[Solved] A Script for to morph models to their UV maps :-)

2»

Comments

• Ahh. OK. That should be possible to do tomorrow evening then. If all goes well. ..And nothing has so far.. frown.

Regards,

Richard.

• Hmm ... let's work on positive thinking lol ... "all shall go well, all shall go well" ;-)

• I think acknowledgement of reality is a more sensible approach than excessive optimism. That way you can be pleased when something works better, and feel justified when it doesn't. When hoping for the best, you're disappointed more often than not.

Regards,

Richard.

• richardandtracyrichardandtracy Posts: 5,049
    edited August 2020

OK. Program programmed.

This is the result from one of Arryn's dresses. The dress was saved as an object file, and then the program flattened the file to form a 100cm square object with multiple surfaces. I then applied one of Arryn's DS material poses to both the dress and flattened dress.

Regards,

Richard.

FlattenedDress.png
    800 x 800 - 229K
    Post edited by richardandtracy on
  • richardandtracyrichardandtracy Posts: 5,049
    edited August 2020

Right, hopefully I can attach the program 4 levels deep in the attached nested zip file. The source code for the active units is also included so you can check it doesn't do any harm before running the program if you wish. If it doesn't work, I'll have to grab a web connected PC and put it on my website.

Obligatory statement: Use it at your own risk, I offer no warranty. Use it for any use you think it suitable for, just don't sell it (not that it's of saleable quality) or claim it as your work.

Regards,

Richard.

zip
    zip
    Flatten.zip
    Post edited by richardandtracy on
  • Catherine3678abCatherine3678ab Posts: 8,010
    edited August 2020

Right, hopefully I can attach the program 4 levels deep in the attached nested zip file. The source code for the active units is also included so you can check it doesn't do any harm before running the program if you wish. If it doesn't work, I'll have to grab a web connected PC and put it on my website.

Obligatory statement: Use it at your own risk, I offer no warranty. Use it for any use you think it suitable for, just don't sell it (not that it's of saleable quality) or claim it as your work.

Regards,

Richard.

heartheartheartheartheartheartheartheartheartheartheart  THANK YOU !!!!!!!

Computer still works so no, it does not appear to have harmed anything ;-)

I don't know a soul on this planet that would ever believe I made any kind of script {or .exe} like that so, no worries about that.

It WORKS!!! Yes. Flattened a goldfish, a cat, a horse ... and M4's face and lips ... uvmaps are there and spot on. That will be a great time saver.

No need for changes in the script but for those using it I will mention that the name of the .mtl file must not have "_" space holders in it. If they do, the call from the .obj file must be edited and the name of the .mtl file changed to either one word or with normal spaces.

Post edited by Catherine3678ab on
  • Glad it works for you. It is a proper 32 bit compiled c++ exe file rather than a script. To be honest, the caveats people put on all sorts of usage here is a bit OTT, but I sorta wanted to poke gentle fun at such things. Little utilities like this are simply written for a limited purpose, which is usually so limited no-one would dream of doing anything like claiming it for their own.

I think the spaces in an obj mtl file name problem is a limitation of the obj format. Unless you have come across the use of inverted commas to delimit the filename. If so.. I'd like to incorporate that in my other obj programs too.

Regards,

Richard.

• Glad it works for you. It is a proper 32 bit compiled c++ exe file rather than a script. To be honest, the caveats people put on all sorts of usage here is a bit OTT, but I sorta wanted to poke gentle fun at such things. Little utilities like this are simply written for a limited purpose, which is usually so limited no-one would dream of doing anything like claiming it for their own.

I think the spaces in an obj mtl file name problem is a limitation of the obj format. Unless you have come across the use of inverted commas to delimit the filename. If so.. I'd like to incorporate that in my other obj programs too.

Regards,

Richard.

I edited my post to reflect the .exe - even more so nobody would believe I could make one of those ;-)

Have not tried anything with inverted commas in the filename. The one file I tried that I had named with underscores in it - the utility could not load the .mtl file and produced no flattened object. After I renamed the file and reference to it, then the utility loaded it fine and flattened it. Get to spend some time next making "pancakes" for all those figure parts I want in my 3D paint program.

• That's interesting to hear. I'll do some experiments with underscores to find the cause of it not loading. I think it should. Odd.

Regards,

Richard.

• ChumlyChumly Posts: 793

Hey!
    I have been following, this thread with curiosity...   I am excited that there was a request and solution... hats off to all those involved!

Gotta question though... and forgive my rookie-ness... I don't think I understand the practical explanation of how/why this would be used.  Anyone care to give a real world example?  

• I think I'll have to leave the answer to Catherine, as I'm not entirely sure how this is different from using 2D templates myself.

I just saw that there was a problem & I might be able to help providing the exact solution asked for. I tend to think that different people work in different ways and find it easier to work with different solutions to the same problem.

Regards,

Richard

• Catherine3678abCatherine3678ab Posts: 8,010
    edited July 2021

Different ways - 'cause we all have also different programs to work with ;-) In trying to work with 3D paint - some programs let the paint run over the side hence my desire for a flat surface to work with.

I've posted an example showing off pimples on V4's face - this type of detail is made using a 3D modeler [in this case 3D Coat] as one can brush in details to the actual mesh - and it will put the details into the textures. These textures can then be used on the original model which does not have the same dense mesh. If one is working with low poly meshes, this type of detailing is simply not possible.

page retired.

Post edited by Catherine3678ab on