDesertDude Posts: 1,234

I agree about the hair.  The same goes for the boobs.  But I am assuming that he is just testing out the range of movement, and will dial them back eventually.

There are a lot of wooden animations out there.  Better to have plenty of movement options, than not enough.  I imagine that finding a balance is an ongoing challenge. :)

Yeah, and it drives me nuts! I never really wanted to add any movement there at all, but I've been told by many that I absolutely have to. I'll end up getting better with being much more subtle. I think that too much movement, that I see all the time in animated boobs, just draws too much attention to them. I'm trying! LOL

Wait...there were boobs? blush

LOL!!!

edited November 2020

...and here it is!

Argh... I have to find a way to find more time. I love doing this!!! :)

I'll get better with practice... I Promise!

• MistaraMistara Posts: 38,675
    Mystiarra said:

truly lifts renders to an artform angel

My thing does?  Thanks!

In this one I purposely oversaturated the colors and when beyond bright with the bloom, even though the controls wanted to let me wash it out even further! LOL

i think the top page image changed?

i can't remember what the other one was, i remember i liked it alot

Carrara hair has always been twitchy

does frane rate naje a difference?

• Mystiarra said:

Carrara hair has always been twitchy

does frane rate naje a difference?

what I do, simulate at 6FPS, render at 60FPS per second but composite at 30 FPS

• DiomedeDiomede Posts: 15,026

...and here it is!

Argh... I have to find a way to find more time. I love doing this!!! :)

I'll get better with practice... I Promise!

Terrific.  yes

Thank you, Diomede! I appreciate that :)

Did a little test using VWD on Hair in Daz Studio in my other thread

I reworked my Dynamic Hair page/article to give it a bit more clarity, adding to sentences to make them more complete, and added some new paragraphs and videos.

I hope anyone interested finds it to be useful.

• DesertDudeDesertDude Posts: 1,234

Yes and thank you. I always find your work, workflow(s) and explanations to be helpful.

Thanks for the link to John Stark's Carrara Dynamic Hair Course. I think I've seen a few vids before but I am like a...bumble bee? Sometimes I just zoom in for the pieces I need and leave, missing the wider picture. This will be good to look at again from the start. smiley

Okay cool... Thanks!

Yeah, that series is wonderful and it truly is helpful to kick back and absorb the entire series.

About the video - Rosie 5 is an Artemis Knight (ArtemisX and Liquid Knight), piloting her ship using Ravnheart's Marcoor Control Room, with TheAntFarm's Biobotic, frantically trying to navigate them out of this mess. Petipet's massive Dominators rain down from above to devastate and destroy Inception8's Project Xion City!

See more on my Artemis Knight page

I've also been adding to the Gallery's Inspiration section. Check it out!

New sections include

and some of the other sections have been added to and edited.

Artemis  goddess of the hunt smiley

edited December 2020

• mindsongmindsong Posts: 1,693

yes

--ms

mindsong said:

yes

--ms

Thanks, my friend!

• DiomedeDiomede Posts: 15,026

Loving these new additions.  With Rosie 5, you have a very recognizable unique brand.  Keep up the great work.

she looks like she could take down Tifa in a fight. smiley  tho they both too nice to fight 

• mindsongmindsong Posts: 1,693

Hey Dart,

One of the things that made luxrender appeal to me a while back was that it had available host-app interfaces available for DS, Poser, Carrara, etc. but was free under the hood, making it seem as though consistent render-styles could be generated in each of my various environments, assuming one paid proper attention to lights and materials...

Over in DAZ-land, you seem to be making good progress in the ORK/Octane toolsuite (that gif render of rose stepping backwards is great - in quality and animation 'feel' - bravo).

Can I ask why you aren't pursuing Octane in Carrara, given its solid foundations and history of results (philw/wendy/etc.)? It would seem like your fluency in Carrara paired with Octane would be a natural fit, etc.

For me, price (both decent equipment and the base+subscription licensing) are currently enough to give me pause until I can generate some income with my projects. the 'free' part of the DAZ equation is a real draw for me at this point, at least until I can better see what it can do. I also wonder if the well-presented DS material settings (thanks Valzheimer!) can be somehow captured and replicated in the Carrara, Poser, and/or Blender environments.

Curious, not critical,

--ms

• I hazard to say price is the main reasoncheeky

I own Octane 4 and the Carrara plugin but after all the money I have spent in the past on updates including to DAZ studio Or2 and 3,

I doubt in spite of liking it I will spend any more.

rather I would buy hardware and use other render options, I am now using Carrara native more again and one day a Threadripper or whatever the next powerful processor to come along could mean I stay with Carrara and never look back

if

and here is the issue thanks to DAZ, if it continues to work with new hardware and Windows updatessurprise

edited January 2021

Yep. It's the cost. I simply don't have that kind of dough and the site is currently generating nothing. Probably not enough Carrara users left in this world.

Hey, thanks for the wonderful comments everyone! Just a quick catch-up:

Yes, I'm still here. Just keeping my nose to the grindstone. One of my readers of my Art Studio thread mentioned the new (then) Filament in Daz Studio Beta. Shortly after downloading the beta and trying Filament for myself, the Daz Studio 4.14 General Release came out. Although I can't use Filament (I use a Lot of transparency maps, which just don't work in Filament) I took a real liking to Iray. Then ORK (Octane Render Kit) came out, which really through me for a ride.

Before going on I'd just like to say that I am never leaving Carrara. It's just my Fave! 

After getting my hands on Linday's Classic Long, Curly Hair - dForce for Genesis 8 Females, I built a Rosie 8 that I have grown quite fond of. I have a version in Carrara as well as Daz Studio.

Since Genesis 8 works so very well in Daz Studio, and I feel it's about time I got better acquainted with the rendering side of D|S, I'm currently learning my way to animating in Studio with the assistance of Carrara.

Just an important FYI:

Fenric was almost right when he said that the BVH/PZ2 exporter doesn't work with Genesis. The correct part is that it doesn't work for PZ2 export. BVH, however, works Very Well - and Daz Studio imports BVH files like nothing I've ever used - Perfectly!

So lately I've been experimenting with Mimic Pro for Carrara with my Rosie Wr8th (using Misty's amazing preset), which works beautifully - and on just a simple first try!

mindsong and Wendy have been a Huge help in this regard behind the scenes. Thanks both of you for your incredible knowledge and undying support. I couldn't be as far as I am without you!

So I bought Mimic Pro for Carrara back when I bought Carrara - knowing that I would, one day get to the point where I needed my characters to vocalize - communicate with an audience.

I'm a little embarrassed that it took me ten years to get there, but why let something like that stop me now - so I'm not. Rosie's talking, Dartanbeck's got some dialog under way, and this thing is getting real.

R8Adv_StalkFwd01a_00264s.png
    480 x 720 - 1015K

Damn, she's cute! :)

Diomede, that's Rosie 8! She's standing in one of Horo's awesome HDRI ;)

• WendyLuvsCatzWendyLuvsCatz Posts: 37,712

not visiting a site means nothing 

I don't visit very many sites not even DeviantArt unless someone directly links something to it, yet that is where I host much of my stuff (mostly in stash)

Renderosity I only look at the store and DAZ gallery when it worked I never looked. devil

probably been a year or more since I visited the other Carrara sites blush

WendyLuvsCatz said:

Perhaps. I'll likely keep the Carrara torch lit, even if only for my own personal interest, but for it to succeed I'll have to start directing it into other directions, I guess.

Still, I think it's neat to have some Carrara fandom out there on the web in this day and age.

Dartanbeck said:

WendyLuvsCatz said:

Perhaps. I'll likely keep the Carrara torch lit, even if only for my own personal interest, but for it to succeed I'll have to start directing it into other directions, I guess.

Still, I think it's neat to have some Carrara fandom out there on the web in this day and age.

i rewatched some dimensiont youtube from 10 years ago.  we (howd they make that lighting, that physics) and fall in awe with carrar all over again.  torch is still burning bright.