DAZ Install Manager (DIM) 1.1.0.7, Now Available!

Comments

• Miss BMiss B Posts: 3,071
    edited December 1969

jakiblue said:
    namffuak said:
    jakiblue said:
    confused...what exactly does this one mean??

"10) Implemented #IM-27/CS143447: Implemented thumbnail support in the Product Info Tip; actions for retrieving thumbnail(s) have been added to the view context menus, when connected"

Select a product or group of products, then right-click (any products, on any of the three tabs) and select 'retrieve thumbnails'. DIM will hit the store and grab product thumbnails - and when you mouse over the item in the tab you will see the thumbnail as well as the order number, date, and tags and such.

I did the whole shebang in about 10 to 15 minutes.

WOWZA!!!

that is brilliant....I've never seen that before - is it brand new in this version only? I used to have to hit the "read me" arrow for older products that i was unsure of the name...and of course, many of the older things don't have online readme's so i would have no idea what it was. LOL.
    Yes, this is brand new to this new update, and boy am I thrilled! :coolsmile:

It's so nice to be able to see what an item is without having to boot up my external to check my promos folders to see what any particular item is.

Good move DAZ team. :coolsmirk:

• barbultbarbult Posts: 23,049
    edited December 1969

barbult said:
    Jaderail said:
    Yep DIM needs a Refresh to Read the Config file. Sorry I forgot that step.

If you are referring to the issue with the Public Build filter not working, refreshing did not fix it. Closing and reopening DIM did not fix it, either. Is there something else I should try?

The Public Beta that is currently showing up in Install Manager lacks the tag for it to be filtered. It also older than the current release. Next Public Beta will behave correctly.
    I stand corrected, which looks something like the image below. The tags have been fixed on the previous Public Beta.
    Yes, the tags on the old Beta have been fixed. Thank you. I used to have to hide them. Now the filter makes it easy to turn them on or off. It was a nice addition to a great Install Manager.
  • kyoto kidkyoto kid Posts: 40,515
    edited December 1969

...OK finally found a logfile for yesterday and it looks like the update never occurred as the version shown is 1.01.115 not 1.1.0.7.

Furthermore there were a lot of product error statements mentioning that all components for the latest "Public Build [Beta]" of Daz 4.6 (4.6.2.120) "has invalid tag: PublicBuild" The last statements are "Saving Account Settings and "Install Manager Exited"

That still doesn't explain the following:

Why didn't the update work as according to the logfile I am still running the last older version?

Why would an "invalid tag" warning remove the desktop icon?

Why were the "Imageformats", :Service" and "Uninstallers" folders in C/Programmefiles(X86)DAZ3D/DAZ3dDIM1 empty?

Why are there no "Filters" or "Thumbnails" folders in in C:/Users/Public/Public Documents/DAZ3D/InstallManager ?

Why are there no "Settings" or "Invalid Products" folders, nor do the List.ini and Log.txt files in C:/users//AppData/Roaming/DAZ3D/INstallManager?

I really need some help here as it looks like something in the update process corrupted everything related to the DIM

• frank0314frank0314 Posts: 13,189
    edited December 1969

Download it from your product library and try reinstalling that way

• fixmypcmikefixmypcmike Posts: 19,565
    edited December 1969

Kyoto Kid said:
    ...OK finally found a logfile for yesterday and it looks like the update never occurred as the version shown is 1.01.115 not 1.1.0.7.

Furthermore there were a lot of product error statements mentioning that all components for the latest "Public Build [Beta]" of Daz 4.6 (4.6.2.120) "has invalid tag: PublicBuild" The last statements are "Saving Account Settings and "Install Manager Exited"

That still doesn't explain the following:

Why didn't the update work as according to the logfile I am still running the last older version?

Why would an "invalid tag" warning remove the desktop icon?

Why were the "Imageformats", :Service" and "Uninstallers" folders in C/Programmefiles(X86)DAZ3D/DAZ3dDIM1 empty?

Why are there no "Filters" or "Thumbnails" folders in in C:/Users/Public/Public Documents/DAZ3D/InstallManager ?

Why are there no "Settings" or "Invalid Products" folders, nor do the List.ini and Log.txt files in C:/users//AppData/Roaming/DAZ3D/INstallManager?

I really need some help here as it looks like something in the update process corrupted everything related to the DIM

What happened was the uninstall of the old version succeeded, but the install of the new version failed. Can you download it from your Product Library and try the install again? Don't try any registry cleaning, just download an try the installer.

Do you have a dual video card (NVidia card plus Intel onboard chip?) If so, make sure the drivers are up-to-date -- in particular the file Windows\SysWOW64\nvinit.dll
    The Invalid Tag message has nothing to do with the install failure
    The successful uninstall and failed install left the empty folders; service is supposed to be empty

edited December 1969

...I had to do that for the last update as well and am wondering if somehow that corrupted something.

For one it looks like part of the old version was never uninstalled before the new version was. The Uninstaller folder is empty so I cannot run an uninstaller to remove what is currently there before installing the new version. Not sure I can just delete all the old version files and folders without having to mess around with the registry files (something I do not feel I am skilled enough to do).

edited December 1969

You don't need to mess with the registry or delete the folders that are there, just download from the Product Library and install.

edited December 1969

..OK went ahead and did that, however still do not see the following items:

In C:/Users/Public/Public Documents/DAZ3D/InstallManager - still do not see the “Filters” or “Thumbnails” folders but there is one titled "Downloads" which I do not see on the screen shot Vaskania provided in her post on the previous page.

edited December 1969

Kyoto Kid said:
    ..OK went ahead and did that, however still do not see the following items:

In C:/Users/Public/Public Documents/DAZ3D/InstallManager - still do not see the “Filters” or “Thumbnails” folders but there is one titled "Downloads" which I do not see on the screen shot Vaskania provided in her post on the previous page.

Did you launch DIM and try installing the Default Install Manager Filters and downloading thumbnails? I didn't look to see if those folders existed before the items are installed.

edited December 1969

...OK that got the filters. Still had to DL them first. Don't see anything for installing Thumbnails though.

• nDelphinDelphi Posts: 1,845
    edited December 1969

Kyoto Kid said:
    ...OK that got the filters. Still had to DL them first. Don't see anything for installing Thumbnails though.

That was explained here:

http://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/40141/#588609

edited December 1969

...OK thanks. looks like everything's good then.

• SzarkSzark Posts: 10,634
    edited December 1969

nDelphi said:
    Kyoto Kid said:

That was explained here:

http://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/40141/#588609
    Thanks. ;) Very cool. That I like so much better. A great improvement for easy recognition.

edited April 2014

You can also customize the thumbnails if you don't like the one that it gives. The thumbs are stored here C:\Users\Public\Documents\DAZ 3D\InstallManager\Thumbnails. Just replace with the same name

Post edited by frank0314 on
    edited December 1969

go away...yeah cool. Thanks Frank

edited December 1969

just updated the post to tell where the file are

edited December 1969

Frank0314 said:
    just updated the post to tell where the file are
    Easy peassy. Thanks again Frank seriously customisable. This update has been awesome for me. I am glad I became a DIM convert. Everything so far has been easy with getting DIM what I want it to do.
  • JaderailJaderail Posts: 0
    edited December 1969

Okay I just Checked my DIM and I see that for me the Beta filter defaulted to off. As I now wish to see the next Beta's I ticked as I should. Here is my question. If I decide to not use the Beta I will still need to Hide that version if I wish to see the Next Beta Version that is Released in the future, is that correct?

Hm... I need a Database manager that will allow me to drop the Thumbnails into it. That and we now need that, thumbnails, as a option in the CSV export function.

• namffuaknamffuak Posts: 4,040
    edited December 1969

I think the DIM designer(s) and implementer(s) need a round of applause - this is, overall, an impressive method of resolving a number of outstanding requests and/or complaints with one very nicely written application.

• barbultbarbult Posts: 23,049
    edited December 1969

namffuak said:
    I think the DIM designer(s) and implementer(s) need a round of applause - this is, overall, an impressive method of resolving a number of outstanding requests and/or complaints with one very nicely written application.

Yes.
    clap-clap-clap-clap!

• SpitSpit Posts: 2,342
    edited April 2014

Installed. Love the thumbnail bit! That's a lifesaver, thanks!

Okay, for the 'problem'. Filters. I used to have a bunch of Paths in the filter list. The only Path there now is My Library. I guess I can put them in through the 'edit my filters' selection (it brings up a text file to type in) but why can't DIM offer me the paths it already knows about to add to the list? In fact, IIRC, you used to be able to add the current path to the list?

And in Settings/Installation Paths right-click on a path...what is "Fix Installed File Registry" for?

Anyone have the link to the Docu page for filter syntax? I just can't get this thing to work.

-------------------

Later: Okay you still can add current path to the list but it seems you must make a subfolder. So now I have two working paths to runtimes to filter by. I'll add more later. But now the original 'my Library' path will not work anymore. I haven't changed the text. It won't work in its original position in the main menu and it doesn't work if I put it in the folder with my other paths.

My Library has a different path than my other runtimes. Don't know if that makes a difference. Before I had almost all of them in the filters menu and they all worked.

Post edited by Spit on
    edited December 1969

Spit said:
    Installed. Love the thumbnail bit! That's a lifesaver, thanks!

Okay, for the 'problem'. Filters. I used to have a bunch of Paths in the filter list. The only Path there now is My Library. I guess I can put them in through the 'edit my filters' selection (it brings up a text file to type in) but why can't DIM offer me the paths it already knows about to add to the list? In fact, IIRC, you used to be able to add the current path to the list?

And in Settings/Installation Paths right-click on a path...what is "Fix Installed File Registry" for?

Anyone have the link to the Docu page for filter syntax? I just can't get this thing to work.

-------------------

Later: Okay you still can add current path to the list but it seems you must make a subfolder. So now I have two working paths to runtimes to filter by. I'll add more later. But now the original 'my Library' path will not work anymore. I haven't changed the text. It won't work in its original position in the main menu and it doesn't work if I put it in the folder with my other paths.

My Library has a different path than my other runtimes. Don't know if that makes a difference. Before I had almost all of them in the filters menu and they all worked.

I'm not sure what you're saying about the filters -- are these custom filters you made to filter by install location?

"Fix Installed File Registry" is for installing with DIM into a location which might also have the same item installed without DIM. When DIM installs a file, if it sees the file already exists, it assumes the file is used by more than one product, so it keeps track of how many times it installs that file so as not to remove a file that is used by more than one product when it uninstalls only one product. It tracks this info in a file called InstallManagerFileRegister.json. So if you install a product manually and then install the same product with DIM, then if you update or uninstall the product with DIM those files won't be uninstalled. "Fix Installed File Registry" goes through your DIM installs and corrects the tally so that if you uninstall all the products in DIM that use the file, the file gets uninstalled.

• rbtwhizrbtwhiz Posts: 2,171
    edited December 1969

namffuak said:

Thank you. Its nice to read positive feedback once in a while.

Spit said:

It would be best if you used the actual text in the interface, or posted screenshots, to describe the problem instead of trying to summarize. Some important details are being left out, or being described using language that is inconsistent with the application, so it is difficult to know exactly what you are describing.

Install Manager does not have an "'edit my filters' selection" anywhere in its User Interface (UI). It does, however, provide a "Manage Filters..." option in the Filter Menu, displayed when you click the Filter Menu Button, which opens an OS file browser (i.e. Windows Explorer or Finder) to the folder [for the current account] that custom filters are stored in. Install Manager provides no option within its UI, nor does it contain any code, to delete a custom filter that has been created - it leaves [filter] file management entirely up to the functionality provided by the OS file browser. So, it cannot be Install Manager that deleted any custom filters that may be missing - you would have had to do it (accidentally?), or the OS would have (i.e. restoring the system to a version prior to when you saved the filters).

One possibility is... The custom filters are stored separately for each account, so if you are in a different account than you were when you saved the filters, you won't see them - you would need to manually copy the filters [files] from the account [folder] they were created in to the one you are currently using.

The only text file Install Manager opens is the log, when you click the "Show Log..." button in the Settings dialog, so I'm not sure what you are describing when you say "it brings up a text file to type in" - except perhaps that you opened a text file from the OS file browser window, after choosing the "Manage Filters..." option.

As for why Install Manager cannot "offer [you] the paths it already knows about"... I'm not quite sure what you're asking. Are you wanting some kind of auto-complete in the filter field? If so, you can request it by submitting a ticket, here. Be sure to indicate that it is a feature request for Install Manager, and that you choose Technical Support for the Contact Department. Also, please understand that a feature requested does not mean a feature implemented.

To clarify, Install Manager has never provided an ability to "add the current path" to any list, so I'm not quite sure what you are referring to. In the Settings dialog, on the Installation page, it does have a drop-down labeled "Current:"... for choosing which of the paths listed above it should be set as the one content will install to, but that doesn't have anything directly to do with filters.

To be completely honest, I'm not even really sure what it is that you are trying to accomplish. The path scope selector, if that is even what you're talking about, can be used to show which packages were installed to a given path. If that is what you are after, you can right click on an installed content package and choose Filter Products > Same Installed To, and it will fill the filter field for you.

For fixing the count of file collisions that occur on any content file installed by Install Manager, maintained in the file registry for a given content install path, so that it reflects the count actually installed by Install Manager itself. If a file collision occurred during the installation of a content package, and is the result of not installing to a "clean" directory, the count of file collisions for a given file can be incremented such that uninstalling with Install Manager (which decrements the count) will not actually remove the file from disk, because the count never reaches 0.

The documentation on advanced filtering syntax is located on the Advanced Filtering page; linked from the Filter Field page.

-Rob

• WilmapWilmap Posts: 2,917
    edited April 2014

deleted

Post edited by Wilmap on
    edited December 1969

rbtwhiz said:

To be completely honest, I'm not even really sure what it is that you are trying to accomplish.
    -Rob

I wanted my runtime/content paths on the search/filter menu.

I apologize for lack of clarity since I was typing while engaged in a discovery process. I can't get a screengrab with my new keyboard (don't know why yet) and the snip tool doesn't grab the menu I was referring to.

I was speaking of the drop down filter menu accessed by clicking to the left of the search box at the top of the main DIM window. Long ago I had added several filters I had searched on to this menu including runtime/content paths.

Opened that menu and saw 'Path My Library'. Clicked on it and only the content installed to My Library appeared in Installed column as expected. I haven't changed users or anything so why 'Path My Library' was there and not the others I had put on the menu very early on shall remain a mystery. Having the one and not the others is the reason I erroneously thought DIM had put 'Path My Library' there and wondered why,if DIM knew about My Library, why did it not know about the other runtime/content paths listed in settings and added them as well.

Yes, I meant 'Manage Filters' which gave me an explorer window with one text item named 'Path My Library' with only the filter path inside. If given an explorer window with a text file I assume one can edit the text file if one knows what to do.

To make a long story less long here's the kicker.

After I typed in a filter for a different runtime path in the search box, verified it was working, and selected 'Save Filter' from the menu, selecting 'Path My Library' no longer worked and only gave me 0 results.

Selected 'Manage Filters' and moved the text file 'Path My Library' into the subfolder DIM had created to contain my 'Save Filter' entry. Still didn't work.

I added several more via searchbox and 'save filter', some by editing the end of the path, others, if a known file in that runtime was easily accessible, by using the right-click on filename in installed column, selecting 'Filter Products'/Same Installed to get the path in the searchbox.

Only when I did a 'Save Filter' on the My Library path that now didn't work, did it start working.

So I guess a heads up would be if you had added filters prior to this build to that menu they may or may not show up. If they do they will work UNTIL you add something new. Probably affects few if any people other than myself.

• rbtwhizrbtwhiz Posts: 2,171
    edited December 1969

Spit said:
    I wanted my runtime/content paths on the search/filter menu.

Then yes, it is the path scope selector that you'll need to use.

Spit said:
    I apologize for lack of clarity since I was typing while engaged in a discovery process. I can't get a screengrab with my new keyboard (don't know why yet) and the snip tool doesn't grab the menu I was referring to.

I find Jing to be pretty useful for that sort of thing. I use it often.

Yes, I meant 'Manage Filters' which gave me an explorer window with one text item named 'Path My Library' with only the filter path inside. If given an explorer window with a text file I assume one can edit the text file if one knows what to do.

Certainly. When I added the filter support, I [quite intentionally] made the files easy to read/edit.

To make a long story less long here's the kicker.

After I typed in a filter for a different runtime path in the search box, verified it was working, and selected 'Save Filter' from the menu, selecting 'Path My Library' no longer worked and only gave me 0 results.

Selected 'Manage Filters' and moved the text file 'Path My Library' into the subfolder DIM had created to contain my 'Save Filter' entry. Still didn't work.

I added several more via searchbox and 'save filter', some by editing the end of the path, others, if a known file in that runtime was easily accessible, by using the right-click on filename in installed column, selecting 'Filter Products'/Same Installed to get the path in the searchbox.

Only when I did a 'Save Filter' on the My Library path that now didn't work, did it start working.

So I guess a heads up would be if you had added filters prior to this build to that menu they may or may not show up. If they do they will work UNTIL you add something new. Probably affects few if any people other than myself.

The one thing I feel needs to be pointed out here, is that it is important to get the syntax of the filter exactly correct. Every character can impact the result. If you are manually editing the text file that holds a filter (in a text editor), you need to be aware of every character you add. A single extra space in the wrong place can cause different results... and so will adding a carriage return (CR) or linefeed (LF). The text file that holds the filter should only have 1 line in it. If, in your text editor, you place your cursor on the first line and you press the down arrow key on your keyboard... and the cursor moves down to another line... that is where your problem is - delete the extra lines.

-Rob

• Lissa_xyzLissa_xyz Posts: 6,116
    edited April 2014

@cjones & rbtwhiz
    Thanks for the explanations a few pages back.
    Since I'm the sole user of my PC, I'll give the override a shot and back up the original folder just in case.

Love the thumbnail addition, btw. :D

Post edited by Lissa_xyz on
  • jakibluejakiblue Posts: 7,281
    edited December 1969

just curious - is anyone noticing any difficulties TODAY in particular?

in DIM, the "install" bit is veeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeery slow. In fact, a product is currently stuck on 91% installed.

And DS itself has stuck on the opening screen, the "connecting to CMS" bit.

I'm just wondering if something is going on today.

• Lissa_xyzLissa_xyz Posts: 6,116
    edited April 2014

jakiblue said:
    just curious - is anyone noticing any difficulties TODAY in particular?

in DIM, the "install" bit is veeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeery slow. In fact, a product is currently stuck on 91% installed.

And DS itself has stuck on the opening screen, the "connecting to CMS" bit.

I'm just wondering if something is going on today.

Turn CMS off and see if that helps. I keep the CMS perma-off and set to manual mode via windows services (I don't use smart content at all), and I've never had an issue like that.

For windows its start menu > all programs > daz 3d > daz content management service > stop.
    For a mac, I have no clue. lol

Post edited by Lissa_xyz on
    edited December 1969

rbtwhiz said:

The one thing I feel needs to be pointed out here, is that it is important to get the syntax of the filter exactly correct. Every character can impact the result. If you are manually editing the text file that holds a filter (in a text editor), you need to be aware of every character you add. A single extra space in the wrong place can cause different results... and so will adding a carriage return (CR) or linefeed (LF). The text file that holds the filter should only have 1 line in it. If, in your text editor, you place your cursor on the first line and you press the down arrow key on your keyboard... and the cursor moves down to another line... that is where your problem is - delete the extra lines.

-Rob

Having been through this before I was very careful but it is certainly possible I did something.

Thanks for the links.