How to Rig a Prop: Cabinet Doors

2»

Comments

• RGcincyRGcincy Posts: 2,806

Just for the little story behind it RGcincy, these cabinets, the small one and the big one are the exact replica of the ones I had in my office at my previous job. The exact one, dimensions, colors, etc...! (except that mine were full of documentation).

Funny, I've had similar cabinets in offices and labs. 

• wizard1200wizard1200 Posts: 239
    RGcincy said:

1. In Daz Studio, I used Keymate (you could use the Timeline if you don't have Keymate) with Max frames of 30 and FPS of 15. At frames 0 and 30 the doors are closed, at frame 15 they are both open.

2. In Render Settings pane, under General, set Render Type to Image Series then render.

3. I then went to http://gifcreator.me/ to create the gif. It has you upload a series of images and you can adjust size and animation speed (I think I used 100 or 125). Select Create Animation and your gif is generated. You then download it to your computer.

Thank you very much!

• V3DigitimesV3Digitimes Posts: 3,049
    RGcincy said:

Just for the little story behind it RGcincy, these cabinets, the small one and the big one are the exact replica of the ones I had in my office at my previous job. The exact one, dimensions, colors, etc...! (except that mine were full of documentation).

Funny, I've had similar cabinets in offices and labs. 

Lol, it must have been a worldwilde best seller...

For those who bookmarked this thread, I did a followup rigging tutorial: How to Rig a Prop: Magician's Staff. In the new tutorial, I add 8 bones to a staff to allow you to bend and twist it in multiple places and directions. It is a bit more more complex rigging than these cabinet doors as it is not a single piece of rigid geometry rotating around a single axis.

• DiomedeDiomede Posts: 15,073

Thank you.

RGcincy said:

For those who bookmarked this thread, I did a followup rigging tutorial: How to Rig a Prop: Magician's Staff. In the new tutorial, I add 8 bones to a staff to allow you to bend and twist it in multiple places and directions. It is a bit more more complex rigging than these cabinet doors as it is not a single piece of rigid geometry rotating around a single axis.

• nonesuch00nonesuch00 Posts: 17,922

Thanks!

• BartlebyBartleby Posts: 56

Thank you for this tutorial.  I have been fighting with basic rigging and this cleared it all up!  Off to check out your new one.

thanks Bartleby!

• 3Diva3Diva Posts: 11,287

Oh wow! I think these tutorials are really going to come in handy! Thank you so much, @RGcincyyes

thanks divamakeup!

• Thanks for this tutorial that really help me to learn the rigging. But i still have a question: i notice the bones don't have the translation properties only the transform and scale. How do you avoid that or restore the translate properties?

The easiest way to get to the translate parameters is to use the Parameters pane menu (the stack of horizontal lines icon at the top of the pane). Select Show Hidden Properties and translate controls will show up.

• Thank you a lot for this tutorial. yes

• Thank you for this!

Glad to be of help

• DiomedeDiomede Posts: 15,073
    RGcincy said:

The easiest way to get to the translate parameters is to use the Parameters pane menu (the stack of horizontal lines icon at the top of the pane). Select Show Hidden Properties and translate controls will show up.

Aha!  Thank you again. Your generosity with knowledge is much appreciated.

I was rigging a simple office set with a door to a hallway, a door to a closet, and a window.  Easy to get the doors to rotate open but couldn't figure out how to get the window to translate up.  Was going to try a morph.  Much better to use translate.  Coming to a freebie thread near you.

cc01 no translate option for window.jpg
    1912 x 882 - 195K
  • GeorgehazeGeorgehaze Posts: 152

Very, very helpful!

Thank you, very much!

• GreymomGreymom Posts: 1,104

This is very useful!  Thanks!