More Non-photorealisitic Renders (NPR II)

Comments

• tkdroberttkdrobert Posts: 3,532

Batman vs the Joker.

• JamesJAB said:

Here's one I did that fits the theme for this thread.

Wow. This is really vivid.

• 3Diva3Diva Posts: 11,287
    edited July 2020

I don't render just environments very often but I was testing some of my shaders on this and thought it came out kind of cool. :)

ELR NPR w Space Environment 1 HDRI B.png
    1000 x 1300 - 2M
    Post edited by 3Diva on
  • tkdrobert said:

Batman vs the Joker.

Cool colors and I like the background treatment. Gotta be honest, though, this one is just missing your usual "touch," if you know what I mean. It's al. just a little stiff and less energetic than your typical work. Joker is almost as burly as Batman (he should be a lot thinner) and the poses need just a few tweaks. Batman's abdomen and chest should be pulled back to make him look more dynamic. And Joker's neck/head should be tilted back with the impact of the elbow to his face (and a side-to-side setting on the jaw would help, too). Finally, motion to the cape would really help add some movement. I think this is a cool quickie, but it just needs that "Robert" touch.

edited July 2020
    tkdrobert said:

Batman vs the Joker.

Cool colors and I like the background treatment. Gotta be honest, though, this one is just missing your usual "touch," if you know what I mean. It's al. just a little stiff and less energetic than your typical work. Joker is almost as burly as Batman (he should be a lot thinner) and the poses need just a few tweaks. Batman's abdomen and chest should be pulled back to make him look more dynamic. And Joker's neck/head should be tilted back with the impact of the elbow to his face (and a side-to-side setting on the jaw would help, too). Finally, motion to the cape would really help add some movement. I think this is a cool quickie, but it just needs that "Robert" touch.

Well, they can't all be masterpeices.  This started out as an experiment.  I was revisiting some old M4 assests to see if I could make them work with my upgraded skills.  In some ways the answer was yes and others no.  This cape and cowl work well with Batman static, but not so well in action.  I played with the cape morphs for what seemed like an eternity.  The pose was a canned one, which I did enhance, but apparently not enouph.  Another fan of mine suggested I add more impact to Joker's jaw.  Good point.  Your point about Joker's bulk is noted.  I was too concerned with other parts of the image that I din't pay that much attenion to that detail.  I agree that in most modern day depictions, he is portrayed as skinny.  However, if you look at his entire history, that's not always the case.  That being said, I do like the skinny look better.  Next time....   Also, I did this in IRAY.  I normally do batman in 3Delight.

Post edited by tkdrobert on
  • duckbombduckbomb Posts: 585
    edited July 2020

Shoot... I'm sorry... I forgot that there's a 3D Comic Books thread, also, and I think it fits better over there...  I'll post there.  My bad.  Ignore this lol.

Post edited by duckbomb on
  • My latest work. I shoulda been posting here a while ago, I've been doing this for years

TheSarlaccPit.png
    1920 x 1080 - 3M

My latest work. I shoulda been posting here a while ago, I've been doing this for years

Cool.

My latest work. I shoulda been posting here a while ago, I've been doing this for years

LOL I know the feeling... hey, this is AMAZING!  It looks like Borderlands haha... VERY cool look!

edited August 2020

Very cool! It's a neat stylized character! Is the linework hand-drawn?

Post edited by 3Diva on
    edited August 2020

This one is just for fun - just me playing around and experimenting. :) A very rare "darker" image from me - both in concept and execution (pun intended lol). :P (Don't worry, she wins in the end! heheh)

ELR NPR - G8F G8M Celani 8 vs Orc Background - L2 E3 D3 E5 A.png
    1000 x 1300 - 1M
    Post edited by 3Diva on
  • HeadwaxHeadwax Posts: 9,922
    edited August 2020

that's a terrific dramatic image Divamakeup

wow great patina on your character, i'd like to see more of your work

tkdrobert said:

Batman vs the Joker.

superb use of negative space in this

Post edited by Headwax on

just holding the carrara banner up

• ArtiniArtini Posts: 8,766
    edited August 2020

Trying something new. Below is Underbelly - https://www.daz3d.com/underbelly-for-genesis-8-male

rendered with Post Process Line. I have exagerated line width to see it better.

I would like to achieve something better, like Algonvician, but still seeking for the pipeline.

What do you think?

Unerbelly01pic01.jpg
    1920 x 1080 - 318K
    Unerbelly01pic02.jpg
    1920 x 1080 - 325K
    Unerbelly01pic03.jpg
    1920 x 1080 - 324K
    Unerbelly01pic04.jpg
    1920 x 1080 - 326K
    Unerbelly01pic05.jpg
    1920 x 1080 - 322K
    Unerbelly01pic06.jpg
    1920 x 1080 - 323K
    Post edited by Artini on
    Headwax said:

that's a terrific dramatic image Divamakeup

wow great patina on your character, i'd like to see more of your work

tkdrobert said:

Batman vs the Joker.

superb use of negative space in this

Thank you! :D It wasn't meant to be that dark at first but I was playing with different looks and it just kind of ...got darker. lol I think it suits the mood of what's happening but the background might have gotten a little too dark, as you lose the nice silhouettes a little. I'll have to remember to keep a better eye on silhouettes when I do the art for my comic. That's why I enjoy doing this "for fun" and "experimental" stuff - I can experiment and see what works and what doesn't. :) 

Thank you for the nice comment on it! :D

edited August 2020
    Headwax said:

just holding the carrara banner up

"It's just a button" lol So cute! :D And that teddybear wearing a "Borne to Ride" t-shirt is too funny! (Is born with an "e" a regional thing?)

All in all it's pretty cute. I think the texture overlay makes it look pretty aged, like an antique postcard.

Post edited by 3Diva on
    edited August 2020
    Artini said:

Trying something new. Below is Underbelly - https://www.daz3d.com/underbelly-for-genesis-8-male

I would like to achieve something better, like Algonvician, but still seeking for the pipeline.

What do you think?

I like the direction you're going with it. I think it has a little bit of a "Grand Theft Auto" look to it. I would go thinner with the lines though. Also, you'll probably want the character's outlines to be thicker than the background's outlines (or even no outlines for the background and thin outlines for the figures/characters and foreground elements). The linework looks like it could create some interesting looks. I'd not heard of Post Process Line before. I guess it's an Unreal Engine only thing? :)

You might try two separate render passes - one with just the background and one with just the figure and then composite them together in a program like Gimp or Photoshop. That way you can take total control of the line width for both the background and the figure. This style looks like it has a lot of potential - very cool! I hope you keep experimenting and post your renders and findings. :)

Post edited by 3Diva on
    edited August 2020

Thanks a lot, Divamakeup. It is from Unity and developer name is Jiffycrew.

I have added Leisa 8 and rendered only the lines. As a full screen effect, it is interesting, because it reveals a lot of details.

It detects both outlines and rich interior feature lines of objects.
    It incorporates an advanced computer graphics feature line extraction technique
    introduced in the "Suggestive Contours for Conveying Shape" SIGGRAPH paper.
    The Suggestive Contour is a complex differential geometry mathematical definition
    to find view-dependent surface inflection points.

Leisa801pic01.jpg
    1920 x 1080 - 161K
    Leisa801pic02.jpg
    1920 x 1080 - 174K
    Leisa801pic03.jpg
    1920 x 1080 - 174K
    Post edited by Artini on
    Artini said:

Thanks a lot, Divamakeup. It is from Unity and developer name is Jiffycrew.

I have added Leisa 8 and rendered only the lines. As a full screen effect, it is interesting, because it reveals a lot of details.

It detects both outlines and rich interior feature lines of objects.
    It incorporates an advanced computer graphics feature line extraction technique
    introduced in the "Suggestive Contours for Conveying Shape" SIGGRAPH paper.
    The Suggestive Contour is a complex differential geometry mathematical definition
    to find view-dependent surface inflection points.

That's neat! I like that it can do line width variations. It seems like most automated processes of creating line work often don't have much ability to create variations in the lines like that - tapering and thickening in different areas.

I think a nice "workflow" might be to render the scene without lines then a second render pass of just the character's lines - like above. You could then add the lines over the regular scene render and make any adjustments to the line that you like - darkening or lightening them, changing their color, "erasing" some of the areas that might get a bit too "busy" or dark, etc. That gives you a lot of room to adjust the lines to your liking. :D

Artini said:

What do you think?

This looks good.  I agree with Diva about the line thickness.

Thanks a lot for the comments, Divamakeup and tkdrobert.

Will do more experiments.

edited August 2020

This looks really interesting:

https://player.vimeo.com/video/274818189

Does anyone have any experience with this? https://artineering.io/publications/MNPR/

Post edited by 3Diva on
    3Diva said:

Does anyone have any experience with this? https://artineering.io/publications/MNPR/

I don't even understand the website... is it a render engine, or a whole software suite?  I'm super interested in it, I love stuff like this... hmmm, might have to dig in further...

Image may contain: one or more people

thanks @3Diva :)

@Artini - that's a good effect - line width looks perfect. I wonder how it would look without shadows?

Thanks, Headwax.

edited August 2020
    3Diva said:

It looks interesting, but they said it is for Maya, so it is out of my price range.

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLnr8w_xl4rdu6k2U2v4qejw2-etbiQ8L3

Post edited by Artini on
  • HylasHylas Posts: 4,767

Love it, very cool!

• thedoctorthedoctor Posts: 195

Here are four instant renders from TwinMotion showing a variety of filter options:

Render Style 01

Render Style 02

Render Style 03

thedoctor said:

Here are four instant renders from TwinMotion showing a variety of filter options:

Render Style 01

Render Style 02

Render Style 03

Those look very nice.  The software is way out of my price range. 

• thedoctorthedoctor Posts: 195
    edited August 2020
    tkdrobert said:
    thedoctor said:

Those look very nice.  The software is way out of my price range. 

Perhaps you didn't realize that you can download FOR FREE a full featured unlimited time version that you can use to your heart's content for personal non-commercial projects. If you want a perpetual commercial license it is $499. 

It is a pretty amazing product and no rendering required. What you see is what you get and you can change your lighting and effects instantly.

Post edited by thedoctor on
This discussion has been closed.