Carrara 9 ?

Please Daz, don't give up on Carrara? Why not build hexagon into carrara to replace Carrara modeling tools so you can duplicate code? Have a dedicated UV editting room. Although Carrara is getting on, with a little tweaking, speeding up rendering, landscapes that can create over hangs and making it upto date with latest Windows updates, it would still hold it's own, even against some pro 3d progs! After Covid, a lot of people are gonna be home and a cheap 3d suite around the $65 mark would be very attempting. I tried Blender recently and compared to Carrara it's still a steep learning curve. Tried Terregen too but think you need a degree to understand it, lol! Carrara is simple and intuative yet can produce professional results and is Heaven sent for those of us who want to create our own thing. PLEASE, PLEASE, PLEASE ! ? ! ? ! ?

Comments

• also would take a lot less work to bridge Genesis 3 & 8 to it!

they just need some nodes renamed to match the bones and Blended weight mapping 

it could be scripted in DAZ Studio for the figures and clothing instead of us having to do it manually 

• MistaraMistara Posts: 38,675

i could be happy with a carrara weightmapped v4 and m4.  the phong tesselation plug in did a lottt for m4. to use his maps.

i'm nor particularly enamored of any of the g8 characters.  i feel like i'm forcing myself to like the brute. g1 david and g2 gianni are sufficiently handsome.  i like the liquid rust m4 guys.  the ones i liked best didnt have a genesis rehash.  M4 derek and m4 dane.  g1 Leon of the night yumma.  a drow or khajit would be nice.

the one thing i'd really like for carrara is to be able to fix poke thru,  the vert manipulation tool disappears when the animate butron is active to show the model in posed mode.  rediculous.  it was nice of fenric to unhide the duplicate menu command for figures.

PhongTessellation_win64.zip

PhongTessellationOSX64.zip

Sparrowhawke3D Plugins

Sparrowhawke3D The Laboratory

Fluidos - Plug-in - ShareCG  dunno ehrtr i saved the fluidos ii link

and all those lovely physics tools.  never did find how to reproduce the sphere to dust.  and all the lovely animation tools.  the motion line plugin was a lot of fun.

Sphere To Dust in Carrara - YouTube

• It has been over 5 years now. I am sure they gave up years ago. Plus in todays subscription base software would carrara survive? Only if DAZ would charge $12.99 monthy for it.

• DartanbeckDartanbeck Posts: 21,103

Yes! Carrara Plugins help to turn Carrara 8.5 into Carrara 9ish! ;)

I'm still blown away that these fine folks have given us this enormous upgrade to our beloved Carrara for Free!!! 

I do agree with the author of this thread. I think it would be utterly silly for Daz 3D to not know what a marvelous software package they have on their hands! Being forever the optimist, I never believed that they did give up entirely, just take a break for a while. 

Of course, we can't expect them to keep the price the same after an update. At least let them make some coin on this incredible suite of 3D excellence!

• I mainly use Carrara for illustration and don't use Daz figures but, can see people being well pleased with being able to use G3 and G8 figures :) My carrara no longer allows 3d painting or modeling within the scene window. Seemed to have coincided with a Windows update. I checked the Extensions folder and nothing greyed out or seems missing so assume it's a Windows issue, doh ! Everyone makes good points and agree that we owe a dept to the pluggin creators :)

edited September 2020

did i miss anything new for carrara ?  planets?  i in the market for an ocean planet. smiley

seeing the dried up earth on star blazers was very horrifyingcrying

Post edited by Mistara on

its like daz doesnt want my money.

• SileneUKSileneUK Posts: 1,969
    Elnyp said:

I mainly use Carrara for illustration and don't use Daz figures but, can see people being well pleased with being able to use G3 and G8 figures :) My carrara no longer allows 3d painting or modeling within the scene window. Seemed to have coincided with a Windows update. I checked the Extensions folder and nothing greyed out or seems missing so assume it's a Windows issue, doh ! Everyone makes good points and agree that we owe a dept to the pluggin creators :)

Do you mean if you are in the Assembly room and click on eg an object, then click on the wrench tool, you cannot work on its mesh in the Assy room window? You have to go to the Modelling room?  I had a very slow response for this action on W10 until I got rid of some stuff running in the bcg all the time on W10. It's better now and all the Carrara tools are responsive. 

Just tossing that out there....  frown Silene

• standard was missing many functions in the ass room

you sure you installed the right version?

• If Daz would bring a Carrara 9 it would be really great, maybe with Figure Support so that it's possible to use G3 figures directly, it would be great if there would be some options that you could send your Carrara stuff directly to daz if you make an environment or clothes or dynamic hair for example, that dynamic hair will also work in DS.
    I would love to see something like Hairfarm in the next Carrara (http://www.hair-farm.com/) as it is an awesome plugin, too bad that it's just available for 3DS Max.
    The next great thing would be a native GPU render option like Daz have with Iray (maybe this would help to use iray stuff in Carrara) and that you can switch to CPU or GPU or both rendering.

But anyway, there are a lot of great upgrades Carrara could get that also Daz studio would have something out of it but i doubt that the developer from Daz will do anything for Carrara right now, only option i see is they have to sell the rights for Carrara to any other company or developer but the question than is, how will be the compability to any Daz related content?

standard was missing many functions in the ass room

you sure you installed the right version?

...and entered the Pro S/N instead of Standard?

If Daz would bring a Carrara 9 it would be really great, maybe with Figure Support so that it's possible to use G3 figures directly, it would be great if there would be some options that you could send your Carrara stuff directly to daz if you make an environment or clothes or dynamic hair for example, that dynamic hair will also work in DS.
    I would love to see something like Hairfarm in the next Carrara (http://www.hair-farm.com/) as it is an awesome plugin, too bad that it's just available for 3DS Max.
    The next great thing would be a native GPU render option like Daz have with Iray (maybe this would help to use iray stuff in Carrara) and that you can switch to CPU or GPU or both rendering.

But anyway, there are a lot of great upgrades Carrara could get that also Daz studio would have something out of it but i doubt that the developer from Daz will do anything for Carrara right now, only option i see is they have to sell the rights for Carrara to any other company or developer but the question than is, how will be the compability to any Daz related content?

I am always (annoyingly?) optimistic. Afterall, the last huge pile of development on Carrara went on wihout us hearing a word. When we finally heard about it, it was a link to a post in a different forum category than Carrara. I believe it was Diomede who shared it with us.

I truly feel for folks that need Carrara to do something that it doesn't - I really do. For me, however, Carrara is so perfect for what I want a computer for. I'm just having so darned much fun in it! So while there is no update/upgrade available, I don't have to scape up the few hundred dollars to buy it! LOL

Don't get me wrong, however. I truly do want to see Carrara development. Every time Daz 3D releases a new version, I love it so much I simply can't run the previous version anymore. Wouldn't it be cool if they paid a bunch of money to Philemo, Alberto, Sparrowhawke and anyone else who can develop to join the team to make this happen? 

Elnyp said:

I mainly use Carrara for illustration and don't use Daz figures but, can see people being well pleased with being able to use G3 and G8 figures :) My carrara no longer allows 3d painting or modeling within the scene window. Seemed to have coincided with a Windows update. I checked the Extensions folder and nothing greyed out or seems missing so assume it's a Windows issue, doh ! Everyone makes good points and agree that we owe a dept to the pluggin creators :)

Right. Just keeping the code working with modern times is a concern. That reminds me to check my Carrara's 3D Paint and see if it works. It feels like not long ago when it worked quite well, but I want to check anyway. But alas, once I press the Launch button on my render queue, it's some time before I'm at Carrara again!

• Rashad CarterRashad Carter Posts: 1,798
    edited September 2020

I just wish Carrara would not slow to crawl when navigating scenes with a lot of replications and somewhat detailed high polygon counts. I have trees that I;ve modeled that once loaded into Carrara, I can no longer move anything, change the size otr posotion of anything, unl;ess I hide everything inthe scene whioch isnt helpful at all. I have scenes that I can render in the Octane plug in that wont even render in Carrara native. As Vram memory continues to grow I want Carrara to be able to handle these high geometries while still keeping manipulators happy. Don't know how difficult this woudl be to do.

Post edited by Rashad Carter on
  • DesertDudeDesertDude Posts: 1,234

Right. Just keeping the code working with modern times is a concern.

+1 to infinity yes

• DesertDudeDesertDude Posts: 1,234
    edited September 2020

I just wish Carrara would not slow to crawl when navigating scenes with a lot of replications and somewhat detailed high polygon counts. I have trees that I;ve modeled that once loaded into Carrara, I can no longer move anything, change the size otr posotion of anything, unl;ess I hide everything inthe scene whioch isnt helpful at all. I have scenes that I can render in the Octane plug in that wont even render in Carrara native. As Vram memory continues to grow I want Carrara to be able to handle these high geometries while still keeping manipulators happy. Don't know how difficult this woudl be to do.

Hi Rashad Carter, I can't help with anything Octane oriented.
    I'm sure you know this, but, just in case, you can change how geometry is displayed by the Surface Replicator under the General Tab > Surface Replicator > Display. I know it's not ideal, but may help navigating your scenes.

replicator.jpg
    782 x 640 - 53K
    Post edited by DesertDude on
  • It has been over 5 years now. I am sure they gave up years ago. Plus in todays subscription base software would carrara survive? Only if DAZ would charge $12.99 monthy for it.

I totally agree. Except it's over 7 years (last official update is august 2013 - sorry, just nitpicking smiley) .

I remember PhilW saying, in april 2018, that he had a response from Daz concerning an open bug report on Carrara. It said "Carrara is not currently under active development, for any platform. Our current focus is DAZ Studio and the Genesis figure platform. Unfortunately, we have not had the resources for it. I apologize for the inconvenience." 

It seems Daz's development team is a very small one. They tried to work on Hexagon, 2 years ago, but it seems they had to stop even that (BETA version 2.5.2.137 has been released in june 2018 and there has been nothing since). And if they don't have the resources to update a software which is much simpler than Carrara, I let you guess what are the chances they update Carrara.

And 7 years with no update whatsoever is a very long time. Plus the last updates where not major ones. They would almost have to rewrite it from scratch if they wanted to bring it up to nowdays standards.

As far as I am concerned, I have definitely given up all hope when I read what PhilW said and started switching to another software (Modo). I canceled my platinum membership and almost didn't purchase anything from daz since then.

I'm still using Carrara, but less and less. I'm not using daz studio. Not really. Don't like it. I tried from time to time, I never felt at ease with it.

My 2 cents.

• mschackmschack Posts: 337

I would be happy if they just fixed a few things, such as the shader preview window movement controls being so sensitive, or incorporating the uv paint system into the terrain drawing with all the brushes, stuff like that.  But as has been mentioned, if you don't have the original developers who knew what was going on... though now even they probably have forgotten lol.

carrara X

• edited October 2020

As Dartanbeck can tell you I was an avid Carrara user for many, many years. I took a job at a major cellphone manufacturer back in 2011 where I had to teach myself Maya to build concept prototypes. The point being I moved on from Carrara back in 2011 only to return to this community in 2020 (nearly 2021) because I'm doing some character animation work and I needed a fast turn around workflow, which Daz is pretty good for. I could have done this in Maya but I didn't want to bother with custom control rigs and namespaces when dealing with multiple characters in one scene.

Daz Studio just handles this more straight forwardely. Here's my findings as someone who was heavily involved in this community in the distant past, but who is now an "outsider". I hope no one takes offense to this. These are just my observations, obviously not empirical.

I'm just going to flat out say it. Guys, Carrara is a dead application. I think its painfully evident that Daz has no further interest in developing this application. I saw these sorts of same types of requests in 2011 (I use to make them myself) that I'm seeing now in 2020, virtually indentical. It ain't happening friends.

I work in software development in a major tech hub working with major companies you all know very well. Trust me, Daz is making profit off of a old and outdated piece of software. Why would they sink any further investment in this software? The incentive isn't there, just purely on a business stragety level. Developing software is very expensive. The amount of resources needed is insane. Daz isn't a fortune 500.

So if you don't absolutely hate my guts at this point my suggestion to all of you is to continue with the Carrara you have as it is in its final form, or quite honestly move on to something like C4D, Maya or Blender. These three are honestly more powerful and more featured/supported than Carrara was or will ever be. Thats just the honest truth.

I'm not saying you have to trash Carrara if you like it and like to still work with it, no harm no foul. I just know its very unlikely to see any new life at this point and I think no amount of wishful thinking is going to change this. I'm actually quite shocked that Daz is even charging good money for it still. Really? I see Daz hasn't changed much in this regard, a bit predatory and slow in terms of a software development cycles as much as they were back in 2009/10/11. They wouldn't do well as a company in the Seattle hub I can tell you this much.

Sorry guys. I really weighed not posting this at all. But in the most friendly way possible I think there is some slipping into a bit of delusion at this point and I hate to see it happen to people I respect.

One thing I did find when I learned Maya is that my knowledge of Carrara really helped give me a head start. Maya looks way more complicated than it actually is. C4D is even easier and Blender hasn't gotten exceedingly easier and very powerful over the last 8 years to the point that its made some pretty significant inroads with the industry. All of them feature modern tech. You guys got viable options, you don't have to be dependent on Daz here. These apps are also delightful and painful as any other.

Imo I think Daz should just strictly focus on making Daz Studio rock solid because I notice there's still some no brainer basic features that still haven't been addressed, which is a bit embarrassing. But hey, it's their business, who am I to tell them how to run it?

Post edited by mhartman.art_53c60a8640 on
  • WendyLuvsCatzWendyLuvsCatz Posts: 37,711

...and my unwanted opinion for the day is you really need to hit return sometimes to create paragraphs

• UnifiedBrainUnifiedBrain Posts: 3,588

...and my unwanted opinion for the day is you really need to hit return sometimes to create paragraphs

Ha!

But when a post is so full of weird bias, elitism, and wrong assumptions, the format wouldn't make much difference.

• StezzaStezza Posts: 7,757

it was painfull trying to read it.. dunno how many lines I skipped and or reread a line.. 

Enter key is your friend angel  wink

• DiomedeDiomede Posts: 15,026
    edited October 2020

Thank you, @mhartman.art_53c60a8640 for expressing your opinion and sharing your experience. 

The regulars on this forum are aware that Daz3D has said they are no longer devoting programmers to improve or maintain Carrara at this time.

If I am on another forum discussing Carrara with a non-regular  suspected of being unaware of that fact, I typically make an announcement.    

Personally, I find Carrara easy to use for many tasks and enjoy using it.  I am likely to continue to do so as long as it works, even though I now also use other programs, including Blender.  

Post edited by Chohole on
  • edited October 2020

Ha!

But when a post is so full of weird bias, elitism, and wrong assumptions, the format wouldn't make much difference.

Stezza said:

it was painfull trying to read it.. dunno how many lines I skipped and or reread a line.. 

Enter key is your friend angel  wink

Yes, I agree very painful. For some reason when I typed this out on my phone, and even though I had paragraphs in my formatting, when I submitted it removed them. I went back and double spaced paragraph breaks and resubmitted. Again, the forum app removed all the hard returns. I've fixed with my PC and all is well. 

In terms of the delusion, each to their own. Again, not prescriptive, just my honest observations having been a hardcore Carrara user in the past and now having been exposed to all kind of various other 3D centric tools out there. In some ways I'm was a victim to my own bias in the past.

I also see that some of the vitriol is still well intact too. Awesome. Obviously my unsoliticed opinions aren't for you. No problem. For those that this reasonates with I invite you to explore all your options. My biggest takeaway is at the end of the day you're trying to create art, not write a white paper for Daz.co. If you can channel your focus on the outcome and not get caught up in the process I think you'll find yourself with more acheiveable outcomes. Its the biggest difference I see between the doers and dreamers. 

Cheers.

• edited October 2020
    Diomede said:

Thank you, @mhartman.art_53c60a8640 for expressing your opinion and sharing your experience. 

The regulars on this forum are aware that Daz3D has said they are no longer devoting programmers to improve or maintain Carrara at this time.

If I am on another forum discussing Carrara with a non-regular  suspected of being unaware of that fact, I typically make an announcement.    

Personally, I find Carrara easy to use for many tasks and enjoy using it.  I am likely to continue to do so as long as it works, even though I now also use other programs, including Blender.  

Yeah, no problem. I'm glad you found it useful in any capacity. I thought I was being pretty clear that if you enjoy Carrara then you enjoy it. No harm, no foul. But expecting Daz to build a Carrara 9 I think at this point is a bit more than wishful thinking. I was operating under the assumption that when somone posts a topic about "Carrara 9" that members of the forum get to chime in with viewpoints and opinions on that topic. I guess according to some, (people that have obviously forgotten me) that's not the case. 

I'm not exactly coming off the street here. Does the attached logo look familiar to anyone? 

Also, look at my 2010 avatar. What do you think that "C" stands for? laugh

carrara_cafe_logo_mh.png
    300 x 166 - 18K

Carrara still suits my needs and budget

and in spite of everything it is still easier to get DAZ content into it than any other application other than DAZ studio

that said I am slowly using DAZ studio more but it is only a content loader and renderer.

I cannot afford Autodesk software and Blender is difficult to use

• UnifiedBrainUnifiedBrain Posts: 3,588
    In terms of the delusion, each to their own. Again, not prescriptive, just my honest observations having been a hardcore Carrara user in the past and now having been exposed to all kind of various other 3D centric tools out there. In some ways I'm was a victim to my own bias in the past.

So sorry that you were a self-induced victim.  But you presume others here to be "victims" as well, which is a huge stretch.

I also see that some of the vitriol is still well intact too. Awesome.

If you viewed my criticism as "vitriol," you obviously never get out of the house.  So, it is OK for you to come into the Carrara forum every 4 or five years, and criticize people for happily continuing to use Carrara, and not expect criticism yourself?

My biggest takeaway is at the end of the day you're trying to create art, not write a white paper for Daz.co.

You are equating people that use Carrara, and find that it works well, with unreserved loyalty to DAZ.  You obviously don't read these forums much. :)

If you can channel your focus on the outcome and not get caught up in the process I think you'll find yourself with more acheiveable outcomes. Its the biggest difference I see between the doers and dreamers. 

Wow.  I wonder if you read that before posting.

edited October 2020

MHartman

I noticed your progress trying to use DAZ content in Maya in the DAZ to Maya forum BTWcheeky

goodluck

I bemoan most of the newer stuff only works in DAZ studio properly but I still find it far easier fixing it for Carrara than iClone, Unreal or Blender

and well Poser just forget about it blush

you choice, just sharing mine and why am sticking with what you see as a sinking ship, still better than climbing on the enemy craft IMO

not saying you didn't have a good relationship with Carrara in the past, but an ex is an ex, no need to badmouth her to her current spouses

Maya is waaaaay out of my league

Post edited by WendyLuvsCatz on
  • DiomedeDiomede Posts: 15,026
    edited October 2020
    Diomede said:

Yeah, no problem. I'm glad you found it useful in any capacity.

I was operating under the assumption that when somone posts a topic about "Carrara 9" that members of the forum get to chime in with viewpoints and opinions on that topic. I guess according to some, (people that have obviously forgotten me) that's not the case. 

I can only speak for myself, but I repeat.

Thank you, @mhartman.art_53c60a8640 for expressing your opinion and sharing your experience.   The regulars on this forum are aware that Daz3D has said they are no longer devoting programmers to improve or maintain Carrara at this time.

In a reply to something quoted from me, please don't suggest that according to some (accompanying my quote), that you don't get to chime in.  I thanked you for chiming in.  As far as I am concerned, your opinion and experience are welcome.  Nor is it appropriate to suggest that I expect Daz to do an update or that I am engaging in any wishful thinking.

Leave me out of it.

Be well.

Post edited by Diomede on