More Non-photorealisitic Renders (NPR II)

Comments

• Oso3DOso3D Posts: 14,886

Miraculous is a lot of fun.

It's actually a French show (thus being set in Paris)

• 3Diva3Diva Posts: 11,287
    edited June 2020

I found this marvellous guy over at SketchFab. I exported him as an OBJ from Blender then imported him into Daz Studio and hit him with one of my NPR Shader Presets:

ELR NPR - SketchFab Import - Fruit Juice Guy 7.jpg
    1000 x 1300 - 351K
    Post edited by 3Diva on
  • mindsongmindsong Posts: 1,693
    edited June 2020

Brilliant work - great catch in finding appreciating this fellow - just oozing with character and personality.

Your shaders are a perfect style-match!

--ms

Post edited by mindsong on
    edited June 2020
    mindsong said:

Brilliant work - great catch in finding appreciating this fellow - just oozing with character and personality.

--ms

haha When I saw him I was like Ahhhhh HE'S SO COOL! I just had to find a way to get him into DS. Thankful someone in the Commons posted about importing Blender files into Daz Studio and I was like - PERFECT! I had no clue how to use Blender (still don't) but I at least was able to figure out how to import and export as an OBJ. lol That's all I needed. He's such a cool model - I'm glad that the guy who sculpted him made him available for download with a CC Attribution licence. 

I really would like to earn how to use Blender properly one of these days, but it's so unintuitive and un-user-friendly, imo. I've tried several times to do things in it and it's just ALL Keyboard Shortcuts and my memory is just too sucky for that. I just want to be able to pick up a mouse or a stylus and sculpt, but NO you have to enter in all these weird key combinations and values and it's all entirely too unintuitive for my taste. It's a shame too, because apparently Blender can do some really awesome NPR renders. It would be great to be able to learn how to do that. But that program just gives me a massive headache anytime I try and do anything in it - and don't even get me started on texturing and shaders in there. I can't make heads or tails of it.

Post edited by 3Diva on
  • mindsongmindsong Posts: 1,693
    mindsong said:

--ms

haha When I saw him I was like Ahhhhh HE'S SO COOL! I just had to find a way to get him into DS. Thankful someone in the Commons posted about importing Blender files into Daz Studio and I was like - PERFECT! I had no clue how to use Blender (still don't) but I at least was able to figure out how to import and export as an OBJ. lol That's all I needed. He's such a cool model - I'm glad that the guy who sculpted him made him available for download with a CC Attribution licence. 

I really would like to earn how to use Blender properly one of these days, but it's so unintuitive and un-user-friendly, imo. I've tried several times to do things in it and it's just ALL Keyboard Shortcuts and my memory is just too sucky for that. I just want to be able to pick up a mouse or a stylus and sculpt, but NO you have to enter in all these weird key combinations and values and it's all entirely too unintuitive for my taste. It's a shame too, because apparently Blender can do some really awesome NPR renders. It would be great to be able to learn how to do that. But that program just gives me a massive headache anytime I try and do anything in it - and don't even get me started on texturing and shaders in there. I can't make heads or tails of it.

That's a path I'm starting down, so I'll report back if I have any better luck. It really seems like it's different for each person, so the jury is still out here.

FWIW, i've also heard of similar struggles with migrations to/from Poser, Carrara, Iclone, etc. so perhaps it's the change more than the keystrokes, given they all do very similar things.

I've also heard that the Blender 2.8x updates are really making big strides in user-friendliness, and matching the conventions found in these sorts of apps, so maybe my timing will be more forgiving than it was in previous versions. (I hope so).

I'll be using DS for its strengths, but migrating for some other functions. Sadly, I like the DS NPR 3DL stuff, so there may be some round-trips involved. I'll have to see how the workflow develops and/or learn some of the NPR stuff in the other platforms.

--ms

• Oso3D said:

Miraculous is a lot of fun.

It's actually a French show (thus being set in Paris)

Yup. A glance at the credits showed me it was a French show. But it's shown on Disney Channel in the wee hours of the morning. The English version is up to the typical high standards of The House of Mouse (say what you want about them, they do good work). As I said, it's clearly aimed at a younger audience (elementary school age is my guess), and the stories are pretty light and the danger not too threatening. But there is something genuinely engaging about the characters and the situations, and the source of their powers is very interesting.  As I said, I was pleasantly surprised.

(Another show that is worth a deep dive is Grvity Falls – that's pretty amazing.)

• DaremoK3 said:

I'm right there with you Mike, I watch TTGo daily (along with Gumball [that show is pure genius]).  I don't care what anyone thinks  --  they can say it to my 200lb(muscular_not fat 5-11) Viking(NinjaSoul) face!  --  But better hope I am not holding a blade (which is always on my person)...  Though, most people cross the street when I am walking down it  --  It saddens me for the ladies, but I love it for the gang members (who only pray on the weak - even in groups - those p*****s)  --  Please, pardon my frankness - this bottle of Fireball is kickin' my azz - but I digest...

Also, I respectfully disagree with Divemakeup  --  I believe the first space-station image is better - better cohesion to your circle motif, and I liked the shuttle stream better - I knew exactly what you were going for.  The second feels forced, and the 'space' now feels like an afterthought.

Take it for what it is - my humble opinion.  It is your project, so the final decision is on you.

Good luck with it though, I am rooting for you as always -- Love your work!

Take care...

Ken

* EDIT :  I raised my last shot to you and tkdrobert (great Thundercats Lion-O) -- You guys are inspiration...

Oddly enough, I've caught several episodes of a series on Disney called Miraculous on Disney and I have noticed that it is better written and has a deeper mythology than it appears at first glance. I can't predict I'm going to get sucked into it, but it did surprise me that it was better than I thought it would be.

I had to look it up - I have to say, I really like that art style. 

Those characters are adorable too! Right up my alley -if they where characters in the Daz3D store they'd be flying into my cart. lol It makes me wish I got Disney shows.

I agree with you. If someone were to do a knock-off of those characters (keeping a few key differences, of course), they would fly off the shelves.

• Oso3DOso3D Posts: 14,886

I also love Gravity Falls. Heh

Miraculous is rather formulaic and simple, but occasionally it surprises you. I mean, I watched it because my kids were really into it, but ... very fun.

Gravity Falls is a bit more robust and watachable as an adult.

• Oso3D said:

I also love Gravity Falls. Heh

Miraculous is rather formulaic and simple, but occasionally it surprises you. I mean, I watched it because my kids were really into it, but ... very fun.

Gravity Falls is a bit more robust and watachable as an adult.

Yeah, Miraculous is very simple, which is not surprising because it is aimed at a very young audience. It's just that the more I watch it the more clear it becomes that the backstory and "universe" is deeper than I thought when I first saw it. I also think the show is growing in popularity; I'm seeing more advertisements and promos for it during prime time and elsewhere. And Gravity Falls is definitely more robust and re-watchable.

• I found this marvellous guy over at SketchFab. I exported him as an OBJ from Blender then imported him into Daz Studio and hit him with one of my NPR Shader Presets:

This is WONDERFUL. And it is exactly the sort of thing I would buy if I could get a good selection of figures. But, even with the 3D Universe Toon figures, there are just too few options available for me to consider using them for a large project. 

But, back to your work. This is really nice. I think your shaders look wonderful here.

I found this marvellous guy over at SketchFab. I exported him as an OBJ from Blender then imported him into Daz Studio and hit him with one of my NPR Shader Presets:

This is WONDERFUL. And it is exactly the sort of thing I would buy if I could get a good selection of figures. But, even with the 3D Universe Toon figures, there are just too few options available for me to consider using them for a large project. 

But, back to your work. This is really nice. I think your shaders look wonderful here.

Thank you, Mike! :D I really appreciate the comment! And yeah, it might be difficult to do a project with toon type figures if there's not a lot of variety of characters in one "style" of toon. Though the bundles by 3D Universe could definitely help, I'm not sure if there would be enough variety in the characters and hair and stuff to populate a believable world. The bundles have some different characters, but they mostly look like they're from the same family. So the trick would be to try and use enough of the toon figures' DNA to keep a consistent "style" but not enough to make them look like they're all part of the same family. It could be a bit challenging. 

• kenmokenmo Posts: 895

We started an image in the class I taught yesterday. After it ended, I completed my post work and this is what I came up with. Figure is V4 with the Bettie Page morph and hair. Can't recall where I got the devil wings and horns, though.

Love Bettie Page and your image is a fine tribute to her...

kenmo said:

We started an image in the class I taught yesterday. After it ended, I completed my post work and this is what I came up with. Figure is V4 with the Bettie Page morph and hair. Can't recall where I got the devil wings and horns, though.

Love Bettie Page and your image is a fine tribute to her...

Hey, kenmo! It's good to see you around here again! Any chance we get to see some new renders from you? :) Or are you busy these days?

• mmitchell_houstonmmitchell_houston Posts: 2,472
    edited June 2020

I'm interested in your reactions on this character design. Right now it's rough and I know that the textures (especially the feathers on the legs) need work. But before I invest any more time in this, I wanted to hear some thoughts about the general direction I'm taking with this figure. I think what I really want to know is: Is this heading somewhere kind of cool, or is it just ridiculous? Right now I'm too close to it and I just can't tell.

NOTES:

In the Galaxy Prime RPG, there is an alien race descended from birds. Now, first of all, this is an RPG and not a science book – I don't care about accuracy or being even remotely scientific. This is a space opera, so I don't want to hear one word about leg bend direction or hands vs wings. Sorry, this is a cheesy sci-fi game: think of this as a character design for the early Star Trek or Doctor Who series.

2 L'Kri Character Design (06-18-2020).jpg
    1200 x 1840 - 463K
    Post edited by mmitchell_houston on
    edited June 2020

Here's the second l'Kri illustration. 

2 L'kri Jumps (06-17-2020).jpg
    1200 x 900 - 302K
  • tkdroberttkdrobert Posts: 3,532
    edited June 2020

Can't let Mike have all the Kitbashing fun.  This is a concept for a bounty hunter ship.  Inspired by the Razor Crest in the Mandalorian.  Unlike the Crest, this puppy has 5 engines.

BH Gunship by tkdrobert

Post edited by tkdrobert on
    edited June 2020

OH! I really like L'Kri! She's such a unique character - I love it! I would probably make her beak a bit shaper/pointier. Also I'd make the feathers on her head longer so that it's more "hair-like" (even though not hair, I know it would be cool for the head feathers to look a bit more like hair, since she's so humanoid). The character concept is quite imaginative and unexpected. I really like her, Mike!

On the second render, I'd probably have her breasts up a bit higher and a bit perkier, as they look a bit saggy and makes her look older. Particularly since the arms are up, when women's arms are raised the breasts also raise up a bit more.

Post edited by 3Diva on
    tkdrobert said:

Can't let Mike have all the Kitbashing fun.  This is a concept for a bounty hunter ship.  Inspired by the Razor Crest in the Mandalorian.  Unlike the Crest, this puppy has 5 engines.

BH Gunship by tkdrobert

Cool kit-bash! I like that it looks almost bug-like. The legs and wings and how squat it is, it looks a little like a bug. Very cool! I really like when "mech" has a bit of a nod to the natural world. I noticed in a lot of Japanese designs they often have their mech designs reflect nature with a nod toward bugs and animals. I really like that.

tkdrobert said:

BH Gunship by tkdrobert

Cool kit-bash! I like that it looks almost bug-like. The legs and wings and how squat it is, it looks a little like a bug. Very cool! I really like when "mech" has a bit of a nod to the natural world. I noticed in a lot of Japanese designs they often have their mech designs reflect nature with a nod toward bugs and animals. I really like that.

Thanks.  I like ships inspired by nature as well.

tkdrobert said:
    tkdrobert said:

BH Gunship by tkdrobert

Thanks.  I like ships inspired by nature as well.

I wonder if I should put another pair of guns under the wings?  That might be overkill.

edited June 2020

I'm hoping to get some help with something - I could use you guys' opinions on these art styles. I've been doing a lot of experimenting with my NPR shaders, trying to find an art style that I want to go with for my comic. I have narrowed it down to 7 that I like the most.

Could I get you guys' opinions on what art style you like the best? The first three are VERY similar, but I couldn't decide between them so I thought I'd post them all. After that, the other 4 have less subtle differences. I did three different renders in each style and put them together so that they can be viewed more easily. I labelled each set "A", "B", etc. If you could tell me which set you like the look of the most, it could help me narrow down the art style for the comic.

The comic is going to be kept fairly "light" - while it will have some more serious subjects every once in a while, I want the overall tone to be fairly light and try to keep it as a comic that doesn't take itself too seriously. So having a style that fits the tone would be best, I think. What art style do you like the most out of these seven? And also which one do you think would fit the "light-ish tone" of the comic the best (as those could be two separate answers).

If you guys could help me out by giving your opinions on these, that would be a big help! I'm also going to post this in the "3D Comic Book" thread, since I think some people frequent that thread that don't watch this one, and vice versa - and I can use all the feedback I can get. 

Click the images to enlarge if you want, to see the art styles more clearly.

1) Which Art Style do you find the most visually appealing?

2) Which Art Style do you think would fit best for the tone of the comic? (If different than the first answer.)

A ELR NPR Comic - Shader Test Set - Ren Set V and Shader D2.jpg
    800 x 3147 - 2M
    B ELR NPR Comic - Shader Test Set - Ren Set L2 and Shader D2.jpg
    800 x 3147 - 2M
    C ELR NPR Comic - Shader Test Set - Ren Set L2 and Shader I2.jpg
    800 x 3147 - 2M
    D ELR NPR Comic - Shader Test Set - Ren Set R2 and Shader D2.jpg
    800 x 3147 - 2M
    E ELR NPR Comic - Shader Test Set - Ren Set J and Shader D2.jpg
    800 x 3147 - 2M
    F ELR NPR Comic - Shader Test Set - Ren Set Y2 and Shader Y2 w BG Emission 6.jpg
    800 x 3147 - 2M
    G ELR NPR Comic - Shader Test Set - Ren Set L2 and Shader E.jpg
    800 x 3147 - 2M
    Post edited by 3Diva on
  • Griffin AvidGriffin Avid Posts: 3,755
    edited June 2020

At first they all seemed too close to judge - as it wouldn't be the make-it-or-break-it level.

But F is my favorite. - The sitting facing to our right pose.

All of the walking away towards the house - doesn't grab me that much.

D is a close second with both the legs crossed and facing right looking awesome.

Post edited by Griffin Avid on
  • Griffin AvidGriffin Avid Posts: 3,755

But I think it could be a tweak of the filter settings is in order. Like some are too bright or washed out. And if you tweaked the render before applying the filter it could be crazy OR tweaked the filtered result some could also sway my opinion.

• Hey there! I am really up against my deadline (which was yesterday), and I need opinions on which (if any of these) work. I can't decide on which of these work best. Right now, as the deadline alarm is going off, I've got to call it quits on making more adjustments or edits to the material inside the image. It is what it is, folks (unless you see something really hideously wrong). The only thing I might change is the shadow under her... but that's it.

So, which of these works best? Any comments on why/why not?

Hey there! I am really up against my deadline (which was yesterday), and I need opinions on which (if any of these) work. I can't decide on which of these work best. Right now, as the deadline alarm is going off, I've got to call it quits on making more adjustments or edits to the material inside the image. It is what it is, folks (unless you see something really hideously wrong). The only thing I might change is the shadow under her... but that's it.

So, which of these works best? Any comments on why/why not?

I like the 1st one.

I commented in the Comic Book thread, but I'll leave it here as well: I like "03 Black Background" the most, personally. The first one is also fantastic and would be my second pick - but I think 03, with it's higher contrasting background, has a bit more of a dramatic feel.

edited June 2020

Thanks one and all for commenting on the previous illustration. I've selected on and sent it off to the editor.

Now, here's the next illustration in the series. The usual workflow applies: Poser Pro 11 render with clean up in Clip Studio Paint.

Both ships, btw, were purchased here at Daz. And the planet is a NASA photo of Jupiter's moon, Ganymede, that I stylized with the Posterize adjustment.

As with the other illustrations in this series, this will be printed in b&w on 6x9 inch paper in a supplement for the Galaxy Prime RPG.

Hot Pursuit (06-29-2020).jpg
    1200 x 1801 - 416K

• Faux2DFaux2D Posts: 452

Animated version:

https://imgur.com/a/Z4TnWY1

thumb.jpg
    667 x 1000 - 162K
  • Thanks one and all for commenting on the previous illustration. I've selected on and sent it off to the editor.

Now, here's the next illustration in the series. The usual workflow applies: Poser Pro 11 render with clean up in Clip Studio Paint.

Both ships, btw, were purchased here at Daz. And the planet is a NASA photo of Jupiter's moon, Ganymede, that I stylized with the Posterize adjustment.

tkdrobert said:

Is this the last Airbender? I like your backgrounds for the four elements, btw. Looks pretty good, in general.

This discussion has been closed.