Applying Texture

GotfryedGotfryed Posts: 0
edited December 1969 in Hexagon Discussion

I've been watching the Geek At Play tutorials and trying out their method of applying textures. After much practice I can get most of it to work. But then when I load the object into Daz it comes in without any texture on it.

I've tried to send it directly to Daz, export it as an .obj, and every other thing I can think of but it still comes in blank. When I export as an .obj it does send a .png with it which I can use to apply the texture manually. But the Geek says that it should carry all the info in the .mtl and thus load the texture when imported or dragged into Daz.

I must be missing something. Is there a feature or process in Daz or Hex that I need to change or click on to make it work?

Comments

• Wee Dangerous JohnWee Dangerous John Posts: 1,605
    edited March 2014

Did you tick the right boxes, just tried it and these settings work for me -

Can you please post a link to the tutorial if this is not the answer are looking for.

inport-export.jpg
    979 x 581 - 89K
    Post edited by Wee Dangerous John on
  • GotfryedGotfryed Posts: 0
    edited December 1969

I can't find the pages you show but I can find preferences under the Edit menu. And then when I actually export I get this page of options.

Then as I drag or import into Daz this import options window shows.

Importing.jpg
    601 x 486 - 43K
    Exporting.jpg
    965 x 498 - 85K
    Preference_editor.jpg
    625 x 503 - 58K
  • Wee Dangerous JohnWee Dangerous John Posts: 1,605
    edited December 1969

As far as I know Daz Studio does not automatically load the texture with the object, you have to load it in manually. But you can export the object from DS (with the maps folder)and load it back in again with the saved texture.

I will look at it again and see if there's something I am missing.

• mjc1016mjc1016 Posts: 15,001
    edited December 1969

As far as I know Daz Studio does not automatically load the texture with the object, you have to load it in manually. But you can export the object from DS (with the maps folder)and load it back in again with the saved texture.

I will look at it again and see if there's something I am missing.

If everything is set up just right, the moon is in the proper phase, the Sun is aligned with Jupiter and Mars in the house of Pieces...then maybe the mtl file will be read and the textures will automagically load. But, more often than not, they won't...and it's more a fault of the obj/mtl file format than it is DS. It's an old format that doesn't seem to handle relative paths, long file names, UTF character encoding and 'modernity' with anything approaching grace and ease.

The easiest thing, for retaining any measure of sanity...don't worry about it and count on applying the textures, manually, in the program you are importing into.

• GotfryedGotfryed Posts: 0
    edited December 1969

"The easiest thing, for retaining any measure of sanity…don’t worry about it and count on applying the textures, manually, in the program you are importing into."

O.K. If that's the way it is then that's the way it is. So I'll go along with it. At least it's sending out those .png files and that does make it simpler.

Thanks for the help and the answers.