DAZ Studio Pro BETA - version 4.6.3.29!

Comments

• DAZ_cjonesDAZ_cjones Posts: 637
    edited May 2014

ruekaka said:
    b)
    Is it possible to change the user name and password, and if yes, how?

Oops, forgot to answer that above. :)

You can change a PostgreSQL user password fairly easily using pgAdmin or from the command line, as long as you can already connect to the database.

The screenshots attached show where to do it in pgAdmin.

This is how you do it from the command line (on OSX):

$ /Applications/DAZ\ 3D/PostgreSQL\ CMS/bin/psql -U dzcms -p 17237 -h 127.0.0.1 -d Content
    psql (9.3.4)
    Type "help" for help.

Content=# \password dzcms
    Enter new password: 
    Enter it again:
    Content=# \quit

Hopefully that helps. :)

Currently Studio/DIM uses the dzcms user and sends no password, so changing the user will break the current CMS. If you set a password you would need to setup the PostgreSQL mechanism to automatically look for that password as Studio does not send it in the connection string.

A future release may provided the ability to provide an arbitrary connection string, but this version does not.

Post edited by DAZ_cjones on
  • starionwolfstarionwolf Posts: 3,666
    edited May 2014

Did Daz change the icons in Studio 4.6.2.120? The icons in the menu look different in 4.6.2.120 compared to 4.6.1.xxx. Anyone else notice? Just wondering.

edit: oops, wrong thread. I meant to click on the other thread.

Post edited by starionwolf on
  • Justin CliftJustin Clift Posts: 8
    edited December 1969

Currently Studio/DIM uses the dzcms user and sends no password, so changing the user will break the current CMS.

Yes and no. PostgreSQL is configured by DAZ 3D to trust all localhost users without authenticating, so the password validity isn't checked.

eg So changing the password in this instance doesn't break the DAZ <-> CMS connectivity

Not just saying this theoretically, I tested before posting to make sure. ;-)

edited December 1969

Currently Studio/DIM uses the dzcms user and sends no password, so changing the user will break the current CMS.

Yes and no. PostgreSQL is configured by DAZ 3D to trust all localhost users without authenticating, so the password validity isn't checked.

eg So changing the password in this instance doesn't break the DAZ <-> CMS connectivity

Not just saying this theoretically, I tested before posting to make sure. ;-)

Yes, I guess what I said was too simple a statement. A better statement is that if you make the password required for local users (ie add a password to dzcms and set PostgreSQL to require password for authentication) then it would brake connectivity as neither DIM nor Studio provide a password.

• Justin CliftJustin Clift Posts: 8
    edited December 1969

ruekaka said:
    I tried to install the PG based CMS on a test machine to find out if it will work with the already installed PG version without problems, but DIM throws an error. (see attached screenshot).

Interesting. Just tried this out with the 32-bit version of the PG CMS (in 64-bit Win7 VM). Seems to have installed ok.

In your screenshot, the "Settings" dialog has a "Show Log..." button in the very bottom left. Is there anything relevant showing up in there?

At a complete guess, maybe the "E:" path (as shown in screenshot) is confusing it?

4)
    Are there any specific settings in the pg_hba.conf/postgresql.conf?

This might help:

http://justinclift.fedorapeople.org/daz3d/

They're the .conf files created by DAZ 3D for the 32-bit PG CMS above.
    (tried attaching them here as files, but the forum software didn't like them)

• ruekakaruekaka Posts: 346
    edited December 1969

Wow, thanks a lot for the detailed answers!

I was searching the hba.conf file on the wrong place, but found it in the meantime.

I have to apologize that I was not precise enough with my second question.
    What I was after is how to configure DAZ once the password has been changed (and made required) what is answered by cjones, thanks.

In the meantime I found also the solution for the problem with DIM.
    The error message was a bit misleading. The problem could not be solved with the Application tab but with the "xx bit Software:" setting in the Installation tab.

Thanks again for all the infos.

• ChuckdozerChuckdozer Posts: 453
    edited December 1969

Didn't have time to read through all the posts, so please excuse if this has been mentioned before ;) I've found that the new Beta does not seem to recognize HDR images at all. Is anyone else having that trouble?

• RenpatsuRenpatsu Posts: 828
    edited December 1969

One thing I noticed, I desperately need a way to disallow DIM to fill the database - preferably by a switch in DIM. Since I categorise on my own, the categorisation DIM does is just horrid and it takes more time to re-categorise from the DIM categories versus "Default" -> "Unassigned". With the Valentina DB I could simply use "Stop DAZ Content Management Service" before installation with DIM, but this won't work with PostgreSQL. So, please, do a switch in DIM to not let DIM fill PostgreSQL.

edited December 1969

Renpatsu said:
    One thing I noticed, I desperately need a way to disallow DIM to fill the database - preferably by a switch in DIM. Since I categorise on my own, the categorisation DIM does is just horrid and it takes more time to re-categorise from the DIM categories versus "Default" -> "Unassigned". With the Valentina DB I could simply use "Stop DAZ Content Management Service" before installation with DIM, but this won't work with PostgreSQL. So, please, do a switch in DIM to not let DIM fill PostgreSQL.

Categories is only a small piece of the data that gets entered in the database when DIM installs content or we import meta-data. I suggest letting DIM install the full meta-data and then modify the categories. If you want them in Unassigned you can delete the categories created by default install or delete the reference from those categories and then run "Scan Know Directories for Files..." in the Content Library option menu have them added to Unassigned.

• Male-M3diaMale-M3dia Posts: 3,581
    edited December 1969

I installed the beta, and so far I'm not having much of a problem with except when applying ubersurface and uberhair to items... applying it removes the textures from the item or hair even with the control key pressed. Was there an update to this as well?

• RenpatsuRenpatsu Posts: 828
    edited May 2014

Renpatsu said:

Categories is only a small piece of the data that gets entered in the database when DIM installs content or we import meta-data. I suggest letting DIM install the full meta-data and then modify the categories. If you want them in Unassigned you can delete the categories created by default install or delete the reference from those categories and then run "Scan Know Directories for Files..." in the Content Library option menu have them added to Unassigned.

It is not really the size of the data, but that DIM assigns them to categories which are (in my view) highly inefficient for re-assignment. Deleting the data is a workaround and so is using pg_ctl with the stop command after DIM has been started. But those are just "workarounds". The automatic database filling should (IMHO) be optional as categorisation is a very personal thing after all. I created a feature request for that and hope this will enter DIM eventually.

Post edited by Renpatsu on
  • donalddavisdonalddavis Posts: 95
    edited December 1969

The new changes are great. The new content manager seems much faster and more stable.

The only issue I have are related to any Genesis 2 morphs, both male and female, they either do not appear in the parameters tab at all or they have no effect on the mesh. I have reimported the meta data, reinstalled all the associated figures and morphs without success.

I have Aging Morphs 2 for Genesis 2, Genesis 2 Male and Female Body morphs, and the shape shift bundle.

Thanks,

• donewsdonews Posts: 51
    edited December 1969

Hello. I read with interest all that thread.

I use Categories on DAZ and I am very afraid to loose them. So i save them by copying the \database directory on a separate logical drive. I installed also DAZ on an external drive because the hard drive of my computer is too small

I have some question about the new way to manage CMS:

- How to save PostgreeSQL databases ?

- Could PostgreeSQL be installed on an external drive ?

I'm sure PostgreeSQL is a better way to manage database but we need a good saving strategy to avoid loosing all our work if we need to format our C:\ drive after a viruses infection or a disk crash.

So I think a special note on documentation about saving SQL database could be very useful.

TIA

• ruekakaruekaka Posts: 346
    edited December 1969

How to save PostgreeSQL databases ?

The easiest way to do this is using PgAdmin and use the save functionality.

If the database is not running you can make also a copy of the folder where the database files are stored.
    (on windows: C:\Users\xxx\AppData\Roaming\DAZ 3D\cms\ContentCluster

Or you can use pg_dump,exe and pg_restore.exe direct.

edited December 1969

donews said:

- Could PostgreeSQL be installed on an external drive ?

TIA

Yes you can set the Cluster (where the PostgreSQL files are stored) to any location you like. I would also point out that Studio has an export/import user data option that you can use to write out your categorization. You can also do as the previous poster suggested and use PostgreSQL utilities to create backups.

• srieschsriesch Posts: 4,241
    edited December 1969

donews said:

- How to save PostgreeSQL databases ?

double-check this to make sure I'm not missing any steps (I haven't tried it on a clean system yet, but it seems to be working to transfer between two PCs), but I think all you need to do is this:

DAZ STUDIO DIRECTORY MAPPING BACKUP:
    In the Content Library tab, click on the menu in the upper corner and select Content Directory Manager.
    Click on the text "Current Directories".
    Click the Copy button, wait a long time for it to complete, click on the text (not the radio button) of the new copy and press the Rename button and rename it to something (I just called it "backup"), press enter to save the new name, then press Accept.
    DAZ STUDIO DATABASE BACKUP:
    From the Content Library pane's menu icon, select “Content DB Maintenance” > "export user data". This creates a support folder with file UserData_1.dsx in the first mapped native DS content folder (aka Runtime:support). back up this file.
    Go to the application data folder (
    Windows XP: "C:\Documents and Settings\\Application Data\DAZ 3D\Studio4"
    Windows 7: "C:\Users\\AppData\Roaming\DAZ 3D\Studio4"),
    and locate and back up ContentDirectoryManager.dsx .

Then to use your backups:
    Copy the backed-up ContentDirectoryManager.dsx into the application data folder(s) (typically the public release's folder "Studio4"):
    XP: "C:\Documents and Settings\Application Data\DAZ 3D\Studio4"
    Windows 7: "C:\Users\\AppData\Roaming\DAZ 3D\Studio4")
    If this is not a fresh install, overwrite any existing ContentDirectoryManager.dsx .
    Copy the backed-up UserData_1.dsx into the correct spot within the first mapped native DS content folder (aka Runtime:support) which is currently "C:\sean\program use only\DAZ Studio\runtime\Support".

Restore directory mappings: in DAZ Studio (of course you might want to also be doing other things, this is just the part to get your database and content mappings restored):
    In the Content Library tab, click on the menu in the upper corner and select Content Directory Manager.
    Select the "backup" radio button and press Accept. It will take a short while, and will replace the values in "Current Directories" content set with the values in the selected backup set.
    Go back into the Content Directory Manager, click on the text of "backup" (NOT the radio button) and press the Remove button. Press Accept.
    Import database:
    From The Content Library pane's menu icon, select "Content DB Maintenance" > "Re-Import Metadata...". Press Accept.
    TODO sometimes I also needed to do "Consolidate file references" followed by "Scan known directories for files" followed by a right-click and selecting Refresh from the mouse menu to eliminate duplicates that appeared in unassigned.

• MistaraMistara Posts: 38,675
    edited December 1969

this is the version that will include the camera helper rule of thirds?

how daz soon d'you think it will be a release?

Thanks. Keep up the good work :)

• SpyroRueSpyroRue Posts: 5,020
    edited December 1969

Ive been playing some with the duplicate feature, very handy, Ive been looking forward to the arrival of that option in DS. Seems to work beautifully, no need to merge scenes and can be so selective of what is duplicated.

I noticed, however, that the specific surface settings of a duplicated model are mixing up, and no longer structured in the usual order of the shader it belongs too. It is particularly obvious in AoA SSS by selecting the original characters surface and then selecting the duplicate character surface. This isn't the case when merging the scene with itself, the settings all remain in the order of the shader.

A friend of mine suggested it is possibly a safeguard to ensure surface settings values on "OriginalCharacter", when changed, do not alter the "DuplicateCharacter's" surfaces. In case it is an unforeseen bug, I thought Id mention it here.

• donalddavisdonalddavis Posts: 95
    edited December 1969

aeternali said:
    The new changes are great. The new content manager seems much faster and more stable.

The only issue I have are related to any Genesis 2 morphs, both male and female, they either do not appear in the parameters tab at all or they have no effect on the mesh. I have reimported the meta data, reinstalled all the associated figures and morphs without success.

I have Aging Morphs 2 for Genesis 2, Genesis 2 Male and Female Body morphs, and the shape shift bundle.

Thanks,

Anyone have any idea on what the root cause of this would be?

• ErdehelErdehel Posts: 386
    edited December 1969

I installed the beta, and so far I'm not having much of a problem with except when applying ubersurface and uberhair to items... applying it removes the textures from the item or hair even with the control key pressed. Was there an update to this as well?

Same problem here! I uninstalled and reinstalled both that didn't solve the problem.

edited December 1969

Erdehel said:

Same problem here! I uninstalled and reinstalled both that didn't solve the problem.

I installed uberhair and ubershader 2 installers to the public build directory and that fixed the issue.

edited December 1969

aeternali said:
    aeternali said:

Thanks,

Anyone have any idea on what the root cause of this would be?

If I was to hazard a guess it may mean you don't have the same directories mapped in the beta as you do in the release.

edited December 1969

Erdehel said:

I installed uberhair and ubershader 2 installers to the public build directory and that fixed the issue.

That's not exactly what I call a 'clean' install. But anyway thanks it worked :)

• namffuaknamffuak Posts: 4,040
    edited December 1969

Erdehel said:
    Erdehel said:

That's not exactly what I call a 'clean' install. But anyway thanks it worked :)

The beta and the release versions install into different folders. The AoA and Uber lights are true shaders and install into the shader folder under the product name (DAZStudio4\Shaders or DAZStudio4 Pubic Build\Shaders). The 'fix' is as described - install the beta, then un-install/re-install the shaders.

edited December 1969

namffuak said:
    The 'fix' is as described - install the beta, then un-install/re-install the shaders.

That's also what I did... In the end I had to download these shaders manually and tell them to install in the beta program folder. This is not a windows standard install procedure, that's all I am saying.

edited December 1969

Erdehel said:
    namffuak said:
    The 'fix' is as described - install the beta, then un-install/re-install the shaders.

That's also what I did... In the end I had to download these shaders manually and tell them to install in the beta program folder. This is not a windows standard install procedure, that's all I am saying.

Well they are external to the actual program so it understand the additional installation.

• Kismet2012Kismet2012 Posts: 4,252
    edited December 1969

I am having an issue with a new product by FWArt & Fisty. I already posted in their thread and was advised to post here since this seems to be a DS Pro Beta problem.

Two of the pearls on the pearl necklace in FW Joanie seems to get partially stuck at the default location when the figure is moved.

This does not happen in DS 4.6 Pro.

Any ideas?

Joanies_Necklace_2.jpg
    700 x 910 - 258K
    Joanies_Pearl_Neckalce.jpg
    1060 x 1500 - 534K
  • Lissa_xyzLissa_xyz Posts: 6,116
    edited May 2014

-removed-

Post edited by Lissa_xyz on
  • JaderailJaderail Posts: 0
    edited December 1969

Well piddle, I sat down and decided to start using the beta for more than just redoing some of my older scene files and testing the new content I bought and the new GET. So to be clear all I have done until now was play in the Beta to test the features I use most of the time. Today I sat down to start pushing it hard to see what it can do and if it does better or about the same or possibly just fails. Well so far no fails I'm happy to report, but I just now noticed what others have before me. The Uber errors and AoA Advanced lights errors. Please tell me it is not one Version of DAZ Studio or the other for those. And if they can work in Both versions how do I do that?

If not could I please get the Info on moving everything that will need moved to the Beta. I find it stable and if I need to pick one version to work in at this time I prefer the Beta. I could go back and read all the posts again to get the info but if anyone can supply it now in one post I would really appreciate it. Remember full use of Both if possible, if not Just the Beta and fix anything others have found that needs moved/setup in the Beta.

Thank you much before hand.

• fixmypcmikefixmypcmike Posts: 19,565
    edited December 1969

Jaderail said:
    Well piddle, I sat down and decided to start using the beta for more than just redoing some of my older scene files and testing the new content I bought and the new GET. So to be clear all I have done until now was play in the Beta to test the features I use most of the time. Today I sat down to start pushing it hard to see what it can do and if it does better or about the same or possibly just fails. Well so far no fails I'm happy to report, but I just now noticed what others have before me. The Uber errors and AoA Advanced lights errors. Please tell me it is not one Version of DAZ Studio or the other for those. And if they can work in Both versions how do I do that?

If not could I please get the Info on moving everything that will need moved to the Beta. I find it stable and if I need to pick one version to work in at this time I prefer the Beta. I could go back and read all the posts again to get the info but if anyone can supply it now in one post I would really appreciate it. Remember full use of Both if possible, if not Just the Beta and fix anything others have found that needs moved/setup in the Beta.

Thank you much before hand.

You may need to uninstall and reinstall those plugins if you installed them before you had a Beta on that machine.