Carrara Challenge VIII - Voting thread

Comments

• DartanbeckDartanbeck Posts: 21,103
    edited April 2014

Tough again. Looking at these for days doesn't seem to help either... so here goes.

-Entry #: 12
    -Artist: evilproducer
    -Title: Time Wins All Races

- Entry: # 13
    - Artist: DUDU
    - Title: The jogging of the lake.

- Entry # 4
    - Artist : Varsel
    - Title : The Grand National

Tie Breaker:
    Entry #10
    Artist - Stezza
    Title - Why won’t it work?

Post edited by Dartanbeck on
  • StezzaStezza Posts: 7,757
    edited December 1969

What a month of great entries..

very hard to choose from.. a lot of work has been put into the entries.

I chose as how I usually choose, by what catches my eye so here is my vote in no particular order..

Entry: # 3
    Artist: kashyyyk
    Title: High Speed Pursuit

- Entry #9
    - Artist headwax
    - Title; The Bunny, The Tortoise and the Great Race

Entry: #7
    Artist: Antara
    Title: “It Grows On You” (Don’t Fence Me In.)

Tie breaker vote:
    Entry: # 5
    Title: Thunder Head

• MegonNoelMegonNoel Posts: 377
    edited December 1969

1. Entry: #7
    Title: “It Grows On You” (Don’t Fence Me In.)
    Wow - This one had me the moment I saw it. Fantastic :-)

2. Entry: # 3
    The little details (like the leaves) are awesome. It all came together really beautifully.

3. Entry #9
    Artist: headwax
    Title: The Bunny, The Tortoise and the Great Race
    I just love the look of this one - the colors and motion turned out great.

Tie Breaker Vote:
    Artist : Varsel for "The Grand National". It has a cool mix of natural environment coupled with the sort of sci-fi look to the horses - very creative :)

• GarstorGarstor Posts: 1,411
    edited December 1969

Tough calls! I ended up with:

head wax - The Bunny, The Tortoise and the Great Race

Stezza - Don't fence me in

laurenwbr - Race For Survival

Tie-breaker could be an even tougher call. Can I put in two here? Dartanbeck and evilproducer (if only one, then flip a coin between them).

Lastly, I do want a shout-out to diomede64's "Mad Race For The Big W" for the homage to a great film.

• DiomedeDiomede Posts: 15,025
    edited December 1969

Garstor said:

Tie-breaker could be an even tougher call. Can I put in two here? Dartanbeck and evilproducer (if only one, then flip a coin between them).

I am sympathetic because there are so many fantastic renders, but I am going to enforce the provisional tie-breaker rules. Voters can only name one tie-breaker, and it can't be for an artist that the voter already cast a vote for an image.

edited December 1969

diomede64 said:
    Garstor said:

I am sympathetic because there are so many fantastic renders, but I am going to enforce the provisional tie-breaker rules. Voters can only name one tie-breaker, and it can't be for an artist that the voter already cast a vote for an image.

No problem. I'll do the coin flip. Heads for Dart.

Dartanbeck! (sorry evil, great image)

edited December 1969

Garstor said:
    diomede64 said:
    Garstor said:

No problem. I'll do the coin flip. Heads for Dart.

Dartanbeck! (sorry evil, great image)

Appreciate the clarification. Dart could tie Evil!

I have posted notices in the other Daz forums (Bryce, Hexagon, Studio, and Commons) and at the Renderosity Carrara forum.

• Kismet2012Kismet2012 Posts: 4,252
    edited December 1969

Judging contests is always difficult. There are so many imaginative, creative, talented people here.

Entry # 3 Artist: Kashyyyk

Entry # 7 Artist: Antara

Entry # 12 Artist: evilproducer

Provisional Tie Breaker: Entry # 14 Artist: Diomede64

• Miss BMiss B Posts: 3,071
    edited December 1969

Congrats to all who entered.

My choice for first place:
    Entry: #7
    Title: “It Grows On You” (Don’t Fence Me In)

My choice for second place:
    Entry: # 13
    Artist: DUDU
    Title: The jogging of the lake

My choice for third place:
    Entry #10
    Artist - Stezza
    Title - Why won’t it work?

For provisional tie breaker, this was a toss up, but since we could only pick one:
    Entry: # 1
    Artist: Diomede64
    Title: “And we don’t like fences”

• IndigoJansonIndigoJanson Posts: 1,100
    edited April 2014

Given all the work that has gone into the images, narrowing it down is going to be hard. The terrains all looked well done and added a lot to each image. So in the end I had to go with the images that for whatever reason pulled me in:

Entry # 11 Don’t fence me in Stezza -- A fun image, but 'fun' isn't all that easy to pull off, and the artist pulled it off in this one. Love all the detail and above all the energetic feel (again, no mean feat), set against a realistic looking landscape.

Entry # 7 “It Grows On You” Antara -- Very creative and different. Made me think, simple as that.

Entry # 3 High Speed Pursuit kashyyyk -- A classic chase, but all the attention to detail in the terrain at every level made it something special. Very nice compositional choices.

Provisional Tie breaker - arrgh, I have 3 different images I want to vote for here. I'm going to go for:

Entry: # 13 The jogging of the lake. DUDU_00001 -- I think sometimes the small forum previews lack the impact of the larger scene. When I open this one up, it's a scene I could lose myself in. Nice poses, great detail, and I love the compostional choice of cropping out the sky which makes me feel like I'm there watching the race.

Post edited by IndigoJanson on
    edited December 1969

Extremely hard to vote. I thought about using my coordinator role as an excuse to not vote, but that seemed unfair somehow. Great work everyone, but here goes.

Entry 3 Kashyyyk - lush and rush!

Entry 4 Varsel - such pure colors, if Vincent Minnelli had been pulled off Brigadoon to direct a film about robotic horse races, this would be it.

Entry 11 Stezza - the cat that couldn't be bothered with the whole thing, the motorcycle guy, the birds, the rabbit going under - so much to draw me in

Provisional tie-breaker Entry 7 Antara - moving, in the best sense of the word. Including the frame in the final terrain modeler heightmap made all the difference (just kidding :) )

Congrats to one and all

• Philemo_CarraraPhilemo_Carrara Posts: 1,175
    edited December 1969

A tough selection to make as usual :-)

Mine is:

#11 Stezza
    Title - Don’t fence me in

I only for the cat on the post or the jumping cow:-)
    Great render, good sense of humour,.

#6 SilenUK
    Title: Race for Survival
    I like the naive approach to the subject. A pastel post effect would have made it perfect, but it's out of scope in a Carrara contest, so never mind.
    As a big fan of prehistory, I'm sensible to this kind of picture Reminds me of museum exhibits.

#3 Kashyyyk
    Nice render, well shaded, well lit, nice composition.

• HoroHoro Posts: 10,069
    edited December 1969

I'm not very good at judging artwork, difficult for me to set preferences. All entries are great.

Entry: # 4
    Artist: Varsel
    Title: The Grand National

Entry: # 6
    Artist: SileneUK

Entry: # 16
    Artist: Philemo
    Title: Fences are for sheep only

Provisional tie-breaker:
    Entry: # 10
    Artist: Stezza
    Title: Why won’t it work?

• HeadwaxHeadwax Posts: 9,921
    edited December 1969

thanks for taking the time Horo, appreciate it! Love your work with Bryce.

• JamahoneyJamahoney Posts: 1,791
    edited April 2014

Well done to all...us Brycers are impressed.

(1) Entry #11, Stezza – that motor-cyclist is dead if he hits that fence at that speed ;)

(2) Entry # 4, Varsel – Ah, yes, robot horses – the future for pundits ;)

(3) Entry: # 14, Diomede64 – Ah, loved that film...so funny.

(Tie-breaker) Entry: # 6, SileneUK – Has a certain charm to it.

Jay

Post edited by Jamahoney on
  • HoroHoro Posts: 10,069
    edited December 1969

head wax said:
    thanks for taking the time Horo, appreciate it! Love your work with Bryce.

Thank you! And you're more than welcome. After all, we share the same hobby.
  • evilproducerevilproducer Posts: 9,040
    edited April 2014

Well, this isn't getting any easier, so I'll just have to make my decisions! I wish I could pick many more as they're all really great works!

These are in entry number order:

[#3 Kashyyyk. Great job on the road texturing and the camera angle. As has already been mentioned by others, the leaves are a great touch. I also like the lighting effects.

#8 Dartanbeck. Great sense of motion. Cool lighting and attention to details. Love the flaming guy flying off the exploding vehicle. Good thing he has one of those fire-proof racing suits with extra padding for those hard landings, eh? ;-)

#11 Stezza. Love all the animals and then there's the dude on the motorbike. Not sure if he's part of the stamped or the cause of it, but it's a great anachronistic touch.

Honorable mention/tie breaker.

#6 laurenwbr (Silene) A very nice job. It evokes memories of dioramas that I would see in natural history museums of prehistoric scenes. Even the lighting suggests that feel for me. Great attention to the little details.

I mentioned it in the WIP thread, but it bears repeating. I'm very happy to see people that haven't participated before put in an entry. I know it can be a bit intimidating to put yourself out there, so congratulations. The creator of the artwork is usually the harshest critic, so it's not easy to see your work being judged by others when every little flaw advertises itself like a neon light.

It also bears repeating that these challenges are meant to advertise what great things can be done with Carrara and to provide a learning experience. To me, the learning aspect is the most important, and that is why there has been a WIP thread for all these challenges. I know I always learn something or gain an idea or insight that I haven't had before.

Post edited by evilproducer on
  • IlenaIlena Posts: 280
    edited December 1969

Tough choices... well, here goes.

Entry: # 1
    Artist: Diomede64
    Title: “And we don’t like fences”

Entry: # 3

Entry: #6
    Artist: SileneUK

• VarselVarsel Posts: 574
    edited December 1969

Time for me to do my duty, and cast my votes.

Entry: # 3 Artist: kashyyyk Title: High Speed Pursuit

Entry: #6 Artist: SileneUK Title: Race for Survival

Entry: #7 Artist: Antara Title: “It Grows On You” (Don’t Fence Me In.)

These were the ones that caught my eye and I had to have a second and third look at, for their originality, and execution.

And I will put
    Entry # 12 Artist: evilproducer Title: Time Wins All Races
    as tie breaker.

• MysticWingsMysticWings Posts: 226
    edited December 1969

My vote goes to:

entry 7 - it's a great work!! It was love at first sight... The theme is amazing (very fantasy as I like) and it's amazingly expressive!!

entry 8 - I'm not a fan of cars, car racing and nothing of that... and yet this image is so well done that kept my attention immediately. You have great effect and image balance there!

entry 12 - always liked the sentence "less is more", and all real artists know that do more with less it's a great challenge, not as easy as it my look from outside. This image is a good example of this. A simple scene, a simple theme... and yet... very expressive!

Congratulation to all of you.

edited December 1969

If you have not voted, there is still time to do so. If you voted but did not indicate a provisional tie breaker, there is still time to do so.

But not much more time.

Thank you to Daz, Mmoir, the participants, and the voters.

edited December 1969

diomede64 said:
    If you have not voted, there is still time to do so. If you voted but did not indicate a provisional tie breaker, there is still time to do so.

But not much more time.

Thank you to Daz, Mmoir, the participants, and the voters.

If you've tallied already, I added a tie-breaker to my vote. Sorry that I forgot to do so. Here's my vote for ease of finding it.
    edited December 1969

OK everybody, the voting is closed. Thanks to everyone who entered or voted. By my tally, which I will double check, we have two artists with 11 votes, and each has 3 tie breaker votes. I will double check, but if it holds up, then we need our sponsor to break the tie. The official word will be given when we have settled everything. I think this shows how great the entries were. Congrats to all.

edited December 1969

After further evaluation, we can establish the 1st, 2nd, and 3rd place participants.

1st = Kashyyyk (well deserved) - won on tie breakers
    2nd = Stezza
    3rd = Antara

The honorable mentions will be announced hereafter. Congratulations to one and all. Kashyyyk, you are the winner of the "Great Race / Don't Fence me in" challenge. Along with that honor goes the dictatorial control over the next challenge, assuming the Daz folks continue their support (no reason to assume otherwise). I will be sending a PM to the winners and the honorable mentions (as determined).

It was a great honor for me to be the coordinator. Thank you everyone for making my job easy.

• StezzaStezza Posts: 7,757
    edited December 1969

Congrats Kashyyyk & Antara

well deserved, great renders.

and thanks diomede64 what an awesome job you did for this challenge.. kudos to you

Thanks again to the sponsors.. ;-)

MMoir : http://www.daz3d.com/mmoir

and Daz :-)

edited December 1969

Fantastic job everyone, and congrats on the wins!

edited December 1969

Great work everyone!

I sincerely hope that I have available time to participate in the next Challenge.

• d-j-od-j-o Posts: 345
    edited December 1969

Thanks everyone!

Great job Stezza & Antara

Thanks to diomede64 for an awesome challenge and the job running this.

Thanks again also to our sponser MMoir @ http://www.daz3d.com/mmoir and of course Daz!

• evilproducerevilproducer Posts: 9,040
    edited December 1969

kashyyyk said:
    Thanks everyone!

Great job Stezza & Antara

Thanks to diomede64 for an awesome challenge and the job running this.

Thanks again also to our sponser MMoir @ http://www.daz3d.com/mmoir and of course Daz!

Congrats to everyone!

kashyyyk, have fun with hosting the next challenge! If you need any help or a shoulder to cry on, ;-) I'm sure any of the past hosts will be more than willing to help!

edited December 1969

The picks for honorable mention are in. Thanks Mmoir for being a great sponsor. If the themes of this challenge interested anyone in terrains or replicators, you should really check out Mmoir's products.

Entry #4 Varsel
    and
    Entry #8 Dartanbeck.

Both well deserved, as are Kashyyyk, Stezza, and Antara.