Slow saving and loading, but only inside the Daz studio folder structure

mats76mats76 Posts: 289

Daz studio has become slower the last 2 weeks or so for me, loading,saving and selecting items in scene tab. Today I figured out that my Daz studio only is slow when saving inside my daz 3d library and my library, for example saving a weareble outfit took 9 seconds when saving to my library/presents/wearebles while saving the same outfit to the rootfolder of the drive took less then a second. 

If anyone have a clue it would be much appriciated. 

Post edited by mats76 on

Comments

• Blackbirdx61Blackbirdx61 Posts: 300

I would suspect corrupted files or sectors, so not a DAZ problem per se, have you scanned your HDD?

Do you have a backup of your DAZ Library, preferable on an external drive?

My first troubleshooting step would be to delete the library. Defrag the Disk overnight, and reinstall off the BAK first thing in the morning

A Defrag by itself obviously wont solve corrupted files, but it would eliminate bad sectors if thats whats slowing you down.

• mats76mats76 Posts: 289

I would suspect corrupted files or sectors, so not a DAZ problem per se, have you scanned your HDD?

Do you have a backup of your DAZ Library, preferable on an external drive?

My first troubleshooting step would be to delete the library. Defrag the Disk overnight, and reinstall off the BAK first thing in the morning

A Defrag by itself obviously wont solve corrupted files, but it would eliminate bad sectors if thats whats slowing you down.

Thank you for the advice.

It is a 2 tb SSD and is only slow to save in my daz 3d library and my library, saving to any folder outside of the Daz structure on the same drive works as it should. Could corrupt files affect  saving as it is creating a new file? 

Daz studio itself is installed on te C drive (also ssd) and my daz 3d library and my library on the bigger ssd and maybe that can cause the issue somehow?

Update: I made a new My Library folder on one of my another ssd drive and tried to save a wearble to that folder instead, that worked and saving went super quick. So I made the new My Library folder the official one inside studio: content directory manager, the result was that saving to the new My Library folder became super slow.

So something inside studio is causing this.

• fixmypcmikefixmypcmike Posts: 19,565
    mats76 said:

Update: I made a new My Library folder on one of my another ssd drive and tried to save a wearble to that folder instead, that worked and saving went super quick. So I made the new My Library folder the official one inside studio: content directory manager, the result was that saving to the new My Library folder became super slow.

When you save something outside of a known content directory it saves with absolute paths, while inside a known content directory it uses relative paths.  I can't see any reason there would be a drastic time difference between them.  Does it happen for anything you save?

• algovincianalgovincian Posts: 2,575

Is the CMS (database) monitoring or indexing or something? I'm on my phone atm otherwise I would do some testing myself (will do so as soon as I have the time). In general, I've also experienced slowdowns (more than just due to the amount of content I have) for loading figures, applying poses, undoing actions, etc.

- Greg

mats76 said:

When you save something outside of a known content directory it saves with absolute paths, while inside a known content directory it uses relative paths.  I can't see any reason there would be a drastic time difference between them.  Does it happen for anything you save?

It is not the same diffrence when saving properties for example, that it is about 50% slower. What I have noticed is that about 2 weeks ago everything in daz has suddely a bit of delay.

Choosing a character in scen tab has a deley whit windows blue spinning circle showing up. Loading G3M that used to load almost instantly (use it only for clothing convertion so almost no morphs installed) takes 10 times longer to load and causes studio to take a 1-2 minute not responding break with the windows spinning blue circle appear.  

edited July 2020

Is the CMS (database) monitoring or indexing or something? I'm on my phone atm otherwise I would do some testing myself (will do so as soon as I have the time). In general, I've also experienced slowdowns (more than just due to the amount of content I have) for loading figures, applying poses, undoing actions, etc.

- Greg

How do I check if CMS is indexing, monitoring?

My issue with slowdowns, delays suddenly appeared from one day to another, the usual slowdown from a huge library I have learned to live with (most of the time anyway smiley)

Post edited by mats76 on
  • algovincianalgovincian Posts: 2,575

You will see multiple instances of postgres.exe running in the processes tab of the Task Manager (Windows) - this is CMS.

In some quick testing, I didn't notice any difference when saving inside my content directory vs. outside the content directory but on the same drive.

- Greg

You will see multiple instances of postgres.exe running in the processes tab of the Task Manager (Windows) - this is CMS.

In some quick testing, I didn't notice any difference when saving inside my content directory vs. outside the content directory but on the same drive.

- Greg

Thank you for explaining yes

I have 9 postgres.exe running in Task manager, but only 1 of them uses processor power (18%) when saving. 

• Sorry for the necro, but I too discovered this today. When I create a new Base Directory, saving takes long. When unmapped from there (within Studio), it works as it should. Anyone with knowledge would be greatly appreciated, because I have been dealing with this issue for years, across multiple builds. So, it is a 100% Studio problem.

• edited February 2022

In the last 2 weeks my system has slowed to a crawl when loading a character.  I haven't really changed anything.  I looked and found that I have 7 instances of postgres.exe running.  I uninstalled everything and reinstalled everything.  There are some things that don't load through DIM because they are from the Ren*tica site.  I haven't downloaded anything new from there so it is a Daz issue.

Anyone have any ideas?

I've noticed a splash screen (I can't read what it says because it comes on and disappears so quickly) that I hadn't seen before a couple of weeks ago.

Post edited by karlsfriend_f7ccaca9e2 on
  • Multiple PostgreSQL instances is normal. Are you geting any errors on loading the figures? Is Genesis 8 better or worse than 8.1?

• Richard Haseltine said:

Multiple PostgreSQL instances is normal. Are you geting any errors on loading the figures? Is Genesis 8 better or worse than 8.1?

It seems to be either.  8.1 is especially slow though.  It literally takes 1-3 minutes to load a character.  Once it loads everything else seems okay.  I can pose characters, move things around, etc. with no issues.

Saving a scene takes a while too.

As an aside.  I updated my Nvidia drivers as well.  Everything runs on SSD drives and I am using a RTX 3090 (a gift from my bro).  Rendering is wicked fast and I can render huge scenes with several characters in minutes instead of hours. 

Loading scenery or props takes about the same amount of time.  It just seems to be the characters.  When I reinstalled Daz I purposely didn't install as many morphs as I've had in the past.

So, I'm not sure.

• One to three minutes is not that slow, I'm afraid, if there are a lot of inter-related properties on the figure.

• If I turn off the CMS, the saving is onyl some seconds or instant. If CMS is on and Smart Content is available, saving anything is extremely slow, more minutes, sometimes even 5. So it is not about the duf file, it is about CMS.

• 3Diva3Diva Posts: 11,287

I hate to necro this thread but I had to say thank you for the OP's post! I need to save about a hundred Shader Presets and each one was taking nearly a full minute to save each preset. After finding this post I deced to save the Shader Presets to an unmapped folder instead and then move them into the Daz Library after - and it worked great! It sped up saving each shader preset from about a minute each preset save to about 4 seconds! Thank you very much for this post!