Carrara Dynamic Hair

13»

Comments

• DartanbeckDartanbeck Posts: 21,209
    edited December 1969

I was wondering if frame rate might have a play on this. I just always run at 30fps. So you're saying to try switching to 24 and back again after calculating simulation? Or perhaps simulate in one, then switch to the other? Hmmmm... perhaps that helps the simulation engine add interpolation? I'm game!

Thanks, my friend!

Oh... and when are you going to make a new Carrara product? When?
    Well actually, I guess that, since you are making goods for Genesis 2, you are actually, in a way, making things for Carrara! ;)
    Rock On, 3DLust!

edited December 1969

Working out pretty cool as far as being able to try and play with this. Nice enough outside to get a bunch of my spring cleanup going, and messing with this during breaks. Click render and go back outside.

So it's something else. Simulated the hair at 3 frames per second. Then I switched back and forth between a few other frame rates. In the 3d view, it sort of looked like it was going to be glitchy again, but we'll see. It looked really stable at 3fps! LOL I guess... how could it not? ;)

• 3DLust3DLust Posts: 230
    edited December 1969

Cool :) I Hope it works for you - I haven't tried it on really long hair yet, so it will be interesting to see. :)

• DUDUDUDU Posts: 1,945
    edited December 1969

It would be “THE” solution?
    I am in a hurry to see the result, Dart! ;-)

• wetcircuitwetcircuit Posts: 0
    edited December 1969

I like the low frame rate idea... Gonna have to try it just to see... :D

edited December 1969

You know, I would just buy one of the dynamic hair packs from DAZ, but they are not set up for dynamics either.
    It didn't work. I think my hair is bad.

edited April 2014

Sorry it didn't work for you :(

I tried it with long wavy hair and it worked great (runs and hides for cover!)

Post edited by 3DLust on
    edited December 1969

3DLust said:
    Sorry it didn't work for you :(

I tried it with long wavy hair and it worked great (runs and hides for cover!)

You wouldn't want to step me through your process, would you?
    Also, were you using kink and/or clump?
    I'm going to try some different things.

When I tried styling in the curls via guide hairs, I didn't like the look. I liked the curl, but it didn't appear curly along the edges, where the outside silhouette looked flat.

Some things that I've noticed by looking back into the manual:
    My hair is using geometry based, not UV based
    Mine is using Custom placement instead of Uniform, or other settings
    The manual says that it might be easier to create 200 to 1,000 guide hairs for styling, then reduce the number after the style was made.

As I want really long, fairly uniform hair, I simply used 'Reset Hairs' to get them to stick straight out from the scalp. Then I used the brush to get most of the front hair's tips to the back, so they don't crowd the face too much. Then I use drape to let it fall according to my Root, Hair, shape, etc., settings, which I then change after the hair is draped into place, and I like the result, and Convert it. Converting it in the dynamics tab (model room) makes it possible to change the Root, Hair, Shape, etc., controls without changing how it lays in this current state, and it also makes the current state where it goes to when using the "Clear" function.
    After looking at the manual again, I think the the above two things might be part of my dilemma: Geometry based (instead of UV) and custom placement.

• Hermit CrabHermit Crab Posts: 833
    edited April 2014

Hi Dartanbeck,

My contribution to this will probably be useless and I can tell you're busy enough so no need to reply out of courtesy :):).

I looked long and hard at the effect you show on the GIF and it really is difficult to figure out. I have had an animation where stone textures looked speckled and they jittered - but on your GIF the actual hair outlines (eg on the forehead) seem to move quickly from place to place.

Since it doesn't seem to be frame rate I wonder about collision of some kind. In the messing about I've done with cloth, too many vertices colliding cause everything to sizzle. I dipped into the manual and tried making hair but it's too much for me to get a grasp of in one sitting.

However, I noticed that a hair-piece can consist of several main parts (like left side, etc.)

Is it possible that these different clumps - each as a whole - collide with each other?

Edited for spelling and slight re-wording.

Post edited by Hermit Crab on
    edited April 2014

I'll try to find some time this week to get a little tutorial together for you. I'm working on products right now and
    I'm in the process of moving, so there is a lot going on, but I promise to work on it :)

I did use Geometry based and guide based for setup, so I don't think that is the problem.

I also used Kink and Clump in the hair shader and the simulation was calculated at 3 fps.

Here is a link for a video sample - it's just a short render so I looped it a couple of times so you could see it.
    The hair is a little stiff but tweaking a few settings would fix that. Also for some reason the video sticks on the
    last second for me when I try to play it, but it will still give the basic idea.

Link to Youtube Video

Post edited by 3DLust on
    edited April 2014

I am assuming that it probably is possible, in the sense that Holly was mentioning earlier, about the guide hairs messing with each other. In that very regard, I have also noticed that my hair is using the auto-grouping feature at the default settings, which include a distance of a whopping 833.33 (somewhere around there) feet. I doubt highly that two and a half foot long hair needs that kind of search range.

I am actually going to take a breather from this again. Not out of frustration... no. But out of the idea that I have real life issues that are demanding attention, and this is a personal fun-time exercise. Well, I really do want it to become part of my production, which is why I'm suddenly back into trying to figure it out again.

The thing is, the hair that I have been using in this is actually a modified (by me) version of what comes with the working files of the Advance Carrara Techniques package, which is made to be applied to the included proxy. In defense of that, it was developed to get great results for still images - and it really does.

So anyways, I think that what I really need to do for this is to simply start from scratch. In that I am planning to try a lot of Holly's advice above. The problem that I had with her idea of starting with something really small, like a single guide hair, is that, same with other advice, I'm just too much of a newbie at hair, and not enough steps are clear. For example, I try using a single guide hair and the results are amazingly horrible. In reading the manual, it basically tells you that using a single guide hair is not going to be enough. So it's hard to see where someone is coming from with too little understanding of what they mean.

I have a lot of Carrara experience now, but very, very little with hair. Most of my total hours of hair tests are documented in this very thread - so... not much at all - and mostly all of it is done with that hair example from the product mentioned above.

With 3DLust saying that he just made long hair without jitters, and Holly saying that she's done it successfully is enough to convince me that I WILL get it eventually, I just need practice and understanding. I'll be sure to watch Advanced Carrara Training portions on Dynamic Hair again as well. The manual appears to have some great info on it, so I'll be using a lot of that advice, since it is clear of what their full workflow entails. That's what I need to figure out... a solid work flow from the start.

The last recent time I tried starting from scratch, I used five guide hairs. Everywhere where there were no guide hairs, the simulated hairs refused to come out of the mesh, but laid horribly across it. Again, I think it had to do with incorrect settings, right from the start. So hopefully I can sort this all out :)

EDIT: Ooops... cross posted with 3DLust.

Post edited by Dartanbeck on
    edited December 1969

3DLust said:
    I'll try to find some time this week to get a little tutorial together for you. I'm working on products right now and
    I'm in the process of moving, so there is a lot going on, but I promise to work on it :)

I did use Geometry based and guide based for setup, so I don't think that is the problem.

I also used Kink and Clump in the hair shader and the simulation was calculated at 3 fps.

Here is a link for a video sample - it's just a short render so I looped it a couple of times so you could see it.
    The hair is a little stiff but tweaking a few settings would fix that. Also for some reason the video sticks on the
    last second for me when I try to play it, but it will still give the basic idea.

Link to Youtube Video

...and there's no flickering at all... Bravo!
    Hmmm... Wonder where I'm going so far off the mark, then. :(

I would really appreciate a bit of advice on your workflow, thanks for that. Whoa... moving can be a real bummer, even though it's totally exciting getting into the new place. Glad you're in the middle of yet another cool product, as well. Take your time... I'll be here - as always ;)

Thanks again, my friend! Maybe I'll even have it all figures out before you're done! :)