Star Wars Renders 2013 +

Comments

• Robert FreiseRobert Freise Posts: 4,247
    DustRider said:

I'd say this is more Star Wars inspired, but thought some people watching this thread might find the image interesting. If your interested, there is more infor on what was used in my gallery (here).

Nicely done

• FSMCDesignsFSMCDesigns Posts: 12,518
    DustRider said:

I'd say this is more Star Wars inspired, but thought some people watching this thread might find the image interesting. If your interested, there is more infor on what was used in my gallery (here).

Works for me! Is that octane?

• DustRiderDustRider Posts: 2,691
    tkdrobert said:

It has a Star Wars feel to it.  I have those creatures on my wish list for Star Wars renders myself.  Don't know when I'll actually buy them LOL.

I had to wait for a good sale, but it's a fun model!

• DustRiderDustRider Posts: 2,691

@Robert Freise Thanks!

@FSMCDesigns It's an Iray render. I used Scene Optimizer to get everything to fit on my 2070. The Outpost is very texture heavy, so Scene Optimizer made working with it much easier. I also reduced the resolution of the Camazard textures. 

• DustRider said:

I like it!  As I've said before, anything with depth-of-field in it impresses me, since I'm always forgetting that part.    The overall mood is definitely a Star Wars - meets - Firefly kind of vibe, which means it's really making me think of the Mandalorian right now.  I especially enjoy the dude in the background.  His pose just clicks; you can tell he's enjoying his girl-watching.

• another WIP this is the crew of the Alderaan's Revenge

From Left to Right

Jax - Twi'lek pilot

Ryukk - Wookiee Commando

Silver - Captain

SE5 - Astromech Droid

Alderaan's Revenge Crew.png
    989 x 877 - 674K
  • tkdroberttkdrobert Posts: 3,532

another WIP this is the crew of the Alderaan's Revenge

From Left to Right

Jax - Twi'lek pilot

Ryukk - Wookiee Commando

Silver - Captain

SE5 - Astromech Droid

Nice.  Very cool looking characters.

From Left to Right

Jax - Twi'lek pilot

Ryukk - Wookiee Commando

Silver - Captain

SE5 - Astromech Droid

Indeed, very evocative.  The Wookie is well done - easily recognisable as one, and that's a bit challenging in this medium.  

2 minor critiques:  I suspect it's the droid, but one of those figures is lower on the Y-Axis than the others, so the middle two are hovering above their shadows.  That jumps out to me.  Also, having two of them wearing the same trousers but different tops, whilse the third is in a completely different look, feels off.  I'd either tweak the colours so the trousers weren't so obviously identical, or tweak the colours on Ryukk's outfit so they tied in better.

And then there's my inherent pedant, who demands I point out that "Commando" is a type of military unit, not a type of soldier... but then again, if anyone could be an entire commando all by themselves, it'd be a Wookie.  (And yes, I realise that popular fiction uses "commando" as a type of soldier and that Star Wars has adopted this usage, so in-universe it's probably not wrong.  I just found the thought of a Wookie storming a beach in Normandy all by themselves to be amusing.)

another WIP this is the crew of the Alderaan's Revenge

From Left to Right

Jax - Twi'lek pilot

Ryukk - Wookiee Commando

Silver - Captain

SE5 - Astromech Droid

Good looking crew

From Left to Right

Jax - Twi'lek pilot

Ryukk - Wookiee Commando

Silver - Captain

SE5 - Astromech Droid

Indeed, very evocative.  The Wookie is well done - easily recognisable as one, and that's a bit challenging in this medium.  

2 minor critiques:  I suspect it's the droid, but one of those figures is lower on the Y-Axis than the others, so the middle two are hovering above their shadows.  That jumps out to me.  Also, having two of them wearing the same trousers but different tops, whilse the third is in a completely different look, feels off.  I'd either tweak the colours so the trousers weren't so obviously identical, or tweak the colours on Ryukk's outfit so they tied in better.

And then there's my inherent pedant, who demands I point out that "Commando" is a type of military unit, not a type of soldier... but then again, if anyone could be an entire commando all by themselves, it'd be a Wookie.  (And yes, I realise that popular fiction uses "commando" as a type of soldier and that Star Wars has adopted this usage, so in-universe it's probably not wrong.  I just found the thought of a Wookie storming a beach in Normandy all by themselves to be amusing.)

Actually according to the Dictionary "Commando" refers to both a Military unit designed to carry out raids and can refer to any member of a Commando unit... Plus who said Ryukk was the only Wokkiee Commando? wink

Wokkiee Commandos.png
    989 x 877 - 774K
  • Actually according to the Dictionary "Commando" refers to both a Military unit designed to carry out raids and can refer to any member of a Commando unit... Plus who said Ryukk was the only Wokkiee Commando? wink

Well, now my training as a librarian has to kick in and point out that "the Dictionary" is not a useful reference.  First, because you didn't specify which dictionary, and second, because there are no rules in English regarding who can publish a dictionary.  So one has to evaluate any given dictionary carefully before deciding it's actually authoritative.

But the reality of English is that it's all just consensus anyway, and yes, in popular usage - as opposed to military jargon - the word "commando" can refer to a type of soldier as well as a type of unit.

Finally, and to get this post properly on point for the thread - that's a group of people I would not want to be downrange of!  Are you willing to share the recipe?

• blutobluto Posts: 823
    rduda said:

New prop for my razor crest, work in progress...

love it

edited July 2020

Imperial Fugatives

The civil war is over.  The Empire lost.  We are bounty hunters contracted by Corellian Security (CorSec) to hunt down Imperial War Criminals and bring them back to stand trial.  They want them alive so we have perfected the use of non-lethal weapons.  Stun Blasters. taser nets, tranquilizer darts...you name it.  No Imperial will escape us or justice.

Post edited by tkdrobert on

Actually according to the Dictionary "Commando" refers to both a Military unit designed to carry out raids and can refer to any member of a Commando unit... Plus who said Ryukk was the only Wokkiee Commando? wink

Well, now my training as a librarian has to kick in and point out that "the Dictionary" is not a useful reference.  First, because you didn't specify which dictionary, and second, because there are no rules in English regarding who can publish a dictionary.  So one has to evaluate any given dictionary carefully before deciding it's actually authoritative.

But the reality of English is that it's all just consensus anyway, and yes, in popular usage - as opposed to military jargon - the word "commando" can refer to a type of soldier as well as a type of unit.

Finally, and to get this post properly on point for the thread - that's a group of people I would not want to be downrange of!  Are you willing to share the recipe?

COMMANDO definition in Cambridge English Dictionary

Meaning of commando in English

commando

noun [ C ]

US  /kəˈmæn.doʊ/ UK  /kəˈmɑːn.dəʊ/plural commandos or commandoes

soldier who is specially trained to make attacks on enemy areas that are very dangerous or difficult to attack:

He was an experienced commando with 13 years in the Special Forces.

small group of soldiers that are specially trained to make attacks on enemy areas that are very dangerous or difficult to attack:

Merriam-Webster definition

1South Africa

a: a military unit or command of the Boers

b: a raiding expedition

2a: a military unit trained and organized as shock troops especially for hit-and-run raids into enemy territory

b: a member of such a unit

• Despite the slightly rude condemnation from some! For those interested in how I achieved the Wookiee look the recipe is simply as follows:

Gen8 Male and this for the fur https://www.daz3d.com/harvey-rabbit-with-dforce-hair-for-genesis-8-male

Then I basically hid the ears, tail, and whiskers. I did hide the larger feet on my version as well, but this was more so I could add boots, the large feet work well if no shoes/boots required, then mixed some morphs for the face and brute morphs for the body and then a little scaling for height.

also testing using 2d backgrounds to add a bit more environment to my renders

Wookie WIP.png
    1023 x 877 - 405K
    the hunt begins.png
    1488 x 877 - 1M
  • Despite the slightly rude condemnation from some! For those interested in how I achieved the Wookiee look the recipe is simply as follows:

Gen8 Male and this for the fur https://www.daz3d.com/harvey-rabbit-with-dforce-hair-for-genesis-8-male

Then I basically hid the ears, tail, and whiskers. I did hide the larger feet on my version as well, but this was more so I could add boots, the large feet work well if no shoes/boots required, then mixed some morphs for the face and brute morphs for the body and then a little scaling for height.

also testing using 2d backgrounds to add a bit more environment to my renders

I apologise for coming across as rude.  In my mind, the comments regarding the word "commando" were merely bantering.  They were not intended as serious criticism, and I regret that I failed to communicate my tone.

Thank you for sharing how acheived the Wookie despite my poor choices.

• AshleyTingerAshleyTinger Posts: 498

Those are some great looking wookie's!  Nice work draven!

• MelissaGTMelissaGT Posts: 2,602

Star Wars: The Old Republic player character fanart of my own character and Jedi Knight, Raz.

Star Wars: The Old Republic player character fanart of my own character and Jedi Knight, Raz.

Nice work.

Looking good

• Rogue7Rogue7 Posts: 121

Great looking Twi'lek Melissa, what did you use for her lekku markings?

• MelissaGTMelissaGT Posts: 2,602
    edited July 2020
    Rogue7 said:

Thanks! I put the tattoos together using a combination of Photoshop and Mudbox to paint them onto the mesh. Here is an older shot of her tattoos -

Post edited by Chohole on
  • Rogue7Rogue7 Posts: 121
    edited July 2020

Beautiful, thanks for the info

Post edited by Rogue7 on
  • FSMCDesignsFSMCDesigns Posts: 12,518
    edited July 2020
    Rogue7 said:

Thanks! I put the tattoos together using a combination of Photoshop and Mudbox to paint them onto the mesh. Here is an older shot of her tattoos -

really nice!

Post edited by Chohole on
  • Updated concepts of the Revenge's Crew 

• Silver now wears a longer coat (though not 100% sure if I prefer the origina jacket?) and has a bionic left arm
    • Jax has gone through a skin colour change and her look is more like a pilot (trousers meant to look like rebel pilot trousers)
    • Ryukk now has a more traditional Wookiee look to him

couple of helmets I'm on the lookout for if anyone has or has seen them 

• Poe's style pilot helmet from FA
    • Emprorer's guard helmet from RotJ

Also anyone recognise the clothing in this promo image? 

Silver v3.png
    982 x 877 - 452K
    Jax v3.png
    982 x 877 - 383K
    Ryukk v3.png
    982 x 877 - 381K
    jpg
    jpg
    mr-karla-for-genesis-8-female-00-main-daz3d.jpg

Updated concepts of the Revenge's Crew 

• Silver now wears a longer coat (though not 100% sure if I prefer the origina jacket?) and has a bionic left arm
    • Jax has gone through a skin colour change and her look is more like a pilot (trousers meant to look like rebel pilot trousers)

Very cool

• Updated concepts of the Revenge's Crew 

Spiffy!

Sorry, I don't know the clothes in the promo image.  If you've not already done so, I'd start a thread in The Commons - it's a pretty commonly asked question.

For the Imperial Guard helmet, if you're willing to do some work there's at least one on Thingiverse:

https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:3267438

That, of course, is an STL.  You'd need to use something like Blender to convert it to an OBJ, and then Blender or UVMapper or some other program to give it a UV Map.  Then you'd want to use either Studio's geometry editor or Blender again to create different material zones.  But since it's all solid colours, you wouldn't need an actual texture map - car paint shaders would work nicely.

Lots of people post constuming things for 3D Printing, so you might be able to find the Resistance-style helmet on there too; I didn't with a quick search but there's lots in there and no naming conventions, so who knows?

• edited August 2020

Spiffy!

Sorry, I don't know the clothes in the promo image.  If you've not already done so, I'd start a thread in The Commons - it's a pretty commonly asked question.

For the Imperial Guard helmet, if you're willing to do some work there's at least one on Thingiverse:

https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:3267438

That, of course, is an STL.  You'd need to use something like Blender to convert it to an OBJ, and then Blender or UVMapper or some other program to give it a UV Map.  Then you'd want to use either Studio's geometry editor or Blender again to create different material zones.  But since it's all solid colours, you wouldn't need an actual texture map - car paint shaders would work nicely.

Lots of people post constuming things for 3D Printing, so you might be able to find the Resistance-style helmet on there too; I didn't with a quick search but there's lots in there and no naming conventions, so who knows?

Thanks TK

Thanks Vagabond - yeah was hoping for something that might already have been studio-ed  specially for the Poe helmet, but thanks for link to the guard helmet will see what I can do with it as it is the simpler of the two helmets :)

Also thanks for the commons tip as well!

Post edited by draven_11_74c1296a16 on
  • QuasarQuasar Posts: 568

Cool character. Still play these days? I used to play until about 5 years ago. I can hardly believe it's been that long. 

• Couple more character concepts

• Wookiee Jedi
    • The Last Guard - A Ronin-esq character - Guard who wasnt there for the death of Palpatine, who now roams the verse looking for a purpose
    Wookiee Jedi 2.png
    1354 x 877 - 491K
    Last Guard v2.png
    982 x 877 - 355K