More Non-photorealisitic Renders (NPR II)

Comments

• juvesatrianijuvesatriani Posts: 556
    tkdrobert said:

I posted this in the Anime thread but thought I'd post it here as well. :)

Sakura 8 with a few face morphs to soften up the features a little. The Sakura tree is beautiful, but my old machine had a hard time with it and it rendered super slowly. I think it's time for me to get a new machine soon. lol

Anyway, it's an Iray render. No postwork. Made with an NPR product I developed that I was going to release as a product, but sadly the latest version of Daz Studio dramatically changed the look of the shaders (again - it's happened twice now). So, unfortunately, I probably won't be able to release the NPR shaders and render settings as a product. I spent about a year developing it and had to remake it twice, due to different versions of DS being released and changing how the shaders look. Finally with the latest release changing the look of the shaders yet again, I think it's time to set it down and give up on the idea of releasing it as a product. 

Nice work

Thank you. I should probably post more renders made with the NPR product, that way I don't feel like the year I spent developing it was a complete waste of time. At least I can use it in my own NPR renders, so it's not a total waste of time. I'm totally bummed about not being able to release it though. I think it would have been a popular product and would be cool for making comics, I think. 

Would love to see another NPR render with your shader..

Your sample image really wonderful and I t thinks  that will be acceptable for someone who prefer end results than having recent version of tools ( dazstudio etc) 

• tkdroberttkdrobert Posts: 3,532

Hey there I I tried posting this earlier today, but I was on WiFi and something happened so I took it down.

Last year I was working on an RPG game book (a collection of adventures for the RPG Galaxy Prime by Epic Age Media) when the project suddenly went kaput for a variety of reasons. Last week I learned the project was back on and so now I'm hustling to finish the cover and provide about five or six interior illustrations for this mostly text book.

Since I'm in a time crunch, the publisher is happy to have me up-cycle some concept art I had created for a sci-fi comic book I'm slowly developing. In fact, the reason he okayed the interior art was because I already had this stuff in the can and could quickly provide it and a few new illustrations.

So, here's the first of them. The pages are 6x9 inches and will be printed in b&w. For a change, I'm providing a page border so you can see how the art will fit on the page.

Each of the illustrations will include that circle element – I decided on it for two reasons. First, having a smaller background is quicker. There is just less stuff to illustrate, so I can do it faster. And secondly, I think it looks cool and adds a sense of movement by having the main figure pop out of the circle; it's got a nice graphic quality to it.

I like it.

• Hey there I I tried posting this earlier today, but I was on WiFi and something happened so I took it down.

Last year I was working on an RPG game book (a collection of adventures for the RPG Galaxy Prime by Epic Age Media) when the project suddenly went kaput for a variety of reasons. Last week I learned the project was back on and so now I'm hustling to finish the cover and provide about five or six interior illustrations for this mostly text book.

Since I'm in a time crunch, the publisher is happy to have me up-cycle some concept art I had created for a sci-fi comic book I'm slowly developing. In fact, the reason he okayed the interior art was because I already had this stuff in the can and could quickly provide it and a few new illustrations.

So, here's the first of them. The pages are 6x9 inches and will be printed in b&w. For a change, I'm providing a page border so you can see how the art will fit on the page.

Each of the illustrations will include that circle element – I decided on it for two reasons. First, having a smaller background is quicker. There is just less stuff to illustrate, so I can do it faster. And secondly, I think it looks cool and adds a sense of movement by having the main figure pop out of the circle; it's got a nice graphic quality to it.

Oh very nice! I really like the graphic element to it. The layout and execution looks really good. And you're right, it does bring a nice feel of movement. Very cool image!

Thanks! It's really gratifying to hear that my efforts hit the mark on what I was trying to achieve. Now to make this circle motif work with the other illustrations I'm working on.

• 3Diva3Diva Posts: 11,276

Hey there I I tried posting this earlier today, but I was on WiFi and something happened so I took it down.

Oh very nice! I really like the graphic element to it. The layout and execution looks really good. And you're right, it does bring a nice feel of movement. Very cool image!

Thanks! It's really gratifying to hear that my efforts hit the mark on what I was trying to achieve. Now to make this circle motif work with the other illustrations I'm working on.

Yeah, it may be tricky - one doesn't want it to look too repetitive. You might have to get extra imaginative with the angles and mix it up a bit. The circle will help solidify them as a "set" though, which is a great idea. I hope you post some of the others once they're done. :)

• Hey there I I tried posting this earlier today, but I was on WiFi and something happened so I took it down.

Yeah, it may be tricky - one doesn't want it to look too repetitive. You might have to get extra imaginative with the angles and mix it up a bit. The circle will help solidify them as a "set" though, which is a great idea. I hope you post some of the others once they're done. :)

Thanks. I will post them all as I finish them

• mmitchell_houstonmmitchell_houston Posts: 2,472
    edited June 2020

Here's the second illustration from the series for the RPG book. I don't think it's quite as effective as the first one (that one really just came together in a great way), but inasmuch as this is a large, non-moving space station (as opposed to a sleek starship exiting a warp) that sort of movement wasn't going to happen here. I must admit that I'm still considering whether or not I should try adding more little ships swarming around, but they kept cluttering up the basic design and, in the end, I just decided to leave them out.

As always, I'm interested in what you've all got to say about it.

Once again, I've provided a border around the illustration so you can see how it will fit on a 6x9 inch page when it's printed.

Space Station Online (06-04-2020).jpg
    1200 x 1800 - 278K
    Post edited by mmitchell_houston on
  • FirstBastionFirstBastion Posts: 7,220
    edited June 2020
    Gordig said:

Toonruun

I just started messing around with PWToon, after doing Iray only basically since I first started using DS. So far I'm mainly just fiddling with different settings to see what they do, and am nowhere near developing a style with it. Here is my first full render, along with the Iray original. The framing is slightly different because I was working in the current beta, which seems to have keyboard viewport navigation turned on no matter what you do. Also, I'll need to reapply her face scars since I didn't fully get how to retain maps while I was initially applying the toon shaders, and her expression is more intense because I didn't have AFE when I did the first render.

Your Iray version look very awesome to work with . Here my quickie edit to show sometimes work with IRAY > Photoshop is possible . Of course doing manual line art work like @tdkrobert always did , will enhance your end results 

Gordig's Iray version turned out well, and the additional photoshop actions you tried really gave it a visual tweak. Any info on what you used?

Post edited by FirstBastion on
    edited June 2020

Here's the second illustration from the series for the RPG book. I don't think it's quite as effective as the first one (that one really just came together in a great way), but inasmuch as this is a large, non-moving space station (as opposed to a sleek starship exiting a warp) that sort of movement wasn't going to happen here. I must admit that I'm still considering whether or not I should try adding more little ships swarming around, but they kept cluttering up the basic design and, in the end, I just decided to leave them out.

Once again, I've provided a border around the illustration so you can see how it will fit on a 6x9 inch page when it's printed.

This looks really good. I think maybe a couple of minor tweaks might improve it - 1) I'd increase the size of the space station a tad, having it sticking out from the circle a little more. Perhaps add a bit of foreshortening to help emphasize the size and length of it.  2) I'd decrease the size of the shuttle a tad and have it not coming out of the circle quite so far. As it is, both the space station and the shuttle are jutting out of the circle at roughly the same amount - this is causing them both to compete for the same "importance" in the scene and makes it confusing as to which is meant to be the main focus, the space station or the shuttle. (These are just suggestions based on personal tastes and human-flawed opinion, and if you don't agree with my suggestions then, of course, feel free to ignore them lol). :)

Edit - I think also that the movement trail of the Shuttle might look better if it's not starting outside of the circle at the top. Maybe remove the beginning part that starts outside the circle so it looks like the shuttle has come from inside the circle. Again, just a suggestion. :D

Other than that I really like the composition and design. The shuttle moving around the station with the motion lines is a very cool idea!

Post edited by 3Diva on

Thunder...thunder....thunder...THUNDERCATS HOOOOOOOO!!

Been wanting to do a Thundercats tribute for a while now.  I combined the old and new look of Liono.  If you don't know what I'm talking about, a few years ago, Nickelodeon tried to reboot Thundercats.  My kids and I liked it, but it was cancelled after 1 season.  Didn't sell enough toys.  The Sword of Omens is still one of the coolest swords after lightsabers

edited June 2020
    tkdrobert said:

Been wanting to do a Thundercats tribute for a while now.  I combined the old and new look of Liono.  If you don't know what I'm talking about, a few years ago, Nickelodeon tried to reboot Thundercats.  My kids and I liked it, but it was cancelled after 1 season.  Didn't sell enough toys.  The Sword of Omens is still one of the coolest swords after lightsabers

Very nice! I really like the dark lines - it really helps give it a graphic art feel. And of course, I'm always a fan of art based on 80s and 90s cartoons. :D

*Edit - I just looked up Thundercats Reboot and "ThunderCats Roar" by Cartoon Network looks absolutely frightening. Have you seen it? I can't say that I'm even remotely a fan of that art style.*

Post edited by 3Diva on
    edited June 2020
    tkdrobert said:

I posted this in the Anime thread but thought I'd post it here as well. :)

Sakura 8 with a few face morphs to soften up the features a little. The Sakura tree is beautiful, but my old machine had a hard time with it and it rendered super slowly. I think it's time for me to get a new machine soon. lol

Anyway, it's an Iray render. No postwork. Made with an NPR product I developed that I was going to release as a product, but sadly the latest version of Daz Studio dramatically changed the look of the shaders (again - it's happened twice now). So, unfortunately, I probably won't be able to release the NPR shaders and render settings as a product. I spent about a year developing it and had to remake it twice, due to different versions of DS being released and changing how the shaders look. Finally with the latest release changing the look of the shaders yet again, I think it's time to set it down and give up on the idea of releasing it as a product. 

Nice work

Thank you. I should probably post more renders made with the NPR product, that way I don't feel like the year I spent developing it was a complete waste of time. At least I can use it in my own NPR renders, so it's not a total waste of time. I'm totally bummed about not being able to release it though. I think it would have been a popular product and would be cool for making comics, I think. 

Would love to see another NPR render with your shader..

Here is a quicky render of one of my comic characters. I'll probably end up going darker and/or a bit more red with her hair color when I start rendering out my sequential panels. :) There's super light post work on this one to adjust the colors, as the original render came out a little too orange.

ELR NPR Comic - Saydra w Ren Set V Shader V b.png
    1000 x 1300 - 624K
    Post edited by 3Diva on

Looks cool to me.

tkdrobert said:

Very nice! I really like the dark lines - it really helps give it a graphic art feel. And of course, I'm always a fan of art based on 80s and 90s cartoons. :D

*Edit - I just looked up Thundercats Reboot and "ThunderCats Roar" by Cartoon Network looks absolutely frightening. Have you seen it? I can't say that I'm even remotely a fan of that art style.*

OMG ThunderCats Roar looks stupid.  Glad I missed that one.

• Here's the second illustration from the series for the RPG book. I don't think it's quite as effective as the first one (that one really just came together in a great way), but inasmuch as this is a large, non-moving space station (as opposed to a sleek starship exiting a warp) that sort of movement wasn't going to happen here. I must admit that I'm still considering whether or not I should try adding more little ships swarming around, but they kept cluttering up the basic design and, in the end, I just decided to leave them out.

tkdrobert said:
    tkdrobert said:

Yeah, Thundercats Roar is a hot mess. I personally don't mind that they redid it as a kid-centric comedy. They did that when they redid Teen Titans to Teen Titans Go and it worked out okay. But Thundercats Roar seems half-baked at best. And I just didn't find it funny.

• Here's the second illustration from the series for the RPG book. I don't think it's quite as effective as the first one (that one really just came together in a great way), but inasmuch as this is a large, non-moving space station (as opposed to a sleek starship exiting a warp) that sort of movement wasn't going to happen here. I must admit that I'm still considering whether or not I should try adding more little ships swarming around, but they kept cluttering up the basic design and, in the end, I just decided to leave them out.

This looks really good. I think maybe a couple of minor tweaks might improve it - 1) I'd increase the size of the space station a tad, having it sticking out from the circle a little more. Perhaps add a bit of foreshortening to help emphasize the size and length of it.  2) I'd decrease the size of the shuttle a tad and have it not coming out of the circle quite so far. As it is, both the space station and the shuttle are jutting out of the circle at roughly the same amount - this is causing them both to compete for the same "importance" in the scene and makes it confusing as to which is meant to be the main focus, the space station or the shuttle. (These are just suggestions based on personal tastes and human-flawed opinion, and if you don't agree with my suggestions then, of course, feel free to ignore them lol). :)

Edit - I think also that the movement trail of the Shuttle might look better if it's not starting outside of the circle at the top. Maybe remove the beginning part that starts outside the circle so it looks like the shuttle has come from inside the circle. Again, just a suggestion. :D

Other than that I really like the composition and design. The shuttle moving around the station with the motion lines is a very cool idea!

Thanks very, very much for the strong suggestions. I probably won't get to the edits for a day or two (need to get early drafts of other illustrations done, first), but you have definitely given me plenty to think about.

One thing that's funny is your mention of the shuttle's size.Hah! I must have tried it at four different sizes from small to humongous. I'll take another stab at it, because you are right about it competing with the part of the station sticking out of the circle. As for the swoosh/motion lines sticking out of the circle. Dang, I really like the way they look and the way they counterbalance the station's ring, you're right about them needing to be inside the frame. By starting outside the frame, it violates the rules of perspective and actually flattens the image a little. I'll either crop them at the edge or redraw them so they start inside the frame (maybe a small starburst as it comes out of warp).

I'll give the other edits a shot, too! I'll post an update soon. Thanks again!

• mmitchell_houstonmmitchell_houston Posts: 2,472
    edited June 2020
    I hope you post some of the others once they're done. :)

Someone over at Facebook suggested pulling the entire station out of the circle frame. I gave it a shot, and added your advice about moving the shuttle. What do you think? Does this work better, or about the same?

BTW: Don't worry if you see any text in reverse (backwards). If I progress with this design I will remove it.

Space Station (06-09-2020).jpg
    1200 x 1800 - 306K
    Post edited by mmitchell_houston on
    edited June 2020
    I hope you post some of the others once they're done. :)

Someone over at Facebook suggested pulling the entire station out of the circle frame. I gave it a shot, and added your advice about moving the shuttle. What do you think? Does this work better, or about the same?

BTW: Don't worry if you see any text in reverse (backwards). If I progress with this design I will remove it.

YES!! Winner! This looks awesome, Mike! (Let me know if you're ok with being called that, or if you prefer being called by your user name.)

Post edited by 3Diva on
  • I hope you post some of the others once they're done. :)

YES!! Winner! This looks awesome, Mike! (Let me know if you're ok with being called that, of if you prefer being called by your user name.)

Thanks! Yeah, the more I looked at it the better it got. At first I thought both sides out of the frame was too much, but taking a break and coming back to it let me see it more clearly; this is definitely stronger.

And thank you very much for asking, but you can call me Mike or by my user name. Whichever you prefer!

Now... I'm off to scrub the reverse text from the illustration (why didn't I set it up correctly, you might ask? Simple: the other side of the station doesn't have the landing platform on it and it just doesn't look as interesting.

edited June 2020

tkdrobert said:
    tkdrobert said:

Yeah, Thundercats Roar is a hot mess. I personally don't mind that they redid it as a kid-centric comedy. They did that when they redid Teen Titans to Teen Titans Go and it worked out okay. But Thundercats Roar seems half-baked at best. And I just didn't find it funny.

I hated Teen Titans Go too.  I don't like it when they take something I like and make a mockery of it.  21 Jump Street is another example.  You couldn't pay me to see that movie.

Post edited by tkdrobert on
  • tkdrobert said:

tkdrobert said:
    tkdrobert said:

I hated Teen Titans Go too.  I don't like it when they take something I like and make a mockery of it.  21 Jump Street is another example.  You couldn't pay me to see that movie.

I am definitely in the minority. I liked the original Teen Titans cartoon and Young Justice. But I love Teen Titans Go! It is a very clever pastiche of superhero tropes. Although it can have a lot of stupid kid jokes, it also does some scathingly funny parodies of movies, films and superheroes in general. For example, in one episode they launch the tower into space for a "Space Adventure" and they wind up bickering non-stop about how Robin wants to have an advneture with deep, philosophical discussions (Star Trek: The Next Generation) and the others want to have wild space adventures (Star Wars). I found that to be both clever and funny.

But, I get it. I'm absolutely in the minority on this.

tkdrobert said:

tkdrobert said:
    tkdrobert said:

I am definitely in the minority. I liked the original Teen Titans cartoon and Young Justice. But I love Teen Titans Go! It is a very clever pastiche of superhero tropes. Although it can have a lot of stupid kid jokes, it also does some scathingly funny parodies of movies, films and superheroes in general. For example, in one episode they launch the tower into space for a "Space Adventure" and they wind up bickering non-stop about how Robin wants to have an advneture with deep, philosophical discussions (Star Trek: The Next Generation) and the others want to have wild space adventures (Star Wars). I found that to be both clever and funny.

No judgement.  wink

• tkdrobert said:
    tkdrobert said:

tkdrobert said:
    tkdrobert said:

No judgement.  wink

I appreciate you cutting me the slack. Last thing I need is for the word to get out! Next thing you know, I'd be banned from the comic book store!

tkdrobert said:
    tkdrobert said:

laughHere's the second illustration from the series for the RPG book. I don't think it's quite as effective as the first one (that one really just came together in a great way), but inasmuch as this is a large, non-moving space station (as opposed to a sleek starship exiting a warp) that sort of movement wasn't going to happen here. I must admit that I'm still considering whether or not I should try adding more little ships swarming around, but they kept cluttering up the basic design and, in the end, I just decided to leave them out.

tkdrobert said:
    tkdrobert said:

No judgement.  wink

I appreciate you cutting me the slack. Last thing I need is for the word to get out! Next thing you know, I'd be banned from the comic book store!

laugh

• DaremoK3DaremoK3 Posts: 798
    edited June 2020

I'm right there with you Mike, I watch TTGo daily (along with Gumball [that show is pure genius]).  I don't care what anyone thinks  --  they can say it to my 200lb(muscular_not fat 5-11) Viking(NinjaSoul) face!  --  But better hope I am not holding a blade (which is always on my person)...  Though, most people cross the street when I am walking down it  --  It saddens me for the ladies, but I love it for the gang members (who only pray on the weak - even in groups - those p*****s)  --  Please, pardon my frankness - this bottle of Fireball is kickin' my azz - but I digest...

Also, I respectfully disagree with Divemakeup  --  I believe the first space-station image is better - better cohesion to your circle motif, and I liked the shuttle stream better - I knew exactly what you were going for.  The second feels forced, and the 'space' now feels like an afterthought.

Take it for what it is - my humble opinion.  It is your project, so the final decision is on you.

Good luck with it though, I am rooting for you as always -- Love your work!

Take care...

Ken

* EDIT :  I raised my last shot to you and tkdrobert (great Thundercats Lion-O) -- You guys are inspiration...

Post edited by DaremoK3 on
    DaremoK3 said:

I'm right there with you Mike, I watch TTGo daily (along with Gumball [that show is pure genius]).  I don't care what anyone thinks  --  they can say it to my 200lb(muscular_not fat 5-11) Viking(NinjaSoul) face!  --  But better hope I am not holding a blade (which is always on my person)...  Though, most people cross the street when I am walking down it  --  It saddens me for the ladies, but I love it for the gang members (who only pray on the weak - even in groups - those p*****s)  --  Please, pardon my frankness - this bottle of Fireball is kickin' my azz - but I digest...

Also, I respectfully disagree with Divemakeup  --  I believe the first space-station image is better - better cohesion to your circle motif, and I liked the shuttle stream better - I knew exactly what you were going for.  The second feels forced, and the 'space' now feels like an afterthought.

Take it for what it is - my humble opinion.  It is your project, so the final decision is on you.

Take care...

Ken

* EDIT :  I raised my last shot to you and tkdrobert (great Thundercats Lion-O) -- You guys are inspiration...

I hope you're hang over isn't too bad. wink

When I was a Resident Assistant in college (Senior Year), we had to decorate our doors before our fellow students came back for the Fall. Our mascot was a tiger, so I create a Tiger-Thundercat symbol on my door. Years later I was at a mall that was selling apparel from my college. On the shirts and sweatshirts were a Tiger-Thundercats-like symbol. I often wonder if someone got the idea from me directly or just had the same inspiration.

• vrba79vrba79 Posts: 1,297

I've been pretty quiet lately, because I'm in the middle of prepping to move and start a job out of state. That doesn't leave much free time for creating.

vrba79 said:

I've been pretty quiet lately, because I'm in the middle of prepping to move and start a job out of state. That doesn't leave much free time for creating.

I hope the move goes well. I look forward to seeing more of your work once things settle down a bit more for you. :)

• DaremoK3 said:

Take care...

Ken

Honestly, I like Gumball, but I don't love Gumball. It's better than okay, but I just haven't gotten into it. Oddly enough, I've caught several episodes of a series on Disney called Miraculous on Disney and I have noticed that it is better written and has a deeper mythology than it appears at first glance. I can't predict I'm going to get sucked into it, but it did surprise me that it was better than I thought it would be.

Thanks for enjoying my first draft of the space station. I'll probably find something else to do with that version (I always keep multiple files with significant versions). I know what you mean about the station pushing space to the background, but it turns out I'm happier with this version. It just seems to speak to people on a wider scale. For example, I posted it to a comic book art group on Facebook and was stunned at the reaction it received from the traditional media artists. It got more than 100 "Likes" in less than 24 hours, which is pretty good since I think it's only the second or third illustration I've posted there. 

Gotta run. I need to do some research on my next illustration. It's going to feature alien claim jumpers, so I'm looking to blend sci-fi with Western tropes. Wish me luck!

• vrba79 said:

Good luck with the move! My wife and I are talking about moving when she retires (in about two years), and I live in dread of the thought of packing this stuff up!

edited June 2020
    DaremoK3 said:

Take care...

Ken

Oddly enough, I've caught several episodes of a series on Disney called Miraculous on Disney and I have noticed that it is better written and has a deeper mythology than it appears at first glance. I can't predict I'm going to get sucked into it, but it did surprise me that it was better than I thought it would be.

I had to look it up - I have to say, I really like that art style. 

Those characters are adorable too! Right up my alley -if they where characters in the Daz3D store they'd be flying into my cart. lol It makes me wish I got Disney shows.

Post edited by 3Diva on
This discussion has been closed.