DAZ Studio 4 crashes every time I try to render, gives cryptic log message.

PhoneyBaloneyPhoneyBaloney Posts: 0
edited July 2012 in Daz Studio Discussion

SORRY ABOUT THE DUPLICATE POST. THE FORUM KEEPS TIMING OUT WHEN I POST, and I did not realize that the previous post had made it through. Please post replies in this thread:
http://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/4615/

I am trying to create a scene with a skeleton in it. My efforts to create one are being addressed in this thread:
http://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/2670/
Nevertheless, whenever I import a skeleton in either OBJ or DAE format into a new DAZ scene, and try to render, DAZ Studio 4 always crashes. Always.
I tried to attach an excerpt from the most recent crash from the log file, but the forum responded that I cannot post files of that type, TXT. (Why not?) Nevertheless, the cryptic part states:
WARNING: /Users/build/DAZDevel/Hudson/HUDSON_HOME/workspace/NB_Studio4_Branch_Roc_Mac/src/sdksource/interface/dialogs/dzbasicdialog.cpp(164): No parent specified for DzBasicDialog!
WARNING: QLayout: Attempting to add QLayout "" to QWidget "", which already has a layout
WARNING: QLayout: Attempting to add QLayout "" to QWidget "", which already has a layout
Could not activate DAZ Decimator evaluation. Plug-in disabled.

And then the actual crash part:
Reading 29human-skeleton TEST.obj
WARNING: /Users/build/DAZDevel/Hudson/HUDSON_HOME/workspace/NB_Studio4_Branch_Roc_Mac/src/pluginsource/DzPZ3Importer/dzobjimporter.cpp(206): Could not find material file : 29human-skeleton
Imported: 29human-skeleton TEST.obj
Time to load file: 260.974 ms
Imported: 29human-skeleton TEST.obj
Building Scene...
File loaded in 0 min 12.8 sec.
Loaded file: 29human-skeleton TEST.obj
Loaded image Bone-equus_hemionus.png
Ran tdlmake on image /Install Files/Sweet Home 3D/Textures/bones/Bone-equus_hemionus.png
ERROR: 3Delight Process exited abnormally: "/Applications/DAZ 3D/DAZStudio4/bin/tdlmake -mode periodic /Users/garaldweller/Library/Application Support/DAZ 3D/Studio4/temp/d2.tif /Users/garaldweller/Library/Application Support/DAZ 3D/Studio4/temp/d3_d2.tdl"
tdlmake: error reading previous mipmap level
tdlmake: error while making texture file

Anyone have any ideas:
Post edited by PhoneyBaloney on

Comments

• nwleee_a52bfead84nwleee_a52bfead84 Posts: 108
    edited July 2012

I'm having a similar problem with Daz Studio 4.5 crashing. It is looking for a file or files and when it can't find them, it crashes.
    In my case, I am missing some Genesis morph files (or they are in the wrong directory) and whenever I load Genesis, DS crashes.

It looks like in your case you are missing that material file : 29human-skeleton, and when the 3Delight tries to render without it, it crashes. Can you locate that missing file?

Post edited by nwleee_a52bfead84 on
  • PhoneyBaloneyPhoneyBaloney Posts: 0
    edited December 1969

Oh sure. I know where the files are. I textured the model in Carrara, and exported it to OBJ, DAE, and 3DS formats. The OBJ format file is 29human-skeleton TEST.obj, and right next to that in the folder is 29human-skeleton TEST.Mtl. The DAE file does not even import completely. All I get is a neck, with no texture.
    BREAKTHROUGH: I changed the output image type to PNG in render, and did not add any textures, and it worked.
    I added a texture ... and it crashed again.
    BTW, this is DS4.
    Running Mac OSX 10.6.7

Processor Name: Intel Core i5
    Processor Speed: 2.53 GHz
    Number Of Processors: 1
    Total Number Of Cores: 2
    L2 Cache (per core): 256 KB
    L3 Cache: 3 MB
    Memory: 4 GB

Chipset Model: Intel HD Graphics
    Type: GPU
    Bus: Built-In
    VRAM (Total): 288 MB
    Vendor: Intel (0x8086)
    Device ID: 0x0046
    Revision ID: 0x0012
    gMux Version: 1.9.22
    Displays:
    Display Connector:

NVIDIA GeForce GT 330M:

Chipset Model: NVIDIA GeForce GT 330M
    Type: GPU
    Bus: PCIe
    PCIe Lane Width: x16
    VRAM (Total): 512 MB
    Vendor: NVIDIA (0x10de)
    Device ID: 0x0a29
    Revision ID: 0x00a2
    ROM Revision: 3560
    gMux Version: 1.9.22

• ReDaveReDave Posts: 815
    edited December 1969

Does the texture open in an image editor?

• StratDragonStratDragon Posts: 3,167
    edited December 1969

Added the texture and crashed: when rendering? when loading the texture?

one quick thing you can try depending on where your data files are is create a new user (admin rights) boot into that user account and run DS and see if it is more stable.

there is an update to 10.6.8 but I don't think anything for stability other than the OS stability.

When it crashes is there an error log?

edited December 1969

Does the texture open in an image editor?

Yes, the textures are fine. I would post them except that this forum server gives me an error message every time I try to post anything, and also because I am sure that the images would be removed for some obscure reason.

Added the texture and crashed: when rendering? when loading the texture?

When rendering.

When it crashes is there an error log?

Yes, the log excerpt above is from the crashed session of DS4.

UPDATE: I reduced the render quality to 3 (OpenGL) and the figure rendered with a texture, although you cannot really see the texture. The figure is just grey. I will try to post an image; but, again, this forum server does not like my computer at all.

edited December 1969

Trying to post an image.

DAE_skeleton_3.jpg
    1200 x 900 - 99K
    edited December 1969

This is the texture I am using. I am posting a JPEG of the texture, but I was using PNG in DAZ.

Bone-equus_hemionus.jpg
    512 x 512 - 111K
  • StratDragonStratDragon Posts: 3,167
    edited December 1969

Here's what I'd try

Is the object posable or static (doesn't have joints that move)
    If posable save as a DAZ file (File>Save As...)
    if static resave as an obj from Studio (File>Export> [save as obj without maps])

quit studio

relaunch studiio
    reload the file or obj

take the png file you created, open it in Preview, save as jpg, move it to your textures folder inside your runtime (you may need to create a new folder just for that, it's better than keeping it loose in "textures" though

select the surface of the skeleton, then reapply the texture from the new folder,

if that fails (crash when render) you need might need to repair your account permissions
    Macintosh HD:Applications:Utilities:DiskUtiility [select your HD and click repair permissions]
    then reboot, and reload the model and texture.