Displacement map

AtlantisAtlantis Posts: 133
edited July 2012 in Bryce Discussion

Hi.......

I did experiment with displacement maps...

But!!!!...

Displacement doesn't show up on ground plane... also for some reason it doesn't work perfect on sphere and cylinder

All objects and ground plane do have same material setting

see sample:

kindly regards: Atlantis

Post edited by Atlantis on

Comments

• Joe CotterJoe Cotter Posts: 3,258
    edited December 1969

you might want to post your objects as a set on ShareCG and provide a link so anyone who is interested in looking at it can see exactly what your settings are on the objects.

• ChoholeChohole Posts: 33,604
    edited December 1969

I don't understand what you are saying there Gedd. THe OP is using prims, straight from Bryce, and thus meshes which it is not permissable to share, as per the Daz EULA., and also meshes that are immediately available anyway to anyone who is also using Bryce.

@tlantis As I understand it Displacement is not working, or is not working correctly in Bryce.

I expect someone will pop in who knows more about it than I do to help you.

edited July 2012

Sorry, got to this post through 'unread posts' so didn't realize he was using Bryce, was thinking DS.

I just noticed, in light grey text on grey background up top, it tells what thread you are in. That feature doesn't exactly jump out at one though. Handy now that I've noticed it.

Post edited by Joe Cotter on
  • ChoholeChohole Posts: 33,604
    edited December 1969

Yeah those little bits are called "Breadcrumbs" and can be handy.

edited July 2012

I've written breadcrumbs into websites, so I'm familiar with them. I've just never considered doing it with that color scheme. Not that it's a bad color scheme, but I don't think breadcrumbs are ubiquitous enough for people to naturally notice them with a very subtle color scheme. (Btw, only reason I mention my background with them is to point out just how easy it is to miss the fact they are there.)

Post edited by Joe Cotter on
  • HoroHoro Posts: 10,069
    edited December 1969

@@tlantis - as far as I know, Bryce cannot use displacement maps. You can use them in the bump channel, but this is a very unsatisfactory workaround. Displacement as such is a bit wanky in Bryce. It tends to crash.

• David BrinnenDavid Brinnen Posts: 3,136
    edited December 1969

@tlants, yes as Horo observes - although I am certain he means "wonky" not "wanky", either way it is a fair comment on the state of displacement in Bryce. It is unstable and when it can be coaxed into life, it is clear that the mapping modes are not correctly applied. If you want to displace a surface you could use a terrain and feed the displacement as a height map. Use parametric to align the image with the displacement map but be aware, if your height maps are 16 bit - which Bryce uses internally, it is difficult to get Bryce to accept these and retain the resolution due to faulty importer/exporters.

• HoroHoro Posts: 10,069
    edited December 1969

Thanks for the correction, David. Yes, wonky was what I meant - unreliable and prone to break.

• AtlantisAtlantis Posts: 133
    edited December 1969

# David & Horo...

In the above samples I used the displacement feature on the material and it seems to work best on objects with straight sides like cube and pyramid

It gives awesome depth effects... ( as you can see )

Displacement value is set to 50

• TJohnTJohn Posts: 10,991
    edited December 1969

The first version to include displacement did work for me Atlantis (as long as I kept it simple) although the latest version invariable crashes and I no longer have access to the earlier one as it was overwritten.
    I suspect you are using the earlier version as to me it is obviously deforming the surfaces beyond their normal boundaries and not just adding a bump map.
    As to the cylinder, have you tried changing the map application to Cylindrical? That might help.
    And displacement requires the object to have depth, so a surface plane in Bryce can't deform. You need to create a volume plane (aka a Slab). Although I suspect an endless slab with a displacement will crash.
    Happy experimenting.

• TJohnTJohn Posts: 10,991
    edited December 1969

BTW, that texture looks VERY Gigerish. If it's not a "swipe" from an actual Giger painting, I would love to have it.