Carrara Challenge VIII - "The Great Race" or "Don't Fence Me In" - WIP Thread is Open

Comments

• evilproducerevilproducer Posts: 9,040
    edited December 1969

I had no idea that we could layer multiple height maps on top of one another. This adds an enormous amount of flexibility, as we can set the specifics for each map separately. Need to knock out some more pointy thingies? Make another nice, smooth map of the path you need, and put it in with whatever height is needed to create the effect. I'm loving this!

Howler really helps. With 3D Designer built in I can see my height maps before I'm done with them. PuppyRay can actually texture it and raytrace it using my graphics card with Global Illumination! I'm loving this! :)

I think I did that with my Fantasy Village Terrain. I believe I added the same map twice to kind of clamp down on the shoreline or transitions between levels on the terrain and still get the depth I needed for the ponds.

• SileneUKSileneUK Posts: 1,969
    edited December 1969

Using various layer of height maps to achieve more specific control, and it works!
    Some Test shots and the height maps loaded into 3D Designer of Howler, to show what each map does by itself.

Sorry to be DUH, but did you create the terrain in Howler? Does it do THAT? Or did you make it in Car and then went to Howler for texturising?

Anywho... here's my scene resurrected from bloody crash. I am displaying the WIP part in Gourard so you can see all the individual animals and they are not replicated. Am fairly happy with the blood part. It's not meant to be about gore, it's about the caribou migration run and the hunters and lion and scavengers to be added.

Have to do the background now..... that's going to take some time so I won't be posting anymore WIPs until next week at least. Is the use of any HDRI background allowed, even if my own photo or something I created in PS?

Thanks! This is fun....most of the time. :) Silene

5.png
    1332 x 1470 - 3M
  • DartanbeckDartanbeck Posts: 21,106
    edited December 1969

That is looking very sweet, Silene!
    I used Howler to paint the height maps for use in Carrara. The pics of the height maps for this post were sent into Howler's 3d Designer to visualize a possible end result. But I actually used the Carrara terrain modeler and imported the maps in there. I also used Howler for the motion blur.

Yeah, I think the blood works nicely. And like you say... not a gore-bash. Very nice.

Sweetheart,
    Good luck and good fortune on your surgery. I hope that everything goes perfectly for you. Rosie and I are praying for you :)
    Just think... finally that crippling pain can subside, right?

edited March 2014

That is looking very sweet, Silene!
    I used Howler to paint the height maps for use in Carrara. The pics of the height maps for this post were sent into Howler's 3d Designer to visualize a possible end result. But I actually used the Carrara terrain modeler and imported the maps in there. I also used Howler for the motion blur.

Yeah, I think the blood works nicely. And like you say... not a gore-bash. Very nice.

Sweetheart,
    Good luck and good fortune on your surgery. I hope that everything goes perfectly for you. Rosie and I are praying for you :)
    Just think... finally that crippling pain can subside, right?

OK, will look into Howler when I am more advanced with terrain making. This is the first time I have made anything like terrain or cliffs thanks so much and to EP too. Now I have to start on sky but am side-tracked rigging a hyena. Hmmmmm.

Appreciate your and Rosie's positive thoughts and prayers... it's always dodgy when you have someone dig a hole in your spine. But it's a simple procedure, it's just the surgeon thinks my odds of getting rid of all the pain if 60/40 vs 90/100 in most cases. It's only a herniated disc FFS but there seem to be more than just one nerve irritated/connected so that's why he's not sure trimming the herinated disc will stop any other nerve(s) in the are from continuing to cause aggro. But it will improve the one nerve that is causing the worst pain... and I will do PT and start exercising/walking again if I can. Have gained 20 pounds!!!!! :sick: I fear the consequences of that more than surgery! And having to wean of some of these drugs. Ugh.

Oh well... committed now and I will stay positive. There are other people with much worse health problems than me. So fingers crossed!

xx :) Silene

Post edited by SileneUK on
    edited December 1969

Good for you. Positive is a good way to be - especially when rigging a Hyena! LOL

BTW, I feel that I might have lured you incorrectly. Height maps can be made in any image editor/painting tool. It's just a gray scale image where white = high and black = low. There's even a built in paint room in the terrain editor for doing this, but many of us like having the added tools and layers in Photoshop, Dogwaffle, Gimp, etc.,

But I am fairly new to Dogwaffle Howler, and am enormously impressed with the latest and greatest Howler 9.2, coming out very soon. But even earlier editions have the 3D Designer, which is really fun to play with, but us Carrara artists usually use Carrara for that part! ;)

edited December 1969

laurenwbr said:
    Using various layer of height maps to achieve more specific control, and it works!
    Some Test shots and the height maps loaded into 3D Designer of Howler, to show what each map does by itself.

Sorry to be DUH, but did you create the terrain in Howler? Does it do THAT? Or did you make it in Car and then went to Howler for texturising?

Anywho... here's my scene resurrected from bloody crash. I am displaying the WIP part in Gourard so you can see all the individual animals and they are not replicated. Am fairly happy with the blood part. It's not meant to be about gore, it's about the caribou migration run and the hunters and lion and scavengers to be added.

Have to do the background now..... that's going to take some time so I won't be posting anymore WIPs until next week at least. Is the use of any HDRI background allowed, even if my own photo or something I created in PS?

Thanks! This is fun....most of the time. :) Silene

I would think an HDRI would be perfectly acceptable. If you're using it for an image based light (IBL), then make sure Skylight is enabled in the render room.

I should also mention that a realistic sky will also act as an IBL. If you change your key light to a sunlight it is tied to the RSE for position and brightness. There are many presets. Under the Misc. tab in the Browser you should see some. Select Scene in the Instances palette and then the General tab. Drag the icon for the sky you want to use and drop it on the Atmosphere in the General tab.

• PhilWPhilW Posts: 5,139
    edited December 1969

Hi Lauren/Silene, Not sure this is the right place, but just wanted to wish you all the best for your procedure - we'll be thinking of you. x

edited December 1969

PhilW said:
    Hi Lauren/Silene, Not sure this is the right place, but just wanted to wish you all the best for your procedure - we'll be thinking of you. x

I agree with Phil! Best of luck!

edited December 1969

PhilW said:
    She's a Work In Progress, and is in this competition - of course it's the right place! ;)
    edited December 1969

I would think an HDRI would be perfectly acceptable.

Especially images you've taken yourself! Bravo!
  • d-j-od-j-o Posts: 345
    edited December 1969

PhilW said:

Same here, good luck!

edited December 1969

Here is my start of the terrain, and the rain, I had to adjust some setting to make it darker otherwise in my scene it wasn't visible.

My terrain I exported the map and then in photoshop edited it for a road and imported it back in, then painted the road in then in photoshop add all the grass color, next I'm painting in the details and It's all going to be covered in replicated grass, weeds and rocks.

cloud_ground1.png
    1304 x 758 - 546K
    cloud_ground_2.png
    956 x 773 - 129K
    cloud7.png
    822 x 645 - 411K
    edited December 1969

kashyyyk said:
    Here is my start of the terrain, and the rain, I had to adjust some setting to make it darker otherwise in my scene it wasn't visible.

My terrain I exported the map and then in photoshop edited it for a road and imported it back in, then painted the road in then in photoshop add all the grass color, next I'm painting in the details and It's all going to be covered in replicated grass, weeds and rocks.

Thank you all very much for the good wishes...I feel very encouraged by them. I've felt very isolated these last 7 months...and all of you have been an inspiration to learn something new and kept my mind off my back and been great mentors as well as wonderful online friends!

Kashyyyk, That tornado/cyclone/typhoon is amazing...I am glad you are posting how you are doing it....very helpful if some day I could think to try it. Can't wait to see the finished scene!

edited December 1969

kashyyyk said:

Very cool stuff!
  • DiomedeDiomede Posts: 15,027
    edited December 1969

PhilW said:

@Lauren/Silene - Wish you the best. Plus, your WIP is looking great. You did a very good job on the blood. If you want to add a little more that is dripping, you might try the metaball modeler, but I think you have the right amount now.

@Kashyyk - terrific job on the storm. Your approach to the rain seems to be working out. That is what I like about these challenges. Always learning how people solve neat problems in ways that can be used later.

@PhilW - yes, there is no such thing as a bad place to wish someone well.

edited December 1969

Great job. I don't know why I assumed that you couldn't combine heightmaps. I just went back and played with my attempt to make the RR. Combining heightmaps could make it even easier. What an easy way to raise or lower specific areas of a terrain while simultaneously having a map to control its shader! Amazing.

edited December 1969

de3an said:
    Jay_NOLA said:
    If someone is looking for some inspiration TCM (Turner Classic Movies) is Showing The Great Race on Saturday, March 29 at 4:00 PM central time. (Check your listings to get the time for your area and in case the site I got the time from had it incorrect.)

This movie was the inspiration for Hanna-Barbera's Wacky Races and has been an inspiration for others series, movies, etc.

Thanks for the heads up.

This is my favorite comedy movie of all time! If you haven't seen it, watch it now. (2:00 PM pacific time)

Come for the race... Stay for the pie fight.

Pie fight is on now!

edited December 1969

diomede64 said:

Great job. I don't know why I assumed that you couldn't combine heightmaps. I just went back and played with my attempt to make the RR. Combining heightmaps could make it even easier. What an easy way to raise or lower specific areas of a terrain while simultaneously having a map to control its shader! Amazing.It's not that I thought that I couldn't, it's just that I never knew I could! ;)

edited December 1969

For the field I created a quick corn stalk for the background. It's low detail but should fit my needs.

But since I couldn't find one and had to make it, I put it up at sharecg with my police car texture for anyone to use too.

http://www.sharecg.com/v/75440/view/6/Texture/Daz-Studios-Yamaki-Car-Police-Texture
    http://www.sharecg.com/v/75439/view/5/3D-Model/Carrara-Corn-Stalk

corn2.png
    470 x 412 - 222K
    corn.png
    416 x 463 - 222K
    edited December 1969

Cool! Thanks! I'll have to check it out.

edited March 2014

Here's my latest version. I just need to work out a couple more things, and I think I'll be done.

I still need to work on the tombstone texture. I like the old lettering effect I achieved, but I need to work on better weathering. I have a couple ideas to try.

Tree_of_life.jpg
    2000 x 1236 - 2M
    Post edited by evilproducer on
  • VarselVarsel Posts: 574
    edited December 1969

So I got my race... horse ... done.
    It's modelled in Hexagon, and setup in Carrara with ball joints constraints.

Just a quick test, with some hedge jumping action shoot.

Untitled-3.jpg
    800 x 600 - 125K
    Doc1.jpg
    800 x 600 - 361K
    edited December 1969

Varsel said:

Going for the Grand National theme for next week ( I think it's next week)? Your bot-horse will have a more humane run than some of the poor horses that actually take part.

Nice construction, Varsel, can't wait to see your colourful field! Can we make bets?

edited December 1969

Here's my initial idea, in a sketch state.... Dessert race in between canyons and sanddunes.
    This is from the preparation to the race - get to know the route.

I first created the basic terrain, to something that looked like what I was aiming for. Then I converted it to a vertex object, and selecting the polygons where the track would be, flattened them (using soft selection helps with the edges).
    Using the paint tool to mark the track, and using this in a multichannel mixer to get the asphalt on the track.
    The road signs are simple vertex object.

laurenwbr said:
    Varsel said:

Going for the Grand National theme for next week ( I think it's next week)? Your bot-horse will have a more humane run than some of the poor horses that actually take part.

Nice construction, Varsel, can't wait to see your colourful field! Can we make bets?

Thanks Silene..
    Then I got curios, and goggled Grand National. And its from 3-5 of April. And beside the pictures of the car, there where a lot of pictures and posters that did offer some inspiration.

Doc1.jpg
    1000 x 563 - 501K
    edited December 1969

Here's my latest version. I just need to work out a couple more things, and I think I'll be done.

I still need to work on the tombstone texture. I like the old lettering effect I achieved, but I need to work on better weathering. I have a couple ideas to try.

This is a very nice scene. When you mention weathering, I'm thinking, eroded too, faded etching and moss if this side faces away from the sun,

edited April 2014

You wouldn't consider it cheating if you heard what the racers were saying about Rosie's Fly Dragon, whom, like Rosie, was originally just there to watch the race!

This is just a raw render for the WIP thread... lots more to add, including my replicators. The terrain definitely qualifies as one of the Carrara objects need as per the rules. Started from scratch on that. But I still have a few replicators going in and some more terrain pieces, that I'll be making from scratch, just for this contest.

FlyDragonTest1a.jpg
    1280 x 720 - 1M
    Post edited by Dartanbeck on
    edited December 1969

Since laurenwbr did mention it, I started to explore the idea of the Grand Nationale.

But these mech's are expensive, so there are only four riders this year..... :cheese:

For the grass, I did follow a tutorial by DimensionTheory :
    Part 1 http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z_kucTAys4Y
    Part 2 http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nQmXxPqXWR8

Started with the base shape, replicated that in a circle, and created real instanses. This gives you a group of (for me) 100 objects.
    Exported this group out as an .obj, and when reimported back into Carrara the group is converted into one object.

Since this is a racetrack, there will be some damages and flattened areas. So my ground is a vertex object, with two shading domains.
    Healthy grass on one, and a copy of the healthy grass, that I flattened and re-textured.

The big cucumber in the back will eventually be transformed into a hedge.... ;-)

grass1.jpg
    556 x 517 - 68K
    grass2.jpg
    1267 x 706 - 666K
    grass3.jpg
    1211 x 644 - 869K
    Doc2.jpg
    1000 x 563 - 368K
    edited December 1969

Varsel said:
    Since laurenwbr did mention it, I started to explore the idea of the Grand Nationale.

But these mech's are expensive, so there are only four riders this year..... :cheese:

For the grass, I did follow a tutorial by DimensionTheory :
    Part 1 http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z_kucTAys4Y
    Part 2 http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nQmXxPqXWR8

Started with the base shape, replicated that in a circle, and created real instanses. This gives you a group of (for me) 100 objects.
    Exported this group out as an .obj, and when reimported back into Carrara the group is converted into one object.

Since this is a racetrack, there will be some damages and flattened areas. So my ground is a vertex object, with two shading domains.
    Healthy grass on one, and a copy of the healthy grass, that I flattened and re-textured.

The big cucumber in the back will eventually be transformed into a hedge.... ;-)

Yes wouldn't mind being a virtual Grand National Horse race with hedges, water hazards, etc. Too many horses in the field for my taste, and they get knocked down, jockeys dumped off.... general chaos. It's just luck who winds actually IMHO.

Looks like a very humane version!

:) SileneUK

http://www.aintree.co.uk/pages/grand-national/

edited December 1969

Great looking grass! Silene... are you back? How do you feel?

edited December 1969

Great looking grass! Silene... are you back? How do you feel?

Like I've been stabbed in the back with a scalpel! It was a bit more complicated than expected, but I will be fine once it all heals. What a relief. Time is on my side, though, for real work. And I can finish my WIP, too!

Thanks for asking.

xx :) SileneUK