Need an advice about fast Average Weld

wargiswargis Posts: 142
edited December 1969 in Hexagon Discussion

Hello! I need your advice about Average Weld. Here is the model I drove through remeshing in Zbrush and it came out torn in several seams
Like this one -
Torn seams
When I attempt to weld selected vertices on both sides, all of them merge together and form such a mess -
Welded
How to use Average Weld in a right way to merge them by pairs to get a normal seam line?

Comments

• patience55patience55 Posts: 7,006
    edited December 1969

wargis said:
    Hello! I need your advice about Average Weld. Here is the model I drove through remeshing in Zbrush and it came out torn in several seams
    Like this one -
    Torn seams
    When I attempt to weld selected vertices on both sides, all of them merge together and form such a mess -
    Welded
    How to use Average Weld in a right way to merge them by pairs to get a normal seam line?

Maybe use the 'bridge' to weld together some matched pairs. Hexagon isn't very intuitive. No jumping spaces ... choices must be consecutive.

• RoygeeRoygee Posts: 2,247
    edited March 2014

First thing is to make sure you don't need to vertex weld two the two halves - before doing a symmetric copy, set the model to position X=0, loop-select the outside edges where the two halves will be connected and be sure that the size is 0. If not, make it so.

With these conditions satisfied, when you weld them, the verts will automatically weld. Check that this has been done by hitting the "fill" button. If the dialogue does not come up, it shows all is well.

If it does come up, and shows a white line along the joins, abort - don't use it to fill - then loop-select the facing edges, convert the edge loops to points and use the average weld. Use it gently, one step at a time until you see the edges jump to join. I take it one step beyond that to be sure - you need to watch the mesh very closely to see that nothing other than what you want gets welded. With this method, only the selected verts should weld, but be careful in case.... :)

Post edited by Roygee on
  • GhostmanGhostman Posts: 215
    edited December 1969

For this I would actually use the Weld Points tool. it's fast and it will keep the seamline. Why do it the hard way! ;-)

edited December 1969

In this particular instance, I agree :)

Seemed to me that this Q was about the general use of the tool.

edited March 2014

Yes but one needs to use the right tool for the job too ;-)

I've often 'saved' the project, then try a one click 'will it work' button ... and if not, it's close Hexagon and opened last good save and try something else.

Post edited by patience55 on
    edited December 1969

Speaking of welding points...you know how when welding points, you have to validate, or it will weld the next vert you select as well?

I seem to remember, a long time ago when I was feeling my way around, someone like E-Z showed a method of welding consecutive pairs of verts without having to validate between pairs. It does become a pain when you have many pairs to weld and having to validate every time.

Anyone know what method was used? Or am I dreaming :)

edited December 1969

I don't recall seeing that one. i do know that one can weld every second line and the one in the centre will also weld.

edited December 1969

I'll dig out my videos from E-Z, see if I can find it and let you know :)

• Wee Dangerous JohnWee Dangerous John Posts: 1,605
    edited March 2014

I think it was a Johnny Bravo video, in his demonstration he was welding one point to another and pressing validate each time. And I dropped him a PM here to let him know something I discovered ( by accident ), for example, if you have two grids say 10 * 10 (nearly touching but not quite) and you weld them together to make one form. Go to the top and select a point, press W for weld then the red line appears, select the point on the other grid and carry on down repeating the process and validate when you're finished.

I'll have a look and see if I can find it, unfortunately these things get lost over time :(

Post edited by Wee Dangerous John on
    edited December 1969

That may have been it, not sure, though. I know the target weld tool and use it a lot. W is the hotkey for that and it doesn't need verification because it is a complete action on it's own.

I have so many Hex videos, it will take a while to find - if there is such a thing!

• wargiswargis Posts: 142
    edited December 1969

Thanks, Roygee, the best way in my case was to weld points manually (because of bad non-symmetrical auto-retopology) and I found the optimel way of welding points in Hex. In the Shortcut editor there are two options - for Target Weld and Weld Points. I set Z key for "Weld points" and it works fine - now I pick a vertex, press Z, and when cursor turns into a circle, click it on another point, and points merge. After this I press Z again and the process repeats for the next pair of points, in the end after welding the seam press Enter to validate. It seems it's the fastest way of manual welding in Hexagon.

edited December 1969

Eureka! You have it...YESYESYES :)

That is what I was looking for - thank you:)

edited December 1969

Interesting.

But when I click Z again, or click the next vertex, I'll get a spider web of lines joining.
    However if I select 2, then Z, those 2 weld. Then right-click drag select the next 2, they'll weld properly, right-click select the next pair until done, then validate.

edited December 1969

Yes, you need to click Z between welds to de-select, otherwise it will weld whatever is selected :)

edited December 1969

Okay thanks!

• Wee Dangerous JohnWee Dangerous John Posts: 1,605
    edited December 1969

Aint Hex great :)

edited December 1969

If only an enthusiastic developer could recognize this and give it the attention it deserves!

• tmtmtm_f56c8d4bdatmtmtm_f56c8d4bda Posts: 84
    edited October 2014

Roygee said:
    Speaking of welding points...you know how when welding points, you have to validate, or it will weld the next vert you select as well?

I seem to remember, a long time ago when I was feeling my way around, someone like E-Z showed a method of welding consecutive pairs of verts without having to validate between pairs. It does become a pain when you have many pairs to weld and having to validate every time.

Anyone know what method was used? Or am I dreaming :)

I don't know the method you saw, but for me it works the way you describe if I "right click marquee select" the vertices. The point weld will weld all verts inside the marquee, and I can do the next pair without having to validate.

I know this works, because I just spent a good hour doing it on, oh I dunno maybe 500 verts...

Post edited by tmtmtm_f56c8d4bda on
    edited December 1969

Yes, that works well - thanks for the tip :)

500 points - wow. What the heck were you doing? :)

• tmtmtm_f56c8d4bdatmtmtm_f56c8d4bda Posts: 84
    edited December 1969

Roygee said:

500 points - wow. What the heck were you doing? :)

Trying to weld two separate surfaces. The average weld refuses to work for me. I have uneven edges and try to select vertices with lasso, and avg weld just won't cooperate.

edited December 1969

For any points weld operation to work, the meshes with the verts to be welded must be part of the same object. To do that, select both and weld them - not points weld!

Mass welding jagged edges using average weld is pretty tricky because, as you increase the influence distance, you could end up having two verts on the same mesh which are closer than the two points on the separate meshes you intend to weld. It is really intended for a fast operation where the edges to be welded are on the same plane and pretty close together.

One thing you could try if this won't mess up the shape of the polys you want is to loop-select one of the edges to be welded and make the distance on the plane of interest - must be in "world" mode - 0. Do the same to the other then loop-select both and move them close together. With the edge-loops still selected, change the selection to points and do the average weld. This will only affect the selected points.

Hope I've managed to explain this OK :)