Carrara Challenge VIII - Voting thread

13»

Comments

• SileneUKSileneUK Posts: 1,969
    edited December 1969

Congrats to all... it was so interesting to participate with the "big boys" and winning wasn't on my menu, just enjoying the participation and camaraderie which I hope more newbies will try next time!

And we need more women to enter!!! Come on ladies, there's so many talented ones out there and new ones as well!

xx :) SileneUK

• d-j-od-j-o Posts: 345
    edited December 1969

Congrats to everyone!

kashyyyk, have fun with hosting the next challenge! If you need any help or a shoulder to cry on, ;-) I'm sure any of the past hosts will be more than willing to help!

Congrats Varsel and Dartanbeck.

Thanks EP, i just may take up that offer. I do have an idea, I'm just waiting for Daz to ket me know if we can continue this challenge and we'll go from there.

edited April 2014

Double post

Post edited by d-j-o on
  • DartanbeckDartanbeck Posts: 21,223
    edited December 1969

laurenwbr said:

Congrats to all... it was so interesting to participate with the "big boys" and winning wasn't on my menu, just enjoying the participation and camaraderie which I hope more newbies will try next time!

And we need more women to enter!!! Come on ladies, there's so many talented ones out there and new ones as well!

Agreed, but with the exception that you should put winning on the table for you. Truly. Your skills are growing constantly, we all see that... and your imagination is awesome! I always love your renders. Yours was definitely one of the projects I had in my hand when I was deciding.

Thanks to everyone who voted - especially those that voted for me! LOL :ahhh: Okay... being silly.
    I am really flabbergasted that I won anything. I am more in this for the fun and for posting WIP stuff, as I am finding these contest WIP threads to be an invaluable resource of positive, creative energy within Carrara, and its community. What fun. What adventure!

Diomede: Thanks for the encouragement and awesome hostfullness coolisms. Great job on running the show!

Mike, thanks for the wonderful gift! I'm a collector of your fine goods, you know... one day I'll have them all! I shall certainly post some renders of this awesome new bling!

DAZ 3D, thank you for all of your generosity - always. Looking through the prices on stuff to pick out a prize, I realized that I never really see the prices, being a PC Member... I see what I will pay which, as I already knew, is a huge difference! But it's something I tend to take for granted. I truly appreciate how helpful the company is towards anyone's desire to fulfill their 3d realizations... you rock!

Kashyyyk, Stezza, Antara, Varsel, congrats! Feels really awesome when folks vote for your image, doesn't it? For me, the voting is the hard part. Well... creating the ideas and pulling off that final image is tough... but then when it comes to looking at all of these images....
    Everyone else, it must have been a tight call. All images were really cool. One of us should start a thread that showcases all images from these contests, perhaps with links to particularly cool topics from the WIPs...

As I scour through them again, I see other things that catch my eye, and it makes me realize that for me, voting is almost totally dependent upon when I finally take the plunge to do it. It's hard when there are so many interesting considerations to take to mind when shuffling through all of the submissions.

Anyways, I sure enjoyed the journey - getting to that final render - sharing workflows and ideas over the WIP thread... what a blast, and look forward to trying more. It's a really fun way to all grow together.

• DUDUDUDU Posts: 1,945
    edited December 1969

laurenwbr said:

Hello Lauren (Silene),
    I hoped that you would be on the podium and you were there almost!
    Nevertheless exploit this image, it's a composition to be emphasized.
    “Camaraderie” is a French word, it's “friendship" in English, never disavows your origins!;-)
    Congratulation with all!

• AntaraAntara Posts: 444
    edited December 1969

Thank you! And congratulations, kashyyyk, Stezza, Varsel and Dartanbeck! :)

And thank you, diomede64, for doing such an awesome job at hosting this round!
    With an extra thank you from me for the long run of the challenge. :)

I believe the challenges keep getting harder and harder to judge, with so many excellent entries I keep feeling sad that they get left out from the winners list, both when I vote myself and when I see the final count.

I also love the WIP thread spirit. It's one of the most helpful, resourceful and inspirational environments I've ever encountered in forums. I hope we all keep it up in future challenges. And thank you!

laurenwbr said:

I wonder why people keep thinking that I'm a man. :red: Hmmmm.... Is it what I say, or how I say it?... :ohh:
    Anyway.. :blank: I'm just trying to say that you shouldn't feel so alone here :). But I agree with you that there are some amazing and wonderful ladies who use Carrara, but haven't entered the challenges, and I'd also wish to see them participate in the future ones.

• HeadwaxHeadwax Posts: 9,924
    edited December 1969

I wonder why people keep thinking that I’m a man. Hmmmm…. Is it what I say, or how I say it?...

Don't feel bad. People keep thinking that I'm a man too! How do youthink that makes me feel, especially in dress shops and stuff. :)

Hummph!

But seriously.....

Congrats, not just to the winners but to diomede 64 for running such a tight ship, and to mmoir for being such a kind and generous sponsor. :)

Very pleasantly convinced on the quality of Carraraists taste and style after seeing the renders people put together

And heavily interested in what our thoroughly desreving winner kashyyyk comes up with

cheers from here :)

• SileneUKSileneUK Posts: 1,969
    edited December 1969

head wax said:
    I wonder why people keep thinking that I’m a man. Hmmmm…. Is it what I say, or how I say it?...

Don't feel bad. People keep thinking that I'm a man too! How do youthink that makes me feel, especially in dress shops and stuff. :)

Hummph!

But seriously.....

Congrats, not just to the winners but to diomede 64 for running such a tight ship, and to mmoir for being such a kind and generous sponsor. :)

Very pleasantly convinced on the quality of Carraraists taste and style after seeing the renders people put together

And heavily interested in what our thoroughly desreving winner kashyyyk comes up with

cheers from here :)

Oh dear HeadWax and Antara, sorry I assumed...don't know why......, maybe subjects of some of the contests you have entered? Am so happy to stand corrected. You go girls....great art. And yes it's very strong art. I hang head in shame assuming it was "man art".

Have to be gone now for several days to husband's school reunion, so back Monday... it's turned into such a chore with signage and posters and badges with photos of past pupils when they were kids that I just want to work on my art and hang out here. The reunion was easier 4 years ago, feel old and tired this time.

xx :red: Silene

• IndigoJansonIndigoJanson Posts: 1,100
    edited April 2014

Congratulations winners and applause to all entrants. Some great stuff is being done in Carrara. It was fun to see it and have a chance to cast a vote. I'm looking forward to what you all come up with next!

Antara said:

I believe the challenges keep getting harder and harder to judge, with so many excellent entries I keep feeling sad that they get left out from the winners list, both when I vote myself and when I see the final count.

I agree. Would love to be able to vote for all the creativity and enthusiasm that goes into these images, not to mention the hours of work. I'm not (yet) a Carrara user but like the way challenges inspire us and being on the judging side is enjoyable too -- however it's always hard to see deserving work get passed over.

Post edited by IndigoJanson on
    edited December 1969

laurenwbr said:

Oh dear HeadWax and Antara, sorry I assumed...don't know why......,

Don't be sorry to HeadWax! People always assumes that he's a man because he was born a male human, and now he's all grow'd up! Making him... you guessed it... A man! :ahhh:
    Andrew Finney, Artist Optician Extraordinaire!
    edited December 1969

Jindi said:
    Congratulations winners and applause to all entrants. Some great stuff is being done in Carrara. It was fun to see it and have a chance to cast a vote. I'm looking forward to what you all come up with next!

Antara said:

I agree. Would love to be able to vote for all the creativity and enthusiasm that goes into these images, not to mention the hours of work. I'm not (yet) a Carrara user but like the way challenges inspire us and being on the judging side is enjoyable too -- however it's always hard to see deserving work get passed over.The way it works so far, is that the winner must conduct the next test... so the shoe is passed to kashyyyk! I am eager to see what avails as well... but I know it will be fun!

It really is hard to vote, especially when you're in the competition and you go through the WIP process. So I try to leave the WIP process out of my head, and look at all of the pictures... and that's where it gets tough. Some I like because of this, others I like because of that... oh my... check this one out!!! :ahhh:

• DiomedeDiomede Posts: 15,078
    edited December 1969

Jindi said:

Antara said:

I agree. Would love to be able to vote for all the creativity and enthusiasm that goes into these images, not to mention the hours of work. I'm not (yet) a Carrara user but like the way challenges inspire us and being on the judging side is enjoyable too -- however it's always hard to see deserving work get passed over.

Jindi - thank you so much for taking the time to join us. You are welcome any time.

And I think I can speak for everyone when I say that Jindi, Horo, Miss B, and everyone who stopped by for the voting thread are more than welcome to join in on the conversation during the WIP stage. Your perspectives and input would be greatly valued. And if you have Carrara, jump on in.

Along those lines, I want to make sure that I give a hat tip to some people who ended up not submitting a final entry. As Dart pointed out, the WIP thread is much more than just a required preview. There is a real spirit of encouragement and mutual assistance. Someone should gather together a "Tips and Tricks from the Carrara Challenge WIP Threads." All eyes please turn to Dartanbeck. ;-) For example, even though Roygee and 3DAge did not have final entries this time, they did add to the WIP thread. Help wasn't always in the form of preview renders. JayNOLA was out there tipping people off to the airing time/dates of movies related to the theme. PhilW, Garstor, and too many others to list offered encouragement. Chohole provided a sample render! So even if you didn't submit a final render, thanks for still participating in the challenge. You helped make it better.

I'd also like to thank some folks who haven't had the time to enter recent challenges. I really miss Wendy and Sockratease. I mean, how many cows do I have to replicate in a bleeping render to get a dang vote! >:-( No, I bring up Wendy and Sockratease in particular because I could always count on them to approach a theme in a way that I would never have thought of. To me, their humor (in the threads) was a very welcoming characteristic. And their final renders were seriously great. They kept me coming back.

To everyone, and to no one in particular. Great images sometimes don't seem to get the appreciation they deserve, but that is a compliment to the depth of the talent in the Carrara community, not a slight to any particular artist or image.

To the new participants for this challenge, well done one and all. I'd like to second what EP said above. And like SileneUK, I hope more people join in. Note - I do have to curse Totte for getting me addicted to that random-content challenge, but that is because I have no sense of personal responsibility. ;-) I should alert new participants to a real danger. You might win (I did). Then you would have to choose among cool Daz products and host a challenge.

I know we are in good hands with Kashyyyk. I mean, Kashyyyk came up with the metaball whirpool. Loved that. Can't wait to see what the next challenge turns out to be.

• evilproducerevilproducer Posts: 9,040
    edited December 1969

Antara said:

laurenwbr said:

I wonder why people keep thinking that I'm a man. :red: Hmmmm.... Is it what I say, or how I say it?... :ohh:
    Anyway.. :blank: I'm just trying to say that you shouldn't feel so alone here :). But I agree with you that there are some amazing and wonderful ladies who use Carrara, but haven't entered the challenges, and I'd also wish to see them participate in the future ones.

I knew! ;-)

• evilproducerevilproducer Posts: 9,040
    edited December 1969

laurenwbr said:

Oh dear HeadWax and Antara, sorry I assumed...don't know why......,

Don't be sorry to HeadWax! People always assumes that he's a man because he was born a male human, and now he's all grow'd up! Making him... you guessed it... A man! :ahhh:
    Andrew Finney, Artist Optician Extraordinaire!

I think what confused her was the bikini tan lines. Right Andy? ;-P

• AntaraAntara Posts: 444
    edited December 1969

head wax said:

Don't feel bad. People keep thinking that I'm a man too! How do you think that makes me feel, especially in dress shops and stuff. :)

Hummph!

But seriously.....

Andrew, you are wonderful, and I did laugh out loud, but you are not helping! >:( ...
    Now everyone will be even more confused!...

As for dress shops, people don't blink an eye when women are shopping for male clothes. I don't see why the other way around seems strange to people...
    But I hope those side looks don't discourage you, Andrew! Keep shopping in whatever dress shops strike your fancy! :)

edited December 1969

I love buying Rosie dresses in dress shops. I get that reaction too... the people in the shops often call me a big sweetie for being so comfortable in such a place. I prefer to be open and real. Let the rest of society act as they please, talk about me however they like....
    I cut people fresh flowers from my tiny, but massively landscaped city lot. Some folks like it so much they actually added our crummy rental to their list of stops when touring Wisconsin. I love that! I've invented my own little version of a bouquet just for this activity - a cute little hand-held floral bouquet, easily managed while shopping, walking, eating, whatever, until they get a chance to put them in water. People love them! ;)

• GarstorGarstor Posts: 1,411
    edited December 1969

Some folks like it so much they actually added our crummy rental to their list of stops when touring Wisconsin.

Hey, I didn't see this place when I was in Wisconsin! ;)

edited December 1969

Garstor said:
    Some folks like it so much they actually added our crummy rental to their list of stops when touring Wisconsin.

Hey, I didn't see this place when I was in Wisconsin! ;)Not my fault you had to fly off so soon! Next time I'll have to kidnap the lot of you!

• GarstorGarstor Posts: 1,411
    edited December 1969

Garstor said:

Hey, I didn't see this place when I was in Wisconsin! ;)

Not my fault you had to fly off so soon! Next time I'll have to kidnap the lot of you!

Alright everyone...it's documented on the Intertubes! Alert the FBI if evilproducer or myself disappear mysteriously.

edited December 1969

The way it works so far, is that the winner must conduct the next test... so the shoe is passed to kashyyyk! I am eager to see what avails as well... but I know it will be fun!

It really is hard to vote, especially when you're in the competition and you go through the WIP process. So I try to leave the WIP process out of my head, and look at all of the pictures... and that's where it gets tough. Some I like because of this, others I like because of that... oh my... check this one out!!! :ahhh:

I'm waiting for a response from Daz that we can continue this. I do have an idea, I'll ask a couple veterans about it first to see if it sounds like a fun idea. Then I'll have to also find a Carrara store sponsor. I'll post info as I get it.

• HeadwaxHeadwax Posts: 9,924
    edited December 1969

thanks evil and antara :) knew you'd understand

oh oh Dart, looks like our secret is out!!! ;)
    thats means we have to stick with V4 now.....

I saw in the paper today this talented actress is coming to our town to put on a one man show.... you think you're confused!!

Dress shops drive me nuts, I always take a book when my missus is buying stuff and I feel ill when the sale girls come up and say "You know, I really like how that dress looks like a canvas sack!@ It's so tres chick and it just looks great and amazing. And it's only 900 dollars that's a 5o precent off saving (ie- they couldn't sell it before)

Meanwhile I'm standing behind the sale girl waveing my hands mouthing the words "No no no! it looks like elephant poop." .....

kashyyyk!

good on you, no rest for the wicked :)

• TangoAlphaTangoAlpha Posts: 4,584
    edited December 1969

Congrats to the winners, of either gender (or other, transitional, hermaphrodite, undecided, not applicable etc - I'm sure some of you are actually AI constructs, going by the hours you post!)

I'm really going to try and have a go at the next one - it looks like fun :-)

Oh and if any of you find yourselves near the dreaming spires of Oxford, you're welcome to a beverage (unless you're Spider Man!)