massively stupid download requirements

CrystalwizardCrystalwizard Posts: 102
edited October 2020 in Daz Studio Discussion

so I want to download the latest level of Studio and install it.

1. i'm logged in

2. I already have Central installed on my machine

3. I had a lower level of studio but i've uninstalled it

The webpage couldn't tell I was already logged in, it forced me to 'login' again.

then

i can't just download studio, i have to REDOWNLOAD AND INSTALL central, the same version I already have installed, to get studio?

what?

seriously?

someone fix the (snip) website!

Post edited by Chohole on

Comments

• SevrinSevrin Posts: 6,301

Don't use Daz Central.  Use DIM.  Installed the new DS beta with no issues.

• Can also be downloaded manually from one's Product Library.

• jestmartjestmart Posts: 4,449

Beta can onlt be installed with DIM or Central (hurck pooie).

• jestmart said:

Beta can onlt be installed with DIM or Central (hurck pooie).

Daz Central is not for betas (I guess as part of the simplified experience for new users aspect)

• Roman_K2Roman_K2 Posts: 1,206

For what it's worth I had the same or similar issue when I tried to update DAZ on an older computer that I had not used for a year or so. I went with a DIM upgrade after seeming to fall flat when I filled out the "download DAZ Studio" page. Nothing seemed to happen. My "old" DS seemed to stay the same.

Can also be downloaded manually from one's Product Library.

I guess I must have missed that option/possibility.

• KeryaKerya Posts: 10,943
    Roman_K2 said:

For what it's worth I had the same or similar issue when I tried to update DAZ on an older computer that I had not used for a year or so. I went with a DIM upgrade after seeming to fall flat when I filled out the "download DAZ Studio" page. Nothing seemed to happen. My "old" DS seemed to stay the same.

Can also be downloaded manually from one's Product Library.

I guess I must have missed that option/possibility.

https://www.daz3d.com/downloader/customer/files#prod_13176

edited October 2020

Thanks. I tried that link and got the DS 64-bit file for manual installation. The DIM ones proved troublesome if I'm not mistaken.

And the manual install crashed towards the end and I shut down the computer. I suspect there maybe been a small dialog box eg. "File exists. Do you want to overwrite it?" box underneath the progress box.

Bottom line: a somewhat less-than-smooth UX.

Post edited by Roman_K2 on

Here we go again. New computer, and that link is now broken. Really don't want to use DAZ Central, arrrgh.

• KeryaKerya Posts: 10,943
    Roman_K2 said:

Here we go again. New computer, and that link is now broken. Really don't want to use DAZ Central, arrrgh.

It's not broken ... the powers that be decided to put the downloads in the description. *Eyeroll*

Click on Description and scroll doooooown.

• 3. I had a lower level of studio but i've uninstalled it

what does that phrase mean? ​if you do not have patience for even a simple install then DS is not for you, go to Blender and make the donut tutorial.

Late March 2021 and I've got an old, refurbished Dell computer desirable only because it has a nice screen, Nvidia graphics, 12 Gb of RAM and it supports 2 more external monitors.

I'm pretty sure I'm using the aboved-noted 1.4.0.67 version of DIM and I am literally getting nothing - see screenshot. DAZ Studio 4.15 ran ok but no content for some reason.

I have a fair amount of experience doing this, and I have encountered problems on BRAND NEW Dell machines (PostGres issues IIRC).  I'm used to being surprised, but this is a first.

dim-issues-cont'd.jpg
    1196 x 805 - 164K
  • AscaniaAscania Posts: 1,838

Roman_K2 said:

Late March 2021 and I've got an old, refurbished Dell computer desirable only because it has a nice screen, Nvidia graphics, 12 Gb of RAM and it supports 2 more external monitors.

I'm pretty sure I'm using the aboved-noted 1.4.0.67 version of DIM and I am literally getting nothing - see screenshot. DAZ Studio 4.15 ran ok but no content for some reason.

I have a fair amount of experience doing this, and I have encountered problems on BRAND NEW Dell machines (PostGres issues IIRC).  I'm used to being surprised, but this is a first.

Re-select the items and start again and it will continue the downloads from where they failed. Then it will fail again and you'll have to repeat until it deigns to finally finish. On occasion it will refuse to continue and instead restart from zero for some reason. And on some days (usually ones ending in -Y) it might refuse to finish one product or another at all.

This is not, I repeat

NOT

an issue with your computer. We all have it.

• Ascania said:

Roman_K2 said:

Re-select the items and start again and it will continue the downloads from where they failed. Then it will fail again and you'll have to repeat until it deigns to finally finish. On occasion it will refuse to continue and instead restart from zero for some reason. And on some days (usually ones ending in -Y) it might refuse to finish one product or another at all.

This is not, I repeat

NOT

an issue with your computer. We all have it.

There was a lot of this after the store changeover but I've had only one or two failures recently, despite an excessive number of purchases in March Madness. If you are getting frequent failures still please flag them up for support.