does it run on Mountain Lion?

scottidog2scottidog2 Posts: 319
edited December 1969 in Carrara Discussion

Can any mac user tell me if 8.5.0.149 runs on 10.8 Mountain Lion that is officially released in a few days time?

Comments

• edited December 1969

I have heard it WILL NOT! I am planning on buying a new MACPRO in 2 weeks and they will come with mountain Lion 10.8 installed! I am going to have to DOWNGRADE the OS to LEOPARD or 10.6 to use carrara safely and I think that sucks!~

There is no hint as to if and when carrara 8.5 will ever be released.

ALSO NOTE I have read a lot about the latest OSs from apple, from higher end artist, and they all love leopard and most refuse to go higher until some issues with lion and mountain lion are resolved.

Some animators say that LION is significantly slower on the render than Leopard.

• ChoholeChohole Posts: 33,604
    edited December 1969

However I have read that when you but a new Mac with either Lion or Mountain Lion installed it is not possible to donwgrade the OS. I may be wrong.

• dot_batdot_bat Posts: 373
    edited December 1969

i bought a mac mini with 10.7 on it and had to downgrade to 10.6.8. for rosetta was not easy but did it. otherwise id have to update most of my software. on the apple support site is where i found the how to for downgrading the mini. somebody might be doing it for mac pro. Can I install Snow Leopard on the new Mac Mini is the name of the article

• edited December 1969

Basically if you want to use carrara 8.5 on mac, your going to HAVE to somehow make Leopard 10.6 your OS which is infuriating to me! GRRRR!

I have read on MAC-RUMORS a few times this is no big deal BUT it was in the MACPRO forum seeing thats where my concerns lie.

I have just submitted a THREAD there about just this issue and await competent replies!

I will let you know what I learn!

Frankly i have never seen any modern software apps where one has to downgrade their OS 2 version back to make it work MY GAWD!

edited December 1969

Oh, come on now, be fair. When Lion was first released there were more apps that didn't work in it than there were apps that did. It caught a great many software companies out, and some of them bigger companies than Daz3D.

• edited December 1969

CHOHOLE!~ dont make me pull this car over!

• scottidog2scottidog2 Posts: 319
    edited December 1969

Surely its Daz responsibility to keep their software updated.
    Its very frustrating.
    I love the ease of use of Carrara and want Carrara to develop but not being able to use it on the latest mac OS is crazy.
    I am using 10.6.8 presently just to use Carrara.

• wetcircuitwetcircuit Posts: 0
    edited December 1969

I am running C8.5beta just fine on osX.7 -- assuming DAZ remembers to provide a serial number on this un-ending beta.

edited December 1969

Surely its Daz responsibility to keep their software updated.
    Its very frustrating.
    I love the ease of use of Carrara and want Carrara to develop but not being able to use it on the latest mac OS is crazy.
    I am using 10.6.8 presently just to use Carrara.

I assume that is part of what they are doing during the current dev cycle. Carrara is currently being developed.
  • CarltonMartinCarltonMartin Posts: 147
    edited July 2012

New in Carrara 8.5:

16. Mac OSX Lion support has been implemented

http://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/2177/

and what I've been hearing is the change from Leopard to Lion was extreme, much like the OS9 to X was, while the change from Lion to Mountain Lion isn't extreme. However, experience is that if DAZ says OS Lion support works, I wouldn't assume Mountain Lion will until they say it does, and I wouldn't expect any version of C to run under operating systems other than the ones it's released under.

Post edited by CarltonMartin on
  • pavel_bf2dd66d99pavel_bf2dd66d99 Posts: 12
    edited December 1969

Mountain Lion is finally out. Anybody had a chance to test Carrara on it ? I plan to make a switch soon, but I am too afraid that Carrara won't work in ML. However, there are too many apps that require Lion+ now, so I might be forced to do the update anyways.

• edited December 1969

PLahoda said:
    Mountain Lion is finally out. Anybody had a chance to test Carrara on it ? I plan to make a switch soon, but I am too afraid that Carrara won't work in ML. However, there are too many apps that require Lion+ now, so I might be forced to do the update anyways.

GAWD wouldn't you know it! 2 week out till I buy my new mac and they toss on MOUNTAIN LION!!!!! DAMN ALL THE LUCK!

• edited December 1969

Well looks like I am gunna be a ginnie pig soon! Looks like there is NO WAY round getting a new mac that does not come with Mountain lion installed, AND you will play hell trying to get an install disk for lion even if you wanted to down grade the OS!

SP looks like I will stumble along with carrara on this machine running like a 3 legged horse with a stroke on Mountain Lion. I bet it will at least run but it will be hell working with!

PLEASE DAZ! Give your code zombies anything they want to get Carrara 8.5 to run well on ML!

edited December 1969

Richard, I think I will download & install ML on one of my older computers and will definitely test Carrara on it. Hopefully this happens over the weekend. I will let you know. Is anyone faster ?

edited December 1969

At least you guys know that Daz is working on it. We poor peeps over in the other side of the forum have to wait till they get Carrara and DS sorted before we get a chance of any more dev coming our way.:roll:

• edited December 1969

PLahoda said:
    Richard, I think I will download & install ML on one of my older computers and will definitely test Carrara on it. Hopefully this happens over the weekend. I will let you know. Is anyone faster ?

Thanks pal! But arent you worried about not being able to DOWNGRADE this machine you are talking about

• scottidog2scottidog2 Posts: 319
    edited December 1969

8.5.0.149 runs on 10.8 Mountain Lion.
    Yep just installed Mountain Lion and fired Carrara with baited breath.
    IT WOKS OK.

• edited December 1969

IT WOKS OK.

YOu might want to take the long scenic route/drive before with Carrara you say it runs on 10.8! PLEASE do some work with it then tell us what happens!

edited December 1969

After reading the info for Mountain Lion, it looks like Apple is dropping support for 32bit processes in this round.

The things I would test would be the 32bit version of Carrara, and also rendering to a Quicktime which opens a 32bit quicktime-thing (I think this still happens?) or any other 32bit processes you can think of...

edited December 1969

IT WOKS OK.

YOu might want to take the long scenic route/drive before with Carrara you say it runs on 10.8! PLEASE do some work with it then tell us what happens!

I just did that. I am on Mountain Lion right now, and everything I tried with Carrara worked just fine. App starts, file open, rendering works, no problems whatsoever. Need to try some of my high poly files to see if the problems with saving and overall stability persists, but I am afraid this has nothing to do with underlying OS but we need to keep our fingers crossed that DAZ will eventually squash some long persistent bugs.

• edited December 1969

PLahoda said:
    IT WOKS OK.

I just did that. I am on Mountain Lion right now, and everything I tried with Carrara worked just fine. App starts, file open, rendering works, no problems whatsoever. Need to try some of my high poly files to see if the problems with saving and overall stability persists, but I am afraid this has nothing to do with underlying OS but we need to keep our fingers crossed that DAZ will eventually squash some long persistent bugs.

I would like to know if you get an ERROR and crash if you click in the timeline! That may take a few minutes but IF I open C8 in power MAC 10.5.8 and have to click, s;elect , move things around in the timeline within a few minutes I will get and error/crash! Which means if I dont want to loose any of my work I have to save every few moves and that means a multi-minute save

• Inner-Fire StudiosInner-Fire Studios Posts: 14
    edited December 1969

I am currently running it in Mountain Lion

• BrianP21361BrianP21361 Posts: 791
    edited December 1969

I've been using the new beta (172) in both Lion and Mountain Lion. Performance seems to be the same in both operating systems. I've opened, rendered and saved a large file with two M4 characters and a lot of buildings. Everything was good. Adding poses works well. I tried some simple bullet physics and they work too. I haven't tried animating or changing shaders yet. I only had one crash so far. (That's much better than the previous build.) When I added a pose to Genesis in Mountain Lion. I tried it again and it crashed again. After rebooting I was able to get it to work. It didn't crash in Lion.

I did notice one strange behavior with the new beta. The spot render doesn't work anymore. It just gives me a white square. I got the same behavior on both operating systems on two different computers (27" iMac and a 13" MacBook Pro). Has anyone else seen this? It works the same whether OpenGL rendering is active or software rendering. Should I report this in the Bug Report.

edited December 1969

Confirmed. I have a totally white spot render. >:-(

DO NOT DOWNLOAD BETA 172

• 3DPixLA3DPixLA Posts: 0
    edited July 2012

Random crashing and frequently in mtn lion save often! No white square test render working in Mtn Lion and build 172 64 bit i5.

Post edited by 3DPixLA on