cylindrical UV stretched seam bug - WIP Star Altar

124»

Comments

• MysticWingsMysticWings Posts: 226
    edited December 1969

Great!! Am already doing it like this... So easy!!! Really great!! :)

Many many thanks!!! To all of you!! You really make it easy to evolve in carrara!!!

edited December 1969

And my sweep is done!!! :) Now let's adjust this nicely to the columns :)

Captura_de_ecrã_2014-03-27,_às_17.47_.23_.png
    368 x 859 - 93K
  • evilproducerevilproducer Posts: 9,040
    edited December 1969

And my sweep is done!!! :) Now let's adjust this nicely to the columns :)

Even somebody that's used Carrara for quite some time can have one of those Aha! moments. It would not have occurred to me to make the vines that way. I have learned a new technique as well.

edited March 2014

It was really fast really... I already have vines in every columns. Of course I copy-paste some and then did some minor changes (just being smart ;) ).
    Now is just the leaves... But I think I'm going to do them just like squares and use transparency maps.

Post edited by MysticWings on
  • DartanbeckDartanbeck Posts: 21,210
    edited December 1969

It was really fast really... I already have vines in every columns. Of course I copy-paste some and then did some minor changes (just being smart ;) ).
    Now is just the leaves... But I think I'm going to do them just like squares and use transparency maps.
    ...and, if you like, you can used the surface replicator to populate them onto each vine. You could even use some of the leaves that come with Carrara if you want. They replicate nicely.

Wow... a lot going on here... just jammin', eh Tania?

edited December 1969

...and, if you like, you can used the surface replicator to populate them onto each vine. You could even use some of the leaves that come with Carrara if you want. They replicate nicely.

Wow... a lot going on here... just jammin', eh Tania?

The advantage to what Dart suggests is that many of the included leaf shapes are the geometry, which will render faster than a bunch of alpha maps, especially if you use any kind of Global Illumination in the render. You also avoid some minor annoyances with using alphas on 2D squares in my opinion

edited December 1969

Eheheheh! This project has became a giant learning path! ;)

I'm gonna try what both of you said. I actually thought that having lots of leaves shaped would render slower. But on the other hand, I was forgetting that alpha maps really slow render to. And try new things is always nice :)

Thanks. Actually all of these jammin' was not happening without all the help I receive here!! :)

edited December 1969

I do try to avoid the alpha methods as much as possible. I think Carrara renders it faster since it has absolute geometry for raytracing, instead of having to open the alpha maps and calculate them for each ray. But also, it gives me (or at least allows me to feel like it gives me) more control for shaders and other effects.

Fog (evilproducer hates Carrara's fog, while I love it) and volumetric clouds can do a lot to a scene's final render, adding depth effects. Both of those things have funky issues with alpha maps. It's like they try to fill the invisible portion of the geometry with a separate haze, or something.

edited December 1969

I do try to avoid the alpha methods as much as possible. I think Carrara renders it faster since it has absolute geometry for raytracing, instead of having to open the alpha maps and calculate them for each ray. But also, it gives me (or at least allows me to feel like it gives me) more control for shaders and other effects.

Fog (evilproducer hates Carrara's fog, while I love it) and volumetric clouds can do a lot to a scene's final render, adding depth effects. Both of those things have funky issues with alpha maps. It's like they try to fill the invisible portion of the geometry with a separate haze, or something.

I don't hate fog. I just like volumetric clouds better. Fog is great for some effects, but it doesn't really react to light. It's kind of like how the fire primitive doesn't react to scene forces.

BTW, the fog interface hasn't changed since Raydream 5.

edited December 1969

"Evil, son... Join me... and togethah... we shall render the galaxy!"

edited December 1969

Hello!!!

And mostly came to say hello!! :P Have been having some problems with the creepers since they don't really look how I would like... so, not finished yet, but still working on that. I'll show you a good render when I'm done!! Hope is soon, want to learn more about carrara, but until I finnish this have to go around the project ... and the creepers...

But most of all, have been working a lot on the characters for my book... And digital painting/ photoshop... So have been kind of disappeared.... The day could have some more hours...

Anyway, really have to say that already miss talking to you all :)

edited December 1969

Good to hear from you again!
    Don't worry... Carrara can be most patient, as so can we. Well... sometimes.
    Just knowing that we're in your thoughts is reward enough! :)

• TangoAlphaTangoAlpha Posts: 4,584
    edited December 1969

I have to get my current novel finished & off to my editor in the next 2 weeks (& still 20,000 words shy) so I know the feeling - no Carrara for me till it's done!

But I did pick up one of PhilW's tutorials when it was on sale yesterday, & transferred it onto my iPad so I can watch it anywhere (I hate those player apps that tutorial companies try & force us to use - so restricting!)

Anyhow, good to know you're still about :)

edited December 1969

How can I forget all of you that help me so much!!! :)

Nice you could get the sale tutorial Tim!! :) To me it's starting to tinkle that I haven't started learning it yet, but I am learning lots of other things and seeing lots of tutorials everyday so...
    I'm actually making skins for my characters in daz studio... And it is coming pretty well... Am starting to think that I can maybe sell the skin I'm doing in daz 3d store. Some extra money would be nice ;)

Nice to "hear" you!! :)

edited December 1969

Cool! You're gonna love the fact that you got the full package instead of the phone version. The working files are worth their weight, and then some, and then some more, and more.

From the Advanced Training set, I put the entire working files folder into my browser.
    The models that he teaches you to build, and the shaders for them... it's all in there!

Dynamic Hair and some proxy elements... in there, all of the cool elements, particle emitters, displacement, HDR and Spherical Background examples, environments... and all of that stuff has shader methods... man... it's Carrara school with a really cool teacher. And he's even on this forum ready to answer questions... you just can't beat it!

• SileneUKSileneUK Posts: 1,969
    edited December 1969

The vine sweep is great.... I am going to have to try using it as I have vines to sort out and this looks so natural! Thanks...Tania it looks super! x x :) Silene

edited December 1969

Dartan - I really saw the working files!! It's amazing! And Carrara let us set environments and atmospheric effects which is great for my illustrations. daz is nice t Reao make the characters, with all the morphs and stuff, but not really good for outside renders... it always seems very "cold" cause the lights are more ... well... studio... even with skydomes or uber environment. Really want to finnish this soon so I can dig into carrara. But at the same time, really want to keep doing my characters so... have to divide myself. Anyway last night could do a lot in the creepers and it's almost done. Also, decided that I have to stop being so hard on myself. It's my first model... So, the creepers are not how I would like... I should just be happy with all I learned about daz, modeling and photoshop in just 4 months...

Silene - thank you! The sweep really gives a great look!! :) And it's very nice to use if you follow all the explanations they gave me here. Believe me, I tried like 3 different ways of doing it, this one is great ;)

edited December 1969

Today I started with the PhilW training. I finished what I intended to do in the afternoon sooner so I just thought "what the hell, it's what I feel like doing, I'll go to my star altar later". I should have done this before.... I already learn lots of things that would improve a lot my model.... And I now understand why modeling in the assemble room can be so great!! Think I will put this project on hold for just a while and learn more about Carrara and then go back to it, maybe even improve it. But there's definitely some things I'm gonna change so that the file is less heavy...

And have to say, some tutorials really get me bored because of the voice and way the person speaks, and also when they treat us as if we are really dumb and have to ear the same thing millions of times. But PhillW really explain very well, simple and complete.... and no one can get bored with his great voice and accent!! :) Really loving the training!! Already finished section 1 and 2 doing all the exercises!! :D

edited December 1969

So are you watching Basic Training or Advanced Techniques?

edited December 1969

Basic training!! :) Learning all from the base!!! Is really great training!! Think I'll have a scene very soon. For what I understand is what we're going to do in section 3!!! :D

edited December 1969

Cool. I have to get that one. Phil says I broke the rules getting the Advanced first... but, hey... I'm good at working backwards, too! :D
    I may be a bit beyond needing Basic Training, but I want it anyways. Who knows what I may have missed out on?

edited December 1969

It's really great... I have no idea what is on advanced training, but I can say that the first 2 sections made me look at carrara in a completely different way!!! And is all really simple things... But is like: wawwwwww, I can do all this with this simplicity????

As I told in the other thread, don't like carrara for character making, but believe me, that does not take me the love I have for this software... It's really amazing!!! Really want to be doing scenes in it very soon!!! ;)

• TangoAlphaTangoAlpha Posts: 4,584
    edited December 1969

For me the big eye opener is doing everything in the assemble room. When I started, it was straight to the model room, then add cube... add cube... add cylinder etc. all in one vertex object.

And groups. I never saw the power of groups! And groups of groups...

• 3DAGE3DAGE Posts: 3,311
    edited December 1969

Wait until you get into animated groups,.. within a replicator,.. within another replicator. :)

Pharaohs_balcony.jpg
    1500 x 1125 - 213K
    edited December 1969

Have to say, it was an eye open to... People around here had already talked about that, so I was really curious!!! It's so amazing how easy it is to work inside assemble room... I'm actually redoing some things in this project. Have already saw that what really make carrara slow is to many objects (or to many objects inside one object). So I will errase the extra objects, leaving just one column and one sphere and then duplicate them in the assemble room (I'm assuming UV maps keep the same as well). Also erase all the leaves I've done (can't believe this...) and start again in the assemble room.

edited December 1969

Before eliminating a separate polymesh from inside a single vertex object, select the whole polymesh that you want to copy, and copy it (Ctrl C), then open a new, empty vertex object and Paste (Ctrl V) it in. Then go back and delete it from the other object.

Cool. So after watching Phil TV, perhaps my earlier posts and tutorials will make a whole lot more sense to you ;)

• 3DAGE3DAGE Posts: 3,311
    edited December 1969

HI Tania :)

Yes,. the more "unique" geometry that's in your scene, the more memory will be needed to hold and calculate it.

That's why Duplication, and Replication are really important to understand, since they both create "virtual copies" of a "Master" object,.

If you create an object,. then duplicate it,. (in the assembly room).. You'll still only have one "object" in the Scene / Objects panel.

If you create an object, then add it to a replicator, or surface replicator, you can have thousands of "instances" of that single master object.

In the Column and Vines image I posted earlier in this thread,. I selected some areas of the Vine, and created a new shading domain,.
    then I added a "Surface replicator" (in the assembly room) to replicate a single leaf model, and place those "Instances" of my leaf, onto that shading domain, on the vine.

Hope it helps :)

edited December 1969

Nice!! :) Always helping me!!!
    And yes, now is becoming more easy to understand everything you have told me so far!! :) And what you keep telling me!!

Many thanks to all of you! :)