320+ TUTORIALS at CARRARA CAFE

13»

Comments

• DartanbeckDartanbeck Posts: 21,106
    edited December 1969

SWEEEEEEET!!! You Go Girl!

• evilproducerevilproducer Posts: 9,040
    edited December 1969

The cool part is that now, when you do dig in on the illustrations, you have a much better understanding what you you can do - so they'll turn out better ;)

Truth!!! And for starting, rendering the characters in carrara with indirect and sky light actually give a completely different look to the skin - they seem less plastic than in ds!!!

I have to say... I'm really becoming a carrara addict/lover!! Specially after all those cool rendering tips I got here!!! I'm just finishing that troubled render today and then go to the illustrations ;) I want the book edited this year!! And hope to be able to do an english edition to after the portuguese one!! :)

I have very little experience with it, but Carrara also has a non-photorealistic render as well as a cell / cartoon style scene effect. I'm not sure of the look you're going after, but it may be worth it to look into those when you have the time.

• MysticWingsMysticWings Posts: 226
    edited December 1969

The cool part is that now, when you do dig in on the illustrations, you have a much better understanding what you you can do - so they'll turn out better ;)

Truth!!! And for starting, rendering the characters in carrara with indirect and sky light actually give a completely different look to the skin - they seem less plastic than in ds!!!

I have to say... I'm really becoming a carrara addict/lover!! Specially after all those cool rendering tips I got here!!! I'm just finishing that troubled render today and then go to the illustrations ;) I want the book edited this year!! And hope to be able to do an english edition to after the portuguese one!! :)

I have very little experience with it, but Carrara also has a non-photorealistic render as well as a cell / cartoon style scene effect. I'm not sure of the look you're going after, but it may be worth it to look into those when you have the time.

For my book in particular I like more the look of the normal renders. Want more a mix of realism with painting... in a fantasy style... something like that. But is good to know. There have been some talking about me illustrating a children book. There I will need a more cartoon look, if I get the job of course. I knew daz have this cartoon render style, but didn't knew carrara had it to! :) And there's also a plan in my head of doing a kind of manga!! %-P I can see how that cartoonish render can help! :-) So many ideas... And time just fly everyday...

edited December 1969

True. Also there is a free plugin available in the Carrara Cafe Download Center called YAToon!, which has a lot of additional toon style settings that can be used. The author has a really amazing write-up complete with tutorial. I have it, but haven't played with it as much as I should have. Just not doing cartoons these days. But when that time comes, I'll delve a bit deeper.

The Toon renderer that comes in Carrara is pretty great, too. There are many possibilities with it, but it takes a lot of practice, as it's a whole new way of rendering, all over again ;)

edited December 1969

For my book in particular I like more the look of the normal renders. Want more a mix of realism with painting... in a fantasy style... something like that. But is good to know. There have been some talking about me illustrating a children book. There I will need a more cartoon look, if I get the job of course. I knew daz have this cartoon render style, but didn't knew carrara had it to! :) And there's also a plan in my head of doing a kind of manga!! %-P I can see how that cartoonish render can help! :-) So many ideas... And time just fly everyday...

There's always Photoshop filters as well! They can be fun to play with.

edited December 1969

Nice... I'm addicted to learn... you feed my addiction... Yeap... I see we're going to get along for a long long time :P And that eventually I will forget to have a life... lolololol

In Daz Studio is just the same but makes a cartoon effect. For what I saw is nothing of special. If in carrara is an whole new ground... I really have to explore that!! I might be good, very good.

I remember that long ago I used to play with that in photoshop, now that you mention... I used to take photos and then turn them into cartoons... It was like 10 years ago or more... have to check that to! :)

edited December 1969

Nice... I'm addicted to learn... you feed my addiction... Yeap... I see we're going to get along for a long long time :P And that eventually I will forget to have a life... lolololol

In Daz Studio is just the same but makes a cartoon effect. For what I saw is nothing of special. If in carrara is an whole new ground... I really have to explore that!! I might be good, very good.

I remember that long ago I used to play with that in photoshop, now that you mention... I used to take photos and then turn them into cartoons... It was like 10 years ago or more... have to check that to! :)

Here's an experiment for you to try when you get the chance. Try rendering a Depth Pass. It will be a graduated grayscale image with darker shades being closer to the camera and white being further away. Or was it the other way around? Anyway, in Photoshop, copy and paste your rendered picture . I like to paste twice so as to preserve the Background or base layer in its original state. Set up the top layer as a layer mask and copy and paste the Depth pass into the layer mask. Now experiment with adding different filters to the bottom layer. You could even invert the color on the depth pass that is being used as a layer mask for different effects.

This picture I inverted the depth pass and applied a Poster Edge filter to the bottom layer.

Dells_Midday_poster_hybrid.jpg
    2000 x 1333 - 2M
    Picture_3.png
    1179 x 684 - 357K
    Picture_2.png
    1199 x 696 - 360K
    Picture_1.png
    1192 x 688 - 1M
    edited December 1969

Cool!! Will try it ;) thanks!!

• wetcircuitwetcircuit Posts: 0
    edited December 1969

Hi everybody!! I got a little tied up with work, but had some time yesterday and today to work on CAFE....

– Updating this thread to announce we are currently at over 280+ TUTORIALS!! I still have quite a few to add, so more will be coming soon.

– We also have a new "home" page that I hope will get you into CAFE a little faster... With the most recent Articles, Projects, Plugins, and News presented up front....

– I've also settled our category directory, so the "featured" slider has returned. If you have links to specific articles on CAFE (*hint hint Dart*) I think it is safe to grab the new URLs now....

There are a few features that still do not work, like our individual group pages.... trying to track down the issue. I'm sure I have just missed how to assign the individual groups to a page or something.... Many of our Showcase pages are still down for repairs as they have formatting from the old theme which is not displaying correctly....

– Up next is adding all the C3DE issues in flipbook format, but with optimized pages so they take less time and bandwidth to view. The full quality C3DE pdfs are available on the Downloads page...

– an interactive Tutorials directory to get you into the topics you need....

– New Articles have been submitted, so we'll be having some new Articles just as soon as I can get them formatted and published...

Thanks everyone! And if you have problems or suggestions please don't hesitate to use the forums or leave a comment!
    Cheers!

edited December 1969

Wow. That's a lot of new bliss, Holly! Thank you!
    Looking forward to all of your plans coming through... that's really going to rock! Also, the new home page loads amazingly fast for me. Fastest home page I have as a stored place to go! Bravo on you, as it used to always be the slowest! ;)

I also like the addition of all of the tutorials. Really nice touch, and what better place to display them, right? Beautiful job, young lady... beautiful job!

edited December 1969

We passed 300+ TUTORIALS this morning!!! 317 as I'm writing this....

Plus have a look at the new FRONT PAGE that displays FEATURED ARTICLES - including the newest: ERC MADE EASY by Conrad3DC

We also have new QUICK LINKS to other Carrara Communities (including international communities) and Plugin sites, right in the sidebar so you can't loose them! Thanks to RK for helping with this!

edited December 1969

I love it!
    Now we just need to find a way to get the galleries back into to fore running... or not so much?
    Yeah, rk... thanks for updating this stuff. I've corrected the Special Carrara Links link in the Table of Contents of the Carrara information manual to take navigators to the new links download page you've made. Pretty sweet, my friend... pretty sweet!

Holly,
    the Cafe is really looking nice! I love it!

• rk66rk66 Posts: 420
    edited December 1969

Hi,

no problem Holly and thanks Dartan.

You find now at the bottom on the right side also some useful direct links to:
    - Books for Carrara
    - DAZ Documentation Center
    - Magazines and Trainings

rk.

edited December 1969

Now we just need to find a way to get the galleries back into to fore running... or not so much?

:blank: Can't I bask in the non sunshine for a minute?

j/k

There is a gallery here:
    http://carraracafe.com/gallery/

Apparently it has always been there... I don't think I have attempted to use it.... EvilProducer used it in the past and there are great images there.... Do we like it or hate it? Should I attempt to revive it? Does anyone want to test it?

edited December 1969

j/k

There is a gallery here:

Apparently it has always been there... I don't think I have attempted to use it.... EvilProducer used it in the past and there are great images there.... Do we like it or hate it? Should I attempt to revive it? Does anyone want to test it?

Bask away, you deserve it!

• d-j-od-j-o Posts: 345
    edited December 1969

Here's an experiment for you to try when you get the chance. Try rendering a Depth Pass. It will be a graduated grayscale image with darker shades being closer to the camera and white being further away. Or was it the other way around? Anyway, in Photoshop, copy and paste your rendered picture . I like to paste twice so as to preserve the Background or base layer in its original state. Set up the top layer as a layer mask and copy and paste the Depth pass into the layer mask. Now experiment with adding different filters to the bottom layer. You could even invert the color on the depth pass that is being used as a layer mask for different effects.

This picture I inverted the depth pass and applied a Poster Edge filter to the bottom layer.

That's a cool idea! Never thought to use depth that way.

edited December 1969

j/k

There is a gallery here:

Bask away, you deserve it!Yeah... bask :)

Kashyyyk, I agree. It is very cool.

edited December 1969
    edited December 1969

I was going to write a tutorial on how to birth a calf, but then I:

#1 realized Sockratease has been MIA.

#2 Briskette Bardot (our beef brood cow) gave birth to a little Whiteface just fine on her own.

#3 It's not Carrara related. :down:

edited December 1969

#2 Briskette Bardot (our beef brood cow) gave birth to a little Whiteface just fine on her own.

Sorry to disappoint. Like I said, I was asked to.
    edited December 1969

I was going to write a tutorial on how to birth a calf,

Wait... do you have to already be a cow?
    edited December 1969

Sorry to disappoint. Like I said, I was asked to.

What?! You don't know nuthin' 'bout birthin' no cows! How can you write a tutorial about it? ;-)

edited May 2014

I was going to write a tutorial on how to birth a calf,

Wait... do you have to already be a cow?

It helps. :P They can weigh anywhere between 40 to 110 pounds at birth depending on the breed. this little one is probably in the 80 pound range.

What I meant about helping to birth the calf was more along the line of midwifery. Assisting with the the birth if there are complications. You haven't lived until you've been up to your elbows in birth gunk while gently (with all your strength) yanking a breach out of a cow. Thankfully, it's been about twenty+ years since I had to go elbows deep. ;-)

This little guy (or gal) was born probably early this morning or late last night with no complications.

little_whiteface.jpg
    640 x 480 - 255K
    Post edited by evilproducer on
    edited December 1969

DAAAAAWWWWWWWWW

edited December 1969

Adorable! :)

edited December 1969

I'll just keep posting updates in this thread....

Finished uploading all 10 issues of C3DE in interactive flipbook format to CAFE. The flipbook requires Flash to view, but I have optimized the pages to load much faster.... On my connection I can set the page-turn timer in fullscreen and the magazine downloads and pages turn in realtime...
    http://carraracafe.com/c3de/

(There is a less glamorous HTML5 version if you are on iPad, but the whole site's formatting is borked on ios... I've heard it looks good on Android)

C3DE-screengrab.jpg
    880 x 640 - 104K
    Screen_Shot_2014-05-13_at_10.47_.23_AM_.png
    534 x 595 - 351K
    edited December 1969

I'll just keep posting updates in this thread....

Finished uploading all 10 issues of C3DE in interactive flipbook format to CAFE. The flipbook requires Flash to view, but I have optimized the pages to load much faster.... On my connection I can set the page-turn timer in fullscreen and the magazine downloads and pages turn in realtime...
    http://carraracafe.com/c3de/

(There is a less glamorous HTML5 version if you are on iPad, but the whole site's formatting is borked on ios... I've heard it looks good on Android)

Thanks for this, Holly! Much appreciated! :)
  • IamArtistXIamArtistX Posts: 119
    edited December 1969

I was going to write a tutorial on how to find the tutorials on Carrara Cafe :lol:

edited December 1969

I was going to write a tutorial on how to find the tutorials on Carrara Cafe :lol:

Hahaha PLEASE!