Howler - Project Dogwaffle Pro!

Comments

• DartanbeckDartanbeck Posts: 21,103
    edited July 2020

Oops! I thought I was posting this in my Ten Years After thread, where it belongs! Sorry about that. So I moved the post that was originally here over there! LOL

Post edited by Dartanbeck on

I have, however; just started a pretty cool page for PD Howler!!! (At least I think it's a cool start!) wink

New PD Howler page on my website

• I have, however; just started a pretty cool page for PD Howler!!! (At least I think it's a cool start!) wink

New PD Howler page on my website

Very nice! I always have my site in a state of disrepair! I'm never happy with it, so I never finish it! lol. Looking great!

Thanks Tiffanie! heart

I love this!

...and then Dan followed with the same idea but using Orbicles

This is a cool animation done entirely in Howler using PuppyRay, the built-in ray tracer tool. Check out the moving water! Looks great!

• Yes, there are some really cool additions being made to the latest version of Howler. Saving PuppyRay settings, lots of UI cleanup. just some wonderful work.

Yes, there are some really cool additions being made to the latest version of Howler. Saving PuppyRay settings, lots of UI cleanup. just some wonderful work.

I love how passoinate he is! I think he might even code in his sleep? I was perusing the pdhowler YouTube channel, watching stuff I've missed (there's a Lot of videos!!!) and came across that bullet holes one. I love it when he rememers back to working VFX on Starship Troopers, and they needed a way to make bullets holes, but they didn't have an efficient way to do it in LightWave, so he used Project Dogwaffle! 

I feel blessed to be in with all of you genius minds - and that includes you, Tiffanie! Love your work and inspiration!

edited September 2020

If you've ever made an animation from a single image - or no image at all in PD Howler, you know what I mean when I say that it's just a quick 1, 2. 

Well just today I was filming animated Rosie with several robot skeletons attacking her in TheDigiVault's awesome Underside product. Being an animation, I thought it would be really cool if one of the florescent tubes was blinking a bit - but not going all the way dark ever.

Turns out that the tubes use a shared emission map. If you've ever used one of The DigiVault's products, you'll notice how organized everything is - making it super easy to pinpoint what's what when it comes to texture maps. Everything's numbered AND labeled!

So I grabbed the emission map, which was 4K, so I reduced it down a lot, then made it into an animation 10 seconds long (300 frames). Then a made a custom brush to leave the center of the tube mostly bright, but barely as the darkness faded in the each side of its length. Flicker that across the animation and we have an animated texture, much like the one I demonstrate in my video for light gels. So cool!

The thing that I was so excited about is that this animation creation process can be used to control many different lights in the scene using one single animated map! 

I love Project Dogwaffle Howler... I really do! :) I love these DigiVault kits too! Just happy = me! :)

Post edited by Dartanbeck on

(and the timing and effect for each of the lights on that same map can (and should) be entirely different from one another)

Just to clarify that last bit I just said! LOL

• (and the timing and effect for each of the lights on that same map can (and should) be entirely different from one another)

Just to clarify that last bit I just said! LOL

Wow! That is a fantastic tip! You  are wringing out the tiny gems!

And thanks...your genius is shining through, too, no need to even have to mention it! 

Dan Ritchie being a VFX artist is a real inspiration! I keep thinking: what would ILM or Weta Digital do - how would they think this through?

While I don't have the knowledge or resources that those big houses have, I have the tools that our own VFX department, Dan Ritchie, puts into our software! So cool!

Getting used to Project Dogwaffle took a bit of absorbing, since it truly isn't a Photoshop (or anything else) clone, but a totally original digital painter. And Howler is a VFX digital painter! For the longest time, I was happy just painting on my animated renders, makind brushes outof avi or sequenced images, and other fun stuff to get started with, and "Combine with Swap" or "Composite with Swap" were things that I liked in Philip's tutorials, but haven't really used. Now I use it all the time to make anything happen! Magic!

• DiomedeDiomede Posts: 15,026

@Dartanbeck - there is a Commons forum thread on using Daz3D software for animation.  https://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/436057/let-s-talk-about-daz-s-animation-feature#latest

Thanks! :)

This is a single frame from a new animation/simulation test

• Higher Hair Quality and Quantity
    • Cloth Simulation
    • Matching feet to stairs using a wonderful Genesis 2 Female motion by PoserMocap - converted to Genesis 1 - within The DigiVault's awesome The Underside
    • Performed the Color Grading and lighting effects in PD Howler

My Ryzen 7 and GTX 1660 make me happy!

The GTX computes the cloth simulations pretty darned fast.

The Ryzen... well... that baby makes everything just... better. Much Better! :)

Loving the latest changes to Howler! 

• DesertDudeDesertDude Posts: 1,234

This is a single frame from a new animation/simulation test

• Higher Hair Quality and Quantity
    • Cloth Simulation
    • Matching feet to stairs using a wonderful Genesis 2 Female motion by PoserMocap - converted to Genesis 1 - within The DigiVault's awesome The Underside
    • Performed the Color Grading and lighting effects in PD Howler

Beautiful Dartanbeck! Just...top notch work. Cheers
    PD Howler looks like such a cool, fun, unique software to explore. But no version for Mac... cryingcryingcrying

Come on over! We'll order some parts and build you a killer PC!!! ;)

Thanks for the invite Dartanbeck! smiley

Right now everything works. Isn't there a phrase, "if it ain't broke, don't fix it" type of thing?

I have considered it. I have seen the Mac writing on the wall regarding the current version of Carrara....agh, I think you have a thread / post on building a Carrara computer. Believe me, when the time comes I'll be knocking on your virtual door.  smiley Beware cheeky

Don't worry! We won't fix your unbroken Mac, we'll build you a shiny new PC with an 8 or more core Ryzen, a GTX or better grafix card, plenty of RAM... we'll rock this thang!

(all while Rosie cooks us some amazing pie or something!)

Don't worry! We won't fix your unbroken Mac, we'll build you a shiny new PC with an 8 or more core Ryzen, a GTX or better grafix card, plenty of RAM... we'll rock this thang!

(all while Rosie cooks us some amazing pie or something!)

Thanks Dartanbeck!
    Cheers to you and Rosie and family  yes

• hey folks, we are preparing for a webinar coming in 2 weeks, October 4. It'll be on Digital Art Live  and you'll probably find the recordings here later but you may want to take advantage of the special promos. There will be a free section, with a 30% discount, and a paid subscription to see some tutorials on creating an animation like a basejump from the rim of a volcano or abbyss. And some tunnel visions.

Have fun here, join me, perhaps Tiffany and Dan (Ritchie) too.

https://digitalartlive.com/event/power-packed-pd-howler-new-version-showcase/

hey folks, we are preparing for a webinar coming in 2 weeks, October 4. It'll be on Digital Art Live  and you'll probably find the recordings here later but you may want to take advantage of the special promos. There will be a free section, with a 30% discount, and a paid subscription to see some tutorials on creating an animation like a basejump from the rim of a volcano or abbyss. And some tunnel visions.

Have fun here, join me, perhaps Tiffany and Dan (Ritchie) too.

Sweet!!! Thanks for the heads up!

• This is a reminder that the free webinar is this Sunday, Octorber 4th, don't forget to sign up!

• An image I did yesterday, and below is how I did it in PD Howler 2021:
    https://www.artstation.com/artwork/v2QQeO

Jungle Waterfall2.jpg
    1656 x 1024 - 2M
    docx
    docx
    Mini Tut for PD Howler Landscape.docx

This is Amazingly Awesome, Tiffanie!!! 

Bravo!

• Thank you, Dart!

• chickenmanchickenman Posts: 1,202

Very Nice Tiffanie.

• By accident I found out about this PD Howler software, but I am not sure I get it right and if this is the right tool for me to use. In general, I am interested in a tool which helps me building 3D landscapes I have in my head, export them to Daz in full 3D and then build my scenery around it (with some nice HDRI maps for lighting, models, trees, whatever I can think of). Is PD Howler such a software which allows me to do so? What about texturing mountains, grass etc, would you recommend doing it there or to do this in Daz or even somewhere else?

For now, I mainly use TerraDome 3, but this is very limited to how the landscape looks in the end, as it is "just" some morphs I can play around with. I love it so far, but it doesn't give me 100% freedom for landscapes. 

Happy to buy it if it fits into my style of creating art. :)