StrangeFate's stuff: Tribal Armor & Body Paints out now!

Comments

• WillowRavenWillowRaven Posts: 3,724

These shields look awesome!

• DarwinsMishapDarwinsMishap Posts: 4,072

They do!  Another insta-buy. :D  Between you two and Stonemason and a few other PAs- I know where my spending allowance goes. lol

• ChumlyChumly Posts: 793

Cool shields.... 
    I definately need them.  But is there a way (or future plans) to make shields where we can incorporate our own/logo designs?  

My Daz-fu is weak so I don't know if its a complicated thing I am asking

• StrangeFateStrangeFate Posts: 755

Glad you all like them, I know shields are not exactly epic, but they were mostly fun to do.

@PJWhoopie - It is and it isn't complicated, it all depends on the expected results :)

The forward facing wood in all shields is on a separate UV so that helps make things a bit easier, in theory you can replace the images of that material and you'll get your design on the shield. It won't be perfect because the UV has gaps between the boards, so you'd be missing some vertical stripes of image where the gaps are.

I could prepare a Substance Painter project with all the layers set up so that people can paint or put their images inside a specific Painter group, and everything in there would automatically end up looking like shield paint, with all the scratches, worn edges etc... and no gaps, but this would require people to have Substance Painter and the ability to paint or import their images... and then know how to hit export and export them to the Shield's Textures folder. In Daz I would then have a material already set up to pickup what was exported, provided the user didn't change the export names and such.

Another option would be to save a version of a shield with a disc floating on top of the wood that the user can fill with his Diffuse / Basecolor image. I could still force the image to feel a bit like worn paint by adding an opacity map with the scratches, wear etc, showing the wood underneath. WIth that approach, any square image could be slotted into the disc's material, no substance painter required.

This last option would be the easiest for you I imagine, but more work for us as we'd have to add a new version of the shield at this point, and we'd probably only do 1, the basic viking shield which has the most space to paint available.

The current UV layout for the painted part of all wooden type shields looks the same, the image below is the texture for the snake shield in the last image I posted, you can see the gaps between the wood but other than that I tried to line things up as well as I could, since I figured some people might want to try to do their own stuff, sooo perhaps that might be enough ? :

• ChumlyChumly Posts: 793

That is pretty cool... And thanks for the explanation.

I was just looking for an "easy-ish" way to recreate some of my old D&D figures' shields from back in the day..

Hmmm, we'll be adding more paints to the shields over time, either through a product update whenever I finish a new armor, to add paints that suit the armor's war paints or, new paints will be included with new environment products that have new compatible paints (from decorative shields like the ones used in Inn or Bedroom have (that were not compatible yet)).

So what I can do, is add shield paints people suggest through those means whenever we update the product or release a product that includes shield paints anyway. Only condition would be that the designs can't contain any obvious copyrighted stuff (so no Skyrim logo and such). That aside, if it's a reasonable design, simple or not, we can always throw in it with the others we're doing. The way I have things set up in Painter right now, it's very easy to add new paints keeping all the wear effects.

Not much I can do about the different shield types atm, but I'd be surprised if we don't do another shield product with new shields with different shapes. The current product was done to give more use to mostly existing stuff, but it would be fun to do more Fantasy shields down the road anyway.

A first promo image for the shields. ROguey is currently doing the mirrored versions for the right arm and then they're done.

• DarwinsMishapDarwinsMishap Posts: 4,072

That's a damn fine promo for a damn fine product. :) 

• lilweeplilweep Posts: 2,234

not to rob you of your glory in the moment, but what will you be doing next?

• L'AdairL'Adair Posts: 9,479

After kitbashing a scene using food from the Red Crow Inn, I realized how much I'd love a product that was just food and utensils in the same vein: Slices of bread, with varying amounts of "bites" out of them, forks and spoons with food, sliced meats, "empty" plates with remains, etc. I've got lots of products with food, but yours is the most realistic.

I don't know how viable a product it would be, but if you guys make such a product, I'll buy it.

• JOdelJOdel Posts: 6,250

Yeah, very few dirty dishes in the Poserverse. And those would come in handy for storytelling.

Interesting... Sky's the limit and all people want are dirty dishes :)

yeah... i personally would just kitbash a half eaten bit of bread on a plate from one of the myriad photogrammetry assets circulating the web, but that's just me.

What we can't easily do is make whole environments/armours in such a cohesive/visionary way as you.

edited June 2020

@lilweep - after the shields we'll be finishing a g8 version of the brutal weapons that come with some new stuff.

After that, roguey has been working on a hobbit style home that we'll release as separate rooms that can be linked together, hopefully with some modularity to choose how to connect the rooms... There will also be an exterior for that one. A few rooms are mostly finished with some architecture and texturing still to be done.

After that, another armor... And after that another room of the hobbit house followed by another armor followed by the next room followed by another armor :)
    I'll see if we can add dirty dishes and unfinished meals with some of those hobbit rooms.

After all that, there's a long list to choose from. I've been wanting for a while to do some exteriors, ruins and such... And also armors for...... Animals... Kinda like the wolf mounts of world of War craft or I guess the tiger from he-man, just done in a more realistic fashion.
    There's some good big cats, bears etc on the store that would be fun to work with. Also wanted to do dwarf stuff, from armor to a ram mount like in the Hobbits movie etc etc etc... Not lacking ideas.

Post edited by StrangeFate on
  • OdinVonDOdinVonD Posts: 243
    @lilweep - after the shields we'll be finishing a g8 version of the brutal weapons that come with some new stuff. After that, roguey has been working on a hobbit style home that we'll release as separate rooms that can be linked together, hopefully with some modularity to choose how to connect the rooms... There will also be an exterior for that one. A few rooms are mostly finished with some architecture and texturing still to be done. After that, another armor... And after that another room of the hobbit house followed by another armor followed by the next room followed by another armor :) I'll see if we can add dirty dishes and unfinished meals with some of those hobbit rooms After all that, there's a long list to choose from. I've been wanting for a while to do some exteriors, ruins and such... And also armors for...... Animals... Kinda like the wolf mounts of world of War craft or I guess the tiger from he-man, just done in a more realistic fashion. There's some good big cats, bears etc on the store that would be fun to work with. Also wanted to do dwarf stuff, from armor to a ram mount like in the Hobbits movie etc etc etc... Not lacking ideas.

OH MAN

• JOdelJOdel Posts: 6,250

The Hobbit house sounds great. There used to be an old, old version of one (the files are dated 2002) which went clearance/disappearance on Rendo several years back. It had good promos, and I finally couldn't resist it. But that was basically just an .obj model, not even set up for Poser, which was really hard to work with. And of course one couldn't hide any walls to maneuver a camera around.

@JOdel - Our version will be a kitbash of Hobbit reference and some personal touches/changes/additions to avoid any copyright issues.

BTW, plans of what we do may change anytime... if I get tired of armors or if she gets tired of the hobbit stuff or something doesn't perform somewhat decently, then we might take a break and move to some of the other ideas.

Was playing around with Promos and realized that the Kadis armor colors work pretty fine for the more colorful shield variations :)

The shields were only gonna be for G8, but now Roguey is adding support for G3 too.

I'll probably re-render this image with some sort of background...

• edited June 2020

Most of all I am interested in the male dark fantasy armor)

Post edited by dankodanai_0815a7f74f on
  • L'AdairL'Adair Posts: 9,479
    Interesting... Sky's the limit and all people want are dirty dishes :)

Not exactly. I want the sky, too!
    wink

I love hobbitses, so that series will be a no-brainer for me. And I've earmarked some of my store credit for the latest armor set. Looks like I've got more fantasy renders in my future. Thank you.
    smiley

Curious how come Strangefate's name isnt in the vendor list for the European Apartment?

• memcneil70memcneil70 Posts: 3,729
    edited June 2020

Any chance of peasant clothing? All these warriors need folks to serve them, to protect, to attack, or be rescued. Something from the Dark Ages, 800AD to 1300AD? 

Or historical Chinese clothing/armor/artifacts?

Just want to give you both my money.

Post edited by memcneil70 on
  • Yes, really lacking simple medieval civilians with good worn textures

@lilweep - It was to meet some Daz requirements for new PAs.

@memcneil70 - @dankodanai_0815a7f74f - Civilian clothes aren't that exciting to work on sadly :)

A female samurai armor is on my wish list (which I guess is more of a Japanese thing), as well as a temple area in the same style for which some builgins are already blocked out from a previous project some years ago, but both things, the armor and temple wouldn't be exactly historically correct and more in the beefed up style you'd see in movies, games or art, or something in between.

There are also some pretty decent medeival/historical civilian clothes out there. Quite a few are also PC+ items which make them cheap if you're subscribed. 

Been a while, almost.

Bone Breaker armor is coming out very soon, and the shields shortly after.

A G8 version of the Brutal weapons will be submitted soon. The G8 version comes with emissive/glowing versions of all weapons and owners of the G3 versions should get a discount, and vice versa I think (I assume Daz can make discounts work both ways).

Some shield and Brutal weapons promos... I've been mostly reusing promo scenes and poses from the different products, so most of them feature a bit of every product done lately :)

And all the emissives:

edited June 2020

So cool.  Your renders are always really good!

Post edited by lilweep on

Wow! Amazing stuff! 

• New Project, new... exterior!

Not very exciting visually (yet ?), but a first go at using Daz's 4 Layer Uber PBR MDL shader to blend the yellow plaster and gray damage textures, rather than using a larger, custom texture ( = much less VRAM usage with blending vs. a big custom texture).

I hadn't looked into texture blending with Daz until now and it's not the shader of my dreams but should do well enough for some of the larger exteriors I wanted to do down the road.

• algovincianalgovincian Posts: 2,575

Well, it looks great so if it helps cut down on VRAM usage without sacrificing quality . . . that's huge.

- Greg