Carrara Challenge VIII - "The Great Race" or "Don't Fence Me In" - WIP Thread is Open

Comments

• Philemo_CarraraPhilemo_Carrara Posts: 1,175
    edited December 1969

Hi to all,

This is my second WIP.
    As requested by the entry rules, I've tried to make a custom use of replicator.

I needed a large scree at the bottom of the mesa.

First I needed rocks which I borrowed from Yughues

I used 3 replicators, one for large rock and two for medium and small rocks.

The 3 replicators are controlled by asimilar shader which is a combination of elevation (to keep them at the bottom) and slop (a rock won't stay on a steep slope).
    The one for large rock goes lower than the two others and on gentler slope.

The difference with the two others are the the number of objects (the larger the rock, the less needed) and the random scale (3000%, 1000% and 300%)

replicator.png
    1366 x 768 - 152K
    ReplicatorShader.png
    1366 x 768 - 227K
    backdropG.png
    2000 x 1125 - 2M
  • evilproducerevilproducer Posts: 9,040
    edited December 1969

Philemo said:
    Hi to all,

This is my second WIP.

The 3 replicators are controlled by asimilar shader which is a combination of elevation (to keep them at the bottom) and slop (a rock won't stay on a steep slope).

The difference with the two others are the the number of objects (the larger the rock, the less needed) and the random scale (3000%, 1000% and 300%)

Great job! I can almost see Wile E. Coyote going splat!

• DiomedeDiomede Posts: 15,026
    edited December 1969

Philemo said:
    Hi to all,

This is my second WIP.

Great job! I can almost see Wile E. Coyote going splat!

Agreed! Fantastic work, Philemo. I think I see John Ford's film crew behind that mesa.

Just a reminder for any late challengers who come across this post, the rule is to use either the terrain editor or the replicator. You don't have to use both.

edited December 1969

Well, I had an idea pretty late in the game, but I'm just not going to be able to get it done. Here's an initial test.

Picture_2.png
    721 x 480 - 492K
  • StezzaStezza Posts: 7,757
    edited December 1969

Stezza said:

Yep, must be drinking to much Grange... we do that a lot in NSW

updated post on page 16..
    http://www.daz3d.com/forums/viewreply/582261/

North, South, Wisconsin?

sounds serious!.. hope there's a cure for it ;-)

Garstor is on the ball ... and probably keeping up to date on the news :-)

That looks great Philemo..

EP.. this could be a great race before the finish... keep it coming

• DartanbeckDartanbeck Posts: 21,103
    edited December 1969

Nope. No cure ;)

• GarstorGarstor Posts: 1,411
    edited December 1969

Stezza said:
    Garstor is on the ball ... and probably keeping up to date on the news :-)

It's a balancing act... :P But I think I'm out to lunch on the news part of things. The "news" organizations in North Texas don't care much for anything happening outside the borders of Texas... ;-) I doubt that they could find NSW on a map if asked...

edited December 1969

Just a reminder that MT is mountain time, where Daz's Utah offices are located.
    - Submissions Close: 9:00 PM MT April 21, 2014
    - If you are unsure of Mountain Time, go to this link to get the current MT date/time:
    http://www.worldtimeserver.com/current_time_in_US-UT.aspx

By my calculations, that is about 15 hours from when I am adding this post to the thread.

• SileneUKSileneUK Posts: 1,969
    edited December 1969

Philemo said:
    Hi to all,

This is my second WIP.

We did an air tour over Monument Valley on a tour of US Nat Parks...and yours look just like what we viewed from above, even the scrub on the ground. It was scary flying between some of the mesas as for some reason on certain headsets you could hear the cockpit programmed warning, TERRAIN TERRAIN, PULL UP, PULL UP!! Only some of us heard it, but most being Brits -- just exchanged quizzical looks....I was un-nerved till the co-pilot poked his head around into the cabin and said, "sorry folks... ignore that!". Ermm...OK.

You have caught the view at ground level...I love it! It's like being there!

:coolsmile: SileneUK

edited December 1969

Well, I had an idea pretty late in the game, but I'm just not going to be able to get it done. Here's an initial test.
    Pretty cool there, ep!
    edited December 1969

That's about as far as it will go for this I'm afraid. Not going to be an entry.

• Philemo_CarraraPhilemo_Carrara Posts: 1,175
    edited December 1969

laurenwbr said:

We did an air tour over Monument Valley on a tour of US Nat Parks...and yours look just like what we viewed from above, even the scrub on the ground. It was scary flying between some of the mesas as for some reason on certain headsets you could hear the cockpit programmed warning, TERRAIN TERRAIN, PULL UP, PULL UP!! Only some of us heard it, but most being Brits -- just exchanged quizzical looks....I was un-nerved till the co-pilot poked his head around into the cabin and said, "sorry folks... ignore that!". Ermm...OK.

You have caught the view at ground level...I love it! It's like being there!

:coolsmile: SileneUK

Thank you Silene.

This is the last WIP, just before post

Not completely satisfied, but my hard drive (or motherboard, I don't know) crashed, so it will be the last one. Fortunately, the render was on an external drive, so I can post, but the .car file was on the hard drive, and so, is either lost or at least unreachable...

horseI200nu7a.png
    2000 x 1125 - 3M
    edited December 1969

Bummer about the hard drive. The consolation being that the render you have looks really cool!
    I guess I better start thinking about getting a replacement hard drive, copy mine over - mostly, and use it as a back-up drive for the rest of its days. These things never seem to come with warnings :ahhh:

edited December 1969

The entry thread has been converted to the voting thread. Congratulations and good luck to everyone who submitted their renders. It is a good collection of images.

edited December 1969

I know this one is done, but I was playing with the terrain editor and made this jail cell completely from a terrain so I thought I'd share it here:

GetMeOut.jpg
    1280 x 1500 - 810K
    edited December 1969

Very nice picture Dart. Love the lighting.

edited April 2014

Thanks ep!
    I was using GI and IL for this one, with pretty high settings all the way through. I couldn't use GC due to the Carrara hair.
    EDIT: Oh, and soft raytraced shadows on every light. Most were set to a radius of 33 ft. but one was smaller, I think.

Post edited by Dartanbeck on
    edited December 1969

I think a dark scene like that looks better without it personally.

edited December 1969

Wonderful job, Dart. Would you mind posting the terrain settings and shader? I thought more people would use the terrain editor as a modeler of basic objects to satisfy the requirement, but I was very happy with the results.

edited December 1969

diomede64 said:
    Wonderful job, Dart. Would you mind posting the terrain settings and shader? I thought more people would use the terrain editor as a modeler of basic objects to satisfy the requirement, but I was very happy with the results.

Bah! I did my time in hell back when Raydream quit working and I used an old copy of Bryce until I found Carrara. There were some incredible models made using Bryce's terrain tools- Heck, I think I even saw a motorcycle made that way once, but I discovered through much trial and error that it's not for me!

• d-j-od-j-o Posts: 345
    edited December 1969

Never occurred to me to use the terrain editor to create anything other than terrain..

• HeadwaxHeadwax Posts: 9,921
    edited December 1969

nice work dart, I did a few renders the other day of a couple of m4s
    and used the depth render pass to make a terrain
    then edit smooth
    flipped terrain
    and dropped one of your great shaders from your first environ kit
    looked like a whole lot of bodies burried in a field

alternatively
    adding a normal map pass for the bump and a texture map (from the original renders of the m4's) made it look like real m4s (from certain angles at least )

great way to get hand built rock walls for a building etc as well I guess

• SileneUKSileneUK Posts: 1,969
    edited December 1969

head wax said:
    nice work dart, I did a few renders the other day of a couple of m4s
    and used the depth render pass to make a terrain
    then edit smooth
    flipped terrain
    and dropped one of your great shaders from your first environ kit
    looked like a whole lot of bodies burried in a field

alternatively
    adding a normal map pass for the bump and a texture map (from the original renders of the m4's) made it look like real m4s (from certain angles at least )

great way to get hand built rock walls for a building etc as well I guess

Man, it's going to be years before I ever get to learn to use these things... it boggles the mind to know about the endless possibilities. But I still love seeing them! Oh, and the PW too, HW !!!!

xx :) Silene

edited December 1969

Nah... it just takes time, patience and a lot of messing around ;)
    The neat thing is that Carrara can do so much that it takes a long time to try it all - or even significant amounts of it! :)

edited December 1969

Thanks guys, it was a fun experiment. I'm going to have to look deeper into this.

Also, if you're not so keen on modeling, you can get all manner of shapes using special characters in the text modeler. I went to Start > All Programs > Accessories > Character map, and pinned that to my task bar. Now I can go in and copy cool characters and drop them into the text modeler and get all manner of results! ;)

edited December 1969

Thank you to everyone who has already voted. It is a tribute to our participants that so many different images are receiving votes. Please remember that you may also provide a provisional tie-breaker vote for an artist if you have not already cast a vote for one of that artist's images. If you have already voted, you can still edit your post to add a provisional tie breaker if you have not already done so.

edited December 1969

Thanks guys, it was a fun experiment. I'm going to have to look deeper into this.

Also, if you're not so keen on modeling, you can get all manner of shapes using special characters in the text modeler. I went to Start > All Programs > Accessories > Character map, and pinned that to my task bar. Now I can go in and copy cool characters and drop them into the text modeler and get all manner of results! ;)

Very cool, Dart! Thanks for the tip. I was able to get that AE vowel into the text modeler. Unfortunately, I got an error when I tried to convert it to another modeler (vertex). I'll post it in the 'weird error' thread.

convert_to_other_modeler_error.JPG
    543 x 416 - 34K
    edited April 2014

Man, it’s going to be years before I ever get to learn to use these things… it boggles the mind to know about the endless possibilities. But I still love seeing them! Oh, and the PW too, HW !!!!

xx smile Silene

Silene, you are doing very well. It's important to have a project to work towards - which you have. And you have a vision of what you want in the end. In that way you will leap forward in bounds and leaps.

Post edited by Headwax on
    edited December 1969

diomede64 said:

Very cool, Dart! Thanks for the tip. I was able to get that AE vowel into the text modeler. Unfortunately, I got an error when I tried to convert it to another modeler (vertex). I'll post it in the 'weird error' thread.

great diphthong, love diphthongs! nice find dart

edited December 1969

I made a distant future computer, where everything is just a big touch screen. When I was playing with the idea of 3d text that changes illumination when it's touched, the idea of using funky special characters crossed my... my... you know... that part of me that they can't fix.
    It's cool though. Characters can touch text and drag it around, anywhere on the screen. Same with other elements. Pull them out for a 3d view. But in the slide-around phase, everything stays behind a nice, protective and nearly invisible screen. The device, itself, is rigged, and I've found all manner of things to do with it now. It can become many shapes, sizes, angles, cantilevered or whatever... it's ultimately versatile and very cool. I made many shading domains throughout the thing. While they can share the same shader, they certainly don't have to. So it's becoming very fun. Like experimenting between having the inner plate, behind the buttons, text, etc., reflective or flat diffuse, bright or dark, glowing or shadowed... just for that one plate... each change makes an entirely different look... different model, manufacturer, whatever. Really fun project.

Anyways, yeah, I was tempted to use the text modeler to make console buttons! But I modeled those myself. Much lower poly count.