ancient world

2»

Comments

• Charlie JudgeCharlie Judge Posts: 12,328
    dawnblade said:

Here is the link to the Ancient World billboards.

Is anybody else having trouble installing the Ancient Worlds Billboards?  Unfortunately, parts 03, 21, 22, 23, 33, and 34 repeatedly fail to download for me both in DIM and manually. crying

• dawnbladedawnblade Posts: 1,723
    dawnblade said:

Is anybody else having trouble installing the Ancient Worlds Billboards?  Unfortunately, parts 03, 21, 22, 23, 33, and 34 repeatedly fail to download for me both in DIM and manually. crying

So far, 1-31 have installed through DIM successfully, and the rest are continuing on. If they were broken for you they would have failed for me too. Maybe the server was being slammed, and these are huge files. Happened to me the other day with one of Dreamlight's tutorials, but the next day it downloaded fine.

Have you tried downloading just one at a time and/or at a non-peak time (whatever that might be for Daz)? It's a pain I know but if one of the above downloads, then it isn't the product.

• Charlie JudgeCharlie Judge Posts: 12,328
    dawnblade said:
    dawnblade said:

So far, 1-31 have installed through DIM successfully, and the rest are continuing on. If they were broken for you they would have failed for me too. Maybe the server was being slammed, and these are huge files. Happened to me the other day with one of Dreamlight's tutorials, but the next day it downloaded fine.

Have you tried downloading just one at a time and/or at a non-peak time (whatever that might be for Daz)? It's a pain I know but if one of the above downloads, then it isn't the product.

Thanks for your reply. I am happy to report that the file have now downloaded and installed successfully for me this morning.

• maikdeckermaikdecker Posts: 2,750
    Havos said:
    Havos said:

It looks somewhat like the ampitheatre in Epidavros in Greece, which I visited many years ago. This is one of the largest surviving amphitheatres in the world. I can only speak for the seating part, as the front stage area has been pretty much completely destroyed by a combination of earthquakes and the ravages of time. The main seating was built into the surround hillside, and was thus remains largely intact.

Here is a picture, if anyone is interested:

^This was one of the references I used. Another was this:

https://media.istockphoto.com/photos/ancient-amphitheatre-in-hierapolispamukkaleturkey-picture-id886382160

And there were others too so it's based on a few different theatres rather than trying to reproduce just one.

But yes, some 'artistic' decisions were made for the purposes of Dazifying it - it's smaller to (a) avoid the need for 8K textures (as it is, the seating alone uses 3 sets of 4K textures), and (b) to make it easier to appear populated. The wall around the back has no gap to avoid the need for more scenery behind it when rendering (people enter through the archway at the bottom).

It's more 'historically plausible' than 'historically accurate' - I know that's not everybody's cup of tea (so apologies to those who'd prefer a more precise reproduction), but I hope some people find a good use for it (especially at the price Daz are selling it for - I think it comes down to less than $3 for PC+ members in the cart).

:)

forum posts and opinions mean little

sales are what counts

those who don't want it needn't buy it so I really didn't understand all the comments 

there are other Amphitheaters  

Sure - but it's also fair enough for people to express what they wish had been done differently as well as what they like about a product - other PAs might decide for themselves where to draw the historical accuracy line. This being a DO, I won't know how well it sold - but Daz usually have a good eye for what will be popular.

For me the most important thing is the "plausabilty" rather than the 100% accuracy. Given that most viewers of renders are not likely to be experts in a particular period of history, then the critical fact is that it looks to most causal observers that it "fits" the genre. My issue with many, so called historical garments are they are not remotely such. For example calling something a toga when it just a tunic or even a loin cloth. Other examples are female outfits in the pirate era consisting of thigh high leather boots and very skimpy dresses.

+1

The amphitheater looks plaudible. A smaller one for a smaller settlement maybe.. more rural region than Athens mayhaps.. but useable.

All the "Viking" products in the shop that don't anything from the time period or/and region are a nuisance for me... devil