The Fire Primitive

2»

Comments

• DartanbeckDartanbeck Posts: 21,223
    edited December 1969

In one of the 3dxtract magazines I did an excellent fire/smoke tutorial for further reference: http://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/29265/
    Really looking forward to reading that. All of them! But I'll certainly look for your fire/smoke tutorial. Knowing that you've done that, did I do okay on my torch fire (above link to video), according to your methods? I cannot wait to read it! I love Carrara fire.
  • evilproducerevilproducer Posts: 9,040
    edited December 1969

Autodesk bought it. Here's a Wikipedia article about it:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Combustion_(software)

Amazon has one copy left for $776 US.

I recall when it first came out. There was quite a it of buzz about it.

Commotion was another good one I used to dream about owning until Avid got its hands on it.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Commotion_(animation)

edited December 1969

Man. Howler at 88.95 when it's not on sale is an amazing price for all the stuff it lets me do. I must say, but like anything else, it takes a bit of getting used to before you really start to sing with it... but the free online tutorials are a great way to start learning. Then just get in there, play around and let the magic begin. I'm pretty sure that Howler 9+ works on MacOS via WINE. But at Philip Staiger's DAZ 3D store, Staigerman, Windows users can get older version at lower prices... which I think is really cool. They have free Dogwaffle, which is earlier Dogwaffle without the Pro animation tools. That's not here at DAZ. But here, we have older versions of both Howler and Artist, and even a stand-alone version of their particles as a separate product!
    Howler is the name given to what used to be only referred to as PD Pro. PD Pro 3, here at the store is only $5. Howler has come a long way since then, and I don't think (I could be wrong) that the Brush Keyframer exists before Howler 9... but it might be in 8... you'd have to ask Philip - whom is very prompt with customer questions and concerns.
    Man... I see that Howler 8.2 is only $30! But still... 88.95 for the latest and greatest is amazingly affordable - and a really fun community to be a part of :)

• edited December 1969

In one of the 3dxtract magazines I did an excellent fire/smoke tutorial for further reference: http://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/29265/
    Really looking forward to reading that. All of them! But I'll certainly look for your fire/smoke tutorial. Knowing that you've done that, did I do okay on my torch fire (above link to video), according to your methods? I cannot wait to read it! I love Carrara fire.

Lots of good material in that collection. You did very well. I think the only thing I did different (provided I recall correctly) is I added a glare/glow effect (I believe). Which allowed me to control the color a bit.

• edited December 1969

Another good option for fire is the Primivol plugin from Inagoni. I actually came up with some of the initial concepts of the plugin, and personally worked one on one with him during development to shape it into the flexible tool it is today. It's probably one of the most powerful plugins out there for Carrara, but it takes a lot of deep diving to understand it.

• DUDUDUDU Posts: 1,945
    edited March 2014

Hi Dart,
    I have the feeling which you would like that I'm interested in Howler, I will do it, I promise to you!
    I had bought a version of Combustion a long time ago only for his exceptional laboratory of particles.
    It's a program difficult to learn, a gas factory Autodesk, but the results are infinitely realistic when you know the application.
    A mixing Carrara/Combustion gives results very impressive. But… I don't know if there is an evolution of this software and I don't believe that I could still buy it, at this time, it was for my work while now, it's a hobby only...:-S

Post edited by DUDU on
    edited December 1969

Another good option for fire is the Primivol plugin from Inagoni. I actually came up with some of the initial concepts of the plugin, and personally worked one on one with him during development to shape it into the flexible tool it is today. It's probably one of the most powerful plugins out there for Carrara, but it takes a lot of deep diving to understand it.Great to hear! I now have Primivol, but have yet to play with it. Not even sure where to start! LOL But I'll figure it out - love doing that! :)

Hi Dart,
    I have the feeling which you would like that I'm interested in Howler, I will do it, I promise to you!
    I had bought a version of Combustion a long time ago only for his exceptional laboratory of particles.
    It's a program difficult to learn, a gas factory Autodesk, but the results are infinitely realistic when you know the application.
    A mixing Carrara/Combustion gives results very impressive. But… I don't know if there is an evolution of this software and I don't believe that I could still buy it, at this time, it was for my work while now, it's a hobby only...:-S

Sorry DUDU... I know it sounds like I want the world to buy Howler - and perhaps that's true... I really like the cool developers of the project. But I'm more on the page of making sure that everybody knows about it, and that it works very well with Carrara, is all ;)

It is not a Movie editor, and is only meant to work on clips of video, like a single rendered animation at a time. But in there, you can do all manner of different effects. Very fun and... well... yeah... really affordable for the hobbyist or Pro alike! :)

Sorry to constantly push it though!

• DUDUDUDU Posts: 1,945
    edited December 1969

He Dart, I have just looked at the site of Howler…
    It is extraordinary what this program seems to do, and for a so low-costs!
    Even if one own the Adobe serie, I believe that it is essential tools.
    I download the demo. and I test it as soon as I can!
    Thank you for your insistence…;-)