About to upgrade to 4.12

ACueACue Posts: 114
edited September 2020 in Daz Studio Discussion

I am about to drop the hammer. I've waited all this time to update from 4.11 to 4.12 (public build sitting in my DIM folder) since the BETA release.) I'm still spooked by the earlier comments on 4.12.

Any last-minute advce, warnings, etc?

I have a modest rig: Intel i7-8750H CPU @ 2.20GHz, 2201 Mhz, 6 Cores,  running 16 GB of RAM with an NVIDIA GTX 1070 Max Q card.  My 4.11 version is currently running relatively well, with the odd freeze and and crash, when I overload the card. 

I have backed up 4.11 just in case. I guess I'm waiting for someone to tell me to go ahead and everything will be fine. I updated to the most recent NVIDIA studio drivers. Am I being silly? And will I notice massive or measurable improvements in speed and use of memory? Or should I stick with 4.11?

Any advice would help.

Acue

Post edited by ACue on

Comments

• barbultbarbult Posts: 23,133
    edited September 2020

Stick with 4.11 for your release build. install DS 4.12 public beta to try out 4.12 and see how it works for you. The 4.11 release build and the 4.12 public beta can both be safely installed on your computer at the same time. They do not share preference settings, so after installing 4.12 beta, you will need to set up your preferences for that version. Note: The "Public Build" in DIM is the beta version.

The latest 4.12 (release and beta) does have some timeline bugs that are interfering with people's ability to do animation and animated dForce simulation. If you are interested in animation, 4.12 may not be the right version for you.

Post edited by barbult on
  • ACueACue Posts: 114

Thanks for that advice. I should download and install separately and keep 4.11. I'll try it.

barbult said:

Stick with 4.11 for your release build. install DS 4.12 public beta to try out 4.12 and see how it works for you. The 4.11 release build and the 4.12 public beta can both be safely installed on your computer at the same time. They do not share preference settings, so after installing 4.12 beta, you will need to set up your preferences for that version. Note: The "Public Build" in DIM is the beta version.

The latest 4.12 (release and beta) does have some timeline bugs that are interfering with people's ability to do animation and animated dForce simulation. If you are interested in animation, 4.12 may not be the right version for you.

barbult said:

Should I install from the DIM or download seperately and the DAZ download page?

Install with DIM. Install Daz Studio 4.12 Public Build and the assiciated Public Build plugins. Be careful not to accidently install some Public Build files and some release version files. 

barbult said:

Install with DIM. Install Daz Studio 4.12 Public Build and the assiciated Public Build plugins. Be careful not to accidently install some Public Build files and some release version files. 

Thanks for the wise advice!!

Thanks Happy to report. update to 4.12 complete. Used all your advice. Everything seems to be running smoothly. I am running both versions and running comparisons now. Not 100% sure, but 4.12 seems to be rendering faster.  Thanks again. Keeping fingueres crossed.

yes

By default, 4.12 uses a lot more GPU RAM than 4.11. You may find that scenes that rendered in GPU with 4.11 now fall back to CPU in 4.12. I'm afraid you'll have to slog through the fourm threads to learn about that and any settings changes you can make, if you want 4.12 to behave more like 4.11 in that regard. That extra GPU RMA usage may be part of what makes 4.12 render faster. I think there have been some general improvements in Iray in 4.12, too. The speed improvements you see will depend partly on your graphics card. If 4.12 is working faster for you consistently and not falling back to CPU, don't worry about it. 

barbult said:

yes

By default, 4.12 uses a lot more GPU RAM than 4.11. You may find that scenes that rendered in GPU with 4.11 now fall back to CPU in 4.12. I'm afraid you'll have to slog through the fourm threads to learn about that and any settings changes you can make, if you want 4.12 to behave more like 4.11 in that regard. That extra GPU RMA usage may be part of what makes 4.12 render faster. I think there have been some general improvements in Iray in 4.12, too. The speed improvements you see will depend partly on your graphics card. If 4.12 is working faster for you consistently and not falling back to CPU, don't worry about it. 

Thank you for that extra insight.  I do believe you are correct. II have already noticed rendering falling back to CPU for some of the larger scenes. ! I will keep running both, though. Thank you so much. Am already going through the threads.

• I had to downgrade back to 4.11 because my RTX graphic card renders faster in 4.11 than 4.12.

• 4.12 drops to cpu for me constantly with my 2080 super. I pretty much only use 4.11

4.11 isn't perfect either, sometimes I will have to restart to get it to run properly. But it is better and more stable than 4.12

• KeironKeiron Posts: 411

Daz Studio 4.12 doesn't save morphs to a Keymate time line making the use of Morphs a waste of space for animation

Currently using 4.11 although it says 4.12

• 4.12.1 no longer lets you run multiple instances. That was a pretty disagreeable thing to discover; usually upgrading gets you more functionality.

• LeanaLeana Posts: 11,020

4.12.1 no longer lets you run multiple instances. That was a pretty disagreeable thing to discover; usually upgrading gets you more functionality.

It still does, the way to launch additional instances has changed though.

edited September 2020

Thanks all. Glad I followed the advice to keep both running. I have noticed the fall-off to CPU quite a bit.

I guess we will all eventually migrate to the next one or two iterations of Daz Studio, perhaps taking advantage fof the new GeForce RTX 30 Series Graphics Cards, when  massive, memory-heavy complex scenes will render in second and realistic animations will render in 60 FPS in realtime. 

Wishful thinking perhaps. 

Post edited by ACue on
  • Leana said:

4.12.1 no longer lets you run multiple instances. That was a pretty disagreeable thing to discover; usually upgrading gets you more functionality.

It still does, the way to launch additional instances has changed though.

@Leana Please, how is it done? This is incredibly inconvenient.