Quick and dumb GPU question

I've been plugging away with my aging laptop's GTX 1050 (with 2GB RAM) for a few years now.
A new / alternate system is not, repeat NOT in the cards. End of line. I gots what I gots.

However, I just came into posession of a EVGA GTX 1060 desktop GPU with 3GB of RAM and have been looking into getting an inexpensive external USB-C enclosure to make use of it.

Will this give me 5GB of RAM for rendering in DAZ? (Assuming everything works and that DAZ will be able to use both GPUs)

If anybody has experience with such a setup, I'd appreciate any war stories.

Thanks!

Comments

• LeanaLeana Posts: 11,026

No, it won't give you 5GB, you'll have 3GB max. VRAM from the 2 video cards can be combined only when you use the latest version of nvlink, which means having two of the 20xx cards (and now probably 30xx cards) which support it.

When you have 2 GPU then for scenes which fit on both cards VRAM DS can use both to render, which means faster renders. If it fits only the card with more VRAM DS will use only that card. 

• Leana said:

No, it won't give you 5GB, you'll have 3GB max. VRAM from the 2 video cards can be combined only when you use the latest version of nvlink, which means having two of the 20xx cards (and now probably 30xx cards) which support it.

When you have 2 GPU then for scenes which fit on both cards VRAM DS can use both to render, which means faster renders. If it fits only the card with more VRAM DS will use only that card. 

Perfect! Just what I wanted to know. Thanks so much. At least 3GB is better than 2GB.

Seems weird to me that the system can natively use more than one GPU but not the memory associated with those GPUs. But I guess multiple GPUs is still kind of an edge case.