a using DAZ content in UE4 thread

1234568»

Comments

• EllessarrEllessarr Posts: 1,390
    Macislav said:

Example is from  the normal version, but DQ version has same glitch.

Example has one simple color material only (skin textures have the same problem).

Do you know of any specific material settings or node setups, which could solve this? This is a general problem with morph targets, because makehuman characters have this as well.

Really no one has noticed it?

you means the "materail have only "base color"???, if yes then that could be the problem, you need to have in your material "all the minimum maps for human skin", which means: base color, normal map, ambient occlusion, rougness and specular, those are the minimum without count others "extra maps" for some minor details like pores, veins, wet, dirty, but the basic ones are that 5 in the material, if you don't proper apply it, you can get some bugs with the light, because your shader material is not proper configured.

• MacislavMacislav Posts: 126

I've tried different types of texture maps, except an AO map and it didn't change anything. Only the normal map refined the edges of the shadow spot, but the dark spot is still there. Playing around with the AO channel didn't help either as I don't have any AO map textures. Can someone try it out with an AO map texture?

Macislav said:

I've tried different types of texture maps, except an AO map and it didn't change anything. Only the normal map refined the edges of the shadow spot, but the dark spot is still there. Playing around with the AO channel didn't help either as I don't have any AO map textures. Can someone try it out with an AO map texture?

to generate a AO map you have 2 ways one is using substance paint bake system, they bake also generate AO maps, or you can try this:

http://cpetry.github.io/NormalMap-Online/

this site allow you to create a Ambient Occlusion map, or you can try find a tutorial on youtube about how to create, going back to the site "you can use the bump map" as the height map, but i can try to check it later about that bug.

ok i've posted this on unreal forum but i feel which maybe i can get it here too from peoples already using or at last which maybe know how to deal with it but let's go:

Anyone know anyway to "group all the character skin textures in a "single texture" or how to group then in a "single material i means that, because while using daz character outside daz like in unreal could be fine have multiple materials it can be a bit of chore and annoying to have to assemble base colors, normals, roughness, metalical, normal, AO, specular into each material and is even more terrific if you want to create a characters customization as i'm doing, to have to deal with too many materials or textures at same times, would be very good if i could have a way to or mix everything in a single  texture (without have to go to all the work in redo uvs and textures manually in maya or photoshop), or if not at last in a single material, or in worst case be able to at last "group all materials in a "single material (instanced or not), then using this sort of "master material"/instanced i can controll all the others materials because when creating a character custom and option to "choose" different skins i would just need to have multiple "master materials/instanced, for each skin color and not have to deal with x number of materials for each skin i want to be assigned to the character, which would make the "blueprint more bloated", than it need, would be very helpfull if anyone know a way to deal with it.

• Ellessarr, one of the updates I've made to my plugin (I haven't published it with this yet) is that each object gets it's own base material that has the most common settings from the materials for that object.  Then each of the individual materials will inherit those settings that match.  This way, if a set of hair has 10 different surfaces, you can modify most of the values in just one material.

In the future. I want to add options to actually combine surfaces that are similar, that's down the road though.

edited June 2020

Ellessarr, one of the updates I've made to my plugin (I haven't published it with this yet) is that each object gets it's own base material that has the most common settings from the materials for that object.  Then each of the individual materials will inherit those settings that match.  This way, if a set of hair has 10 different surfaces, you can modify most of the values in just one material.

In the future. I want to add options to actually combine surfaces that are similar, that's down the road though.

interesting news and also i've read your post, in the unreal forum and i've purchuased your pluging, as i told for now i'm not using it because it's seens the most "importante updates currently for me are the ones which are still comming then i'm waiting for that.

that could be reallly usefull because you must know how is really tiresome to have to "adjust so many "materials for a 'single character skins", that is why would be good be able to combine all in a single skin material like most of non daz characters where everything is place in a single texture/uv material, rater than a material for each body piece, as i told while for "working in a single character it can be "fine" when trying to work with multiple and my multiple i means "a lot" or when trying to make a customization it can be a big nightmare to have to adjust each skin set with "too many materials" also it can affect perfomance, having too many materials being called like that instead of a single one", then being able to create a sort of "single skin material with all the pieces material would be perfect.

For exemple iclone character creation already have a option like that where you can choose between have multiple materais/texture or a single one combining all the textures/materials in a single one when exporting to unreal, at last for the skin for the cloths they gonna still come in they own uvs but to have a single skin material is much more easy to work than have to work with like 6 to 8 textures/material.

then later i will try to contact you by the mail.

Post edited by Ellessarr on
  • mindsongmindsong Posts: 1,693

Ellessarr, one of the updates I've made to my plugin (I haven't published it with this yet)

Speaking of updates, please be sure and let us know if you decide to add support for the Genesis1 figure in a future update - A couple of us would be very pleased if that was up there on the todo list!

cheers,

--ms

• mindsong said:

Speaking of updates, please be sure and let us know if you decide to add support for the Genesis1 figure in a future update - A couple of us would be very pleased if that was up there on the todo list!

cheers,

--ms

Working on that now.  I'm making some updates so hopefully any figure type should be transfer decently.  https://trello.com/b/jflWglcp/daz-to-unreal

When it's ready I'll put up some screenshots.

hello, here some more news update about "the future of unreal" for both 4.2x and the incoming 5x

here a "small sumary" about what is coming in 4.26 +

Man i'm really excited about the incoming updates to unreal, it's really looks fantastic they are really pushing hard into the incoming the 3d tech.

edited August 2020

ok guys here some "images of my current game footage:

main game menu:

character selection:

here a image of the first level and gameplay style:

take in mind it's still a really early pre-alpha in development footage and i'm open to feedbacks, the game will be a classic call back to old 2d hack& slash games inspired on golden axe; dungeons & dragon; and knight of the round

here the "first level image, take in acount which it still don't have the UI(hp bars and bla bla bla), i'm still developing the compat mechanics, like attacks, i'm in the middle of make the "combo" i've already made a block, dash attack, the characters gonna be able to "walk, run, crounch, jump, some of then block(female and male barbarins), it's gonna have a "archer as ranged character and a mage to cast all spells, in later stage of development.

My plans is to release a alpha demo with the 2 main characters (the 2 barbarians) then later release others demos with new characters as they are being added, the demo will be only first level.

the game will gonna have "combat, some "traps", maybe mounted combat, if kickstarter be a sucess it also will have some "level secrets, like more than one route(possible to have 2 diferent bosses fo almost all levels each one based on the "path you choose in the middle of the level), when going from one level to another "be able to "choose between "diferent levels( many levels will have "alternative levels to choose") like when finishing one level then you gonna get a choose to where to go next like if go throught the mountains or throught the swamp, each one with they own "type of enemies and bosses), when choosing where to go it can lead to "some different secrets which can only be attained on that level, creating a "replay game", each time you gonna play you can make "new choices" leading to different paths and rewards, ofcourse you gonna still have the "same final level and boss" but each time you play you gonna reach him with "different stuffs" like "different weapons, spells and "others stuffs" i can't give "too much spoilers", but if you already played all the 3 games i've mentioned before then you have a idea of what i'm aiming.

the game will gonna have a "score system which also will be used as "xp" and the characters can "level up' and become strong and well... again surprise, no spoilers, also the player will get "money" to buy stuffs like potions, weapons, some magical stuffs and others stuffs aswell.

i'm planing to the game be "local multiplayer" maybe online, at first i'm planing to be a 2 players game but if things goes well it can go to up 4 players.

my plans is to release this first "alpha demo" or near this year ending (near the end of december) or in the beggining of next year, between january and februacy, if everything goes right and i'm able to finish all fast then maybe i can release it more early, if not then really only next year and i'm hoping in worst case scene at march.

names used on the screen are "placeholders" not the "final name in game".

all the main characters are characters from daz studio, also the "barmaid in the main menu cheeky,  i'm planning to use daz for others characters, even 'enemies", if everything goes well, but also i gonna have to use non daz characters stuffs like some "monsters".

well i really hope things keep going "well", ( to be fair i'm a bit stuck in the combo system for now, but i hope be able to fix it in time), now my next step will be work on the "bars"(health/mana/stam) to move on to the combat and start to work on the enemies.

Post edited by Ellessarr on
  • WendyLuvsCatzWendyLuvsCatz Posts: 37,784

looks pretty cool yes

lol unreal finally get his own forum and get the "free version of the pluggin of daz to unreal.

• mmkdazmmkdaz Posts: 335

Hey Ellessarr!!! Really Cool game!

• DzzzmanDzzzman Posts: 8

Ellessarr said:

lol unreal finally get his own forum and get the "free version of the pluggin of daz to unreal.

Have you ever found another way to get even closer to getting the daz quality? It's been two years now, I just found this thread and it helped me quite a bunch but I was wondering if there was another even better way now

• SkinSkin Posts: 0

Ellessarr said:

looks like I didn't complete the process, yes I painted the cloth with that brush but not all that stuff afterwards 

that was what i was thinking you missed, the part to apply the data to the mesh, because on that point what you did was "create the data info" not really added the effect to the hair, you just told the engine where you want to have the effect in the mesh then you would still need to make the engine "apply" it now, well now with that turorial more peoples can try to "play with it.

Another thing which i also forget to say is which since i think it was version 4.18 or something close to that they added a new type of collision capsule, called "cloth capsule or cloth collision capsule or something like that, in general that "new capsule opton work pretty much like the "regular capsule" the difference is which that "new capsule" can be "morphed in better shapes, normally in the regular capsule it don't allow you for exemple scale down one side of the capsule alone or scale one side down and the other side up, that "new capsule allow it, she is much better which allow you make the capsule deform in a much more "precise form for legs and arms to help you, to enable that capsule you must delete the regular one then when trying to add the new capsules you must look to add a capsule with that "new name"  if i'm not wrong it have a different color than the regular one, so far i only tried one time to use that capsule but i was not sure if she was good because  based on her name it's looked like she only work for cloths and maybe others thing which needs that collision capsules could not work(if it'not the "regular capsule" that is why i stopped to test on it and already a good times since the last time i touched it then i don't know if they improved it or not, then any one wanting can give a try on it and see if you liked.

Is there any well detailed tutorial on how to import Daz3D character with anatomical elements and geoshells into UE5?

edited October 2022

I updated from DAZ 4.11 to 4.20 and now it no longer works, tried latest dll from Github, no luck

no skeletal mesh

my old DAZ to unreal exports work so it's the studio end

sigh, 

animations export

the FBX works elsewhere it's the dtu file

older dtu files work

considering using compare in Notepad++ to create one

Post edited by WendyLuvsCatz on
  • WendyLuvsCatz said:

I updated from DAZ 4.11 to 4.20 and now it no longer works, tried latest dll from Github, no luck

no skeletal mesh

my old DAZ to unreal exports work so it's the studio end

sigh, 

animations export

the FBX works elsewhere it's the dtu file

older dtu files work

considering using compare in Notepad++ to create one

Sounds like you are using a mismatched versions of the DazStudio plugin and UnrealEngine plugin.  Make sure both are from the exact same github repository and release version.  Make sure you do not have duplicate Unreal Engine plugins in your UnrealProject\Plugins folder, UnrealEngine\Plugins folder, and UnrealEngine\Plugins\Marketplace folders.

looks like I need the old version of the DAZ plugin then as I want to be able to continue to use all my previously exported content in UE4.27,

I found my old zip, had to fiddle around customisation to get it to show in the beta but manually installed it there,

the newer one can be for UE5 when I decide to use that as much of my multitude of Unreal assets don't work there either so will simply treat both as separate workflows.

• catmastercatmaster Posts: 226
    edited October 2022

UE4 is very useful for converting animations to G8 characters, which then imported to UE5 for rendering. The new UE5.1.0 preview was released yesterday which finally gets the complex retarget system working but still too new to get plugin support from vendors. There's a useful Daz template for UE4.26 which can be automatically converted to UE4.27 after recompiling its required plugins:
    https://github.com/guto88/Daz3dThirdPersonTemplate

The current DazToUnreal version v2022.2.18 can be installed to multiple Unreal Engine versions.
    https://github.com/daz3d/DazToUnreal/releases

UE5 currently is too glitchy because of bugged baked lighting, very slow shaders compilation, and physics engine freezing plus performance issues. It's great as rendering engine with Lumen enabled, perfectly suitable to make additional pre rendered CG movies for UE4 based games. Fortnite and The Matrix Awakens are powered by UE5 so they say the engine is production ready but they're made by the same developers who made the engine itself so it's easier for them to fix any engine problems. Currently I'm still a noob trying to handle the Unreal beast but with the ultra sketchy Unreal documentation and most old tutorials not compatible, it's better to use UE4.27Chaos that I found is quite stable with new chaos engine, and because I want to release my game in few months. Next game I'll be developing would use UE5.1 for better long term support.

Things may change with UE5.1 if it becomes more reliable with the new features: https://portal.productboard.com/epicgames/1-unreal-engine-public-roadmap/tabs/80-unreal-engine-5-1-in-progress

Update: Some of the UE5 glitches can be fixed by tweaking settings and adding additional functions etc. Attached images showing how to fix the virtual shadow map glitch and boob physics freezing. Really want the UE5 features in game and switched to using UE5 for game development until hitting another wall... lol

Install.jpg
    3840 x 2160 - 1M
    FixVirtualShadowMap.jpg
    3840 x 2160 - 446K
    FixPhysicsFreezing_WakeAllRigidBodies.JPG
    1313 x 1794 - 100K
    BuggedLightingInUE5.jpg
    3840 x 2160 - 3M
    UE4 Skeleton VS UE5 Skeleton.jpg
    3840 x 2160 - 1M
    UE5ControlRig.jpg
    3840 x 2160 - 1M