JULY New Users Contest WIP Thread

Comments

• Joe CotterJoe Cotter Posts: 3,259
    edited December 1969

Yes that worked, thank you :)

Would still like to figure out what I'm doing wrong on saving the poses.

edited December 1969

... you really need multiple references, the arms in the render in my previous post were going in two different directions.

It gets easier, I haven't done a lot of posing yet but am starting to get the hang of it. Arms are the hardest initially I believe. They don't work at all the way I expected them to, and it took some playing to get used to how the bones moved. Also for me, I found as I got more comfortable with spinning the camera around, zooming in and out of areas etc.. it helped a lot. Along with that, it really helps to be able to spin into camera position quickly back and forth, or save a camera in that position. I do both, but find switching cameras takes more time then spinning into place once I got the hang of it. I do save a camera for when I want to do a quick render. It helps with getting consistent results when comparing changes. In the end, after a bit of practice I think you'll find you can kind of get how to move something to align things in 3D to get the 2d to match and it becomes kind of rewarding, like solving a puzzle.

Btw, It looks good, hope you had fun doing it :)

edited December 1969

Scott, I like the pose, the DOF and lighting look great, good luck with it in the contest :)

• ChoholeChohole Posts: 33,604
    edited December 1969

Oh boy, I have a day with no reliable internet and thre are 3 pages of new stuff in this thread, it is really getting interesting seeing all the new stuff coming along.

• SzarkSzark Posts: 10,634
    edited December 1969

LOL I can't even keep up with reliable internet. LOL

• deloquenciadeloquencia Posts: 46
    edited July 2012

Hello,

first of all thanks for the feedback. Thank you Sasje, I appreciate it a lot to hear it from you.

In the last days I've found another way to work with a reference image. It's to use two 90°-rotated planes, instead of the backdrop, which've been described earlier. So I thought to share with you how to pose with these reference planes :)

One plane is in the background and the other is semi-transparent in the foreground. Posing with such two planes can be a easier, I think it is :)

On the one hand you can scale the reference image to the size of your model, instead of Z-translating the model to fit the size of the backdrop.
    On the other hand with the foreground plane you can set transparency as you go along and you still see the reference image after you finished your posing. That foreground plane is especially great for flexing muscularity with the morph targets to give the pose the final touch.

Working-with-two-planes_Overview.jpg
    799 x 507 - 62K
    Working-with-two-planes_Setup.jpg
    799 x 656 - 63K
    Post edited by deloquencia on
  • JaderailJaderail Posts: 0
    edited December 1969

Thats a Great Tip deloquencia. Thank you for sharing it.

edited December 1969

deloquencia thank you for that. I love seeing how people adapt tips and make them better. Very cool indeed. :)

• Scott LivingstonScott Livingston Posts: 4,331
    edited December 1969

My latest...finished working on the pose (I think...and that doesn't include the facial expression), and started putting the scene together. Lantios Lights 2 really makes the whole thing pop. Any and all feedback is appreciated.

As far as the pose is concerned, it's definitely closer to balanced now, and I've also tried to make it more dynamic-looking, as if he's in the midst of turning around.

I must have missed this one earlier. Did you have a reference image? Looks very dynamic. I think the lighting has that nice outdoorsy look to it.
    Whoops...was re-reading this thread and came upon this post. You missed my previous posts, but somehow I missed this response! Sorry for late reply, and thank you for your comments!

You can see my reference pic on page 5 of this thread (near the bottom), or in the official entries thread. Yours looks good so far...looking forward to the completed version. :)

• SasjeSasje Posts: 835
    edited December 1969

Hello,

first of all thanks for the feedback. Thank you Sasje, I appreciate it a lot to hear it from you.

In the last days I've found another way to work with a reference image. It's to use two 90°-rotated planes, instead of the backdrop, which've been described earlier. So I thought to share with you how to pose with these reference planes :)

One plane is in the background and the other is semi-transparent in the foreground. Posing with such two planes can be a easier, I think it is :)

On the one hand you can scale the reference image to the size of your model, instead of Z-translating the model to fit the size of the backdrop.
    On the other hand with the foreground plane you can set transparency as you go along and you still see the reference image after you finished your posing. That foreground plane is especially great for flexing muscularity with the morph targets to give the pose the final touch.

Thanks that you appreciate that and now I learn something to :)
    edited July 2012

Hello,

I stumbled not only about a few questions according DAZ Studio but also about these two posing reference overviews, while I watched out for some more sujets to pose. Perhaps you'll find it handy for inspiration and to pick a pose for exercise, at least that's what I'll do in the next time :-)

First posing overview
    Second posing overview

Now I'll get to the few questions, perhaps a little bit specific :-)

Is it possible to smooth only selected body parts with DAZ Studio built-in mesh smoothing?

Why there are so many different properties in the tabs hidden (i.e. the mesh smoother and it's detailed properties)?
    And is it possible to unhide them by default? When I unset Hidden in the parameter settings its just for the current scene.

What exactly are the p and JCM for V3/M3?

How to create sweat on the skin with the built-in shader-capabilities in DAZ Studio?
    During experimenting with ambient, diffuse and specular color values I didn't accomplish a convincing result.
    Hell, how they depend upon each other... :-( Do you know some written tutorials?

Thanks in advance and somewhere'll be always a solution :-)

Addendum: I'm still using DAZ Studio 4, I didn't tried 4.5 - is it worth?

little-posing-guide_overview.jpg
    800 x 470 - 77K
  • kurisu2112kurisu2112 Posts: 198
    edited December 1969

Jaderail said:
    kurisu2112 that is awsome. I don't see anything but super minor tweaks that really dont matter IMHO.

Now if only I can find her something to wear. :-)

edited July 2012

Hello,

I stumbled not only about a few questions according DAZ Studio but also about these two posing reference overviews, while I watched out for some more sujets to pose. Perhaps you'll find it handy for inspiration and to pick a pose for exercise, at least that's what I'll do in the next time :-)

First posing overview
    Second posing overview

Now I'll get to the few questions, perhaps a little bit specific :-)

Is it possible to smooth only selected body parts with DAZ Studio built-in mesh smoothing?

Why there are so many different properties in the tabs hidden (i.e. the mesh smoother and it's detailed properties)?
    And is it possible to unhide them by default? When I unset Hidden in the parameter settings its just for the current scene.

What exactly are the p and JCM for V3/M3?

How to create sweat on the skin with the built-in shader-capabilities in DAZ Studio?
    During experimenting with ambient, diffuse and specular color values I didn't accomplish a convincing result.
    Hell, how they depend upon each other... :-( Do you know some written tutorials?

Thanks in advance and somewhere'll be always a solution :-)

Addendum: I'm still using DAZ Studio 4, I didn't tried 4.5 - is it worth?

I have answered as much as I can over here Daz Studio Basics 101. New Users help for starting with DS. deloquencia. Just so we don't go off topic too much. :)

Post edited by Szark on
    edited July 2012

Szark said:
    Hello,
    I stumbled not only about a few questions according DAZ Studio [...]

I have answered as much as I can over here Daz Studio Basics 101. New Users help for starting with DS. deloquencia. Just so we don't go off topic too much. :)
    Yes, indeed the questions've been a little off topic, thank you.
    So back to posing :-)

I think that could be helpful like the back- and semi-transparent foreground before.
    Setting feets to the ground with a proper balance in mind too I'm using a flat plane at the ground, instead of only relying at the built-in meshed floor.
    It looks like this. You see how the toes and the heel clips a little through the ground plane following the weight, balance and twist.

Feets-to-Ground-Overview_small.jpg
    750 x 473 - 43K
  • evilproducerevilproducer Posts: 9,040
    edited December 1969

My latest...finished working on the pose (I think...and that doesn't include the facial expression), and started putting the scene together. Lantios Lights 2 really makes the whole thing pop. Any and all feedback is appreciated.

As far as the pose is concerned, it's definitely closer to balanced now, and I've also tried to make it more dynamic-looking, as if he's in the midst of turning around.

I must have missed this one earlier. Did you have a reference image? Looks very dynamic. I think the lighting has that nice outdoorsy look to it.

Whoops...was re-reading this thread and came upon this post. You missed my previous posts, but somehow I missed this response! Sorry for late reply, and thank you for your comments!

You can see my reference pic on page 5 of this thread (near the bottom), or in the official entries thread. Yours looks good so far...looking forward to the completed version. :)

Found them! Looking good!

edited December 1969

Knock! Knock! Anybody home? I've not seen any lights on or cars in the driveway for a bit. Hello!!
    Hmm... everybody must be at work. Those poses should look pretty darn good when they finish.

:cheese: %-P

edited December 1969

Sorry did someone say something. :coolcheese:

edited December 1969

PSssttt.... hey buddy, over here. Just ignore the crazy man at the front door. He only whats to see new WIP's and stuff.
    He can be a real busybody sometimes...

edited December 1969

We're all withholding our WIP's for the time being in order to stun you with amazing final entries in a few days... ;-)

(If only that were true...in my case I just haven't gotten much further with it)

edited December 1969

Finally found mine some clothes to wear.

Used Daz 4 with Victoria 4
    Also V4 Arabesque skates and Louisiana dress

mirai-coc-210.jpg
    415 x 610 - 32K
    20120722_spin_005.png
    544 x 800 - 469K
  • ChoholeChohole Posts: 33,604
    edited December 1969

Good thinking there, hadn't though of using that dress as a skating dress.

Looking really good. I am really impressed with the images we are getting from this month's contest.

edited December 1969

kurisu2112
    Wowie :-) good job and the cloth make it all

edited July 2012

WoW! Really impressed. That's good. I agree chohole, great work this month.

Cross Post with Sasje: We ALL agree.

Post edited by Jaderail on
    edited December 1969

Yes, this is really beautiful: pose, expression, clothing, composition...everything! A figure skater needs to make her performance look effortless, even though of course it takes a great deal of athleticism and concentration. It must be tough to show all this in a render, but I think you just about nailed it. Hard to think of any room for improvement (although something tells me you'll find a way to make it even better).

Maybe you could do something to make the skate seem more like it's actually sitting on the ice? Like a postworked skate trail or something?

edited December 1969

That is one good suggestion. Thank you for that Scott.

edited December 1969

Very nice Kurisu :)

edited December 1969

Thanks to everyone for the comments.
    There's still a couple of days left, will try to improve it before adding it to the competion thread.

edited December 1969

Hello,

I decided to come forward without a big bang at the last contests day ;-)
    The two brief encounters have been first drafts for getting to know what's really possible to pose.
    While I've been posing the encounters, I've been posing Synchrony in Motion.
    The reference image is also from Paul Taylors Dance Company.

During the last evenings I've got almost to the half of it.
    The headache is not so much the posing than it's the perspective itself.
    I've been posing in flat front view, like I wrote in the post about the front- and background reference images.

What do you think? Am I on the right path? Do you've got tips for the perspective?
    Do you see something misplaced, mis-bended or mis-twisted?

Thanks in advance and I wish all of you some good, last days for the contest :-)

Posing-Synchrony-in-Motion_Reference.jpg
    750 x 472 - 56K
    Posting-Sync-in-Motion_Draft-2.jpg
    750 x 500 - 72K
    edited December 1969

Hello,

I decided to come forward without a big bang at the last contests day ;-)
    The two brief encounters have been first drafts for getting to know what's really possible to pose.
    While I've been posing the encounters, I've been posing Synchrony in Motion.
    The reference image is also from Paul Taylors Dance Company.

During the last evenings I've got almost to the half of it.
    The headache is not so much the posing than it's the perspective itself.
    I've been posing in flat front view, like I wrote in the post about the front- and background reference images.

What do you think? Am I on the right path? Do you've got tips for the perspective?
    Do you see something misplaced, mis-bended or mis-twisted?

Thanks in advance and I wish all of you some good, last days for the contest :-)

This looks really good. :)
    Maybe a few small things, the woman’s upper body is actually bend a little bit to the back
    And the male is not looking up to the hands but more looking to her.
    Maybe some shadow on the ground so you can see that they are connected with the ground.
    That’s all
    edited December 1969

This is going to be my entry, I just have to find a title for it.:-)

20120722_spin_007.jpg
    544 x 800 - 201K
    mirai-coc-210.jpg
    415 x 610 - 32K