The Marvelous Designer Thread

Comments

• barbultbarbult Posts: 23,049
    lilweep said:
    Ruris said:

@lilweep, thanks for the help on the other thread

I checked some youtube video and when they switch to UV editor, the layout is mostly the same as simulation, not sure what I got wrong here. As every pieces are stacked together and require manual arrangement.

Cant remember but I think if you select them all and right click, you can arrange layout of pattern pieces to 2D viewport view.  (I dont have MD open at the moment but from memory there is something like that.)

Yes that is correct. You can select them by pressing the left mouse button and drawing a marquee around them. Then you can right click and arrange them to the 2D layout. After that you can right click again and fit them to UV unified (0-1).

• RurisRuris Posts: 123
    barbult said:
    lilweep said:
    Ruris said:

I checked some youtube video and when they switch to UV editor, the layout is mostly the same as simulation, not sure what I got wrong here. As every pieces are stacked together and require manual arrangement.

Cant remember but I think if you select them all and right click, you can arrange layout of pattern pieces to 2D viewport view.  (I dont have MD open at the moment but from memory there is something like that.)

Yes that is correct. You can select them by pressing the left mouse button and drawing a marquee around them. Then you can right click and arrange them to the 2D layout. After that you can right click again and fit them to UV unified (0-1).

Thanks, I got it. 

Next step, I tried 'extracting' the UV file by testing the snapshot or the bake texture. Not sure how to describe it, but instead of one giant jpb with all the pieces in it, MD seems to cut it into bit size.

Can't seem to find any youtube tutorial on this whole UV > Texture (photoshop etc) process.

Texture BakeU1V2_[Diffuse].png
    4312 x 4312 - 93K
    Texture BakeU2V2_[Diffuse].png
    4312 x 4312 - 80K
  • I usually export an obj with unified UV and texture selected to get an image of the UVs, and then use the snapshot to get the wire frame version.

I apologize if you already did it, but did you fit your UV's to 0-1 like barbult said before bakeing/snapshoting them ?

• lilweeplilweep Posts: 2,217
    edited October 2020
    Ruris said:
    barbult said:
    lilweep said:
    Ruris said:

Thanks, I got it. 

Next step, I tried 'extracting' the UV file by testing the snapshot or the bake texture. Not sure how to describe it, but instead of one giant jpb with all the pieces in it, MD seems to cut it into bit size.

Can't seem to find any youtube tutorial on this whole UV > Texture (photoshop etc) process.

Each UV tile (0-1, 0-2, etc.) in the grid will define the boundary of a 'texture map' for those pattern pieces you put into that UV tile.

In this video, they fit all their pattern pieces into one UV tile and then resize them to maximise the real estate, so they have more resolution for texturing.

You can distribute your pattern pieces into multiple UV tiles if you want more than one texture map, but pattern pieces should not lie across/between multiiple UV tiles at once.

Pattern pieces that constitute a material zone/surface (i.e., pattern pieces belonging to unique fabric in MD), these need to fit into a single UV tile - they should not be spread across more than one UV tile.

Post edited by lilweep on

After you bake out a map as PNG, you can use that as a template for texturing in Photoshop.

if you set up your shaders in MD for your fabrics, you can bake out multiple maps (colour, roughness, normal) which you can then edit in PS.

edited October 2020

Anyway, here was my test to make thickness with fold lines to create a kind of 'lip' at the edges. 

Ugly test renders in Daz are demonstrations only, not meant to look good.

Daz.JPG
    782 x 531 - 27K
    MarvelousDesigner.JPG
    1413 x 720 - 44K
    Test-Ugly.jpg
    2250 x 1500 - 162K
    lilweep said:

Anyway, here was my test to make thickness with fold lines to create a kind of 'lip' at the edges. 

Ugly test renders in Daz are demonstrations only, not meant to look good.

That looks good.

Im sure it can be improved upon, maybe by doing more extreme curvature.  Curious to know whether it would be maintained under dforce - i havent tested that.

@skinlizzard, @lilweep

Ya, I think I understood it better, I havent tried it out yet, but I got the general gist that the UV need to be 'collected' within the grid as I didn't realize that the 0-1 was xy coordinate. Thanks a lot.

Ok, so I have begin testing with photoshop to texture. 

a) Export the 'snapshot UV' from MD

b) Open snapshot UV in photoshop.

c) Create a base layer (ie white-grey)

d) Create paint layer for certain section of dress

e) Draw selection with pen tool , brush with colors

f) Hit a snag where 2 different pieces meet

Question, any good way to align the red highlights on the dress, or similar issue? Currently just exporting as png, assign as DAZ texture and eyeball as it goes.,

Forum 15.png
    2231 x 1125 - 1M
  • felisfelis Posts: 3,575

The easiest way would be to paint in a 3d texture program.

If you want to use photoshop, you could apply a UV test texture and use that as guide.

edited October 2020

you could do some of this in Marvelous Designer before going to photoshop, either by

1) building the decals as pattern pieces in MD

2) creating the design using internal line - then take snapshot of UV.  You should be able to see Internal lines (althought might be difficult)

3) texturing in MD. (You could create some transparent PNG designs in Photoshop and then import them as a Graphic or Texture into MD)

An alternative is to use 3d painting program like Substance Painter.

• not sure if its available in the older versions but if you are using photoshop cc, you can use the photoshop 3d bridge to export your scene as dae and then paint on the model to get a guide, then right click on the material and view the texture to refine what you've painted.

• .... but the "Photoshop 3D Bridge"  doesnt work.

Currently using mac os 10.15.7 / Photoshop CC 2019 and i have tried everything - i believe - to get this to work, even installing older versions of Photoshop to no avail.

Any help would be appreciated.

• Eva1Eva1 Posts: 1,249

Hi, new to this thread - thanks to all who have posted some very useful tips here. I've just started learning MD, it's great fun!

One thing I haven't worked out how to do properly is to get nice topology around the neckline, armholes when using MD quadrangulated for the finished item. For example if I look at something like the Augmentation Outfit top it has great topology at the neckline (highlighted in the attached pic) - I assume this is an MD mesh (but I could be wrong).

I know that this can be done by instead doing retopology inside MD (this is a fantastic feature) since I'm creating new topology and can control the topo flow (I've done that).  But I'd rather just used the MD quad mesh as is if possible, but the topo flow around neck, armholes etc. isnt' great. I did try using an internal line along those areas then quad the mesh - it works fine along straight edges like bottom hems but not curved areas like armholes.

Can anyone offer any suggestions please?

• Eva1 said:

Hi, new to this thread - thanks to all who have posted some very useful tips here. I've just started learning MD, it's great fun!

One thing I haven't worked out how to do properly is to get nice topology around the neckline, armholes when using MD quadrangulated for the finished item. For example if I look at something like the Augmentation Outfit top it has great topology at the neckline (highlighted in the attached pic) - I assume this is an MD mesh (but I could be wrong).

I know that this can be done by instead doing retopology inside MD (this is a fantastic feature) since I'm creating new topology and can control the topo flow (I've done that).  But I'd rather just used the MD quad mesh as is if possible, but the topo flow around neck, armholes etc. isnt' great. I did try using an internal line along those areas then quad the mesh - it works fine along straight edges like bottom hems but not curved areas like armholes.

Can anyone offer any suggestions please?

Is perfect topology super important?

I recently got into Marvelous Designer + Substance Painter.

I am wondering whether I am at a level right now where i could become a PA.  Attached is an *unfinished* garment i made over the past two days. (Im not willing to learn Z brush to make it look better.)

I havent worked through the pipeline yet of weight maps and JCMs.  Im curious if there are elements of Marvelous Designer clothing that don't hold up when going through the process.  I assume we shouldnt use Mavelous Designer stitching because of the poly count.

wip6.jpg
    4096 x 2048 - 1M

Version 10 is out. Has anybody tried it yet?

• NathNath Posts: 2,713
    barbult said:

I can't even work out which option allows me to upgrade without losing my perpetual license.

• xmasrose (aka tulipe)xmasrose (aka tulipe) Posts: 1,403
    edited November 2020

Does anybody knows if it works on Win7? Because according their web site it is only for Win10 sad .

Post edited by xmasrose (aka tulipe) on

the autofit looks so useful! I hate refitting.  I wonder if it will change UVs.

• Does anybody knows if it works on Win7? Because according their web site it is only for Win10 sad .

The Marvelous Designer System Requirements are listed on their pricing page here: 
    https://www.marvelousdesigner.com/pricing

Scroll-down to the middle of the page and you will see the supported Windows OS is: Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit) 1809
    Windows 10 1909 build recommended.

There is also a note under "Unsupported Features" that says, "Marvelous Designer does not support 32-bit OS. (e.g. Windows 7 32-bit)".

So, that leads one to believe it may run on Windows 7 64-bit, and you may be in luck.  I would contact the company direclty to verify (they are on most of the social media sites).

lilweep said:

the autofit looks so useful! I hate refitting.  I wonder if it will change UVs.

it looks like it does change the shape in 2d window and hence probably UV editor too.

If it didn't change the UV, wouldn't there be terrible texture stretching?

barbult said:

If it didn't change the UV, wouldn't there be terrible texture stretching?

true, but only as much as there is with daz clothing due to morphs.

either way, it's still a cool feature and something i wanted for a long time.  (i didnt realise it was even in the pipeline.)

• nonesuch00nonesuch00 Posts: 17,890
    edited November 2020
    Nath said:
    barbult said:

I can't even work out which option allows me to upgrade without losing my perpetual license.

I bought MD 9.5 recently and will definitely be upgrading to MD 10. It will cost me $122 though. If you have MD 7 or MD 8 it will cost you more. If you have MD 6, too late you can no longer buy a new perpetual license for MD or upgrade your MD 6 license, sorry. If you can upgrade your perpetual license and  once you do get it upgraded you can upgrade up to MD 12 before the MD upgrades are cut off for everybody. So if you do have the possibility to upgrade to MD 12 and you are on MD 7 you need to upgrade to MD 10 before MD 11 comes out. Likewise you'll need to upgrade to MD 11 before MD 12 comes out if you have MD 8. If you have MD 9 you can already upgrade to MD 12 when it comes out without having to do the intermediate MD upgrades.

Personally I was planning on not upgrading to MD 10 but waiting for MD 12 until I saw the new capabilities added to MD 10 which immediately made the $122 upgrade price well worth the money from my perspective.

Post edited by nonesuch00 on

i think free trials reset every numbered release also.  just a psa.

• NathNath Posts: 2,713
    Nath said:
    barbult said:

I bought MD 9.5 recently and will definitely be upgrading to MD 10. It will cost me $122 though. If you have MD 7 or MD 8 it will cost you more. If you have MD 6, too late you can no longer buy a new perpetual license for MD or upgrade your MD 6 license, sorry. If you can upgrade your perpetual license and  once you do get it upgraded you can upgrade up to MD 12 before the MD upgrades are cut off for everybody. So if you do what the possibility to upgrade to MD 12 and you are on MD 7 you need to upgrade to MD 10 before MD 11 comes out. Likewise you'll need to upgrade to MD 11 before MD 12 comes out if you have MD 8. If you have MD 9 you can already upgrade to MD 12 when it comes out without having to do the intermediate MD upgrades.

Personally I was planning on not upgrading to MD 10 but waiting for MD 12 until I saw the new capabilities added to MD 10 which immediately made the $122 upgrade price well worth the money frolm my perspective.

I'm on 9.5, but am actually thinking of skipping this one and waiting for 11 and/or 12 to see if it's still worth it by then. Blender cloth capabilities and plug-ins are also progressing. The upgrades from 10 to 11 and 11 to 12 won't be less than $122 each, which makes the upgrade path well over three hundred dollars.

• nonesuch00nonesuch00 Posts: 17,890
    Nath said:
    Nath said:
    barbult said:

I bought MD 9.5 recently and will definitely be upgrading to MD 10. It will cost me $122 though. If you have MD 7 or MD 8 it will cost you more. If you have MD 6, too late you can no longer buy a new perpetual license for MD or upgrade your MD 6 license, sorry. If you can upgrade your perpetual license and  once you do get it upgraded you can upgrade up to MD 12 before the MD upgrades are cut off for everybody. So if you do what the possibility to upgrade to MD 12 and you are on MD 7 you need to upgrade to MD 10 before MD 11 comes out. Likewise you'll need to upgrade to MD 11 before MD 12 comes out if you have MD 8. If you have MD 9 you can already upgrade to MD 12 when it comes out without having to do the intermediate MD upgrades.

Personally I was planning on not upgrading to MD 10 but waiting for MD 12 until I saw the new capabilities added to MD 10 which immediately made the $122 upgrade price well worth the money frolm my perspective.

I'm on 9.5, but am actually thinking of skipping this one and waiting for 11 and/or 12 to see if it's still worth it by then. Blender cloth capabilities and plug-ins are also progressing. The upgrades from 10 to 11 and 11 to 12 won't be less than $122 each, which makes the upgrade path well over three hundred dollars.

Yes, you can wait then. I liked the features added to MD 10 well enough to immediately upgrade but you have until MD 11 comes out if you change your mind (according to MD support that answered the ticket 2 days ago I wrote asking just that). I also bought Cloth Weaver for Blender a couple years back & it's starting to be more sophisticated too.

hopefully blender cloth sim gets better so they reduce the price of MD, not that i expect that would drive prices down much if there are industry pipelines already set up around it.

edited December 2020

deleted - duplicated below

Post edited by barbult on