Poser Pro 11.3.818 DSON import issues - HELP!

Demented RabbitDemented Rabbit Posts: 9
edited August 2020 in Poser Discussion

Until recently, I had no issues with DSON importing for Poser 11 running on Windows 10. After installing the most recent Poser Pro 11 update, my DSON content went haywire. I only have two DSON characters, a pair of running shoes and the VIctoria 5 Elite Ponytail. Both would load and I'd see the mesh, but the figure would be invisible upon rednering. I uninstalled both, and bot would now load...but there would be no figure in the scene. It showed in the menu, but there wasn't anything actually there.

To try to solve this, I did the following:

• Uninstalled both figures with the Daz Install Manager and swept the runtime folder for remnants
  • Uninstalled Poser completely, deleted all preference and installation folders, and cleaned the registry using CCleaner
  • Uninstalled DAZ Install Manager and DSON Importer
  • Downloaded latest versions of the above software
  • Reinstalled everything
  • Lied to DIM and told it I was using Poser Pro 2014

After doing this, the running shoes will load. The V5 Ponytail, however, still does the "phantom figure" thing. Furthermore, once this phantom ponytail figure loads, deleting it triggers a Poser crash. Trying to close down Poser after loading this figure also triggers a Poser crash.

I've looked everywhere trying to find a solution, but nothing seems to be the same as what I'm experiencing. Any advice is appreciated, since I used that hair exclusively on my main character in the setup scenes for the comic book I published and am having difficulty with them now due to this issue.

I'm also noting that Poser never actually seemed to do a true clean install, because it never asked me for the registration key again, it always just...had it. No matter how thoroughly I tried to clean it out.

Post edited by Demented Rabbit on

Comments

• You do have the DSON core files installed, into an external library Poser knows about?

• You do have the DSON core files installed, into an external library Poser knows about?

DSON was installed in /Program files/Poser Software/Poser 11. DSON also shows properly in the scripts menu. As stated above, one of the two DSON characters loads fine now so Poser obviously has access to the DSON installation. I just can't figure out why the ponytail figure refuses to load properly.
  • WandWWandW Posts: 2,771
    edited August 2020

Python was updated in 11.3, and the DSON Importer no longer works. Unless the Importer is updated by DAZ,  to use DSON assets via the Importer, one must use 11.2 or lower; otherwise, they must be exported from Studio as cr2 and pp2 files to use them in Poser 11.3 and higher.

More info here...

https://www.renderosity.com/mod/forumpro/?thread_id=2948564

This will get worse in Poser 12, because Python 2.7  reached end-of-life last year, so Python will be updated to version 3, which will break most existing Poser Python scripts...

Post edited by WandW on
  • oldjoeoldjoe Posts: 7

When I first trying to install DSON importer, I used the DAZ Install Manager. It would always ask for and look for a specific version of Poser and the installation would always fail. To get around this, I downloaded the DSON importer manually and ran the program from within windows. Again, it would ask for the specific version of Poser, but I would simply open the browser window and tell it where the version of Poser I am using is, it would install there, and all worked fine. I am using Poser 11.3.818. I read on a Renderosity forum about the fear of the next version of Poser and the Python it used not being compatible with previous versions. One of the forum members, who has written many python scripts said he will be working on fixes, so hopefully all will be well.

• Demented RabbitDemented Rabbit Posts: 9
    edited August 2020
    WandW said:

Python was updated in 11.3, and the DSON Importer no longer works. Unless the Importer is updated by DAZ,  to use DSON assets via the Importer, one must use 11.2 or lower; otherwise, they must be exported from Studio as cr2 and pp2 files to use them in Poser 11.3 and higher.

More info here...

This will get worse in Poser 12, because Python 2.7  reached end-of-life last year, so Python will be updated to version 3, which will break most existing Poser Python scripts...

Thanks for the info, but none of that explains why the rest of the DSON imported models still work perfectly fine while the V5 ponytail leaves an invisible artifact that crashes Poser if I try to delete it or close the scene. This invisible ponytail figure is also present in all scenes where the ponytail had previously been used.

• oldjoe said:

When I first trying to install DSON importer, I used the DAZ Install Manager. It would always ask for and look for a specific version of Poser and the installation would always fail. To get around this, I downloaded the DSON importer manually and ran the program from within windows. Again, it would ask for the specific version of Poser, but I would simply open the browser window and tell it where the version of Poser I am using is, it would install there, and all worked fine. I am using Poser 11.3.818. I read on a Renderosity forum about the fear of the next version of Poser and the Python it used not being compatible with previous versions. One of the forum members, who has written many python scripts said he will be working on fixes, so hopefully all will be well.

Thanks, I'll give that a shot

WandW said:

More info here...

Thanks for the info, but none of that explains why the rest of the DSON imported models still work perfectly fine while the V5 ponytail leaves an invisible artifact that crashes Poser if I try to delete it or close the scene. This invisible ponytail figure is also present in all scenes where the ponytail had previously been used.

Works fine for me in 11.2.286.  I am using version 1.1.3.49 of the DSON Importer as later versions caused mesh distortions in Genesis 2 figures.

V5 Ponytail.png
    637 x 649 - 246K
  • Anybody know where I can get a legacy version of DSON? I've been searching for a while and coming up bare.

• Demented RabbitDemented Rabbit Posts: 9
    edited August 2020

WandW said:

More info here...

Works fine for me in 11.2.286.  I am using version 1.1.3.49 of the DSON Importer as later versions caused mesh distortions in Genesis 2 figures.

Does anybody know where I can get a legacy version of DSON? I've been searching for a while and coming up bare.
    Sorry for the double post. I tried to quote, missed, and can't delete...I need coffee, lol

• Only daz can provide the DSON Importer, which is what I assume you mean by DSON.

edited August 2020

Anybody know where I can get a legacy version of DSON? I've been searching for a while and coming up bare.

An older beta version may be in your product Library (it is in mine).  It is version version 1.1.3.49.  This link should get you there if you are logged into the store...

https://www.daz3d.com/downloader/customer/files#prod_16190

Post edited by WandW on
  • mmitchell_houstonmmitchell_houston Posts: 2,472
    edited August 2020

I have these versions of DSON if anyone needs them:

• DSON_Importer_for_Poser_1.2.0.12_Win64.exe
    • DSON_Importer_for_Poser_1.1.3.49_Win64.exe

PM me and I will send them to you.

Post edited by mmitchell_houston on
  • LeanaLeana Posts: 10,932
    edited August 2020

I have these versions of DSON if anyone needs them:

• DSON_Importer_for_Poser_1.2.0.12_Win64.exe
    • DSON_Importer_for_Poser_1.1.3.49_Win64.exe

PM me and I will send them to you.

Sharing installers is not allowed by EULA

Post edited by Leana on
  • Consumer573Consumer573 Posts: 282
    edited November 2020

Thanks Wandw, I'm appreciative for your link as I found mine there.  I don't think I have any problems, but I re-downloaded them anyway.

I hope Daz will reconsider sharing of installers, or make them avaialable from the company upon request,  if they are the older ones and not otherwise available.  It helps the community as a whole. 

I am a fairly long time Poser user now and I am resisting moving to the newer versions after my Game Developer reverted back down to  Poser2014 and will never again be available to me due to their (imho) stupid kill switch key, which thankfully Posers 2014 does not have.  I'm torn beacause I really want to support Poser, but cannot in good conscience go all out since people  can potentially spend thousands of dollars on models and to have the only program that can run them die on purpose? Especially when newer versions can be unstable and have bugs for a long period of time.  That is a good thing so far for Daz, though I haven't yet switched.

I have a version of a graphics program which I think may be 16 bit and which I managed to keep running in the change from XP to Windows 7 by installing it on the new operating system. This woud not be possible today and nobody loses any money by me keeping it active.  I keep it because it has an exchange for Kodak Photo CD format to jpeg and I have Kodak Photo CDs from when I was taking 35mm and also having the company digitize them.  It is part of the so-called digital rot problem that they (technology companies) have managed to make people pay for on subscrption with the cloud. What happens if a family member dies or stops paying the subscription?  Do family photos become public property or up for auction like a storage unit that goes unpaid? I don't think I'd have Kodachrome pictures from the 1940s and 1950s that my grandfather took if this was the model that existed way back when.  I think if artists are going to invest in 3D models they should be looking at the longer term as these are more like 35mm slides as assets and should not be transient property that goes obsolete with the software.

Sorry, this may be a bit random, but it is late at night.  That's not why I came here, anyway.  I'm looking for a German Sheperd dog model and a leash that I can use in Poser 2014 and up.  I meant to start a new thread on it, but maybe tomorrow.

Post edited by Consumer573 on
  • Until recently, I had no issues with DSON importing for Poser 11 running on Windows 10. After installing the most recent Poser Pro 11 update, my DSON content went haywire. I only have two DSON characters, a pair of running shoes and the VIctoria 5 Elite Ponytail. Both would load and I'd see the mesh, but the figure would be invisible upon rednering. I uninstalled both, and bot would now load...but there would be no figure in the scene. It showed in the menu, but there wasn't anything actually there.

To try to solve this, I did the following:

• Uninstalled both figures with the Daz Install Manager and swept the runtime folder for remnants
    • Uninstalled Poser completely, deleted all preference and installation folders, and cleaned the registry using CCleaner
    • Uninstalled DAZ Install Manager and DSON Importer
    • Downloaded latest versions of the above software
    • Reinstalled everything
    • Lied to DIM and told it I was using Poser Pro 2014

After doing this, the running shoes will load. The V5 Ponytail, however, still does the "phantom figure" thing. Furthermore, once this phantom ponytail figure loads, deleting it triggers a Poser crash. Trying to close down Poser after loading this figure also triggers a Poser crash.

I've looked everywhere trying to find a solution, but nothing seems to be the same as what I'm experiencing. Any advice is appreciated, since I used that hair exclusively on my main character in the setup scenes for the comic book I published and am having difficulty with them now due to this issue.

I'm also noting that Poser never actually seemed to do a true clean install, because it never asked me for the registration key again, it always just...had it. No matter how thoroughly I tried to clean it out.

I had a similar issue recently. It turned out that some of the DS folders had been removed from Poser's library. Apparently, DSON requires those in order to find the geometry and morph files. Otherwise, you end up with a blank/broken item with aboultely no explanation of what happened. Even the log file will lie and say everything imported fine. The only inducation of a error is the fact that it says it impoted in 0 seconds.

My guess is you have another DS folder somewhere missing from Poser's library. Either go into Install Manger (Advanced Settings>Installation) or DS (Content Diretory Manger) to check where all of the content folders are and make sure they're in Poser's library.

Best of luck.