Oh yea. Octane for Carrara

Comments

• cdordonicdordoni Posts: 583
    edited December 1969

This Quadro/GeForce issue is bordering on the ridiculous now. If its true that a Quadro will not give you the same performance as a GeForce card for some things, NVidia is basically saying to the customer, you have bought out most expensive product, so I guess you are rich enough to cough up the extra $$$ for the less expensive card in addition to the one you already purchased.

These Quadro/GeForce cards are identical. The only difference is the testing process on the card. The cards with better benchmarks get labeled Quadro, and the switch in the protected area in the card bios gets set on "Quadro".

If you are buying cards second hand, or in any way where the original warranty no longer applies, it possible to reset the card to be a GeForce or a Quadro, whichever you want. This of course voids the warranty but saves you from having to install an identical card .

Please don't take my word for this, there is ample documentation available so I encourage you to do your own research. Buyer beware.

edited December 1969

I should add that this switch in the bios tuns off/on certain functionality related to the card driver, so essentially the card is a dongle for the driver software.

• Sci Fi FunkSci Fi Funk Posts: 1,197
    edited December 1969

cdordoni said:
    I should add that this switch in the bios tuns off/on certain functionality related to the card driver, so essentially the card is a dongle for the driver software.

Impressive knowledge there. I wonder how you learned that. To even think of it is pretty smart.

In other news, I'm glad to report that I'm the other side of upgrade tension.

Now running 2 x G/cards with Octane. a GTX 780Ti and a GTX 760. I am rendering 3.5 times faster than just the GTX 760 (the previous set up).

I can confirm it just adds in the cuda cores at no apparent loss of speed than a single card machine.

All this thanks to the wonders of Ebay. I'm now pondering do I really need to keep selling to raise cash for another GTX 780Ti (I'd have to swap out the GTX 760). They are very expensive, It would give a 50% increase in rendering speed from the current rig.

Just info in case anyone else is thinking of treading this path.

edited December 1969

I did not actually think of it myself, and the work and testing was done by many others. I was interested to find out how gaming cards and high end "CAD" cards were different. Why do the high end cards cost so much I wondered?

When I learned the cards are the same except for being sorted into categories based on the benchmark testing of the card, I thought OK, well I can pay more and get a more reliable, or higher performance card, IF I choose.

Unfortunately the story does not end there.

Developers of CAD software have implemented certain functionality that only works on a high end card. If you don't have the more expensive card, the functionality is turned off.

Basically these functions are the same as what you would expect from a gaming card: real-time, realistic, interactive 3d. Which is what you get when you use the gaming cards with games.

So why does my gaming card not do the same thing in CAD software?

edited December 1969

I don't know, way over my head. I'm just glad to have arrived at a GTX 780ti. Speed = choices.

edited May 2014

The GPU performance of gaming cards actually exceeds the more expensive "CAD" specific cards. Which is perfect for Octane, or any other applications that use GPU.

So, if you use CAD apps like SolidWorks, and need to do rendering, you need to get TWO "different" cards.

I have not checked up on this recently but I would speculate that there are people who have figured out how reset the card for either application without having to flash the bios every time you want to switch.

Post edited by cdordoni on
  • DartanbeckDartanbeck Posts: 21,219
    edited December 1969

That's crazy. I've heard this before regarding GeForce/Quadro and the switches in CAD softies... makes me glad I don't need to CAD. The whole thing seems such a pile o' crap. I don't actually game either. I might just have to buy one sometime.

edited May 2014

That's crazy. I've heard this before regarding GeForce/Quadro and the switches in CAD softies... makes me glad I don't need to CAD. The whole thing seems such a pile o' crap. I don't actually game either. I might just have to buy one sometime.

Yeah, I accepted the "what the market will bear" BS when I leaned about this a few years back, since its prevalent in so many places.

OK, so if Nvidia or ATI can get $2,000 - 4,000 per card from a corporation, why not?

The thing that REALLY grabs my A$$ now is that the gaming card is actually better for GPU rendering.

Post edited by cdordoni on
    edited December 1969

OK, I am just a tad obsessed about this card thing ... I'm done now :)

edited December 1969

I'm glad you've brought it up. I recall hearing something like that a while ago... it's just good stuff to know - especially for those of us with no interest in getting into CAD. Personally, I'm grateful that you jumped on the card thing. I hope it broke in half, or even more pieces, as long as you didn't buy it yet! :ahhh:

edited December 1969

For Tech heads.

My experiences and decisions in upgrading to a 2 GPU machine. Hope my findings are useful for you.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l3z79g7aQlw

• argus1000argus1000 Posts: 701
    edited December 1969

For Tech heads.My experiences and decisions in upgrading to a 2 GPU machine. Hope my findings are useful for you.

They are useful. When I get access to some money in August, I'm going for two GTX 780. No need to be tightwad about it. If that's what it takes, then that's what it takes.

edited December 1969

argus1000 said:

They are useful. When I get access to some money in August, I'm going for two GTX 780. No need to be tightwad about it. If that's what it takes, then that's what it takes.

If you can afford then congrats. Fast = lighting choices.

edited May 2014

Please can someone advise me here.

I think my shiny new GTX 780 Ti, which I ebayed like a nutter for is duff. I'm hoping it's my lack of knowledge somehow.

It will not get anywhere near the stock temperature of 82-83 degrees. It should be capable of maxing out in the low 90s.

The highest it got to was 78.

It will generally crash as soon as it goes above 73.

The longest I've been able to use the card is 50 minutes at 70.

Clearly I can't go on like this. I need stability and runnign at lower temps means sacrificing performance (about 10 percent imho).

My other card a GTX 760 runs in the same machine for hours. I've run it for 24 hours no problem for example.

I've been using OC GURU II to limit the temperature and set a custom fan setting (makes a lot of noise at 90%!), but this only slows down the inevitable.

EDIT the motherboard is an ASUS P8Z77-V LX, which is PCI-e 3.0 ready and in independent tests 95% compatible with the GTX 780 Ti (this is a good score btw).
    Memory is Corsair, PSU is corsair AX860 - easilty enough juice.

As I say - it runs the GTX 760 no probs.

Post edited by Sci Fi Funk on
  • ProPoseProPose Posts: 520
    edited December 1969

argus1000 said:

Just wondering what kind of power supply is required to run 2 gtx780s

edited December 1969

ProPose said:
    argus1000 said:

My Corsair AX 860 should be ample imho, but Do your own research!

edited December 1969

Please can someone advise me here.
    I think my shiny new GTX 780 Ti, which I ebayed like a nutter for is duff. I'm hoping it's my lack of knowledge somehow.

I'm sorry about your misadventures, but I can't advise you as I don't own a GTX 780 (not yet anyway). But did you buy this card new? Do they provide you with a guarantee on ebay? I know I wouldn't buy any card from ebay, only from a responsible distributor like Nextegg or Tigerdirect, or my own reliable store here in Ottawa, with an included guarantee.
    edited May 2014

ProPose said:

It would take a half of the output of the new electric hydro-power facility here in the Northwest territories of Canada. Each time I would fire up my two GTX 780 cards, the lights would dim halfway across the cities all over the land. But I know my compatriots wouldn't complain, because they know argus1000 is using his two new GTX 780s and it is all for the sake of art! ;-) (yeah right)

Post edited by argus1000 on
    edited December 1969

Bought new from a shop in my country (via mail order).

• ProPoseProPose Posts: 520
    edited December 1969

ProPose said:
    argus1000 said:

My Corsair AX 860 should be ample imho, but Do your own research!

The reason I mentioned it is that I am considering upgrading to the 780 from my lowly 550. Minimum recommended power requirement for the 780 is 600W, which I think is fine for my 850W PS, I'm just not sure about running 2 gtx780's on that configuration. I may need to upgrade the PS as well.

edited December 1969

ProPose said:

The reason I mentioned it is that I am considering upgrading to the 780 from my lowly 550. Minimum recommended power requirement for the 780 is 600W, which I think is fine for my 850W PS, I'm just not sure about running 2 gtx780's on that configuration. I may need to upgrade the PS as well.

I don't think you will unless you have a load of other cards etc drawing power. If you check around the net the cards themselves draw a lot less than the 600. I think it's somewhere around 220 per card, but I'm going on memory. Someone will correct me with the actual figure I'm sure.

edited December 1969

ProPose said:

My ATI card of a lower grade than that recommended to NOT use adapters to run the power to the card. My Corsair came with cords for both, if I were to run the two GTX 780s.
    Myself, I would certainly upgrade from a 550 if I was upgrading to the two, high end cards. They're expensive and using power adapters will likely void the warranty. Warranty or no... who wants to get power spikes which could do other damage?
    But that's just me ;)
  • 0oseven0oseven Posts: 626
    edited December 1969

No comments on the Octane forum soj ust wondering if there is any word when this might be available ?
    How's the beta testing going?

• DustRiderDustRider Posts: 2,691
    edited December 1969

For anyone interested, OctaneRender 2 has been released! There are a lot of great improvements in this version.

More info can be found here:
    http://render.otoy.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=40378

Some of the new features include:
    - Displacement Mapping
    - Motion Blur
    - Dynamic Hair Support
    - Subdivision Surfaces
    - Render Region
    - Network Rendering

• PhilWPhilW Posts: 5,139
    edited December 1969

You beat me to it - some great looking enhancements!

• Orion_UkOrion_Uk Posts: 0
    edited December 1969

No wonder they call you DustRider, maybe we should change our names to DustEater eh Philw :P

Seems were are behind the horse (by a nose) with a mouth full of dust on this one eh PhilW LOL :D

• IamArtistXIamArtistX Posts: 119
    edited December 1969

No news still as to when the Carrara plugin will be ready :(

edited December 1969

Orion_Uk said:
    No wonder they call you DustRider, maybe we should change our names to DustEater eh Philw :P

Seems were are behind the horse (by a nose) with a mouth full of dust on this one eh PhilW LOL :D

lol!! Actually, Face_Off beat us all (posted in the Poser forum at Rendo), his post beat my email notification from Otoy by a good 3 hours :ohh:
    edited December 1969

No news still as to when the Carrara plugin will be ready :(

No news yet as far as I know, other than I would guess that since Octane 2 is out, the Carrara plugin will be for Octane 2, which will be very nice for new users (old users too, it just adds a little extra cost for the upgrade)!!

As a side note, there is no word yet about when the 2.0 version of the DS plugin will be available :down: But the 2.0 Plugin for Poser was available yesterday!

• Jay_NOLAJay_NOLA Posts: 1,145
    edited June 2014

How is the render speed of 2.0 compared to the previous version?

I saw a couple of people complaining about the 2.0 release with regards to render speed from the older version and was wondering if anyone knew. or if anyone had tested this, and also knew if the other complaint about 2.0 requiring a more powerful GPU was true.

Also has OTOY said how much the plugins will cost to upgrade? All I saw was that you get one upgraded for free when you upgrade to 2.0 currently but no mention on how much it will be to upgrade any others.

Post edited by Jay_NOLA on