Daz studio reserved gpu memory

GalaxyGalaxy Posts: 562
edited June 2020 in The Commons
When the render is finished and render window closed, still gpu memory is not cleared or freed. Is it a feature or bug for current Daz Studio? Also is current Daz studio using more vram than previous versions of Daz Studio?
Post edited by Galaxy on

Comments

• mclaughmclaugh Posts: 221

It may have started out as a bug, but considering it's been that way since at least DS 2.3 (when I started using DS; maybe before that), by now it's a feature. indecision

Does current DS use more VRAM? Hard to say, given the 10-12% VRAM penalty imposed by Windows 10 and the ridiculous 4-12k textures and maps some PAs include. If a render falls to CPU, is that due to DS using more VRAM or texture bloat?

• GalaxyGalaxy Posts: 562

If by now it's a feature then any benefit am I getting if I change scene or characters without closing Daz Studio?

• SevrinSevrin Posts: 6,301
    Galaxy said:

If by now it's a feature then any benefit am I getting if I change scene or characters without closing Daz Studio?

If you need the memory, you're better off restarting Daz.  Sometimes you have to kill it in Task Manager, too.  Yesterday I had Daz hanging around for half an hour in memory after shutting it down normally.

• TaozTaoz Posts: 9,730

It's my impression that it's being reused in the next render, but maybe not all of it is being cleared. 

• kenshaw011267kenshaw011267 Posts: 3,805

No. The VRAM that doesn't get released within a minuite or two of closing the preview window and saving the render is not available until you restart DS.

edited June 2020

No. The VRAM that doesn't get released within a minuite or two of closing the preview window and saving the render is not available until you restart DS.

I see about 2.5 GB VRAM used after render is closed and scene cleared using New.  Are you saying that if I reload and render the scene it will now use 2.5 GB more VRAM than the first time it was rendered?

Post edited by Taoz on
  • kenshaw011267kenshaw011267 Posts: 3,805

Pretty much.

edited June 2020

Pretty much.

Well I've done some tests now and I can hardly see any difference on my system.

After starting DS VRAM use is 3-400 MB.

Then I load a scene and render it in a separate window, when finished VRAM use is 3845 MB (a few MB more than during rendering).

Then I delete the render and clear the scene with File > New, VRAM use is now 2653 MB and stays there.

I load the same scene and repeat everything, numbers are almost the same.  I repeat clearing, reloading and rendering the same scene several times.  VRAM use goes op a little bit every time, about 40-60 MB, that's all. 

Then I simply render the scene multiple times, deleting the render each time, but without clearing and reloading the scene.  There's hardly any difference, sometimes VRAM use increases a few MB, sometimes it decreases a few MB.

That's with the latest general DS release 4.12.1.117, on 10 year old hardware with 8 GB RAM and a GTX 1070 8GB, Studio Driver 442.92.

Post edited by Taoz on