JACK TOMALIN APPRECIATION SOCIETY [JAS III]

Comments

• IanTPIanTP Posts: 1,326
    edited December 1969

I haven't dared put 4.5 on yet, I may put it on the mac for a test, as i use the PC mostly, even tho it is not as powerful.

• SzarkSzark Posts: 10,634
    edited December 1969

I have done two images in 4.5 RC2 and the only crashes I have had was down to memory, well a lack of it. :) But it is an improvement over the laggy 4.0.3.47 which was driving me nuts. Ok more nuts than I am normally. ;) Oh I had a Genesis Morphs installation problem but a quick reinstall fixed that...after I made a bug report. DOH!

Yes there a few bugs but for me it is usable. Also this could be just anecdotal but I swear it is rendering faster.

• Daz Jack TomalinDaz Jack Tomalin Posts: 13,085
    edited December 1969

Szark said:
    I have done two images in 4.5 RC2 and the only crashes I have had was down to memory, well a lack of it. :) But it is an improvement over the laggy 4.0.3.47 which was driving me nuts. Ok more nuts than I am normally. ;) Oh I had a Genesis Morphs installation problem but a quick reinstall fixed that...after I made a bug report. DOH!

Yes there a few bugs but for me it is usable. Also this could be just anecdotal but I swear it is rendering faster.

Handy to know, thanks for the heads up :)

edited December 1969

Cheers Szark, yh I have heard too that the preview window and renders are quicker in 4.5 :)

edited December 1969

Oh so it may not be wishfull thinking then. :)

edited December 1969

Szark said:
    Oh so it may not be wishfull thinking then. :)

The answer is probably more renders to test the supposition! ;)

edited December 1969

I have nothing to gauge it with. I don't have DS4.0.3.47 installed anymore. :)

edited December 1969

Westpark finally. :)

TaxiS.jpg
    800 x 1132 - 374K
    edited December 1969

Love it.. just out of interest, are the light rays DS? or postwork?

edited December 1969

Chheers. Rays are all DS using the volumetric camera out of this Atmospheric Effects Cameras for DAZ Studio

edited December 1969

Szark said:
    Chheers. Rays are all DS using the volumetric camera out of this Atmospheric Effects Cameras for DAZ Studio

cool, I have that, but wouldn't have a clue on how to create that :)

edited July 2012

Ian, two spot lights and a Volume camera is all you need.

In this case I used a basic Spot 15% coloured light/mid purple and placed it beside the camera. Copy the camera, select Ctrl + C and then select the spot and Ctrl + V. Then move the spot either right or left a bit.

The other spot (here I used Uber Spot as I wanted to use the light gel function) I placed it behind the figure dead centre but some distance back facing the camera. Spread angle 30, intensity 100% Intensity scale 300% and colour white. The colour will come for the light Gel. (see used light gel bolow). You can use a normal spot and just adjust the colour to suit. I find saturated colours best. Also what I like about Uber Spots is that we have control of the shadow colour and intensity.

I also played with making my own Shader Mixer Spot light. It worked after a fashion and gave a very eerie feel which I am going to use in another image later. But the Shader Mixer spot will need more work and learning. :)

Then the Volume camera: See image below for the final settings I used.

Also don't forget we need to have the scene enclosed either with a primitive or a sky dome. Here I used my LDP2 look-a-like sky dome that I made myself after finding LDP2 won't work in DS4. :)

The last image is what the plain render looks like straight out of Daz Studio

Hope that helps a little.

t2bS.jpg
    700 x 991 - 126K
    Volume_Cam_settings.jpg
    375 x 398 - 42K
    Gel.jpg
    512 x 512 - 30K
    Post edited by Szark on
  • JaderailJaderail Posts: 0
    edited December 1969

Love me some God Rays. Thanks for all the info.

edited December 1969

No probs Jaderail. Hope Ian and others can get some use out of these great cameras. I have a number of scenes set up in my testing waiting to be completed. :)

edited December 1969

Szark said:
    No probs Jaderail. Hope Ian and others can get some use out of these great cameras. I have a number of scenes set up in my testing waiting to be completed. :)

Thanks Szark, post bookmarked!! :)

edited December 1969

My pleasure. Hope we get to see an image with them being used. :)

edited December 1969

Szark said:
    My pleasure. Hope we get to see an image with them being used. :)

he he, having fun with toadz's last tut at the mo :-)

• SimonJMSimonJM Posts: 5,942
    edited December 1969

A couple of recent renders up on deviantART using West Park locales as the basis (some nudity):
    http://fav.me/d57penp
    http://fav.me/d57tgqq
    http://fav.me/d57o2ok

edited December 1969

Thanks for sharing Simon

Shame the new forum has slowed down this thread. We were going full steam with the old second one. :(

• berriboyberriboy Posts: 170
    edited December 1969

Here are a few renders I have done while experimenting with lighting and surfaces.

The Pier, I used skies of reality and with Throne (the new version) I finally worked out how to convert an HDR image and use it in UE2. I also added two Daz spots and two Daz linear points.

Hope you like them and feedback is welcome.

SkelThrone001.jpg
    800 x 640 - 263K
    pier-high.jpg
    800 x 560 - 111K
    edited December 1969

Stunning images thank you so much for sharing and contributing to the JAS thread.

• Scott LivingstonScott Livingston Posts: 4,331
    edited December 1969

Hi! I'm new to the JAS... I've been looking forward to posting this here for some time, and I think I can now that the contest I had entered it in is over and the results posted. This didn't win anything, but I'm still very pleased with how it turned out. I used the rock from Parkside Point Ground for all the rocks and mountains: one in the foreground and three instances in the background, all scaled and positioned in various ways.

highking3i.jpg
    618 x 800 - 246K
    edited December 1969

I was wondering what that ground was. Thanks for contributing Scott. :)

• Scott LivingstonScott Livingston Posts: 4,331
    edited December 1969

...and this was an entry in a different contest. This one was an honorable mention--my first prize-winning render! :) Used Carnival Midway and Carnival Midway Interior (I altered the textures a bit in order to fit the theme of the render, which was to poke fun at the pricing issues during the Supersuit release).

Step right up! Try your luck!
    Give the wheel a tumble!
    Will you pay a “super” price?
    Or will it cost a bundle?

Link to original post with full commentary: http://www.daz3d.com/forums/viewreply/44966/

lemonade2d.jpg
    800 x 800 - 483K
    edited December 1969

Brilliant images everyone..

Sorry for my absence yet again - but here's hoping that now the forum is getting better we can pick up where we left off previously.

Here's the promo for the completed Baroque Grandeur redux.. release date hasn't been decided upon - but will be sooo-in the [hopefully] very near] future

MainL.jpg
    1000 x 1300 - 343K
    edited December 1969

Hi! I'm new to the JAS... I've been looking forward to posting this here for some time, and I think I can now that the contest I had entered it in is over and the results posted. This didn't win anything, but I'm still very pleased with how it turned out. I used the rock from Parkside Point Ground for all the rocks and mountains: one in the foreground and three instances in the background, all scaled and positioned in various ways.

Welcome to the JAS!

There's some really nice renders - shame you didn't win anything but better luck next time :)

Also, cheers Szark for manning the fort while I was AWOL!

edited December 1969

Also, cheers Szark for manning the fort while I was AWOL!

No worries Jack. :)
  • kyoto kidkyoto kid Posts: 40,514
    edited December 1969

Sorry for my absence yet again - but here's hoping that now the forum is getting better we can pick up where we left off previously.

Here's the promo for the completed Baroque Grandeur redux.. release date hasn't been decided upon - but will be sooo-in the [hopefully] very near] future

...BG has been redone?
    edited December 1969

Kyoto Kid said:

...BG has been redone?

Yea, remember I had to pull all the Redhouse stuff?

All of them are having their base textures replaced, then a quick spit and polish and being relaunched. It's a ton of work though - but well worth it.

• LeanaLeana Posts: 10,932
    edited December 1969

The new version looks awesome :)
This discussion has been closed.