How do I import video as a background in Carrara 8.5 pro?

pmart868pmart868 Posts: 37
edited December 1969 in Carrara Discussion

Can anyone tell me how I import video as a background in Carrara 8.5 pro? Thank you in advance.

Comments

• IamArtistXIamArtistX Posts: 119
    edited March 2014

Looking at the list of files it can open/Import , I'm not to sure you can, although I maybe wrong, maybe someone else more adversed to Carrara might be better able to answer your question

Edit: I notice it can open AVI files

Post edited by IamArtistX on
  • pmart868pmart868 Posts: 37
    edited December 1969

Thanks IamArtistX, I would like to work with video, since no plugin for after effects came with 8 or 8.5 pro.

• IamArtistXIamArtistX Posts: 119
    edited December 1969

I did ask them about that on the old bug tracker, seems nothing came of it - shame really AE is a good tool to have :)

• BrianP21361BrianP21361 Posts: 791
    edited March 2014

Add a background or Backdrop to the scene. Click on the folder icon to a select a file. The drop down menu shows that a variety of files can be imported including sequenced jpg and mov files. (I'm on a Mac)

Screen_Shot_2014-03-26_at_4.04_.04_PM_.png
    1258 x 782 - 344K
    Post edited by BrianP21361 on
    edited March 2014

I know you can use a Flash animation, but I need to work with HD files. I am working with Windows 7.

Post edited by pmart868 on
    edited December 1969

Hi BrianP21361, I imported the video as .avi, but it is out of phase.

• BrianP21361BrianP21361 Posts: 791
    edited December 1969

There's been a lot of posts in the forum about issues with avi's. Can you convert it to something else. Being on a Mac I almost never use avi.

• evilproducerevilproducer Posts: 9,040
    edited December 1969

It may be the AVI Codec that is the issue. maybe try another one.

If that doesn't work, then maybe try to convert the video to an image sequence. I know QT Pro can do this.

So, assuming you get the video to work, you will probably want to load it into the scene's Backdrop. The difference between the Backdrop and the Background is that the Background wraps around the scene like a big sphere and can be reflected and used as a light source if Skylight is enabled. A Backdrop is displayed behind the scene in the production frame. It can appear behind atmospheres and such, but it cannot be reflected and cannot be used as an IBL.

As I said above, a Background appears in the production frame, so it is important that the production frame is the same aspect as the movie or the movie will be squished to fit. To view the Background, you can set it to display in the Interactive Renderer. It is the icon at the top of the Assembly room window that looks like an up-arrow within a circle. Click it, and a new window will open. You can set it to display the Backdrop in the Assembly room.

I know the AE plugin isn't included, but there are other motion sync options out there. SynthEyes comes to mind.
    http://www.ssontech.com/index.html

edited December 1969

Hi Evilproducer, thank you all for the great advise and help. I will look at changing the .avi codec, or working with a Targa sequence. I will have to use both the background and the backdrop as I want also to use the IBL. I will definitely look into the SynthEyes as an option. Again thank you all for the great advise and help.

• PhilWPhilW Posts: 5,139
    edited December 1969

I've used sequenced images in the past so that should work.

edited December 1969

PhilW said:
    I've used sequenced images in the past so that should work.

They work great as well!

Since I usually do the final composite in my video editor, to save on memory as I'm still using a 32 bit version of Carrara, sometimes I'll use a lower quality version to set up my render. So an image sequence I would use .jpg for instance rather than .png or .tiff. A video would maybe also be something like a motion .jpg codec or a DVC codec with lower settings. I can't say with any certainty how much memory it does save, I just know it seems a little snappier in the Assembly room.

• DUDUDUDU Posts: 1,945
    edited December 1969

There are several types of compression in .AVI, from DV to DivX… but for me, only the uncompressed AVI is accepted by Carrara.

• DartanbeckDartanbeck Posts: 21,196
    edited December 1969

There are several types of compression in .AVI, from DV to DivX… but for me, only the uncompressed AVI is accepted by Carrara.
    Me too... okay so it's not just me. I was trying to use the loss-less Lagarith codec, and Carrara just doesn't like it. I don't recall if that was true for playback or just rendering out. But I think it may have been both. So now when I want to go back and forth between Howler and Carrara, I use either full frames avi or Targa Sequences.
    edited December 1969

Hi to All,
    Thank you all for the great advice. To update you all, like DUD_00001, I was successful with uncompressed .AVI . It seem that loss-less nor any of Blackmagic Design's codec works. I will try the targa sequence next time. As I have you guys ears, what codec you would recommend for 2.5k video files with Carrara 8.5 Pro.

edited March 2014

Never rendered that large myself. I would suggest rendering to an image sequence because even with a fast computer it could take awhile per frame depending on the scene. The advantage with an image sequence is that if Carrara chokes, you'll at least have frames up to the point it crashed, and can pick up where you left off. If you render directly to an AVI or Quicktime file, it will be lost. For simple quickie animations, I will just usually render out to Quicktime's Animation codec. For renders that are more complicated or time consuming, I'll render to an image sequence. Usually .png.

Post edited by evilproducer on
    edited December 1969

Hi evilproducer,
    Thank you for the heads up, I will go with image sequence. Thank you again.

edited December 1969

The format is really up to you. I just use png because it is lossless with a reasonable file size and supports alphas. If you're using AE, there may be other formats (targa?) that you might prefer. It's what works best for you.

edited December 1969

GOT it evilproducer.