Morph Injections in Carrara

MysticWingsMysticWings Posts: 226
edited April 2014 in Carrara Discussion

Hello!!

OK, this is a very stupid question, but here it is:
I'm having some problems finding the morph injections I have in daz studio inside carrara. I'm seeing PhillW tutorial, and it seems very simple to load them... if you are able to find them. Already looked over all the folders in content and there isn't anything with morph injections... In the tutorial he uses a runtime library created by him... I just have the default ones, but that includes the "My DAZ 3D Library Runtime", so the morphs should be there... I think... Or do I need to do some kind of thing to have access to the morphs?

Post edited by MysticWings on

Comments

• DartanbeckDartanbeck Posts: 21,103
    edited April 2014

Runtime library > Poses

If you use DIM to install everything to one folder, for example, use the "My DAZ 3D Runtime Library" in the Content browser, go to Poses, and you'll find any INJ files you've installed under their product names in there.

EDIT: In the example image below, I show where they are located in my custom "V4" runtime, since I don't have any INJ files in my default DIM directory. But the location will be the same, but in the directory I've illustrated with the top arrow, if you just use the DIM default. Otherwise, any custom runtime folder that you might have, again... the location will be the same.

Note that Genesis and Genesis 2 don't use INJections for morphs. They are added to the base figure upon installation.

INJ-location.jpg
    800 x 800 - 277K
    Post edited by Dartanbeck on
    edited December 1969

OK, this is a very stupid question ~ snip ~

No such thing ;)
  • MysticWingsMysticWings Posts: 226
    edited December 1969

I actually went again looking for it.... nothing... there's really no morphs injections on my library... Actually, my runtime library is really different and the only daz characters that appear like that are genesis, genesis 2 female and genesis 2 male.... All the other characters just appear in smart content... Really strange thing.... I'm really having hard time since in victoria 5 (I don't have 4) and in girl 6 no clothes conform, even when they are made for that character... Also with materials - most of them don't work.
    But to be honest, I'm thinking in doing my characters in daz studio and then import them in carrara. Really like daz for making characters... not so much for render. And have to admit, not very fan of carrara dealing with characters... But since carrara open daz studio format, is really easy to do a character in DS and then bring it to the scene :)

edited December 1969

Okay, that's what's going on. INJ files are made for earlier figure releases. Genesis changed all of that.

Girl 6 and all generation 6 characters came out after they were finalizing Carrara 8.5, so Genesis 2 (V6, M6, Girl 6, etc.,) characters and their support items are not fully supported yet in Carrara, but they do still work well within. Here's what you do:

For now, use DAZ Studio to load the clothing onto the figure, and set the materials how you want them. This goes for Auto-fit clothing as well. Do this part in DAZ Studio.

Then in the scene tab of DAZ Studio, select each item separately and save them back into the library, using a new name. I use the same place where I found them.

File > Save As > Support > Figure/Prop
    Navigate to People > Genesis (or Genesis 2 F or M, whatever) > Clothing

save in the folder where you found it, perhaps in a new folder if you like. I just use the same folder, but change the name a little.

edited December 1969

Hmmmm.... ok, that makes sense... Most of my content is for genesis 2 and my characters are all genesis 2 based.
    I'm still going to the making the characters fully in daz studio and then import them finished to carrara (have been trying that in the last hour and it works really well), but is good to know what you explained. Never know when I just want to change or add one little thing after make changes in carrara (like posing). It would be very bad if I had to go back to the figure in daz and then import it again, having then to repeat everything I had already done in carrara...

Many thanks Dartan!! :) You are really the angel of carrara newbies ;)

• 3DAGE3DAGE Posts: 3,311
    edited December 1969

Hi Tania :)

If you've purchased Carrara "Pro",. you should also get V4 and M4 with the morph packs, in the bonus content.

I think that's why Phil-W is using them as an example.

edited December 1969

3DAGE said:
    Hi Tania :)

If you've purchased Carrara "Pro",. you should also get V4 and M4 with the morph packs, in the bonus content.

I think that's why Phil-W is using them as an example.

I know that I did, but I don't know if Carrara 8.5 came with that stuff. I think that's why there was the lower upgrade price. Instead of Generation 4 stuff, 8.5 gives you a whole new 8.5 content download with some pro goodies for M5 and V5, which is some really nice stuff. I think that we needed to buy Carrara 8 to get the DAZ bundle that came with that. I don't think they truly accumulate from one version to the next. But I could be wrong.

Ah yes... I just checked my product library. Victoria 4.2 Base, morphs ++, etc., came with my purchase of Carrara 7 Pro and my purchase of Carrara 8 Pro only.

edited December 1969

To get the piles of content that came with them, you could look into getting an inexpensive version of Carrara's past versions.
    RK has a great list of resources here, at Carrara Cafe and, toward the top of the list are magazines that come with Carrara 7 Pro and other goodies.

I bought this book (Figures, Characters, and Avatars - by Les Pardew) from DAZ, but is now available at Amazon (Besides the content on disc, the book is cool, too). The version shown below is the version I bought, and it came with Carrara 6 Pro and Hexagon and a pile of free content. The book is about DAZ Studio, and also comes with Studio 2.3 on the disc, but the information in the book goes well for any software you use.

Any of these methods, if you contact DAZ 3D customer service, and explain (probably prove) your purchase, they'll update your product library, I think. Personally, I love the Generation 4 figures. But I'm quickly switching to Genesis 2 for their obvious superiority.

I often daydream my way through Amazon, looking at the earlier versions of Carrara - dreaming of the thought of collecting them all to create a shelf of nostalgia in my Carrara office. This idea also makes me wonder what sorts of goodies I would get along the way. The disc that came with this book came with all sorts of stuff from the Carrara 6 portion of the disc. Free example HDRI, and other resources. Just fun.

Fig-Char-Avatars.jpg
    300 x 300 - 17K
    edited December 1969

Yes, with carrara 8.5 comes v5 and m5, with all the pro bundle (really nice :) ) but no morphs. the morphs I have were bought and are all for genesis 2. they work with v5 and m5 in daz studio, and probably work inside carrara to. I just can't find them. Even the morphs I have for genesis I can't find them, but I have no characters for genesis so...

edited December 1969

Many thanks Dartan!! :) You are really the angel of carrara newbies ;)

My pleasure. But I'm actually just trying to return the courtesy that 3dage and the rest of this community did for me when I was new. As you've noticed, 3dge has just returned. He was a strong force when I got here as was NASSOS, Sub7th, Dimension Theory, Age of Armour, McGuyver, and many, many others and really helped me get my head on straight.

So I'd like to thank you for asking questions that I can attempt to sort out. I love it!
    I also find myself researching questions that I don't know right off hand, but have an idea or two... so I go in and experiment to find the answer. So helping others is also a great way to learn more and more as I go along.

In truth... I guess I sort of live on this forum. I have virtually no other internet activities. No FaceBook, I don't game much at all, except for a few good oldies... I just shop DAZ 3D and hang out in the forum.
    I'd probably get a lot more work done in Carrara if I didn't! LOL :ahhh:

edited December 1969

Yes, with carrara 8.5 comes v5 and m5, with all the pro bundle (really nice :) ) but no morphs. the morphs I have were bought and are all for genesis 2. they work with v5 and m5 in daz studio, and probably work inside carrara to. I just can't find them. Even the morphs I have for genesis I can't find them, but I have no characters for genesis so...
    Wel, V5 and M5 are morph packages... and some of the really top-notch ones at that.

To find them, load in Genesis (not Genesis 2)
    Look in the Parameters tabs of both Genesis and Actor to see all of the morphs you have installed.

I still buy monsters and clothing for background people for Genesis 1, as Genesis 1 is excellent in how many morphs I have from Monstrosities and the Gorilla, to V5, kids, M5 and more. Genesis 1 makes a great goblin, troll, orc...

Once I started playing with Genesis 2, however, I've soon discovered the improvements for which morphs are located under Actor, and that the Pose morphs are all under the character's name instead. It makes it a lot easier to work with for me.

So for Character morphs, textures and clothes, I've been focusing mostly on Genesis 2 male and female. I have all of the major offerings, like V6, M6, Girl6, Teen Josie... I think I have them all - the ones released officially by DAZ 3D. And then I try to grab as many expressions as possible. I still need to grab M4 and V4 for Genesis 2, which will give me the ghost clone for auto fit options. I am very excited about how real this new generation looks, and how easy they are to work with.

edited April 2014

LOLOLOLOL

I understand you. I already feel that as soon I am comfortable working on carrara, I want to return in the same way ;)
    I actually barely go to facebook since I began to come here!! :)
    And don't come more and see more threads just cause I'm in a full learning phase. Sometimes I just can't believe how much I've learn in 3 months...

About the thread subject, and as a newbie to 3d, I'm already a genesis 2 generation :P Love the 6 generation characters.
    But anyway, I do lots of morphing work inside DS since I create all my characters. And I'm really comfortable doing it there. The view mode is really accurate for this. Don't like carrara so much for this work. The characters somehow look strange, in spite that in render they look perfect. So I think I will not take to much time around this and keep doing the characters in daz, then importing them to carrara. If I do this, don't need morphs in carrara. Just for fun, here's one of my characters, a fairy from my book ;) Of course, created in daz studio, skin made by me in photoshop (yes, is very shinny, but it's on purpose) :)

Captura_de_ecrã_2014-04-7,_às_23.33_.59_.jpg
    639 x 671 - 185K
    edited December 1969

Wel, V5 and M5 are morph packages... and some of the really top-notch ones at that.

To find them, load in Genesis (not Genesis 2)
    Look in the Parameters tabs of both Genesis and Actor to see all of the morphs you have installed.

I still buy monsters and clothing for background people for Genesis 1, as Genesis 1 is excellent in how many morphs I have from Monstrosities and the Gorilla, to V5, kids, M5 and more. Genesis 1 makes a great goblin, troll, orc...

Once I started playing with Genesis 2, however, I've soon discovered the improvements for which morphs are located under Actor, and that the Pose morphs are all under the character's name instead. It makes it a lot easier to work with for me.

So for Character morphs, textures and clothes, I've been focusing mostly on Genesis 2 male and female. I have all of the major offerings, like V6, M6, Girl6, Teen Josie... I think I have them all - the ones released officially by DAZ 3D. And then I try to grab as many expressions as possible. I still need to grab M4 and V4 for Genesis 2, which will give me the ghost clone for auto fit options. I am very excited about how real this new generation looks, and how easy they are to work with.

Yeap, think that for that kind of monster characters there's no substitute for genesis 1! ;) It's really great!!
    Just happy that DS and Carrara work so well with each other. Actually, I would really hate that all the learning I did on DS was for nothing. Had to keep it for something very useful :P like making the figures!!! Since I'll start using carrara for most of my renders. :)

edited December 1969

Very cool character!
    I keep trying to get myself to use DS more for just this purpose, and more. So yesterday I actually did some of it, and find Studio to be an excellent Character creation package. I don't really care for keyframe animation in it, but that's probably because I'm just not used to it. So I just leave that part for Carrara.

Do you have Hexagon?
    The DAZ Studio/Hexagon bridge is dynamite for creating/adding custom morphs to clothing, and probably for characters, too. It automates morph loader on the return trip back into DAZ Studio from Hexagon, so by the time I'm done, I have an official slider attached to the model - so I then save it, and make more! :)

I am a huge Carrara fan, as you know... but I like these other tools too!

Thanks for pointing that out, though. It really is nice, doing the shaping and such directly in DAZ Studio. Now I just need to experiment with saving a character in DAZ Studio that is fully clothed, with hair. I'm sure it's just as easy, and will end up just like loading any other character in Carrara... Fun!!!

edited December 1969

Thank you!! :) I will try to put the skin in daz 3d store. Could really get some extra money... it would be a big help... Let's see how it goes, still have to make a nice render for that.

Hexagon does not work in my operative system. :( It's really sad that daz never update it again.
    I really like using various softwares. If one is better than another in one particular thing (and sometimes better just means we like it more for some reason), it's great that we can use all of them. Don't really understand why there isn't a bridge from ds to carrara to. another software I want to learn is zbrush, and ds has a bridge to zbrush to, even if it is not from daz.

About saving, don't know how you do it, but I really dress and pose the character with expression and all, save normally in ds and then just open the .duf in carrara. it's the good thing about this 2 softwares. you may save it as a character of course, but I've been doing like this (in my one day experience :P ). Then I save as .car of course. Working from the .duf does not seem the most stable way to work inside carrara.

edited December 1969

another software I want to learn is zbrush, and ds has a bridge to zbrush to, even if it is not from daz.

Carrara also has a direct bridge "GOZ for Carrara" to Z-Brush.

http://www.daz3d.com/goz-for-carrara

Working from the .duf does not seem the most stable way to work inside carrara.

you're right. it's not a good way to work.

Importing anything from One application to Another, isn't a good idea (when both applications can load the "Original" model)

Q: Are you using "Textured Mode" in Carrara's Viewport ?
    this should show the texture maps and allow you to see the changes you make to morphs better than the default Gouraud mode.

:)

edited April 2014

Very nice!! Can't wait to start learning ZBrush. I'm from sculpture, and ZBrush really work like traditional sculpture. Besides that, is an amazing software. But one thing at a time ;) since I'm only one! Now I'm diving in carrara! :) But I feel like DS, Carrara and ZBrush will make my workflow... :) maybe vue frontier to... will see that... photoshop is also in my workflow... think is more than enough software to keep me busy for some years learning! ;)

I understand what you mean, and agree... but curiously, if you open the duf (it's not very stable) then save as car, close and open the car file, it works pretty good, as far as I could notice with one day trial. :P I read somewhere that carrara 8.5 actually was improved in this matter of using DS files. But of course I can also do the characters in daz, save them as characters and open them directly in carrara. With time I will see what works better for me. ;) I love carrara and daz, so I will work with both a lot and will for sure learn by experience the pros and cons of every method. In this case really think I should try both and see how it works.

I'm using texture mode, but materials of girl 6 for example don't work, they just appear black, in viewport and in render. If they were created after carrara 8.5 and use some kind of different settings it is actually natural that some conflicts happen, I think...

edited December 1969

Oh absolutely...
    dragging DS materials onto items in Carrara just don't work, but if you do that in DAZ Studio, save it to the library, and open in Carrara from the library, it does work. So they're close... just needs some tweaking.

Truthfully speaking, I'm a bit surprised that we haven't received an update for 8.5 yet. More bummed than surprised... but surprised nonetheless.

edited December 1969

HI Dart :)

Frankly I'm P'd off that Carrara hasn't been updated to handle G2

What was the point of the 8.5 work to get genesis in there,.
    Why then make something that breaks all of that work,
    Why update the FREE DS to support that new figure,.
    WHY ignore paying customers.

I'm Not purchasing anything from this place until that's resolved.

Dim was introduced to make supplying updates easier and more efficient ... they should use this.

:(

edited December 1969

I have to agree with you, as I have noticed some things....

Carrara is a great software, and the most expensive from daz. But it seems like is the one who is put apart from other softwares... As I said before, if they have a bridge to hexagon and bryce (2 softwares that are not updated for so long that new operative systems like mine can´t handle them), and they even have a bridge to softwares that don't belong to daz... why not have a bridge to carrara?? It would create a great workflow I think. And I didn't knew this thing about G2 until now, but it actually deserved an update to deal with this new figures.

I like this softwares, but sometimes it seems that Daz make some choices that are not that much user friendly... at least for carrara users...

edited December 1969

One question.

I've been trying to match the seems from the skin I showed you above... It's a nightmare... I'm painting in the texture maps on photoshop and it's almost impossible to make everything match perfectly. I was looking around the net and I found that Blacksmith 3d is a software just for 3d painting. It seems very nice, but I for now I don't have money for it. Then I stumble on "carrara 3d painting". Didn't knew we had a 3d paint with brushes and all inside carrara!!! My question is, the texture maps are already done and I really love the skin as it is, I just want to corrects the seems. (Don't know if you use photoshop but wanted a kind of healing brush effect so that the seems were corrected). Can I do that inside carrara or just work painting from scratch on a blank surface? I mean, can I 3d paint on already made texture maps??

edited December 1969

HI Tania :)

Daz3D did work on ways to transfer scenes to carrara from DS,.
    There have been several attempts at making DAZ Collada (DAE) and other options to transfer stuff.

DUF seems to be the most stable and reliable method so far.

The problem with direct transfer to carrara is that Daz Studio uses plug-ins , lighting systems, Cameras, and shaders which Carrara can't handle.
    This works both ways,. ...it's impossible to transfer plants, landscapes, oceans etc to DS and still be editable in DS.

With Hexagon,. you're only transferring the selected model, to a Modeller, ..and back again.

With Bryce, Which was rebuilt to support daz studio transfer, the DS Scene is loaded into Bryce from DS,.(DS and AFAIK, not editable / animate-able in Bryce directly,. that has to be done in DS, before transfer.

Daz3D purchased Carrara, and Hexagon, from it's original developers (Eovia)

Daz3D then created their own software (daz Studio) when "Poser" was going through a period of being sold to other companies.
    since their entire market place for "Content" was originally established for the "Poser" Market.
    That's why most of the "Content" sold here will work in Poser and daz studio, and you'll find options for Poser export in DS.

Carrara is not like DS or Poser,. since Both of those programs "Depend" of being able to load content.
    Carrara can create it's own content, and can be used without any Daz3D products.

The paradox is that "Content" sales from the store, fund the development of all the Daz3D software products.

Andy :)

edited December 1969

Ok, never mind!!! :) Just found out 3d painting in photoshop!!!! :) This is actually great!!!! Will be able to correct all seams in all maps!!!! ;)

edited December 1969

can I 3d paint on already made texture maps??

Yes,. you can,. but it's better to save the texture maps you're painting onto, with a NEW name, so you donl;t destroy the original

You can use the 3D paint directly in Carrara, and save as PSD (photoshop).

DS doesn't have Direct 3D paint,. Just the Bridge to Photoshop.

edited December 1969

Soooooo cooollll!!! So I went from having no idea how to match this seems to find out I already have 2 softwares where I can do it!!! :)

Thank you 3DAGE!!! Have to explore that feature in carrara!! And huge thanks for the advice!!! With the "want to learn" excitation I would probably forget that little huge detail!!! One of the most important things in CG - when you do something you like, ALWAYS save those files if you are going to try another thing.... ;)