The Marvelous Designer Thread

Comments

• Perilous7Perilous7 Posts: 40
    edited May 2020

Hope this helps some people reading this thread, if you want to have the stitching appear on your normal map and not have the separate mega poly heavy stiches in poly form do the following

i made the fabric black, then went to the stitch menu, made the stitch white, i converted the basic stitch image so that the back ground colour is black (in Photoshop) load that image into MD,

add stitches to your project as normal, then export saving the image maps. you should have a map in all black apart from white stitches, load into your fave normal mapping software, 

(i used Knald) derive your normal map from the MD colour map and bingo. if you want your map to be mid grey then alter the step where you alter the stitch and set to mid grey instead of black. 

This doesnt of course help if you are wanting detalied normal maps of your fabrics, unless you have substance painter in which case you can add it and bake then retexture.

Post edited by Perilous7 on
  • julopezjulopez Posts: 5

hey i need some help i export the t shirt from marvelous D and everytime i check i go to surfaces and i see the t shirt and materials but i dont have any color or maps what can i do for this ? where can i find the colors and fabric i export from MD ?

• MoonCraft3DMoonCraft3D Posts: 379

I'm learning Marvelous Designer and wanted to document and share my workflow on how to take an outfit from inside Marvelous Designer, and bring it into Daz 3D Studio and save it.

This is my personal workflow so far, which may change in time. I am always open to new ideas, and tips on how to improve my workflow. That said, if you are using Marvelous Designer and are struggling to get your creations into Daz this may help :)

marvelousdesigner_todazstudio_3d_tutorial_mooncraft.png
    1163 x 970 - 575K
    marvelousdesigner_daz3dstudio_free_dress.png
    931 x 780 - 257K

hey enchanted april i cant find my materials from MD :( i checked everywhere , i followed all your steps i just cant find the same materials and color i had on MD

• lilweeplilweep Posts: 2,217
    edited June 2020

julopez said:

hey enchanted april i cant find my materials from MD :( i checked everywhere , i followed all your steps i just cant find the same materials and color i had on MD

Depending on your needs, you can do 1 of 3 things.

1. You can "bake maps" on UV editor page.   This will give you a texture map you can use in Daz.  There are several steps you have to do to get this to work.  I think they are kind of obvious steps so i cant be bothered explaining it.  I think i have explained elsewhere in this thread.

2. Or you can  find the texture location of your "textures" you used in MD by clicking on the file icon when you have your fabric selected.  You can use these as a shader in Daz, i suppose.

3. Or you can export the textures by changing export settings to include save textures into zip file.  It should save all the texture resources you used into a zip file.

CAP1.PNG
    397 x 763 - 26K
    Cap2.PNG
    491 x 1396 - 59K
    Post edited by lilweep on
  • MoonCraft3DMoonCraft3D Posts: 379

I second Lilweep

hey Kimonolady check these out , thats the MD project , and does are the textures , once i export them to daz everything works well execpt for the logo which is back and front logo ,it wont appear at all.

2020-06-26 (1).png
    2040 x 897 - 435K
    2020-06-26.png
    2040 x 897 - 320K
    2020-06-26 (3).png
    1527 x 1227 - 338K
    2020-06-26 (4).png
    1527 x 1227 - 298K
    2020-06-26 (2).png
    1981 x 606 - 206K

i am not sure if i posted the last picture because it have not loaded yet but here are the pictures of the MD UV 

2020-06-26 (1).png
    2040 x 897 - 435K
    2020-06-26.png
    2040 x 897 - 320K
    edited June 2020

2020-06-26 (4).png
    1527 x 1227 - 298K
    2020-06-26 (1).png
    2040 x 897 - 435K
    2020-06-26.png
    2040 x 897 - 320K
    Post edited by julopez on
  • ChoholeChohole Posts: 33,604
    edited June 2020

threads merged, please do not post duplicate threads on the same topic.

Post edited by Chohole on
    edited June 2020

You could try

1. Rename fabrics to Logo_1 and Logo_2 (no spaces)

2. Move logos onto their own UV tile's (you can use any UV tile). Resize to fill all/most of the UV tile space

3. Bake a diffuse/colour map and use that as a template to add your logos to in photoshop/gimp etc

4. Export to obj

Capture33.PNG
    2923 x 1631 - 1M

thanks lilweep worked like a charm!

• I do a lot of kitbashing, and MD has come in handy for creating non-clothing .obj shapes for import into Studio. I used an existing product (The Construction Site) to make a frame for this greenhouse, but I needed glass walls that fit within the angles of the roof and around the door. In the past, I would have used geometry editor to remove polys from a plane, but MD is faster, easier, and more accurate (now that I'm familiar with it). Using a screenshot of the greenhouse frame as a backdrop in MD, I easily drew out a pattern and exported it (without draping because I needed it as a plane).

Greenhouse.png
    1920 x 1080 - 3M
  • barbultbarbult Posts: 23,049

I do a lot of kitbashing, and MD has come in handy for creating non-clothing .obj shapes for import into Studio. I used an existing product (The Construction Site) to make a frame for this greenhouse, but I needed glass walls that fit within the angles of the roof and around the door. In the past, I would have used geometry editor to remove polys from a plane, but MD is faster, easier, and more accurate (now that I'm familiar with it). Using a screenshot of the greenhouse frame as a backdrop in MD, I easily drew out a pattern and exported it (without draping because I needed it as a plane).

That was inspired!

• nonesuch00nonesuch00 Posts: 17,890

I do a lot of kitbashing, and MD has come in handy for creating non-clothing .obj shapes for import into Studio. I used an existing product (The Construction Site) to make a frame for this greenhouse, but I needed glass walls that fit within the angles of the roof and around the door. In the past, I would have used geometry editor to remove polys from a plane, but MD is faster, easier, and more accurate (now that I'm familiar with it). Using a screenshot of the greenhouse frame as a backdrop in MD, I easily drew out a pattern and exported it (without draping because I needed it as a plane).

nice.

I am going to start saving for MD perpetual in September now that I have a computer that can use MD. Even on sale it was nearly $300 last Christmas 2019 'Promo' period.

• galiengalien Posts: 136

Sadly, it looks as if MD will be subscription only from the next release (version 10).

• LeanaLeana Posts: 10,932
    edited July 2020
    galien said:

Sadly, it looks as if MD will be subscription only from the next release (version 10).

Where did you get that from?

edit: scratch that, I just found it: https://www.marvelousdesigner.com/company/news/view/49

Well looks like I won't upgrade past 9 then...

Post edited by Leana on
  • NathNath Posts: 2,713
    Leana said:
    galien said:

edit: scratch that, I just found it: https://www.marvelousdesigner.com/company/news/view/49

The 'good' news is that existing perpetual licenses can renew (I assume perpetual) up to MD 12. But yeah, no more perpetual, no upgrades for me.

• LeanaLeana Posts: 10,932
    edited July 2020
    Nath said:
    Leana said:
    galien said:

The 'good' news is that existing perpetual licenses can renew (I assume perpetual) up to MD 12. But yeah, no more perpetual, no upgrades for me.

What they wrote on upgrade from perpetual lcence is really not clear IMO. There will be an upgrade price, but does that make the new license perpetual if they don't have those anymore? Does all that mean "no more perpetual licences except from upgrades?" indecision

Post edited by Leana on
  • NathNath Posts: 2,713
    Leana said:
    Nath said:
    Leana said:
    galien said:

What they wrote on upgrade from perpetual lcence is really not clear IMO. There will be an upgrade price, but does that make the new license perpetual if they don't have those anymore? Does all that mean "no more perpetual licences except from upgrades?" indecision

That is unclear, yes. You can read it both ways, but we won't really know until MD10 comes around

edited July 2020

Leana said:
    Nath said:
    Leana said:
    galien said:

Their annoucement is confusing.  There is room to make incorrect inferences.

People originally purchased MD 7, 8, 9 thinking they could upgrade at a discount to next version (potentially skipping two versions, up to 3 versions).  So to honour that policy, it seems that MD will allow those people who have 7,8, or 9 to continue to upgrade at discount to at least version 10, and what's less clear is how upgrades up to version 12 will work.

I can see one the following as possible:

1. People with MD 7,8,9 will be able to upgrade directly to 10, while only 8 and 9 will be able to upgrade directly to 11(i.e., skipping one version), and only those with 9 will be able to upgrade directly to 12 (i.e., skipping two versions).

And/or

2. What i view as less likely, is that MD may consider people with at least MD 7 to be a legacy user and to be able to upgrade to version 12 by continuing to upgrade through 10, 11, and then 12 (they may be able to potentially skip some versions during the upgrade process).  

• lilweep said:

Leana said:
    Nath said:
    Leana said:
    galien said:

Their annoucement is confusing.  There is room to make incorrect inferences.

People originally purchased MD 7, 8, 9 thinking they could upgrade at a discount to next version (potentially skipping two versions, up to 3 versions).  So to honour that policy, it seems that MD will allow those people who have 7,8, or 9 to continue to upgrade at discount to at least version 10, and what's less clear is how upgrades up to version 12 will work.

I can see one the following as possible:

1. People with MD 7,8,9 will be able to upgrade directly to 10, while only 8 and 9 will be able to upgrade directly to 11(i.e., skipping one version), and only those with 9 will be able to upgrade directly to 12 (i.e., skipping two versions).

And/or

2. What i view as less likely, is that MD may consider people with at least MD 7 to be a legacy user and to be able to upgrade to version 12 by continuing to upgrade through 10, 11, and then 12 (they may be able to potentially skip some versions during the upgrade process).  

From reading the notification they have a 3 versions back upgrade policy. So if you don't upgrade from 7 to 10 then you're done. But if you upgrade from 7 to 10 then you should be able to upgrade from 10 to 12 without buying 11.

There's a thread in their community as well and understandably some users are unhappy. They are going to lower the cost of the personal subscription from the current price when the reach version 13. So we'll have to wait and see what that price point becomes. If it's $7.95 / month then it's no more expensive than Netflix or Hulu or something.

Personally, I'm on the fence on this issue. I will wait and see if this leads to more features and innovations before making a judgement.

• KharmaKharma Posts: 3,214

I have been practicing with the trial version of MD and am curious what regular users do to convert their tri mesh to quads?  What is the best practice to do this?  I know MD has a couple built in options but they don't seem to give you a great mesh with proper flow.  Can anyone recommend a great tutorial or what their method of changing the mesh to quads is?

• Kharma said:

I have been practicing with the trial version of MD and am curious what regular users do to convert their tri mesh to quads?  What is the best practice to do this?  I know MD has a couple built in options but they don't seem to give you a great mesh with proper flow.  Can anyone recommend a great tutorial or what their method of changing the mesh to quads is?

You can do it in MD or if you use zbrush you can do it there.
  • I've just started using marvelous designer with my Patrick Troughton (second Doctor) model. I'm still learning to create clothes so hope to improve. I'm mainly using it for cloth sim in animation. Unfortunately as I have to export from MD using Alembic I then have to remap all the separate clothing, as Alembic doesn't export textures. I was wondering if there was a quicker way of doing this. If I export it as an object I can have uvmaps for each clothing, but don't know if I can somehow transfer the uv to the alembic? Alembic just exports one default map of all the clothing.
    IMG_20200908_211515.jpg
    3137 x 2448 - 2M
  • Looks like this thread is dead as no one updates it anymore. Shame.
    Looks like this thread is dead as no one updates it anymore. Shame.

Um it is dead but that's why bumping threads was invented.

I've just started using marvelous designer with my Patrick Troughton (second Doctor) model. I'm still learning to create clothes so hope to improve. I'm mainly using it for cloth sim in animation. Unfortunately as I have to export from MD using Alembic I then have to remap all the separate clothing, as Alembic doesn't export textures. I was wondering if there was a quicker way of doing this. If I export it as an object I can have uvmaps for each clothing, but don't know if I can somehow transfer the uv to the alembic? 

what software are you rendering in?  Existing workflows might be applicable to speed up adding textures.

Alembic just exports one default map of all the clothing.

default map?

• RurisRuris Posts: 123

@lilweep, thanks for the help on the other thread

I checked some youtube video and when they switch to UV editor, the layout is mostly the same as simulation, not sure what I got wrong here. As every pieces are stacked together and require manual arrangement.

Forum 14.jpg
    1767 x 1003 - 203K
    edited October 2020
    Ruris said:

@lilweep, thanks for the help on the other thread

I checked some youtube video and when they switch to UV editor, the layout is mostly the same as simulation, not sure what I got wrong here. As every pieces are stacked together and require manual arrangement.

Cant remember but I think if you select them all and right click, you can arrange layout of pattern pieces to 2D viewport view.  (I dont have MD open at the moment but from memory there is something like that.)