[resolved] Some objs created in Hexagon will not import into Daz 3D

katywhitekatywhite Posts: 414
edited September 2020 in Hexagon Discussion

Hi! So I created a model in Hexagon. I exported each piece as a seperate obj so I could apply textures to different parts and manipulate them, etc. However while I could improt some of the objs others when importing did not apppear (I checked the layers panel they literally did not show up). I have however exported these objs before from Hexagon. Why not just use the old objs? Well for some reason for THOSE objs my textures went funny when I applied them on those objs. And that mystery I have not solved either - it's just rexporting the objs the textures now seem to work (on the objs I could actually export). I've restarted both Hexagon and Daz 3d and tried reexporting these objs many times - not working.

Not an expert with Hexagon or Daz3d - any help much appreciated!

Post edited by katywhite on

Comments

• If you can put the HXN files (not OBJs) on Drop Box (or simular) and PM me a link I will have a look at the files for you.

• AscaniaAscania Posts: 1,838

The OBJs themselves might be interesting to, to see what particular malformation kicks it up.

• May I ask why you are exporting each part seperately ?

The only time I think I've done that was when making a room (separate walls).

Here's a screengrab of the regular import/export options.

import-export.jpg
    965 x 578 - 103K
  • katywhitekatywhite Posts: 414
    edited September 2020

Hi @Wee Dangerous John  @Ascania

Thank you for your quick replies!

I am even more surprised today - after turning on my machine and trying to re-export the objs yet again, the pieces that weren't working yesterday are now exporting properly.

But get this - the old objs that I exported that didn't work STILL DON'T WORK. But I never changed any export settings! It is as if it is getting corrupt or something but I don't see anything obvious showing that. File size is the same. And why turning off my machine and turning it back on seemed to have fixed the issue when restarting the programs didn't I don't understand either.

To answer your questions though...

I'm exporting each part seperately so I can have each part moveable by parameters. If I export it as one piece the only way I can make it move would be to apply morphs or rig it which is more work.

This is the export option I use from Hexagon (never changed it):

This is the import option I use from Daz 3D (also never changed):

The settings I am using are a bit different from yours. Is there anything you see that would be causing some issues (sometimes but not always?)? (And I can't upload the hex files sorry)

daz import option obj.png
    464 x 515 - 22K
    hexagon export option for obj.png
    420 x 330 - 12K
    Post edited by katywhite on
  • Rigging can be frustrating but fun when it when it works.

I just tried using your setting and the prop loading in perfectly. I'm no techy so take this with a pinch of salt - Is your hard drive on its way out ? (please don't let me be a jinx)

If you can find a way (dropbox, google drive etc) to upload the files I will take a look.

• Not likely the harddrive - in my experience much more likely that Hexagon did something funky. Once in awhile [and I do mean rarely] it will pop up a message that it cannot do something and closing Hexagon is the only option. [by the way never overwrite projects saves when it gives warnings] Then in going back to previous project files, one discovers that the error actually happened way before Hexagon gave an alert.

Now this only ever happened "once" in all the years I've been using Hexagon but because it ever did happen for major projects I highly recommend using nestled folders for project saves. i.e. do not put all eggs in one basket. "One" time, Hexagon not only was not saving the project files correctly, it messed up the ENTIRE folder's worth of the incre saved projects. If one tried to export out an .obj file from a messed up project file it quite likely would not work.

When working on a major piece - when everything does appear to be on track, it is prudent to export out the occasional .obj file as a backup in addition to whatever project files one is saving.

One can open additional instances of Hexagon to check those exports before closing the instance of Hexagon that made them.

Not likely the harddrive - in my experience much more likely that Hexagon did something funky.

Indeed. Harddrive issues would manifest in other ways too while things like leaving a curve in when exporting basically only trip up D|S.

• Wee Dangerous JohnWee Dangerous John Posts: 1,605
    edited September 2020

Glad to hear it is not a hard drive issue.

Post edited by Wee Dangerous John on
  • Roman_K2Roman_K2 Posts: 1,206

...in my experience much more likely that Hexagon did something funky.

In my (admittedly limited) experience the latest, 64-bit one seems to be better. No question that sending stuff to DS sometimes yields surprises, mostly smoothing issues esp. sharp angles and corners.

And "too much smoothing" on the Hexagon side, prior to sending it off over the bridge, tends to be a no-no as well.

• Roman_K2 said:

...in my experience much more likely that Hexagon did something funky.

In my (admittedly limited) experience the latest, 64-bit one seems to be better. No question that sending stuff to DS sometimes yields surprises, mostly smoothing issues esp. sharp angles and corners.

And "too much smoothing" on the Hexagon side, prior to sending it off over the bridge, tends to be a no-no as well.

When you have only the model showing in the 64-bit, and you then go to the 2 screen view to see the uvmap side ... does it freeze? Does over here. UVmapping totally a no-go.

Nope, doesn't.

• I'm using W10 and the 64bit freezes everytime when I try to launch the uvmap view when there is an object existing. Can open the 2 panes when there is nothing. But then should I load an item, it again freezes. Absolutely refuses to display uvmaps.

• UV maping works fine for me Catherine.

• Okay thanks. I'll have to look into the matter one of these days, maybe send a note to tech support.

• Thanks for your feedback everyone! I'm going to chalk this up as Hexagon being glitchy. I will mark this as resolved BUT if anyone has any further insight feel free to share!