A New Computer! Uhh ...

Got the new machine up and running,  Should be a good animation renderer, fast CPU and good video card.  Then ... getting all the sofware loaded ... Carrara, Poser, VUE,  Photoshop, Digital Juice and all its content, Particle Illusion, Vegas Video Editor, P3DO, Band In A Box & Real Band, Sound Forge, Some cool image stuff I won and don't recall the name of ... other stuff I don't remember the name of ...  I'm starting to slip into phase 2 of the project phases:

Enthusiasm
Disillusionment
Panic
Search for the guilty
Punishment of the innocent
Praise and honors for the non-participants

The "Panic" phase will be about the companies that have disappeared ... like Blue Ribbon Soundworks (actually gone many machines ago, but still ...)

Comments

• DiomedeDiomede Posts: 15,024

Just hoping that the "Punishing the Innocent" phase does not include me.  

Congratulations on the new machine.  

• 3drendero3drendero Posts: 2,017
    Here is a cool trick that worked back with Windows 95 and still works. Move the old disk over to the new computer (or a backup of it). Windows installs the new drivers itself and you are good to go after a few reboots.
  • Steve KSteve K Posts: 3,179
    3drendero said:
    Here is a cool trick that worked back with Windows 95 and still works. Move the old disk over to the new computer (or a backup of it). Windows installs the new drivers itself and you are good to go after a few reboots.
    3drendero said:
    Good tip.  Actually I generally just move the old machine over to another wall ... got three running now ... 
    Diomede said:

Just hoping that the "Punishing the Innocent" phase does not include me.  

Congratulations on the new machine.  

Thanks.  Nope, no Carrara users get punished.  

• WendyLuvsCatzWendyLuvsCatz Posts: 37,711

you going to share your specs ? kiss

or is it more like my new last year computer, considerably crappier than my previous one but Windows 10

or is it more like my new last year computer, considerably crappier than my previous one but Windows 10

Sure.  AMD Ryzen 3900XT 12 Core 24 Threads, 2x2TB SSD Drives, 32GB RAM, nVidia RTX 2600, Win10 Pro.

Haven't really tested it yet, still getting software migrated, but one Carrara quickie looks pretty fast, so not crappier than the previous one (Core i7).  By a lot, I think.  

Steve K said:

Sure.  AMD Ryzen 3900XT 12 Core 24 Threads, 2x2TB SSD Drives, 32GB RAM, nVidia RTX 2600, Win10 Pro.

Haven't really tested it yet, still getting software migrated, but one Carrara quickie looks pretty fast, so not crappier than the previous one (Core i7).  By a lot, I think.  

yes

pretty awesome specs

Sweet rig. A new free utility for easy overclock without big power increase, Clocktuner for Ryzen. https://www.guru3d.com/articles-pages/clocktuner-for-ryzen-ctr-guide-download,1.html

yes it sounds very nice yes 24 pretty coloured render tiles heart

Thanks.  I'm hoping it will be like putting instant coffee in the microwave, time backs up.  cheeky

• DartanbeckDartanbeck Posts: 21,103

You are So going to Love rendering (Carrara PR engine) with your new Ryzen!!!

Congrats!!!

FWIW: When I built mine I went ahead and maxed out the RAM supported by the motherboard (64GB) and find it to be vast overkill. I never use even half of that! Of course, I'm talking Carrara. Not sure what Vegas Pro would do with it, but that likely accesses the GPU to its fullest ability - and you've got that covered!

When I'm rendering a normal scene (aka - no dynamic hair or other costly things) with my Ryzen 2700, sometimes I can't even see the little buckets! One scene was rendering at .01 per frame. Does that mean 0ne second or is it less, I don't know - but it was Screaming fast!!!

But this is 3D CG. We can always bring the finest of machines to their proverbial knees! LOL

One scene was rendering at .01 per frame. Does that mean 0ne second or is it less, I don't know - but it was Screaming fast!!!

Thanks, I'm hoping for something like that.  Reminds me of Particle Illusion's 2D overlay effects which sometimes render faster than real time.

Even Rosie at mid range (just above knees to top of the head) with her quasi-SSS, dynamic hair, simulated clothes, etc., etc., she's coming in at under 5 minutes/frame. It feels really slow when I render her that close because everyhting else is so fast, so I put those renders in the Batch Queue and wait until I'm ready for a break.

I got an amazing deal on a GTX 1660 6GB when I built mine, bringing it down to a meager $grand, and it renders DaVinci jobs in a heartbeat! I know your RTX will Rock Vegas Pro!

you can even try that other DAZ software with it's Dforce and iray enlightened

you can even try that other DAZ software with it's Dforce and iray enlightened

After wrestling with the long list of applications (see list in the original post), yet another program is not too appealing.  wink

I finally got a chance to do some test renders using VUE, which for me has been pretty slow to render, so I usually just do stills for backgrounds of Carrara animations.

A fairly standard VUE scene with a highly detailed landscape (attached), rendered in "Final" mode, 1280x720.

VUE Complete 2016, Core i7:  149 seconds

VUE Complete 2016  AMD Ryzen:  76 seconds

VUE Current Version AMD Ryzen:  39seconds

The VUE tech guy told me the 2016 version does not support the 12 core/24 thread Ryzen, but the curent version (subscription only) does.  So I downloaded the VUE trial for the test.  While rendering, it shows 18 billion polys (!) and hits 100% CPU (the 2016 version doesn't even get to 25% I think).

So basically 4x as fast, or render time 25%.  Now I have to decide if its worth $200/year. I have a pretty good collection of VUE scenes for the defunct Cornucopia3D store, so its pretty tempting.

cracked valley_08.jpg
    1280 x 720 - 228K
  • SileneUKSileneUK Posts: 1,969
    edited November 2020
    Steve K said:

I finally got a chance to do some test renders using VUE, which for me has been pretty slow to render, so I usually just do stills for backgrounds of Carrara animations.

A fairly standard VUE scene with a highly detailed landscape (attached), rendered in "Final" mode, 1280x720.

VUE Complete 2016, Core i7:  149 seconds

VUE Complete 2016  AMD Ryzen:  76 seconds

VUE Current Version AMD Ryzen:  39seconds

The VUE tech guy told me the 2016 version does not support the 12 core/24 thread Ryzen, but the curent version (subscription only) does.  So I downloaded the VUE trial for the test.  While rendering, it shows 18 billion polys (!) and hits 100% CPU (the 2016 version doesn't even get to 25% I think).

So basically 4x as fast, or render time 25%.  Now I have to decide if its worth $200/year. I have a pretty good collection of VUE scenes for the defunct Cornucopia3D store, so its pretty tempting.

If you exported that as obj or fbx, I'd pay you for it!!!  I tried Esprit but did not get on with it, then there was another promo last autumn, but I did not have a chance to work with it as the plants were not included. Later I think they offered plants library, but Covid got in the way of learning anything new.  And of course the trials do not let you export.... which is why I am offering.  MartinJFrost has luckily been converting his botanicals for DS from Vue, so I am hoping???

Looks really great!  yes  SIlene

Post edited by SileneUK on

SileneUK said:

If you exported that as obj or fbx, I'd pay you for it!!!  I tried Esprit but did not get on with it, then there was another promo last autumn, but I did not have a chance to work with it as the plants were not included. Later I think they offered plants library, but Covid got in the way of learning anything new.  And of course the trials do not let you export.... which is why I am offering.  MartinJFrost has luckily been converting his botanicals for DS from Vue, so I am hoping???

Looks really great!  yes  SIlene

Thanks, but I can't take any credit.  Its a purchased product titled "Cracked Valley" by Luigi Marini, AKA "RaffyRaffy", I think from CGTrader or possibly the defunct Cornucopia3D.  Also, I can't resell it or give it away as a result.  Unfortunately, Mr. Marini, last seen at CGTrader, seems to have disappeared recently from the VUE Product business.  I'm glad I've purchased a number of his products over the years.

sad

• StezzaStezza Posts: 7,757

I haven't installed my Vue since forever ( well, maybe about 7 years or so ) .... must do it one day to see if it will still work surprise

if I can find it lol

VUE has changed a LOT in recent years, in particular becoming subscription only.  But it was once a hobbyist friendly program with great products from vendors like Luigi Marini's affordable and massive landscapes (mentioned above).  But also vehicle vendors like Peter Pohle (also disappeared I think) and his amazing copter, which I used in this video.   Starts ~2:00, with some Carrara shots in an export, but the snowy flyover is all VUE.

I'm allergic to subscription software. That's a heck of a cool scene render though. 

I'm allergic to subscription software. That's a heck of a cool scene render though. 

I agree on both counts.  But I have a LOT of purchased VUE scenes that are of that quality, with lots of various camera angles for Carrara animations backgrounds.  

$200/year. (And BTW no exports for that price)  And the AMD machine can do VUE animations in a reasonable time.  I'm starting to weaken.

edited November 2020
    They have monthly subs too, so you can render at 20$ for a month or maybe export at 70$ and give up after a month. /Edit they also do sales, hang on until Black Friday.
    Post edited by 3drendero on
    3drendero said:
    They have monthly subs too, so you can render at 20$ for a month or maybe export at 70$ and give up after a month. /Edit they also do sales, hang on until Black Friday.

Good suggestions.  My VUE 2016 Complete does export (if not "locked" like some of the old Cornucopia3D items).  But the Black Friday idea is great.

Sure enough, E-on Software is offering half off for Black Friday, so $100 for a year of the hobbyist level of Vue.  Another twist, you can buy more than one year, and each one only starts when you activate it, so, e.g. two years for $200.  Yeah, they'll probably have another Black Friday sale next year, but maybe good to lock it in ... 

• SileneUKSileneUK Posts: 1,969
    Steve K said:

Sure enough, E-on Software is offering half off for Black Friday, so $100 for a year of the hobbyist level of Vue.  Another twist, you can buy more than one year, and each one only starts when you activate it, so, e.g. two years for $200.  Yeah, they'll probably have another Black Friday sale next year, but maybe good to lock it in ... 

OK I am not sure.... can you export with the hobby version (without me going to the site to look... am in the middle of something)  That is a good deal.  Xara is another programme I have ben looking at to replace the Dreamweaver that I need, and they have some graphics programmes as well.  Just to mention. On TV we get Adobe CS Cloud adverts all the time on certain channels.  But no really strong offers there that I can see except for £10 a month off the £50 a month normal.  But only for one year.

https://www.sounds-familiar.info/adobe-creative-cloud-commute/

enlightened  Silene

SileneUK said:
    Steve K said:

OK I am not sure.... can you export with the hobby version (without me going to the site to look... am in the middle of something)  That is a good deal.  Xara is another programme I have ben looking at to replace the Dreamweaver that I need, and they have some graphics programmes as well.  Just to mention. On TV we get Adobe CS Cloud adverts all the time on certain channels.  But no really strong offers there that I can see except for £10 a month off the £50 a month normal.  But only for one year.

No, the hobby version of VUE does not export, but I can with my 2016 VUE Complete.  Yes, Xara is a very good, affordable program, I use it for a monthly newsletter, having replaced the discontinued Adobe PageMaker a few years back.  I had kept an old Win XP laptop to run Pagemaker for a long time.  I have Adobe Photoshop CS 5 and am glad I can avoid the subscription.  My wife & I also use Photoshop Elements which is pretty full featured for well under $100, no subscription.  

On VUE Export, 3D Rendero had this suggestion: "They have monthly subs too, so you can ... maybe export at 70$ and give up after a month."

• Steve K said:

Do you mean RTX 2060?  I don't think there's such a thing as a RTX 2600.

Steve K said:

Do you mean RTX 2060?  I don't think there's such a thing as a RTX 2600.

Yes, 2060.