Does 4.12.1.16 allow multiple instances of Studio?

Comments

• MortzeMortze Posts: 184
    Mortze said:

nakamuram002 the script worked a few times but now when I try to use it it just opens the notepad with the following code:

$dspath = "C:\Program Files\DAZ 3D\DAZStudio4\DAZStudio.exe" #Change to your Daz Studio Path.
    start-process -filepath $dspath -argumentlist "-instanceName # -cleanOnLaunch true -cleanOnExit"

Mortze,

That ususally happens when you click on the script.  Did you remember to right-click, then select "run with PowerShell"? 

Jeez! I forgot. 

I tried it at first yesterday and it was already late and I was sleepy.

Sorry to bother you with it. My bad.

• nakamuram002nakamuram002 Posts: 773
    Mortze said:
    Mortze said:

nakamuram002 the script worked a few times but now when I try to use it it just opens the notepad with the following code:

$dspath = "C:\Program Files\DAZ 3D\DAZStudio4\DAZStudio.exe" #Change to your Daz Studio Path.
    start-process -filepath $dspath -argumentlist "-instanceName # -cleanOnLaunch true -cleanOnExit"

Mortze,

That ususally happens when you click on the script.  Did you remember to right-click, then select "run with PowerShell"? 

Jeez! I forgot. 

I tried it at first yesterday and it was already late and I was sleepy.

Sorry to bother you with it. My bad.

No bother - You may have helped someone else with the same problem.  It is nice to know that someone is using my scripts. 

• PatrickBPatrickB Posts: 8

Yes please revert! Multiple instances are critical to our workflows.

• RayDAntRayDAnt Posts: 1,120
    PatrickB said:

FYI multi-instancing is now fully supported in all current releases. You just have to enable it on the commandline when you start the application.

• nakamuram002nakamuram002 Posts: 773
    PatrickB said:

I have created scripts that can help.  See my posts in this thread - About 5-10 posts previous to this one.

• NA_1234NA_1234 Posts: 22

Hi, just wondering what the current status is on this SERIOUS ISSUE.

1. When will an update be released that supports multple instances again properly?

2. Is there a good documentation / guide somewhere about this TEMPORARY script solution everyone is talking about here? I will not read through this entire discussion. How to set it up quickly?

edited June 2020

I didn't really have any problems with the newer 'general relases' (I tried 4.12.1.117 now) except the fact that I cannot open multiple instances anymore. It renders fine and does not crash. Just wanted to find out when they will finally roll back this incredible [change]. Don't want to switch versions all the time in the future. But without multiple instances I just cannot work productively.

Post edited by Richard Haseltine on
  • NA_1234 said:

Hi, just wondering what the current status is on this SERIOUS ISSUE.

1. When will an update be released that supports multple instances again properly?

The current builds do support multiple instances properly. The older way was improper.

NA_1234 said:

2. Is there a good documentation / guide somewhere about this TEMPORARY script solution everyone is talking about here? I will not read through this entire discussion. How to set it up quickly?

The script provides one way of managing the PERMANENTsolution. It's a ist of options, which are also available directlly as command line switches, whih are described in the post with the script https://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/comment/5112696/#Comment_5112696 . The script can either launch a new instance immediately or you can copy the commadn line from an alert and paste it into a new shortcut/alias for launching a DS instance with the chosen options.

The current builds do support multiple instances properly. The older way was improper.

I dont agree. Reason:

In previous builds, when I clicked the program shortcut a second time while the program was already open, a second window opened -> correct behaviour.

In the current build, nothing happens in that situation -> wrong behaviour.

• NA_1234 said:

I dont agree. Reason:

In previous builds, when I clicked the program shortcut a second time while the program was already open, a second window opened -> correct behaviour.

You are using correct as a synonym for desired.

• scorpioscorpio Posts: 8,312
    NA_1234 said:

I dont agree. Reason:

Its not just the people who want to run more than 1 instance this bothers, it also causes perbloms when you shut DS you have to wait ages to reopen DS this is something that is often required due to the aweful way DS handles memory even with a 11gb on my video card I often need to shut down and then reopen DS before rendering to make sure the render doesn't drop to CPU. But for me this is becomeing a moot point as the whole hobby is not really fun or relaxing anymore.

edited June 2020
    scorpio said:
    NA_1234 said:

I dont agree. Reason:

Its not just the people who want to run more than 1 instance this bothers, it also causes perbloms when you shut DS you have to wait ages to reopen DS this is something that is often required due to the aweful way DS handles memory even with a 11gb on my video card I often need to shut down and then reopen DS before rendering to make sure the render doesn't drop to CPU. But for me this is becomeing a moot point as the whole hobby is not really fun or relaxing anymore.

FYI all current versions of Daz Studio now allow you to permanently disable CPU fallback rendering (see the checkbox at the bottom of Render Settings > Advanced > Hardware.) So this is no longer something that needs to be dealt with that way.

Post edited by RayDAnt on
  • SevrinSevrin Posts: 6,301
    RayDAnt said:
    scorpio said:
    NA_1234 said:

I dont agree. Reason:

FYI all current versions of Daz Studio now allow you to permanently disable CPU fallback rendering (see the checkbox at the bottom of Render Settings > Advanced > Hardware.) So this is no longer something that needs to be dealt with that way.

Yeah, but how is not rendering at all a big improvement over dropping to CPU?  I'd rather they figured out a way to remove garbage in memory.

• Hurdy3DHurdy3D Posts: 1,038
    NA_1234 said:

I dont agree. Reason:

he's using correct as a synonym for the standart behavior of other apps... and it's always a bad idea to implement functionality against the standard behavior because it confuses users.

• TaozTaoz Posts: 9,724
    gerster said:
    NA_1234 said:

I dont agree. Reason:

he's using correct as a synonym for the standart behavior of other apps... and it's always a bad idea to implement functionality against the standard behavior because it confuses users.

Well I prefer it the way it is now, I often experienced that clicking the DS icon on the taskbar opened a new instance instead of bringing the one I had running to front.

• fixmypcmikefixmypcmike Posts: 19,565
    gerster said:
    NA_1234 said:

I dont agree. Reason:

It's standard behavior for other apps to allow multiple instances to corrupt each others' files?

edited June 2020
    Sevrin said:
    RayDAnt said:
    scorpio said:
    NA_1234 said:

I dont agree. Reason:

Yeah, but how is not rendering at all a big improvement over dropping to CPU?

Have you ever tried multitasking on your PC while a power virus style AVX512-utilizing app like Iray (on CPU) is unexpectedly running? It's not a pretty sight.

gerster said:
    NA_1234 said:

I dont agree. Reason:

It isn't standard behavior for master project-file structured applications like Daz Studio (or eg. Adobe Premiere Pro) to allow multi-instancing unless some sort of mechanism (like what DS now features) that establsihes unique temp file paths for each instance (hugely complicating inter-application compatibility in the process) is also enabled. Since  allowing it without that threatens the read/write integrity of any per-instance generated temporary files

• I don't understand at all how DAZ can possibly think it's a good idea not to allow multiple instances. It's critical to the workflow of any person who actually understands how to work with DAZ efficiently. Also; it's mental. Obviously the only solution is to restore this functionality. 

• algovincianalgovincian Posts: 2,574

I don't understand at all how DAZ can possibly think it's a good idea not to allow multiple instances. It's critical to the workflow of any person who actually understands how to work with DAZ efficiently. Also; it's mental. Obviously the only solution is to restore this functionality. 

I don't understand why you think DAZ doesn't support multiple instances. The scripts/shortcuts are not that hard to setup, especially for an advanced user looking to use multiple instances.

- Greg

Its just an extremely terrible and unacceptable way to "support" multiple instances.It really can't be called that way at all !

Users should not have to deal with all that technical stuff. This should happen automatically. Developers implement these things. Then the user clicks the program shortcut. If there are some settings involved, define default values (= program behaves like it used to do) and move them to the settings dialog. Like you would do with all other settings.

They can't just pass on the setup process to the users even if they supply a script for it. Take me for example: I have tried a few times already to read through that build highlights post by 'rbtwhiz' and figure out how I have to set it up so it behaves properly (like it did before but without causing the ostensible problems). Guess I'm stupid. Just give us a version that just works out of the box !!! For any number of instances. That's what "supporting multiple instances" should mean. (I'm sure everyone working for DAZ will disagree here, I'm used to that.)

• NA_1234 said:

Its just an extremely terrible and unacceptable way to "support" multiple instances.It really can't be called that way at all !

Users should not have to deal with all that technical stuff. This should happen automatically. Developers implement these things. Then the user clicks the program shortcut. If there are some settings involved, define default values (= program behaves like it used to do) and move them to the settings dialog. Like you would do with all other settings.

They can't just pass on the setup process to the users even if they supply a script for it. Take me for example: I have tried a few times already to read through that build highlights post by 'rbtwhiz' and figure out how I have to set it up so it behaves properly (like it did before but without causing the ostensible problems). Guess I'm stupid. Just give us a version that just works out of the box !!! For any number of instances. That's what "supporting multiple instances" should mean. (I'm sure everyone working for DAZ will disagree here, I'm used to that.)

Most of the command line switches do have default values, or can be omitted entirely. They are there for those who want/need them.

edited June 2020

Ok, I can use it now to open a new program instance, seems to work, it loads settings correctly, all fine. The only thing I do here is enter an instance name and check 'Start Process'. All other BS unchecked.

Why can't DAZ just integrate exactly this behaviour into the program .exe ??? Seems to be rather trivial. The instance name can be generated. Just call it 'daz_studio_instanace_xx' xx running from 00 to 99. Just make it this work without the script.

People who somehow want to use the script for additional functionality (whatever that might be) can still use it.

But whatever, I think I can live with this ... Just think it's very weird ;) Being a little bit less special compared to other applications might be better for Daz studio ...

Post edited by NA_1234 on
  • The script isn't needed - it's justt there as a convenient way to do the job of generating a command line to launch a new DS process and either launching the new instance immediately or presenting the user  with the command line so that it can be pasted into a new alias/shortcut..

• bluejauntebluejaunte Posts: 1,861

So I'm just gonna be "that" guy. How do I start another instance?

99% of Daz Studio users simply will never learn how to do this since there was never any official communication that would reach the gerneral population outside of us few forum nerds. If I wasn't active in the forum I'd still think that multiple Daz Studio instances are simply not supported anymore. Just starting another instance does nothing. In that sense I gotta agree with NA_1234 a bit. This should be the default behavior. And why not explain and advertise this feature, after all it's supposed to be a good thing right? I'd want to let users know in a proactive way if I spent time on such a beneficial feature. Instead it seems burried here in the forum as a sort of foot note.

Or maybe I just missed the grand reveal party?

• algovincianalgovincian Posts: 2,574

99% of Daz Studio users simply will never learn how to do this since there was never any official communication that would reach the gerneral population outside of us few forum nerds. If I wasn't active in the forum I'd still think that multiple Daz Studio instances are simply not supported anymore. Just starting another instance does nothing. In that sense I gotta agree with NA_1234 a bit. This should be the default behavior. And why not explain and advertise this feature, after all it's supposed to be a good thing right? I'd want to let users know in a proactive way if I spent time on such a beneficial feature. Instead it seems burried here in the forum as a sort of foot note.

Or maybe I just missed the grand reveal party?

You're right - that's fair.

I could understand somebody saying "I can't launch separate instances the way I used to and I don't feel like reading this whole thread - a little help please?"

This is absolutely one of those one of those times when a proper manual is the real answer, but to say DS doesn't "allow" or "support" multiple instances is factually wrong. 

- Greg

edited June 2020

Under Windows 10...

1. Right click on the DS shortcut in the start menu and select more > open file location
    2. Right click on the actual DS shortcut file and select Properties
    3. Go to the Target field and add " -instanceName #" (minus the double quotes) after the final double quote already there.
    4. Click ok

You can now start unlimited instances of Daz Studio with that shortcut.

• SevrinSevrin Posts: 6,301
    RayDAnt said:
    Sevrin said:
    RayDAnt said:
    scorpio said:
    NA_1234 said:

I dont agree. Reason:

Have you ever tried multitasking on your PC while a power virus style AVX512-utilizing app like Iray (on CPU) is unexpectedly running? It's not a pretty sight.

You mean like a few months ago?  No biggie.  Just stop the render and make adjustments.

Sevrin said:
    RayDAnt said:
    Sevrin said:
    RayDAnt said:
    scorpio said:
    NA_1234 said:

I dont agree. Reason:

You mean like a few months ago?  No biggie.  Just stop the render and make adjustments.

Have you ever tried rendering on a laptop/desktop with adequate cooling on the GPU and barely adequate cooling on the CPU while a power virus style AVX512-utilizing app like Iray (on CPU) can suddenly take over any time - including when you aren't around to stop it? There are cases where being able to deactivate CPU fallback is a godsend.

• LenioTGLenioTG Posts: 2,118

How do I enable multiple instances without having to launch the script every time?

I used to close Daz, instead of clearing the scene, and to open another instance.
    In the meantime, that scene would have cleared in the background, and I would have saved some minutes.

How can I do that again?