Missing AutoFit Options?

IamArtistXIamArtistX Posts: 119
edited March 2014 in Carrara Discussion

I did do a search for this but nothing came up, so apologies if it has been mentioned, seems my search skills need a touch up :)

Decided to bite the bullet today and installed the DIM manager and made a DB for all the content, Carrara sees it all just fine (well there was something about a node, but that's not the issue), issue comes when trying to put V4 or M4 clothing onto Genesis.

I get the little pop up asking me what character it was meant for, but I only get 3 options

Unsupported
Genesis
Genesis 2

Last time I played with Genesis (when it first came out) DS 4 gave me the options for all the characters, so is it a short coming that Daz is going to fix in a Carrara update down the line, or is this intended?

Of the items I have tried if I select unsupported, and pick what type of clothing it is, it seems to fit, although there is still some poke through to fix here and there, not a massive issue, just something that has been bugging me all day.

EDIT: Okay just tried the same items in DS 4.6 - I get the same issue, except DS only gives me Unsupported, nothing else

Post edited by IamArtistX on

Comments

• JimmyC_2009JimmyC_2009 Posts: 8,891
    edited December 1969

I just tried this in Carrara 8.5, and it works perfectly for me. Autofit shows all of my characters that I should have, just the same as it does inside DAZ Studio.

I imagine that the Carrara uses the CMS to assist in the use of Autofit (as does DAZ Studio), and if it wan't running, I wouldn't expect you to have any options at all.

Are you sure that it is Genesis that you are using, and not Genesis 2 Female? I don't have any of the clones for G2, so all I get is Genesis and Genesis 2 Male when I try Autofit.

• IamArtistXIamArtistX Posts: 119
    edited December 1969

Yes it was G2 figures I tried it on, I will try G1 figures in the morning, as I say it all works, I just thought it a bit odd, will report back in the morning :)

• DiomedeDiomede Posts: 15,073
    edited December 1969

For Genesis figures, you should have choices for the add on packs that you have acquired. For example, to get clothes designed for M3 or V3 to auto fit to Genesis in Carrara, you would have to have and install the Gen3 shape pack.

Here is the one for M4 and V4.
    http://www.daz3d.com/v4-and-m4-shapes-for-genesis
    If you have acquired the one for M4 and V4, then check to make sure that it is installed correctly.

For Genesis 2 figures, there are some known bugs for autofit.

I am attaching a screenshot of a jacket made for M4 that has been autofit to Genesis in Carrara.

m4_to_genesis.JPG
    945 x 386 - 60K
  • DiomedeDiomede Posts: 15,073
    edited December 1969

I was typing while you were exchanging replies. :red:

• DartanbeckDartanbeck Posts: 21,210
    edited December 1969

Okay, I know this isn't how it is 'supposed to be', but it seems to mean that the DAZ 3D cms (Content Management Service) isn't running in the background. Genesis support in Carrara isn't really supposed to require cms, but for some reason or another, the auto-fit options do.

Here's how to fix it - but I don't know how to install on Mac, but this should be enough of a clue:

To check if cms is indeed running on a Windows machine, Open Task Manager and look under "services" for DAZ 3D cms.

To enable cms that is not running, go to Program files or Program File (86) if you're running 64 bit

Daz 3D > DIM (Can't recall the actual folder name) > cms

Inside the cms folder, run the exe within and cms will initiate and run

Open DAZ Studio once and let it run through its whole start up to get cms working. I can't remember if we all opened Genesis and ran an auto-fit on it or not. But that's how we got that part working when we couldn't otherwise. Seems like a PITA, but it's done quickly and then it works.

edited December 1969

CMS is running, I made sure in the Services tab of Admin tools, It was as JimmyC and diomede said, seems it works fine for Gen1 Genesis, not for Gen2 Genesis, not a major issue, Just a bit annoying, but at least I know now - always good to have a bit of extra knowledge ;)

Now we just need to kick Daz up the rear end to get this little annoyance sorted out :p

edited December 1969

Your confusion arises from not understanding where the clones come from I think.

Unless you buy the appropriate packages from the store, you wont see these options for Genesis 2. Genesis (original) had clones for V4, M4 and K4 supplied free with the Autofit plugin, Genesis 2 does not have this.

For example, for V4, you need this for Genesis 2 : http://www.daz3d.com/victoria-4-for-genesis-2-female to get the Autofit clone.

And this for M4 : http://www.daz3d.com/michael-4-for-genesis-2-male

I'm sure there are others too, but I just did a quick search.

edited March 2014

More than likely, as I said I have only just started to look at Genesis for use, I had the ones for the Gen1 set, didn't know there were also ones for Gen2 - meh more money to find to get it to work :(

Still, it never hurts to ask, if you don't ask a question, you will never learn anything :)

Post edited by IamArtistX on
    edited December 1969

One thing you can do,( using DAZ Studio at any rate), is Autofit Generation 4 clothing to Genesis, and save the result as a Support Asset, and then use the Genesis Autofit clone for Genesis 2 to convert the already converted clothing to fit Genesis 2 using the supplied Autofit clone.

A bit of a rigmarole, but doesn't involve more expense. It works quite well I believe.

edited December 1969

Your confusion arises from not understanding where the clones come from I think.

Unless you buy the appropriate packages from the store, you wont see these options for Genesis 2. Genesis (original) had clones for V4, M4 and K4 supplied free with the Autofit plugin, Genesis 2 does not have this.

For example, for V4, you need this for Genesis 2 : http://www.daz3d.com/victoria-4-for-genesis-2-female to get the Autofit clone.

And this for M4 : http://www.daz3d.com/michael-4-for-genesis-2-male

I'm sure there are others too, but I just did a quick search.
    So, if you buy those, do the auto-fits work for those in Genesis 2? Do you have those products?
    I was under the understanding that Genesis 2 was simply no yet fully supported in Carrara 8.5, but if buying those products make auto-fit work for them, I'm in!
    edited December 1969

Yes, I believe so.

These products contain the Autofit clones which are necessary for Autofit to work, and they populate the list of figures that pops up inside Autofit. There are other packages for sale, which are shapes only for Genesis 2, but they don't contain the Autofit clones, but it does say that on the Product Page.

You can still do it as I mentioned earlier, by saving Gen 4 clothing that is 'fit to' Genesis (original), and then Autofitting that clothing to Genesis 2. I have only had Carrara for a short while, so I don't really know if you can do that from inside Carrara, or if you need to use DAZ Studio to do that.

edited December 1969

Yeah, I know you just got here recently. Welcome aboard, by the way. I haven't tried that convert to Genesis 1 method yet. Not sure I will either. I'd rather have those clones. I'll be getting those as soon as Rosie says "Okay" ;)

Something really cool, though. I've been going on about how cool those Content Creation Tools (CCT) in DS Pro are. Well we could also actually remove the rigging from any clothing made for any figure, mold the polygons to fit either Genesis 2 Male or Female, whichever, and export the obj and bring it into DS and turn it into an actual Genesis 2 item, which would have the benefit of hand-to-eye conversion rather than an automated one. Just some food for thought. I haven't actually done that yet, but I've experimented a little with making some basic clothing in Carrara for the new Genesis 2 figures, just to run through the CCT process and it really works well.

Hey thanks for showing links to those clones. I do try to keep up on what's in the store and, somehow those slipped on by without my realizing it. I like to have all of that stuff at my disposal. I have all of the supplemental shapes for Genesis 1 and it's proven to be an enormous asset. But this new Genesis 2 lineup just blows everything else away to me. They look great in preview mode. But then hit render and, OMG! Just as real as can be! :)

edited December 1969

Yes, G2 is definitely very good.

I don't use figures that much, but I don't have any of the shapes for Genesis 2 yet, I will probably get them too at some point. I am going to get back to Carrara tomorrow again, I have been sidetracked with Anime Studio all this week.

edited December 1969

Found some cash and got the G2 morphs, now the options turn up when using Gen2 Genesis :) - not that I use characters a whole lot, just nice to have everything working should I decide to do one :)

edited December 1969

Found some cash and got the G2 morphs, now the options turn up when using Gen2 Genesis :) - not that I use characters a whole lot, just nice to have everything working should I decide to do one :)
    Thanks for the update. Like Jimmy C said, I looked in the promo info and, sure enough... they come with clones. Cool. I need these too, as I DO use characters a lot! :)
    edited December 1969

Little issue I found, normally I download every product manually and convert them to 7z files as they compress better, now if I add the Gen2 morphs manually they show up for Gen1 but not Gen2, yet if I use the DIM (I never did like that name, makes me think daz things we are DIM and cant install content) and CMS they show up.

Not a real big issue just find it strange