Stonemason appreciation thread

Comments

• JaderailJaderail Posts: 0
    edited December 1969

Jaderail said:
    Now the PC week is over I just wanted to thank Stonemason for this wonderful set...

Yeah, I was looking at this one during his sale myself. Seeing the excellent job you've done with it makes me regret not having gotten it but I did pick up a couple others. Really terrific work on this!Thank you Stonemason did all the hard work. To me his sets are the darn near make Art button we all want. I own a rather large collection of Stonemason sets now. I gather them as I can afford them, the big sales do help.

• ElowanElowan Posts: 388
    edited December 1969

Jaderail said:
    Jaderail said:
    Now the PC week is over I just wanted to thank Stonemason for this wonderful set...

Yeah, I was looking at this one during his sale myself. Seeing the excellent job you've done with it makes me regret not having gotten it but I did pick up a couple others. Really terrific work on this!

Thank you Stonemason did all the hard work. To me his sets are the darn near make Art button we all want. I own a rather large collection of Stonemason sets now. I gather them as I can afford them, the big sales do help.

With you all the way.

• leroysquableroysquab Posts: 101
    edited April 2014

Cypherfox said:
    Greetings,
    Jaderail said:

Yeah, I was looking at this one during his sale myself. Seeing the excellent job you've done with it makes me regret not having gotten it but I did pick up a couple others. Really terrific work on this!

If you get the chance during a 'catch-up' sale, I highly recommend it. I love SM's stuff in general, but the UF4 set is my absolute favorite for a near-future-ish feel. It's just neutral enough to be not-quite-now, but 20 minutes into the future.

I used it mainly in a slightly-too-dark 'Night on the Town' scene I did a while back, but I keep wanting to go back, add more people to it, improve the lighting a bit, etc., etc., because it's such an awesome setting. (If you click through, don't bother with the primary image, just download it to see it in its full, not quite well lit enough, glory.)

At this point I own all four levels of the Urban Future sets (picked up gradually, over time) but I like UF4 the best.

-- Morgan

Yeah, I'm in complete agreement with Elowan. Stephan's work is brilliant and always makes what I place in front of it considerably better. I try to catch them when I can as well. I stress over the task of figuring which set is which might be most useful (never knowing where I'm headed next) but yeah, I did pick up Urban Future 4 at catch-up on your recommendation. Not a doubt in my mind it will prove useful in some envisioned future and indeed, thanks to Stephan for doing the hard work and thanks to you for the recommendation! (Now I just need to pick up 2 & 3 next sale ;-) )

Post edited by leroysquab on
  • SupercopeSupercope Posts: 128
    edited December 1969

Cool pic, Supercope. Looks like there's going to be a web comic to follow. :)

Here's another I did last year based on an old 70's DC comic character called Manhunter using Stonemason's Village Courtyard.

Thanks, Leroy! I'm actually working on a prose story with that character. If you are inclined to check out another project of mine, you can see my super-hero web series CV NATION here: www.cvnationseries.com

• kyoto kidkyoto kid Posts: 40,501
    edited December 1969

Jaderail said:

...wow, that is really incredible.

Just got back to this thread as the reminder bots took a holiday on me.

edited April 2014

...even his ruins are great.

Submission from a holiday challenge back in December.

A Time of Hope

a_time_of_hope.jpg
    800 x 800 - 452K
    Post edited by kyoto kid on
    edited December 1969

Kyoto Kid said:
    ...even his ruins are great.

Submission from a holiday challenge back in December.

A Time of Hope

Really great work here, LOVE the star just in the perfect place...
    And Thank you for the comment as well.
    edited December 1969

...thank you. Was actually a bit of a rush job to get it done by the deadline. Really pleased with the outcome though.

• JabbaJabba Posts: 1,458
    edited December 1969

It would be criminal not to cross-post this here too - Prototype & Urban Future 4: Street Level...

Bot-ulism_Wallpaper.jpg
    1920 x 1080 - 1M
    edited December 1969

Jabba101 said:
    It would be criminal not to cross-post this here too - Prototype & Urban Future 4: Street Level...
    Yes I agree, was very needed here. Love the mood of this.
  • scorpioscorpio Posts: 8,296
    edited December 1969

Jabba101 said:

Very Nicely done, DOF is perfect.

• scorpioscorpio Posts: 8,296
    edited December 1969

This uses several of the city ruins sets.

Spring.sm_.jpg
    2000 x 1000 - 685K
    edited December 1969

cheers :-)

• Miss BMiss B Posts: 3,071
    edited April 2014

I just went through this whole thread, and I can't believe I never posted these.

As a long time Brycer, Stefan's Winter Terrains were an instant buy for use with DS.

You can see them all full size, and unsquished, here  --> http://3dpixelzone.com/WIP/studio/WinterTerrains/

WinterTerrains4.jpg
    1200 x 600 - 526K
    WinterTerrains3.jpg
    1200 x 600 - 465K
    WinterTerrains2.jpg
    1200 x 600 - 393K
    WinterTerrains1.jpg
    1200 x 600 - 677K
    Post edited by Miss B on
  • aldemps_65d152c25faldemps_65d152c25f Posts: 157
    edited December 1969

Just messing about.
    Used Stonemason's props in these images.

14-03-29_super_friends.jpg
    796 x 1050 - 521K
    14-03-27_xfools_investigate.jpg
    1680 x 820 - 524K
    14-03-23_guard_duty.jpg
    796 x 1050 - 558K
  • Herald of FireHerald of Fire Posts: 3,504
    edited December 1969

aldemps said:
    Just messing about.
    Omg! Super Sadie! Classic super Sadie!

Where oh where did you find that outfit for her? Not to mention Batgirl Sadie and Wondergirl Sadie! I am an absolutely insane fan of 3D Universe's Sadie and Sam figures, arguably since Sadie was the first major figure I ever bought for Poser. Ahem... well, anyway. I'd really love it if you could let me know where you found or bought that outfit, or how you kitbashed it together :)

Not sure if this qualifies for the Stonemason thread, but as it uses both City Ruins and Urban Sprawl in the background I thought I'd throw it in anyway. Foreground uses AntFarm's shanty town and DzFire's ThunderStruck vehicle along with the recent shotgun released by V3Digitimes.

Turf_Wars.jpg
    1400 x 1000 - 878K
    edited December 1969

aldemps said:
    Just messing about.

...love the Sadie Batgirl, Supergirl, and Wonder Girl.
    edited April 2014

Wow!! People you are all posting some really great renders. I'm so happy to see this thread alive again. Keep it coming, I'm having a great time looking at all these renders.

EDIT: HeraldOfFire in my book it not only belongs but is done very well.

Post edited by Jaderail on
  • alexhcowleyalexhcowley Posts: 2,308
    edited December 1969

Miss B said:
    I just went through this whole thread, and I can't believe I never posted these.

As a long time Brycer, Stefan's Winter Terrains were an instant buy for use with DS.

You can see them all full size, and unsquished, here  --> http://3dpixelzone.com/WIP/studio/WinterTerrains/

Most impressive renders, Miss B. Can the Winter Terrains be used for close up, ground level renders as well?

Cheers,

Alex.

edited December 1969

Miss B said:

Most impressive renders, Miss B. Can the Winter Terrains be used for close up, ground level renders as well?

Cheers,

Alex.
    I'm not sure Alex, but that's only because I haven't tried . . . yet. :coolsmile:

edited December 1969

Miss B said:
    Miss B said:

Cheers,

Alex.

I'm not sure Alex, but that's only because I haven't tried . . . yet. :coolsmile:They're quite good up close too, it's just a case that the scale changes - a mountain becomes more of a large rocky outcrop, so just depends what you want to do to adjust the perception of scale... with this one, I vastly reduced the scale of the castle buildings to give the impression the distance was greater between them and the warrior in the foreground standing on a mountain ridge.
    winter_guardian.jpg
    1920 x 1080 - 658K
    edited December 1969

Oh that looks good Jabba. Thanks for the tip about the scaling, as it worked quite nicely in your render. The castle does look like it's quite a distance away.

• SimonJMSimonJM Posts: 5,942
    edited December 1969

Used some of StoneMason's goodies recently: here, here and here

edited December 1969

Very nice Simon. I especially like that first one. :coolsmile:

• SimonJMSimonJM Posts: 5,942
    edited December 1969

Miss B said:
    Very nice Simon. I especially like that first one. :coolsmile:

Thanks, I thought it was about time I took DraagonStorm's Let it Snow shaders out for a 'walk' :)
    edited December 1969

Wonderful work Simon. TY for the links.

• alexhcowleyalexhcowley Posts: 2,308
    edited December 1969

Jabba101 said:
    Miss B said:
    Miss B said:

Cheers,

Alex.

I'm not sure Alex, but that's only because I haven't tried . . . yet. :coolsmile:They're quite good up close too, it's just a case that the scale changes - a mountain becomes more of a large rocky outcrop, so just depends what you want to do to adjust the perception of scale... with this one, I vastly reduced the scale of the castle buildings to give the impression the distance was greater between them and the warrior in the foreground standing on a mountain ridge.

Another very impressive render. Many thanks for your comments.

Cheers,

Alex.

• SzarkSzark Posts: 10,634
    edited December 1969

Just a quickie I threw together last night. Testing how quick I can cobble a scene together. Tried to use AOA SSS shader but I was getting some issues so I used Uber Surfaces instead. Lit by two AOA Distant Lights, one to add some bounce light and 1 AOA Ambient Light. Rendered with Gamma Correction on set to 2.20.

Increased Saturation in Photoshop by +5 and used a High Pass filter on top. And that is it.

I thought it came out well.

Village Courtyard http://www.daz3d.com/village-courtyard@ by Stonemason@
    Fantasy Instruments http://www.daz3d.com/fantasy-instuments@ by DAZ 3D@ and Valandar@

Clothing
    StreetWear : Jeans For Genesis http://www.daz3d.com/streetwear-jeans-for-genesis@ by StreetWear@ who is really Stonemason
    StreetWear : Mens Sneakers for Genesis http://www.daz3d.com/streetwear-mens-sneakers-for-genesis@ by StreetWear@

Singing_the_Blues.jpg
    1545 x 2000 - 3M
  • ArchAngel1982ArchAngel1982 Posts: 0
    edited December 1969

Some really really nice renders guys!
    Having recently come back to using DAZ after a long period of time away from any art atall, my first render was always going to have to use something from stonemason, having admired his skills for many a year and in been in awe of his work for just as long!
    So yes, my first piece of art in a good couple of years and another to add to this wonderful thread :)

AA

Glassbot.jpg
    618 x 800 - 465K
  • SzarkSzark Posts: 10,634
    edited December 1969

here is an updated version

Singing_the_Blues_Take_2A.jpg
    1545 x 2000 - 3M