a using DAZ content in UE4 thread

Comments

• EllessarrEllessarr Posts: 1,390

yeah i also have some issue with the "export" system, while it's awesome to be able to export morphs and others stuffs the fact which it don't proper export the "texture" is a big issue making we need to export all the missing maps like normal, specular and others, would be good if they fix this making the "export feature" export all the used maps not just the "base color'

One of the things my plugin does is collect all those extra textures for you smiley

I was watching for a DM from you by the way, didn't see one.  So if you sent me one, I'm not ignoring you, just can't find it.

lol, it's weird i sended one and now after check it, it's seens which indeed the dm was not really sended i will try again now.

yeah i also have some issue with the "export" system, while it's awesome to be able to export morphs and others stuffs the fact which it don't proper export the "texture" is a big issue making we need to export all the missing maps like normal, specular and others, would be good if they fix this making the "export feature" export all the used maps not just the "base color'

One of the things my plugin does is collect all those extra textures for you smiley

I was watching for a DM from you by the way, didn't see one.  So if you sent me one, I'm not ignoring you, just can't find it.

I wish I coudl understand using DAZ assets in UE. Unfortunately, I've never seen a DAZ character in UE look even a quarter as good as it does in Iray, which is baffling to me. 

well because you must know how to configure the shader to match iray, which is indeed a little troublesome to do, you really must know how to work with textures in unreal

• I wish I coudl understand using DAZ assets in UE. Unfortunately, I've never seen a DAZ character in UE look even a quarter as good as it does in Iray, which is baffling to me. 

The biggest difference is that you can spend minutes per frame in Iray, but you need to render 30 frames per second or more in Unreal.  So you end up having to take a lot of shortcuts in the materials.  You can also just hit render and get something decent in Daz Studio because the materials were built to render in Daz Studio.  There's a lot more setup involved in trying to match them up in Unreal.

http://davidvodhanel.com/daz-to-unreal-close-ups/

• I wish I coudl understand using DAZ assets in UE. Unfortunately, I've never seen a DAZ character in UE look even a quarter as good as it does in Iray, which is baffling to me. 

The biggest difference is that you can spend minutes per frame in Iray, but you need to render 30 frames per second or more in Unreal.  So you end up having to take a lot of shortcuts in the materials.  You can also just hit render and get something decent in Daz Studio because the materials were built to render in Daz Studio.  There's a lot more setup involved in trying to match them up in Unreal.

http://davidvodhanel.com/daz-to-unreal-close-ups/

• KetsyColaKetsyCola Posts: 86

I wish I coudl understand using DAZ assets in UE. Unfortunately, I've never seen a DAZ character in UE look even a quarter as good as it does in Iray, which is baffling to me. 

A lot of that has more to do with the artists in question, rather than the software itself. The thing about Daz is that it's fairly simple, making it easier to get a good result. Unreal, like any other 3d package, gives users a metric sh*t ton of control. On one hand, it's great because you can get the exact look you want, but the trade-off is that it does require more knowledge about real world lighting and physics, and requires more work on behalf of the user.

• davidtriunedavidtriune Posts: 452

does anyone know how to make these shadows look softer? I have ray tracing turned on, static lighting off, global illumination on. 

• WendyLuvsCatzWendyLuvsCatz Posts: 37,794

I shared this to the wrong thread blush

I cannot get anything to move in the Megascans Abandoned Apartment Demo

be it a cinecamera, first or third person player, 

they will do their rotations and idles but won't jump or move forward/backwards 

they do in their own map but not this one

nothing by them seems to have collisions 

you means any character or just this bunny??, i can check it later.

edited May 2020
    Ellessarr said:

anything even cameras

would be able to do sequencer renders probably not tried

Post edited by WendyLuvsCatz on
    edited May 2020
    Ellessarr said:

anything even cameras

hmm it's really seens related to "bad collision", would be good for you to check again each of the "objects collision and maybe "regenerate new collision", because it's looks like being related to collision of the scene with the player capsule.

hmm i don't have a RTS then i can't check it since it requires a RTX for ray tracing.

Post edited by Ellessarr on
    Ellessarr said:
    Ellessarr said:

anything even cameras

hmm it's really seens related to "bad collision", would be good for you to check again each of the "objects collision and maybe "regenerate new collision", because it's looks like being related to collision of the scene with the player capsule.

most things didn't even have collision, I tried removing it on the capsule but of course then I fall through the floor, looks like I need to go through each thing maybe remove all but the floor

• Ellessarr said:

lol, to be fair i really doubt any "game" will use "millions" poly count asset anytime soons even "after the release", because it would means make the game get like 3x to 10x more "space", like a 10 giga space game turning in a 30 to 100 giga space game, or a 100 giga become like a "1 tera", that would be insane, worst would be "imagine have to "download" this monstrous game in your pc, but it can help improve the "polygon budget" which some peoples use to "attack" games or using assets A or B in game and all the "optimization issue.

I think that's what the crazy-fast SSD is for. They say it can load the equivalent of the PS5's entire memory capacity in two seconds.

Ellessarr said:

lol, to be fair i really doubt any "game" will use "millions" poly count asset anytime soons even "after the release", because it would means make the game get like 3x to 10x more "space", like a 10 giga space game turning in a 30 to 100 giga space game, or a 100 giga become like a "1 tera", that would be insane, worst would be "imagine have to "download" this monstrous game in your pc, but it can help improve the "polygon budget" which some peoples use to "attack" games or using assets A or B in game and all the "optimization issue.

I think that's what the crazy-fast SSD is for. They say it can load the equivalent of the PS5's entire memory capacity in two seconds.

and I just watched this

considerrably less polys not but certainly less impressive given it was made using the Dreams game on PS4

• FrankTheTankFrankTheTank Posts: 1,131

I would like to render the main characters in DS, and render the background, supporting characters in UE or Unity. That way I would have the best of both worlds. Currently thats how I render animations in DAZ. I render my foreground characters at higher iterations, and render the backgrounds at lower iterations and put the layers together in post. 

I'm really trying to figure out if its worth my time to try to figure out how to use DAZ assets with UE or Unity5 right now. Unless there is a was a way to synchronize camera and animation between DS and either UE4 or U5 its probably not worth the effort. Does anyone know if this is possible? Is it possible to duplicate scenes in both and sync camera movement or export camera data and somehow translate that in DS? 

TGSNT said:

I would like to render the main characters in DS, and render the background, supporting characters in UE or Unity. That way I would have the best of both worlds. Currently thats how I render animations in DAZ. I render my foreground characters at higher iterations, and render the backgrounds at lower iterations and put the layers together in post. 

I'm really trying to figure out if its worth my time to try to figure out how to use DAZ assets with UE or Unity5 right now. Unless there is a was a way to synchronize camera and animation between DS and either UE4 or U5 its probably not worth the effort. Does anyone know if this is possible? Is it possible to duplicate scenes in both and sync camera movement or export camera data and somehow translate that in DS? 

well to duplicate the scen you would need to export the scene to maya then in maya maybe you can combine all the scene elements if none of then gonna be animated, otherwise you would need to i think "regroup the objects and make the scene in hand if you not already did it, i'm talking about going from daz to unreal, about the cam that is the bad side, to be fair unreal does have a animation tool to animate stuffs inside unreal but since you want the "high quality" of daz "high resolution meshes then i can understand want to animate inside daz.

• davidtriunedavidtriune Posts: 452
    Ellessarr said:

and I just watched this

considerrably less polys not but certainly less impressive given it was made using the Dreams game on PS4

i wonder if modelling in vr is easier than zbrush. that guy make it seem that way. 

Ellessarr said:

and I just watched this

i wonder if modelling in vr is easier than zbrush. that guy make it seem that way. 

there seems to be some awesome scenes being made in Dreams and I dare say the physical " being there" and sculpting with hand held tools would have a lot to do with it.

• does anyone know how to make these shadows look softer? I have ray tracing turned on, static lighting off, global illumination on. 

Sometimes the normal maps on the Daz character just come out too strong in UE4.  I ussually use a Flatten Normal node in the material to soften those.

is there a tutorial on how to import Daz assets into UE4? I''ve installed UE 4.25 and VS 2017 earlier today, ran through a few basic UE4 tutorials. Now trying to export "Secluded Island" as FBX. Not sure what settings to use. Can I get a quick rundown or link?  Most of the tutorials I find are dealing with figures, but I don't want to use UE4 for figures. I'm going to animate backgrounds in UE4, then create basically a "green screen" within Daz using a plane which covers the whole background, then I'll animate that plane with UE4 rendererd PNGs using Texture Animater, and then animate my Daz figures in front of that just like hollywood movies. I think it should work. I've done similar stuff to produce campfire in Daz. 

TGSNT said:

is there a tutorial on how to import Daz assets into UE4? I''ve installed UE 4.25 and VS 2017 earlier today, ran through a few basic UE4 tutorials. Now trying to export "Secluded Island" as FBX. Not sure what settings to use. Can I get a quick rundown or link?  Most of the tutorials I find are dealing with figures, but I don't want to use UE4 for figures. I'm going to animate backgrounds in UE4, then create basically a "green screen" within Daz using a plane which covers the whole background, then I'll animate that plane with UE4 rendererd PNGs using Texture Animater, and then animate my Daz figures in front of that just like hollywood movies. I think it should work. I've done similar stuff to produce campfire in Daz. 

hmm you want to export the "whole" scene in the way it is"???, i'm not too sure but i think you just need to "mark the props" box in the export menu, i'm not 100% sure if you can export the "whole scene in a single hit, if not you must export each piece then build the scene in unreal again in both case you gonna have to proper set the texture maps since remember daz normally only export base map, things like normal, specular and others maps are skiped only in few cases daz bring then too, then in case of that happen you must find each object scene paste and get the proper missing maps.

another note here a amazing tutorial i've found today:

really good tutorial for using daz characters in unreal.

Ellessarr said:
    TGSNT said:

hmm you want to export the "whole" scene in the way it is"???, i'm not too sure but i think you just need to "mark the props" box in the export menu, i'm not 100% sure if you can export the "whole scene in a single hit, if not you must export each piece then build the scene in unreal again in both case you gonna have to proper set the texture maps since remember daz normally only export base map, things like normal, specular and others maps are skiped only in few cases daz bring then too, then in case of that happen you must find each object scene paste and get the proper missing maps.

Thanks for those links.. and regarding importing the whole scene, Yes, it can be done! I figured it out this afternoon. After a frustrating day yesterday, I am really starting to like Unreal now. Simple things look very complicated at first, but its just getting used to a new way of doing things. 

TGSNT said:
    Ellessarr said:
    TGSNT said:

Thanks for those links.. and regarding importing the whole scene, Yes, it can be done! I figured it out this afternoon. After a frustrating day yesterday, I am really starting to like Unreal now. Simple things look very complicated at first, but its just getting used to a new way of doing things. 

yeah normally you get scared at first, because it's nost just "one click" like daz and all the magic is done, but once you learn the basic on how to do things everything get easy and fast.

hmm i would like to know how you did it because, i failed to do that, i only was able to export in obj and not the ready scene it ended being export the props without any texture and needing to reasemble the scene, would be good know the right way to do that or at last how you did.

Ellessarr said:
    TGSNT said:
    Ellessarr said:
    TGSNT said:

hmm i would like to know how you did it because, i failed to do that, i only was able to export in obj and not the ready scene it ended being export the props without any texture and needing to reasemble the scene, would be good know the right way to do that or at last how you did.

The trick is Instead of importing from the content browser in UE (the big green button), you must go to "file > import into level >"  and it will create a "blueprint class" which will tell it where all the individual pieces go. I pretty much take all the defaults and it works pretty well. Some textures still need to be done manually of course, but all the indivividual meshes/props at least get put in the proper place so you're not  spending hours having to build the whole thing like a puzzle. It usually works pretty well. I don't think it will work if you import obj though. I've only had luck with fbx imports this way. I export from Daz using the FBX 02014 binary option.  

here the new "hair system video

and here a quick tutorial on how to work with it using bender:

it's looks really cool.

thanks yes

those are very useful tutorials you found, explain more than any I have seen

• MacislavMacislav Posts: 126
    edited June 2020

Has anyone had luck in using DAZ characters with jcms (Genesis 8...) in UE4 without any troubles like getting false shadows in the armpit area (pose with raised arms) or getting seams everywhere on the mesh with activated skincache (to counter the false shading)?

Just export the standard gen 8 char with all jcms to ue4, make a pose with arms up, export that pose to ue4 and you will see the ugly glitch.

Post edited by Macislav on
    Macislav said:

Has anyone had luck in using DAZ characters with jcms (Genesis 8...) in UE4 without any troubles like getting false shadows in the armpit area (pose with raised arms) or getting seams everywhere on the mesh with activated skincache (to counter the false shading)?

Just export the standard gen 8 char with all jcms to ue4, make a pose with arms up, export that pose to ue4 and you will see the ugly glitch.

would be good if you could provide a picture of the glitch

• nonesuch00nonesuch00 Posts: 17,922
    Ellessarr said:

Those sort of polycounts are just opening the door to computer calculated automated creation of game models because practically speaking your eyes or the monitors either one can't detect all those details. So games when all models in it are procedurally generated and the game maker is just writing a game script are in the future.

edited June 2020

The glitch looks like in the attachment: (standard gen 8 character with jcms, skin material just color, arms up pose)

Left image: with support compute skincache

Right image: without support compute skincache

The problem lies clearly with Unreal Engine as it became even buggier with the new official 4.25.1 update.

Has anyone found any workarounds to remove this shading/seam glitch, because aby new update will take several months?

shadow_seam.jpg
    1213 x 568 - 74K
    Macislav said:

The glitch looks like in the attachment: (standard gen 8 character with jcms, skin material just color, arms up pose)

Left image: with support compute skincache

Right image: without support compute skincache

The problem lies clearly with Unreal Engine as it became even buggier with the new official 4.25.1 update.

Has anyone found any workarounds to remove this shading/seam glitch, because aby new update will take several months?

are you using the "dual quartenion" version of unreal??? if yes try to test the same with a "normal version" non dual quartenion", the jcm still "works" because it's is a morph", the bend not gonna just work good as if it have the "DQ" but gonna still work, if you are not using the DQ then it could be really related to daz, you have all the "maps" proper applied, i means, normal, Ambient occlusion and Specular map" normally they are the ones to deal with the "light" then you also have the rebuild the light, because i's seens related to some "light configurations".

edited June 2020

Example is from  the normal version, but DQ version has same glitch.

Example has one simple color material only (skin textures have the same problem).

Do you know of any specific material settings or node setups, which could solve this? This is a general problem with morph targets, because makehuman characters have this as well.

Really no one has noticed it?